Apple CEO Tim Cook rips into 'absurd' Wall Street Journal report on Jony Ive's departure

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday flatly refuted the a recent Wall Street Journal report detailing CDO Jony Ive's departure from the company, with the chief executive saying allegations, including claims that he is disinterested in design, are "absurd."

On Sunday, the Wall Street Journal published an eye-opening expose on Ive's exit from Apple, claiming the legendary designer had receded from day-to-day operations in part due to friction with executive team and the company's direction under Cook. Specifically, the report suggested Ive had become dispirited that Cook and others operations rather than design, for which Apple is known.

In a strongly worded email sent to NBC News reporter Dylan Byers, Cook denied the WSJ report, slant Byers shared the letter via Twitter.

"The story is absurd," Cook said in the letter. "A lot of the reporting, and certainly the conclusions just don't match with reality. At a base level, it shows a lack of understanding about how the design team works and how Apple works. It distorts relationships, decisions and events to the point that we just don't recognize the company it claims to describe."

The WSJ report, penned by Tripp Mickle, painted a dire picture for Ive. With kindred spirit Steve Jobs gone, Ive had become increasingly isolated as head of Apple's vaunted design team. According to Mickle's sources, Cook was more concerned with the operations side of Apple, often leaving Ive to his own devices and not taking part or showing interest in the design process that Jobs savored prior to his death in 2011.

Ive reportedly withdrew from daily business, going so far as to work from home or out of a private studio in San Francisco. The designer set up a "design week" session for face-to-face time with his team, who "craved" Ive's attention and approval, but Ive was routinely late or absent to the meetings, the report said.

Mickle's report drew on more than a year's worth of conversations with people close to Ive.

The email rebuttal to WSJ's claims is a rarity for the even-keeled Cook, who typically does not dignify negative media reports with a public response. While he condemned the report as a whole, Cook failed to cite specific details that were false or mischaracterized.

"The design team is phenomenally talented. As Jony has said, they're stronger than ever, and I have complete confidence that they will thrive under Jeff, Evans, and Alan's leadership," Cook writes. "We know the truth and we know the incredible things they're capable of doing. The projects they're working on will blow you away."

Ive last week announce plans to depart Apple this year after nearly three decades on the job. The industrial designer, often credited with sparking a revolution in the consumer electronics industry with products like iPod, iMac and iPhone, will start a new venture called LoveFrom in 2020 with Apple as a primary client.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Yes, because the major news outlets never run news that is deliberately misleading or absurdly biased...
    edited July 2019 entropysrogifan_newAppleExposedracerhomie3FileMakerFellermaestro64pscooter63JWSCapplesnorangesleftoverbacon
  • Reply 2 of 89
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Good on Cook for setting the record straight!
    StrangeDaysAppleExposeddewmeflyingdpracerhomie3maestro64JWSCapplesnorangeslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    WSJ and Bloomberg always seem to have an axe to grind with Apple. NYT too. One would think the NYC financial sector doesn’t like Apple for not playing their games and refusing to manage to the stock price... That management style, of maximizing stockholder value, is aka The Dumbest Idea In the World:

edited July 2019 welshdogdoozydozenroundaboutnowJWSClolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Rupert Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal in 2007. that was when I stopped going to it for reliable reports.
    coolcatk2minicoffeewilliamlondonregurgitatedcoproliteArloTimetravelerdewmeStrangeDaysflyingdpdoozydozencharlesgres
  • Reply 5 of 89
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    georgie01 said:
    Yes, because the major news outlets never run news that is deliberately misleading or absurdly biased...
    Painting all media outlets with one brush is rather misleading as well. 
    minicoffeewilliamlondonnapoleon_phoneapartdewmeStrangeDaysdoozydozendedgeckodysamoriacaladanianretrogusto
  • Reply 6 of 89
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    And these scumbags will move forward without a slap on their hand. The next anti-Apple article may be up as soon as tomorrow and people will cite the article to rationalize their Apple hate.

ktappe said:
    georgie01 said:

He did say "major" news outlets which we can agree on.
    mwhitedoozydozenracerhomie3JWSClolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    WSJ and Bloomberg always seem to have an axe to grind with Apple. NYT too. One would think the NYC financial sector doesn’t like Apple for not playing their games and refusing to manage to the stock price... That management style, of maximizing stockholder value, is aka The Dumbest Idea In the World:

Here's another: https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-warren-shareholder-myth-20180816-story.html
    It truly is a dumb idea and is directly responsible for a lot of corporate misbehavior and bad judgement.
    canukstormStrangeDaysleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 89
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

It's true.  Maximizing shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.  The WSJ story has gone viral so it's good to see him tackle it head-on.  I don't think I've ever seen him do this before.
    AppleExposedagilealtitudelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 89
    The WSJ talked to people and they said things.  Not particularly flattering to Apple, but these things don't come outta nowhere.  Certainly I would be a bit out of sorts if I had pressed my employer to make thousands of luxury gold watches that didn't get sold.  It tends to invalidate your world view.  The story totally let Ive off the hook though, repeatedly pointing to his desire to be with his aging father at home.  I think it is pretty doggone humane of Apple to work with him on that score, even if the design of the latest phones suffered.
    williamlondonAppleExposedcolinng
  • Reply 10 of 89
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

It's true.  Maximizing shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.  The WSJ story has gone viral so it's good to see him tackle it head-on.  I don't think I've ever seen him do this before.
    Bloomberg BusinessWeek's iCloud spy chip story.
    AppleExposedwilliamlondonDAalsethdedgeckocaladanianlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 89
    Welp, if you’re gonna insist on expansive secrecy, you can’t be too surprised when speculation runs rampant.  It’s just gonna happen and, unless they somehow prove otherwise, they won’t be able to stop it.  
    dysamoriakestralelijahg
  • Reply 12 of 89
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Well he's not exactly going to admit something like that is he..?
    williamlondonAppleExposeddysamoriacolinngkestralanantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 89
    The WSJ talked to people and they said things.  Not particularly flattering to Apple, but these things don't come outta nowhere.  Certainly I would be a bit out of sorts if I had pressed my employer to make thousands of luxury gold watches that didn't get sold.  It tends to invalidate your world view.  The story totally let Ive off the hook though, repeatedly pointing to his desire to be with his aging father at home.  I think it is pretty doggone humane of Apple to work with him on that score, even if the design of the latest phones suffered.
    And completely ignore the fact Apple Watch sold millions and iPhone is the most successful product in tech history. The "reportedly" unsold Editions aren't factual. They had plenty of time to sell them all. I doubt Apple was mass producing them just like they won't be mass producing the Mac Pro in the millions.
    uktechieStrangeDaysdedgeckoFileMakerFellerlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 89
    elijahg said:
    Why respond if it was true? Apple rarely says anything about news stories. The only other story I’ve seen Apple directly respond to like this was the goofy Bloomberg story about Chinese chips. 
    williamlondonrogifan_newStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 89
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Anything to pour lead on the unstoppable balloon that is Apple....
    AppleExposedradarthekatdedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    As the CEO TC had to respond and deny, or at least play it down, but I have to say I find the WSJ story entirely plausible. That is exactly how it happens when someone in a key role burns out. Maybe even JI would deny that he in fact burned out, but will come around to this fact (if it is so), further down the line. If it is he should probably have handed over the reins a long time ago but that is not an easy thing to do. I am sure there was a lot of pressure on his to stay. The WSJ suggests as much with all the special allowances made for JI by TC. To me it has felt like the design path forged by JI had run its course. He was all about beautiful minimalism and it must be tedious to keep slogging down the same road with the same products. It would be almost unthinkable that he would break the mold and add some corners and trinkets and bling just for the sake of changing up the looks. A new design team might do something like that. The current 'look and feel' of the Apple Watch, iPhone and iPads, macBooks and iMacs really carry the 'Designed by Jony' stamp. Perhaps in 5 years none of the will. Maybe the era of Apple 'bling' is due? I hope not but who knows?
    uktechieaaploutsider
  • Reply 17 of 89
    elijahg said:

If he apologizes it's true, if he denies the news rag he's lying.

/s
    StrangeDaysFileMakerFellerlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 89
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I'd like to hear the rebuttal from Jony, not his boss. 
    deminsdelijahgcolinng9secondkox2retrogustoaaploutsider
  • Reply 19 of 89
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    ktappe said:
    georgie01 said:
    Right now it's easier to just identify the one or two ethical media outlets, if it's even that many.  

Today's media is more about sensationalism and clickbait than doing what's right.  Truth is boring and there's no profit in it.  FACT.
    AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sflocal said:
    ktappe said:
    georgie01 said:
    Right now it's easier to just identify the one or two ethical media outlets, if it's even that many.  

Today's media is more about sensationalism and clickbait than doing what's right.  Truth is boring and there's no profit in it.  FACT.
    I have two sources that I trust. A few more that I trust, but verify. And the rest I don't even bother.
    lolliverwatto_cobra