Apple CEO Tim Cook rips into 'absurd' Wall Street Journal report on Jony Ive's departure

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    uktechieuktechie Posts: 67member
    @Paxman - I was about to write something similar. I’m full of respect and admiration for everything he’s done. Every time I sit in front of my MacBook I admire its beautiful design - right down to the finest detail. When I use a plastic Lenovo laptop it just feels ugly and horrible like the company and people who made it just didn’t care. 

But, design is hard. It’s a fragile creative process. I write software and I’m conscious that the quality and quantity is very dependent on many things: my mood, how much sleep I’ve had, whether I’m worried about anything (family, kids, aging relatives etc). The design that Jony Ive and his team do must be so much harder. 

Every year they produce beautifully designed products products but there’s constant pressure to create something very similar but better next time. If Jony Ive stopped after the iPod nobody would have criticised or thought worse of him, yet he went on to do so much more. 

Maybe he has burnt out - it’s not for us to judge, but maybe it’s the opposite. Maybe he feels he’s at the peak of his powers and wants to do more in the time he’s got. He wants to create designs to change the world and do more than Apple do. He’s no doubt left a fantastic team behind who are more than capable and his new design company will still work with Apple but he wants to do bigger things outside of Apple. 
    paxmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 89
    Marc Newson, also leaving Apple, seems to add credence to the WSJ story.
    colinngkestral
  • Reply 23 of 89
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    Of course Ive is disinterested in design. At least in Apple design.  The proof is in the products released lately. 
    edited July 2019 kestral
  • Reply 24 of 89
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wow. Kind of amazing for Cook to respond to this. It’s rare for Apple to respond to the rumor mill.
    FileMakerFellercaladanian
  • Reply 25 of 89
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    WSJ and Bloomberg always seem to have an axe to grind with Apple. NYT too. One would think the NYC financial sector doesn’t like Apple for not playing their games and refusing to manage to the stock price... That management style, of maximizing stockholder value, is aka The Dumbest Idea In the World:

I thought it was they loved Apple for not managing stock price.
    Means article like this move the stock price enough to make money if you bet on which way it'll move. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 89
    elijahg said:
    Well he's not exactly going to admit something like that is he..?

As others have said then Apple wouldn’t respond at all. Highly unusual for Tim Cook to respond to gossip.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    saronian said:

What did Marc Newson do at Apple besides watch stuff?
  • Reply 28 of 89
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...lots of speculation...  Is a trusted foil of critical opinion difficult to quantify or understand ? Also I can't imagine the psychic (human) sense of loss and emotions to carry on given the passing of SJ...  Batman and Robin comes to mind (silly I know) and yet...?

Unfortunately from this customer's perspective I've had mixed feelings about the macs I've bought since the 2011 mini that had discrete graphics, 2 standard drive bays, 2 standard ram slots and multiple ports... At the time almost everything about it was an true 'upgrade' - It just worked (and still does :)  although even that design had me disappointed in the lack of a Kensington lock slot. Was this the new Apple?  Would that have been so difficult to add somewhere ?  Aftermarket locking options were a pain in the behind.  This customer would find a lock slot most useful even today...

Indeed I have bought newer mac hardware hoping to 'upgrade', but in the end very regrettably sent it back. The ultimate irony being the only display I could not get working with a loaded 2016 macbook pro was an Apple 27" Cinema Display, despite multiple Apple sales/support opinions that the TB2>TB3 adapter should work. It seemed absurdly illogical. Really? I must buy a new monitor to use with a MBP ?  Who decided to not support the TB3 standard for mDP ?  Intuition in design in my experience is a funny thing, and some people just have it - can one can be excellent at creative thinking or form making, and yet there remains the question of macro judgement ?   Here's to the future and some structural changes, and I hope we are all pleasantly surprised by good things and 'magic' for all ahead...
    colinng
  • Reply 29 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    The WSJ talked to people and they said things.  Not particularly flattering to Apple, but these things don't come outta nowhere.  Certainly I would be a bit out of sorts if I had pressed my employer to make thousands of luxury gold watches that didn't get sold.  It tends to invalidate your world view.  The story totally let Ive off the hook though, repeatedly pointing to his desire to be with his aging father at home.  I think it is pretty doggone humane of Apple to work with him on that score, even if the design of the latest phones suffered.
    They haven’t. The X is cherished. Love it. Would never trade it for an older model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 89
    This tweet is from a current Apple employee:
    jcieplinski (@jcieplinski) 7/1/19, 6:40 AM
    If I had a nickel for every former Apple employee who told me the company started falling apart just before or after THEY left, I’d be doing well. But not as well as I’ve done by hanging on to my stock.

StrangeDaysFileMakerFellermatrix077caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 89

elijahg said:
    Well he's not exactly going to admit something like that is he..?
    Ooh there’s the hater narrative we love and need. Errrnnt. Sorry, but as the CEO Cook is barred from lying to the public and investors. If he says no, it’s no. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 89

hentaiboy said:
    I'd like to hear the rebuttal from Jony, not his boss. 
    You’re under the mistaken delusion that he owes you anything of the sort. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 89
    saronian said:
    Why? That’s a basic, known, fact. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 89

deminsd said:
    Of course Ive is disinterested in design. At least in Apple design.  The proof is in the products released lately. 
    Youre high. MP, AirPods, iPhone, Watch, all incredible new versions. The others are already classics and imitated by many. 
    radarthekatJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    deminsd said:
    That’s just plain stupid.
    roundaboutnowJWSCStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 89
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    DAalseth said:
    Rupert Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal in 2007. that was when I stopped going to it for reliable reports.
    Is your theory that Rupert Murdoch himself does all the news gathering and article writing, or that he personally dictates to each and every reporter what their stories should say?  
    JWSC
  • Reply 37 of 89
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

Welp, if you’re gonna insist on expansive secrecy, you can’t be too surprised when speculation runs rampant.  It’s just gonna happen and, unless they somehow prove otherwise, they won’t be able to stop it.  

So your position is that companies should air the private affairs of their employees?  Is that how it is at your job?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 38 of 89
    What’s absurd are the creatures that crawled out of the woodwork here when the original article appeared. They swallowed the hook, line, and sinker whole, then proceeded to bloviate, caterwaul,  and spew complete nonsense in an attempt to confirm their own ridiculous theories and biases. 
    radarthekatWgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 89
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    Proof is in the pudding.  Let’s see how the iPhone designs go.   Predict next year they will be made of cheap recycled bottle plastic.    :D
  • Reply 40 of 89
    WSJ and Bloomberg always seem to have an axe to grind with Apple. NYT too. One would think the NYC financial sector doesn’t like Apple for not playing their games and refusing to manage to the stock price... That management style, of maximizing stockholder value, is aka The Dumbest Idea In the World:

Well, AAPL was up +3.63 today, close to 3%. One would think these two would get a clue that their attempts at “managing” the stock isn’t working. No?