Apple's best designs by Jony Ive, according to the AppleInsider staff

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

How come neither Neil, nor Dan posted their favourites?

I'd also vote for the iPhone X and probably the latest iPad Pro.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    iPhone 5s/SE.

Amen!
  • Reply 43 of 47
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    scatz said:
    I've got the latest air, and that is certainly a beauty (could do with a chunkier processor though I think, it is slower than my 2012 macbook pro). Have now got used to the new butterfly keyboard for light day to day home use and it is fine. But, for intense work use, sorry Apple, the pre-butterfly keyboard is preferable.
    I love the MB Air, but I feel it always falls short. I've owned one and my wife has had a few over the years. The problem is that they never really perfected it. The first ones had issues. Then when the overall machine was nearly perfect, it had the sub-par screen. Now, they fixed that, but put the problematic keyboard in there. So, aside from the screen, there was never really a model of it that was as good as it should have been.

Dead-on with the MBP though. When I worked in corporate IT, even the Windows using executives used MBPs with Windows loaded on them. It was one of the few products that the anti-Mac main IT department could actually see justifying, as it was just that good. Aside from the GPU issues, they were pretty rock-solid, too.

chasm said:
    I'm not sure it would be my favourite Ive design, but the iPod Shuffle I thought was an incredible achievement in both minimalism and form. It quickly become the first "wearable" music player and yet stripped away almost everything we thought of as the iPod.
    The watch, I suppose, will eventually replace it, but I know people who still seek out the simplistic Shuffle for exercise. While it wasn't for me, it had a super-cult following!

chasm said:
    If I had to pick one thing, I'd probably name the iMac (recent versions) as my favourite. Simply put, the iMac is the ultimate desktop computer. The core concept behind the original Macs and the iMacs didn't spring from Ive, but it was he who took the core concept of the iMac -- hide "the computer" behind the screen -- and honed it to perfection.
    You talked about it on Space Javelin, but I don't get why they refuse to put an HDMI (or something like that) in port on it. I agree that the the old ways of doing it were less than useful (even if possible)... but why not a simple purely alternate port that just uses the display? For example, if I want to use a PC under the desk, or hook up a PS4/Xbox or something, it just can't be done with an iMac display.

Aside from that, I'd probably agree. Well, and the typical cooling issues (across most of the Mac lineup), which the iMac Pro solves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    cornchip said:
    iPhone 5s/SE.
    Amen!
    Yeah, I love the design. If you gave me a choice between an SE (as it currently is) with current CPU/GPU and maybe a haptic home button (if possible), and any other decked out model of the iPhone, it wouldn't even be a hard decision.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    There are so many great designs to choose from. From a purely aesthetic point of view I have long thought that the Studio Display, last CRT version is one of the most beautiful designs. By far the most elegant stand on a display. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Useless Message PosterUseless Message Poster Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    ir

G4 Cube

This - so beautiful
  • Reply 47 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    callison said:
    There are so many great designs to choose from. From a purely aesthetic point of view I have long thought that the Studio Display, last CRT version is one of the most beautiful designs. By far the most elegant stand on a display. 

Is that an old airport converted to a lamp shade?