Editorial: Apple is neither doomed nor saved now that Jony Ive has moved on

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see Gruber is doing an emergency podcast with Ben Thompson about this news. Because of course what is needed is more hot takes that aren’t fully formed.
    doctwelveAppleExposedradarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 66
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    red oak said:
    Cook really dropped the ball not having a succession plan in place.  It’s nuts having this group now report to Williams.  Nuts.  Ive was there for 25 years and your telling us he did not groom a successor for arguably the most important function within Apple?   This is a breakdown in corporate responsibility 

Almost as bad as having the head of HR run Retail 

Ive has evidently been checked out for years.  Why did Cook not get better ahead of this? 
    I'm sure Cook has some kind of plan in place, but because he's pretty useless, he might not have a very good one. Cook's not a leader. He can't skate to where the puck will be, even within internal Apple people management. People crediting him with the success of the iPhone and AW post Steve are doing Steve a disservice, it is well known Steve had lots of products in the pipeline before his death, Tim is riding Steve's coat tails, spending more time using Apple as a political vehicle than being a CEO. Tim's only answer to falling sales is increased prices. Which results in falling sales, so increase prices... And so on. Tim isn't an innovator, he's an operations guy. A very good operations guy, but that's where he should have stayed. I think Federighi would be much, much better as head of Apple.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 23 of 66
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    > “He's forming his own design firm, and Tim Cook is very clear on how he'll be contributing to Apple going forward. ‘Apple will continue to benefit from Jony's talents by working directly with him on exclusive projects, and through the ongoing work of the brilliant and passionate design team he has built’”

2013: "Scott Forstall will be leaving Apple and will serve as an advisor to CEO Tim Cook in the interim.”

Do you think Scott got more than a birthday card from Cook since leaving the company?

I'm not saying there's bad blood, but this is just corporate-speak. Ive is out.
    Don't think so. Saying Forstall would be an interim advisor is quite different from saying Apple will be a client of Ive's independent company. The "interim" for Forstall apparently lasted about one morning. I suspect they'll ask Ive to do work on more theoretical projects. What he probably wants to get out of is another generation of iPhone. Been there; done that.
    radarthekatfastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 66
    nealc5nealc5 Posts: 44member
    red oak said:
    Cook really dropped the ball not having a succession plan in place.  It’s nuts having this group now report to Williams.  Nuts.  Ive was there for 25 years and your telling us he did not groom a successor for arguably the most important function within Apple?   This is a breakdown in corporate responsibility 

Ive has evidently been checked out for years.  Why did Cook not get better ahead of this? 
    How do you know Cook didn't have a succession plan? We are not privy to the inner workings at Apple.  Jony Ive has been stating for years in public that he'd like to move back to the UK.  As was said in the article "Apple as an institution probably knew when it promoted Ive to Chief Design Officer in 2015."  After 30 years with the same company, I'd imagine there are other things that Apple doesn't make that he'd like to work on. This was not unexpected, and it's naïve to imagine that one of the most successful companies in the world does not have a succession plan.  This was well known for quite a while within Apple, and they waited until the "right" time to publicly announce it.  All the gloom and doom is unfounded. 
    Rayz2016AppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 66
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Folio said:
    This way he can design an intergalactic spaceship for Jeff Bezos
    Will it be one way?
    doctwelveAppleExposed
  • Reply 26 of 66
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    flydog said:
    McJobs said:
    Jonathan is not walking away. He was pushed. The runway is now clear for Scott Forstall return.
    Let this be a lesson to the rest of the forum members that drinking and posting don't mix. 
    You’re no fun. 
  • Reply 27 of 66
    McJobs said:
    Jonathan is not walking away. He was pushed. The runway is now clear for Scott Forstall return.
    Why would Forstall return? Steve Jobs has returned because he was an entrepreneur, we can’t charge Forstall with such a burden. I don’t deny his talent and contribution but I don’t see Apple in such a critical position as to issue calls to old comrades.
    If Forstall was so important how come no other tech company has hired him since he left Apple?
    Doesn’t he work as a consultant for Snapchat?
  • Reply 28 of 66
    nealc5 said:
    red oak said:

How do you know Cook didn't have a succession plan? We are not privy to the inner workings at Apple.  Jony Ive has been stating for years in public that he'd like to move back to the UK.  As was said in the article "Apple as an institution probably knew when it promoted Ive to Chief Design Officer in 2015."  After 30 years with the same company, I'd imagine there are other things that Apple doesn't make that he'd like to work on. This was not unexpected, and it's naïve to imagine that one of the most successful companies in the world does not have a succession plan.  This was well known for quite a while within Apple, and they waited until the "right" time to publicly announce it.  All the gloom and doom is unfounded. 
    When did Jony Ive ever say he wanted to move back to the UK? Do you have a quote from him?
  • Reply 29 of 66
    McJobs said:
    Why would Forstall return? Steve Jobs has returned because he was an entrepreneur, we can’t charge Forstall with such a burden. I don’t deny his talent and contribution but I don’t see Apple in such a critical position as to issue calls to old comrades.
    If Forstall was so important how come no other tech company has hired him since he left Apple?
    No idea. Even if he was, being a consultant for Snapchat is a pretty big step down from being a SVP at Apple. But maybe he didn’t want another big corporate role.
    macxpress
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    > “He's forming his own design firm, and Tim Cook is very clear on how he'll be contributing to Apple going forward. ‘Apple will continue to benefit from Jony's talents by working directly with him on exclusive projects, and through the ongoing work of the brilliant and passionate design team he has built’”

2013: "Scott Forstall will be leaving Apple and will serve as an advisor to CEO Tim Cook in the interim.”

Do you think Scott got more than a birthday card from Cook since leaving the company?

Except when Forstall left he barely got a mention by Cook and was not quoted in Apple’s press release at all. Ive was plus gave an interview to discuss it. Of course that doesn’t mean this isn’t just an exit strategy. But the announcement is very different to what happened with Forstall.
    Well I would argue/speculate the difference is Forstall was fired, and Ives is just bored out of his mind and amicably departed.

Anyway I hope you're right. I'm an Ives fanboy; I know the iOS 7 thing was controversial, but ultimately it had to happen. iOS 6 (and Bondi Blue era Mac OS) were embarrassingly garish, this shit had to grow up. Keyboard reliability aside, I love modern Macbooks. Ives brought us the future, full stop.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 31 of 66
    nealc5nealc5 Posts: 44member
    nealc5 said:
    red oak said:

When did Jony Ive ever say he wanted to move back to the UK? Do you have a quote from him?
    This is from 2011: https://appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/apple_designer_jony_ive_rumored_to_be_considering_move_back_to_uk

dysamoriaretrogustoradarthekat
  • Reply 32 of 66
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    McJobs said:
    No idea. Even if he was, being a consultant for Snapchat is a pretty big step down from being a SVP at Apple. But maybe he didn’t want another big corporate role.
    And if he does, it's either telling that his UI design expertise is poor or Snap don't listen to him. Snapchat's UI is terrible.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 33 of 66
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    With all the recent articles posted yesterday and today, Ive had enough... ;)
    AppleExposedradarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 66
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    I see Gruber is doing an emergency podcast with Ben Thompson about this news. Because of course what is needed is more hot takes that aren’t fully formed.
    Speaking of Ben Thompson, he posted a great write-up on Jony Ive leaving.  Much better than Gruber's take

https://stratechery.com/2019/jony-ive-leaves-apple-ives-legacy-the-post-ive-apple/

I even enjoyed Dieter Bohn's take on what this means for the new era of design at Apple

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/18870887/apple-jony-ive-design-genius-committee
    rogifan_newelijahgfastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 66
    nealc5 said:
    nealc5 said:
    red oak said:

This is from 2011: https://appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/apple_designer_jony_ive_rumored_to_be_considering_move_back_to_uk

No direct quote from him though.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Except when Forstall left he barely got a mention by Cook and was not quoted in Apple’s press release at all. Ive was plus gave an interview to discuss it. Of course that doesn’t mean this isn’t just an exit strategy. But the announcement is very different to what happened with Forstall.
    Well I would argue/speculate the difference is Forstall was fired, and Ives is just bored out of his mind and amicably departed.

Anyway I hope you're right. I'm an Ives fanboy; I know the iOS 7 thing was controversial, but ultimately it had to happen. iOS 6 (and Bondi Blue era Mac OS) were embarrassingly garish, this shit had to grow up. Keyboard reliability aside, I love modern Macbooks. Ives brought us the future, full stop.
    If you’re an Ive fanboy, maybe you should learn to spell his name.

Also, there was next to nothing wrong with iOS 6’s visual design. My iPhone 4 still runs it because I refused to cripple and uglify it with iOS 7. Every time I use it, I see how beautiful it is compared to today’s ugly iOS. Low contrast UI elements, flat Corel Draw-style oversimplified clipart icons, and borderless text as buttons isn’t the future. It’s a massive detour from the beauty, intuitiveness, and readability that put Apple on top with iOS and iPhone. We have pocket-sized print-level resolution displays with fantastic color capabilities, and the current over-simplistic UI skin barely takes advantage of this.

By the way, that’s all it is: a skin. The only actual GUI change was the control center; everything else is the same UI elements, reskinned as harder to look at (and lacking any visual cues as to what the control is). Dark mode might help, marginally, but it too looks like a clumsy shift to mere tone/color opposites, not a mode made with curated design choices.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    And from Ben Thompson, his least impressive guest who has the least understanding of what makes Apple, Apple. (His bio says he's worked for Apple and Microsoft both, but he constantly sounds like a PC guy not getting Apple). Blah. 

Gruber is becoming more of a pearl clutcher ever since he joined Marco Arment's Techie Echo Chamber of Doom, Worry, and Concern (tm).
    macpluspluspscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 66
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Regardless, we're not suddenly going to get thicker iPhones.
    Yeah, it wouldn’t be sudden given that they’ve been getting thicker since they reached peak thinness with iPhone 6.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    McJobs said:
    He’s a theatre producer or something. 
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Someone on Twitter posed the theory that Tim Cook is actually dissing Ive but is letting Apple pundits do the dirty work for him. That basically Gruber and others all want continued access to Apple so if they’re being at all critical it’s tacitly approved from Apple HQ. I think this is the worst of the hot takes I’ve seen so far.  :D
    AppleExposed