2019 MacBook Pro Keyboard - can I trust it for a college student?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
My daughter is starting her sophomore year at college and needs a new computer. I wan't to get her a MacBook Pro, but I'm worried about the keyboard. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and have intermittently had issues with the keyboard, even though I have babied it and taken far more pains to protect it than I have any other keyboard I've ever owned. My daughter isn't reckless but she's a college student. She also can't afford to have a computer that doesn't work or to be without one while it gets repaired.

Do I trust the keyboards in the 2019 MBPs, or do I just bite the bullet and get there a windows laptop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    MplsP said:
    My daughter is starting her sophomore year at college and needs a new computer. I wan't to get her a MacBook Pro, but I'm worried about the keyboard. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and have intermittently had issues with the keyboard, even though I have babied it and taken far more pains to protect it than I have any other keyboard I've ever owned. My daughter isn't reckless but she's a college student. She also can't afford to have a computer that doesn't work or to be without one while it gets repaired.

Do I trust the keyboards in the 2019 MBPs, or do I just bite the bullet and get there a windows laptop?
    Apple wouldn't build a computer with a keyboard design if it had a known high defect rate. For peace of mind, you can buy a thin keyboard cover to stop crumbs and debris getting in and it helps prevent some accidental damage:

https://www.imore.com/best-keyboard-covers-macbook-pro

Also remember that a Mac that's in for repair is still better than a Windows laptop because at least you know you'll eventually be getting to use a Mac again. The Windows laptop will always be a Windows laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Marvin said:
    MplsP said:

Apple wouldn't build a computer with a keyboard design if it had a known high defect rate. For peace of mind, you can buy a thin keyboard cover to stop crumbs and debris getting in and it helps prevent some accidental damage:

https://www.imore.com/best-keyboard-covers-macbook-pro

Also remember that a Mac that's in for repair is still better than a Windows laptop because at least you know you'll eventually be getting to use a Mac again. The Windows laptop will always be a Windows laptop.
    Thanks - I agree that they wouldn't have built one with a known high defect rate, but the question is whether they built one that had a problem they didn't know about until after it entered production. No one knows the actually failure/issue rate, except Apple. Even they may not know the true rate, as there may be many people just living with glitchy keyboards. My personal experience on my 2017 MBP is that the keyboard is very sensitive to any debris. I purchased a silicone cover, which helped the problem, but made typing much worse and caused smudges on the screen. many times I've had to take a piece of paper and slide it under a key to try and dislodge debris that was causing a key to malfunction, and that is despite taking pains to prevent crumbs/debris and in general taking better care of it than any keyboard I've ever owned.

Yes, a Mac is better than a Windows laptop, any day, but a Hyundai that starts is better than a Maserati in the shop. My daughter won't have time to be dealing with hardware repairs or to have her computer out of commission the week before finals, which is why I'm trying to figure out if the newest version of the butterfly keyboard had actually fixed the problem or if I need to bite the bullet and settle for a Hyundai.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Mini and iPad or iPad Pro works if you want to stay Apple...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Do you wipe your keyboard everyday?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    No - I just try to be very conscientious about making sure I dont’ have any crumbs on my fingers and keeping it away from stuff that could get in the keyboard. Problem is, I use it at the kitchen table a lot. :/

I’m not sure if wiping it would help or just end up pushing the debris in?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    No - I just try to be very conscientious about making sure I dont’ have any crumbs on my fingers and keeping it away from stuff that could get in the keyboard. Problem is, I use it at the kitchen table a lot. :/

• Reply 7 of 7
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    MplsP said:

I don’t think that’s the case.  I do spray some alcohol or soap water on the microfiber cloths.
    It also prevent your finger grease to corrode individual keycaps, too.