Apple design chief Jony Ive to depart later this year, create new studio with Apple as cli...

Comments

• Reply 121 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Sell your stocks folks....

If you think Jony is the genius they purport him out to be then you must not know his past before we at NeXT arrived and saved Apple. The guy has a warehouse of bad ideas that went nowhere. Only after he met NeXT creative teams and Steve dictated several ideas did the ``boy genius'' surface.
    What happened to those NeXT creative teams? Are many of them still at Apple?
    I’m curious what NeXT, a software company, would have to do with industrial design.
    NeXT Computer had some incredible HW designs. I also recall a video showing NeXT's sophisticated automated manufacturing plant in the US. 
  • Reply 122 of 186
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    And, of course, John “get off my lawn” Gruber begins the handwringing. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And everyone in the tech press kissing his ass tweeting what a great piece it was. No actually it was hot garbage.
    Mossberg agrees with Gruber

dblanch369
  • Reply 123 of 186
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    And, of course, John “get off my lawn” Gruber begins the handwringing. ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️

And everyone in the tech press kissing his ass tweeting what a great piece it was. No actually it was hot garbage.
    Mark Gurman just wrote a piece detailing his scoop on Jony Ive leaving.  This part doesn't sound encouraging

"The design team is made up of the most creative people, but now there is an operations barrier that wasn’t there before," one former Apple executive said. "People are scared to be innovative."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/inside-apple-s-long-goodbye-to-design-chief-jony-ive

Also, just saw a tweet mentioning how all of Tim Cook's recent selections for many key senior executive positions have operations backgrounds.  Coincidence? I think not.

edited June 2019 kestral
  • Reply 124 of 186
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    tzeshan said:
    A design is not an art. A design has to fit on a useful thing. This is what Ive missed after the passing of Jobs. 
    If you think Apple designs don’t follow function, you haven’t been paying attention. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 125 of 186

Apple is not 1 person. It’s legendary design team has had little turnover in the last 2 decades. Jony trusts his peers. That’s what is important.
    Actually the highest turnover from Apple's design team has happened in the last year.
    You didn’t refute what he said - little turnover in two decades. It’s a small group. 
  • Reply 126 of 186
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Don't let the door hit you on your flat, thin, aluminum throttled bum on the way out!
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 127 of 186

If you think Jony is the genius they purport him out to be then you must not know his past before we at NeXT arrived and saved Apple. The guy has a warehouse of bad ideas that went nowhere. Only after he met NeXT creative teams and Steve dictated several ideas did the ``boy genius'' surface.
    No ones disputing the software design skills of NeXT, but if you think they were responsible for Ive’s insta-classic ID product design, you’re high. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 128 of 186
    This is the best thing to happen to Apple.

To the news of "Jony Ive leaves Apple", I can only add "Finally!"

He is taking Marc Newsom with him - which indicates that Jony's design mistakes have finally prompted Tim Cook to cut that relationship, and go with a new group (notably the Pro Design group).

Apple is in better hands with Jony Ive, finally!
    edited June 2019 ElCapitan
  • Reply 129 of 186
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is a bit worrisome:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/inside-apple-s-long-goodbye-to-design-chief-jony-ive "
    The design team is made up of the most creative people, but now there is an operations barrier that wasn’t there before," one former Apple executive said. "People are scared to be innovative."
    Also if this article is to be believed, Ive only came to the office a couple times a week:
    Ive still only came to the office a couple of days a week, with many meetings shifting to San Francisco, according the people familiar with the matter. That helped him avoid the long commute from his home in the Pacific Heights district of the city to Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, California. Ive sometimes met with his team at the homes of his employees, at hotels, or other venues. The design executive even set up an office and studio in San Francisco to do much of his work.
    Makes one wonder how involved he was in recent years in products outside of Apple Watch, Apple Park and Apple stores. I can’t imagine someone who’s only at Apple HQ a few times a week is spending much time on Mac keyboards.
  • Reply 130 of 186

starwars said:
    I feel that one of most pressing issue is design notch, it is a make it or break it on how apple innovation in their design and tech. It is most daunting to remove [the notch] without losing its current functionalities. The other is folding. Competitors are evolving on these fronts and looks promising, and I'm waiting to see Apple.
    May I have some of what you’re smoking?
    macplusplusfastasleep
  • Reply 131 of 186
    Nothing to see here.

Let's say another company wanted to hire Ive to do design work for them (like Tesla, as an example). Ive really likes Apple and doesn't want to leave Apple behind and join another company to do their design work for them. But he likes the idea of doing other projects other than Apple.

So he "leaves" Apple and starts his own independent design company. Apple remains a major client, so Ive technically still works for Apple, but he can also work for others as he sees fit. Apple gets to keep Ive and Ive get to do other stuff as well. Seems like a win all around.

To address this - this whole scenario is the equivalent of a company letting an employee go, promising him work as a consultant, throwing them 1-2 bones, and then simply severing ties.

All around, this allows everyone to save face, Jony to ride off into the sunset, and Cook to hopefully, finally, fix most of the mess Jony has left behind, with new and better human interface design teams.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 132 of 186
    And, of course, John “get off my lawn” Gruber begins the handwringing. ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️

Mark Gurman just wrote a piece detailing his scoop on Jony Ive leaving.  This part doesn't sound encouraging

"The design team is made up of the most creative people, but now there is an operations barrier that wasn’t there before," one former Apple executive said. "People are scared to be innovative."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/inside-apple-s-long-goodbye-to-design-chief-jony-ive

Also, just saw a tweet mentioning how all of Tim Cook's recent selections for many key senior executive positions have operations backgrounds.  Coincidence? I think not.

Oops just saw this post! Jeff Williams was SVP of Operations when Cook was COO. I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams is the next CEO. Yes he’s operations but I think he deserves a chance as he’s taking on this new role. He oversees the Watch which has become a very successful product. And my guess is the human interface team is joined at the hip with Craig Federighi’s software teams.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 133 of 186
    This is the best thing to happen to Apple.

To the news of "Jony Ive leaves Apple", I can only add "Finally!"

He is taking Marc Newsom with him - which indicates that Jony's design mistakes have finally prompted Tim Cook to cut that relationship, and go with a new group (notably the Pro Design group).

Apple is in better hands with Jony Ive, finally!
    Right except this Pro Design Group was, and still remains inside hardware engineering. John Ternus, the guy who showed off the Mac Pro at WWDC is part of hardware engineering. The two groups that reported up through Ive are now reporting to Jeff Williams (future Apple CEO in my opinion) not hardware or software engineering.
  • Reply 134 of 186

Kara Swisher too. I’m sure Gruber’s head is swelling as we speak. I still think it’s was a bad piece and one that he’ll either amend or soften on his next podcast.
  • Reply 135 of 186
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Apple is not 1 person. It’s legendary design team has had little turnover in the last 2 decades. Jony trusts his peers. That’s what is important.
    Is that so?

Apple’s “legendary design team” was taken off task by Jonny Ive when iOS 7 was visually redesigned (he gave that task to the print design team, which was an utterly foolish thing to do). There have been numerous stories of seemingly important people leaving over the last decade, but what about all the people who don’t attain celebrity status but still were very important to the actual design legend that once was Apple? How many of the truly experienced and knowledgeable people are really still present?

I’m glad Ive is leaving. Maybe Apple can move on from the pathological thinness obsession. Anorexia hasn’t been good for the practicality of devices.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 136 of 186
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Gruber’s take is sloppy and oversimplistic.  His translation of Tim Cook’s letter regarding Ive’s exit is simply “He’s out.”  That ignores Cook’s statement within that letter,

”...Apple will continue to benefit from Jony’s talents by working directly with him on exclusive projects,...”

Cook could not say that if it were not true.  Not without being sued and raising the ire of the SEC.  
  • Reply 137 of 186
    One tweet I saw claims Apple employees only found out about this when the press release came out and that they were in shock.

And according to the Financial Times, Ive wasn’t at the Apple Park grand opening. He flew to England to be with his father who suffered a stroke.

https://www.ft.com/content/a663d80c-98e7-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 138 of 186
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I don't see this as any big deal at all. Ive did exactly what Jobs did: built a great team that can do the job. After 30 years, it is entirely normal and natural to let some fresh(er) blood take the reins, and Evans, Alan, and Jeff will both carry on the fine work Ive did and expand on it with new thinking.

Ive has done exceptional work and pretty much perfected the iMac, Mac mini, and iPhone/iPad designs. He was bound to retire at some point, having become incredibly rich doing such a great job for Apple, or explore other options while keeping Apple close. I'd much rather this than for him to die at his desk in another 30 years' time because a few fanboys who are afraid of change (um ... if you don't like change, Apple's really not the company for you) refused to let him leave.
    edited June 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 139 of 186
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Good riddance. Maybe the ports will come back now, and better keyboards, upgradeability, repairability, and other common sense things that left lately. Sounds funny how he was the top design officer, but people think he shouldn’t be held accountable for all design decisions. 
    ElCapitan
  • Reply 140 of 186
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Nilay Patel is always ready to dump on Apple. He’s a jackass.
    rogifan_new