Samsung Electronics CEO admits he launched the Galaxy Fold too early

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung Electronics' CEO, D.J. Koh, has claimed responsibility for the premature launch of the Galaxy Fold, which is still awaiting a new release date.

Broken Samsung Galaxy Fold

"It was embarrassing. I pushed it through before it was ready," Koh told The Independent and other press outlets at a meeting in Seoul. "I do admit I missed something on the foldable phone, but we are in the process of recovery."

Over 2,000 Folds are now undergoing testing, he explained. "We defined all the issues. Some issues we didn't even think about, but thanks to our reviewers, mass volume testing is ongoing," he said.

The Galaxy Fold is the first foldable smartphone from a major vendor. It was originally slated to ship April 26, but early reviewers ran into problems with broken screens, usually along the hinge line. Samsung averted disaster by delaying launch yet has gone months without a significant update.

The issue has even prompted Huawei to delay its foldable Mate X.

Apple has been exploring the concept of its own foldable devices for years, but there's no sign of them shipping anytime soon. 2019 iPhones are expected to stick with flat OLED and LCD panels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Really pathetic. Sad really.
    guscatolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    One of those obvious things
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    But at least they were innovative ;-) Albeit prematurely. But really, I still don't see it. Nice gimmick. Something new and shiny, yes. Can't believe some people fall for the trap of "newness". New is not the end station. I want a good implementation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    No worry.  AvonB7 will chime in shortly with his pro-Samsung stance.
    StrangeDaysracerhomie3williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,671member
    sflocal said:
    My stance hasn't changed. I think there is a market for these devices. Very small at first due to price mainly, then slowly reaching the premium mass market. The key issue though will be durability in the real world. 

This first generation will live or die by that factor alone.

In the Independent piece, the CEO basically goes as far as to admit that they needed to get something out before a competitor could upstage them. It backfired but I'm not going to shoot the product down before it's even released.

Real world performance is what counts, so I'll wait to see how it performs.

beowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 26
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Of course Samsung never actually “launched” the Fold. They just put a bunch in the hands of reviewers.
    guscatpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 26
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    Now compare this to so called „AntennaGate“
    lkruppviclauyycguscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Said Koh: "Doh!"
    welshdogSoundJudgmentStrangeDaysguscatolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    What's the advantage to a folding phone? Just a bigger screen?
    Seems like something a segment of the market would really like, but most would not.
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

welshdog said:
    What's the advantage to a folding phone? Just a bigger screen?
    Seems like something a segment of the market would really like, but most would not.
    These crummy asian knockoffs have yet to explain the "why" of their gimmicky products, and only the "how".... Typical.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:
    My stance hasn't changed. I think there is a market for these devices. Very small at first due to price mainly, then slowly reaching the premium mass market. The key issue though will be durability in the real world. 

Why? What problem do they solve? 
    StrangeDaysguscatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I absolutely think there's a market for foldable phones, just not this version, not yet. The typical use case is obvious, or should be. The concept is sound but this Samsung was a prototype/demo at best and just as obviously never should have shipped.

A foldable phone needs to be light and thin. Both of those metrics can be more than today's non-folders, because there will some compromise with the market willing to make some compromise for the larger screen. But even if this same Samsung were durable, it's just too thick and too heavy for 99.9% of  those wanting a folder. Once the novelty wore off, this thing would be a brick. A functional brick, but still a brick.
    caladanianmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    krreagan2krreagan2 Posts: 75member
    " Samsung averted disaster"

Ahhh no they didn't!! it was a complete and utter disaster!
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    macgui said:
    I absolutely think there's a market for foldable phones, just not this version, not yet. The typical use case is obvious, or should be. The concept is sound but this Samsung was a prototype/demo at best and just as obviously never should have shipped.
    Just for clarity, what is the obvious use case?
    guscatpscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:
    My stance hasn't changed. I think there is a market for these devices.
    A market for faulty devices that can't even survive hand picked units for a very limited journalist review. Got it. 
    guscatpscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    macgui said:
    Just for clarity, what is the obvious use case?
    Having option for ginormous screen that folds to half-size form factor. Or, maybe, one that folds dozens of times and becomes so thick it must be transported by rickshaw. 
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    “Man, they thought of everything!” - Winblows fan friend after discovering iMac G5 sleep light dimmed (or brightened) in response to ambient light

“Some issues we didn't even think about.” - Scamdung Electronics CEO
    edited July 2019 radarthekatmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

In the Independent piece, the CEO basically goes as far as to admit that they needed to get something out before a competitor could upstage them. It backfired but I'm not going to shoot the product down before it's even released.

Sorry, it will never reach premium mass market. But Sammy will state sales are quite smooth. 
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

And there you go...

You can sugarcoat it as much as you want.  The reality is that Samsung did "release" it, real-world performance was determined, it was a complete disaster.  

Apple would never get the kind of forgiveness that you and others give the iKnockoffs.  This was Samsung's first attempt to not copy the iPhone, and it just shows that they have zero ability to put anything out without their R&D department in Cupertino.

But hey... you keep riding that Samsung train!
    StrangeDaysguscatpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 26
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

Fat Phone, Square Tablet

Does anyone remember 2014’s Blackberry Passport.  It wasn’t lauded for its square display; it was mocked, and no other manufacturer until now has introduced anything of significance with a square aspect ratio.  This issue alone is likely what keeps Apple at the drawing board, if they haven’t already walked away from the entire concept.  How do you combine the 9:16 aspect ratio of a smartphone, which in portrait offers a natural document scrolling solution and in landscape offers an ideal video viewing solution, with a tablet’s aspect ratio (Apple’s are 4:3 in the more commonly held landscape orientation).  

Square is just not a very useful aspect ratio.  It’s not great for documents; if you size to fit in the horizontal dimension, then you don’t get very much of the document shown at-a-time in the vertical dimension.  Try this on an iPad by holding it in portrait in a webpage and then tapping the browser bar to bring up the keyboard.  What’s left shown of the webpage is what a square display presents all the time, without even a keyboard being displayed.  Then imagine a keyboard intruding into that space.  At least the Blackberry had a separate physical keyboard.  Square also doesn’t offer anything different when rotating to landscape.  So watching videos or working a spreadsheet aren’t going to be very satisfying experiences on such a screen.  

The Samsung Fold is yet another refrigerator combined with a toaster.  One function defeats the other.  The toaster warms the device, which as a fridge is fighting to keep food cold.  The Fold as a tablet defeats the pocketability of a smartphone while adding the very real potential of a vector for mechanical failure, and a poor tablet experience.  And it’s likely the finger feel on the tablet display, due to it being plastic-covered and not glass, will provide another point of user experience compromise.  

edited July 2019 guscatpscooter63watto_cobra