Microsoft blocks Windows 10 update over Boot Camp driver issue

Posted:
in macOS
Owners of older Macs or those with out-of-date versions of Boot Camp are being blocked from updating Windows 10 to version 1903.

Windows 10 Update

Users of affected Mac devices that use Boot Camp attempting the update will see an error message warning about a problem with the Mac HAL driver 'machaldriver.sys' on their Windows 10 installation. "Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10," the message reads.

"No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once the issue has been resolved," it concludes. Microsoft advises it is working on a resolution and estimate it will be available in late July.

According to a Microsoft support page found by Windows Latest, the problem occurs with Macs released before 2012, as well as newer Mac models that use older Boot Camp versions or have Windows Support Software drivers with a compatibility hold in place. More specifically, the problem lies with the identified driver dated for September 24, 2011 or older in the Windows\system32\drivers directory.

Microsoft's error message when updating using an incompatible Boot Camp driver
Microsoft's error message when updating using an incompatible Boot Camp driver

As a workaround, Microsoft advises updating the Boot Camp Windows Support Software drivers could replace the driver in question and enable an update to go through. Microsoft suggests users can check for Windows Support Software updates in the Mac App Store and also links to an Apple support page dealing with installing the Windows Support Software itself.

This is not the first time Microsoft has prevented an update for Windows 10 based on software connected to Apple. In November, Microsoft stopped users of Apple's iCloud for Windows tool from updating to 1809, due to issues with updating and synchronizing shared albums.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This saved my ass!  I run a lot of MySQL databases on Windows servers (using Windows 10 Pro, not Server 2016 I should add).  The only one that wasn't f****d up was one running on a Mac mini with Boot Camp that didn't get updated to from v1809 to v1903 (I think that's the stupid version numbers, who thinks these things up at MS?)

I'd ignore all advice above and use the 'if it ain't broke' philosophy for now.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 2 of 29
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    I was able to upgrade to the 1903 version on my iMac Pro, however, some of the AMD driver features will not install (despite Apple telling us to use the AMD drivers and AMD telling us not to...)

• Reply 3 of 29
    Note that Microsoft supports Macs for longer than Apple does. The only reason why Apple does not support their computers for longer is because they want to force users to upgrade to their latest hardware even if it is slower than the computer they currently own (compare the latest Mac Mini to a top of the line 2011 iMac).
  • Reply 4 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Note that Microsoft supports Macs for longer than Apple does. The only reason why Apple does not support their computers for longer is because they want to force users to upgrade to their latest hardware even if it is slower than the computer they currently own (compare the latest Mac Mini to a top of the line 2011 iMac).
    Microsoft does indeed have long-term support for Windows, but the "planned obsolescence by Apple" argument is weak at best. Stop repeating that. There's many, many factors that contribute to newer software no longer being supported. We've all seen how Apple makes a best effort to support years-old devices for as long as possible, but eventually you need to draw the line somewhere.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 5 of 29
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Microsoft does indeed have long-term support for Windows, but the "planned obsolescence by Apple" argument is weak at best. Stop repeating that. There's many, many factors that contribute to newer software no longer being supported. We've all seen how Apple makes a best effort to support years-old devices for as long as possible, but eventually you need to draw the line somewhere.
    Agreed. I think Apple cuts off support for older devices more because they actually care about the user experience. How much of Window’s bloat, performance issues, bugs, and security holes are direct results of MIcrosoft having to support older hardware and technologies for longer than they should to keep their business customers happy? Apple has less of the business market which works in their favor, from a point of view, meaning they can deprecate older devices and APIs sooner which makes for a better, more reliable, and safer experience.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Yoel SYoel S Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    if you have a BSOD (Blue screen of death) from this, what you can do for now is boot to safe mode, go to C:Windows\system32\drivers look for "machaldriver.sys" add .bak to the end of the name and reboot, you wont be able to adjust screen brightness or Keyboard backlight,
    brianmcgWerksFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Hello, that sounds like bullshit. Can you back up your unsubstantiated claim with some kind of evidence? Or is your purpose to only sew discontent on every thread?

Happily using a 2011 iMac on my desktop. If now doesn’t get the latest macOS, but continues to receive updates. The fact that it is completely functional and runs VMs for software development, and has never required me to wipe it or re-install it like I did a million times on Windows, is a testament to Apple. 
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedtoysandmemacplusplus
  • Reply 8 of 29
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    MacPro said:
    This saved my ass!  I run a lot of MySQL databases on Windows servers (using Windows 10 Pro, not Server 2016 I should add).  The only one that wasn't f****d up was one running on a Mac mini with Boot Camp that didn't get updated to from v1809 to v1903 (I think that's the stupid version numbers, who thinks these things up at MS?)

MySQL runs fine on macOS (and Unix in general).
    macplusplus
  • Reply 9 of 29
    MacPro said:
    (I think that's the stupid version numbers, who thinks these things up at MS?)
    "According to numerous reports today, Microsoft – after failing with third-party hardware vendors – is set to release an iPod killer of its own for the holiday shopping season. Crazy Apple Rumors Site sources indicate the device will be called the Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 Portable Media Player Device Media Player Media Player Media Player."
  • Reply 10 of 29
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Enough with your BS opinions that you try to pass off as facts.  Just because you think it doesn't make it true.
    AppleExposedmacplusplus
  • Reply 11 of 29
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    knowitall said:
    MacPro said:

Regardless of OS, I tend to run MySQL inside a Docker container where it's a bit more segregated from the rest of my machine.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Apple supports their devices in general for a very long time. So debunked.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    MacPro said:

It's the YEAR (19 for 2019) and MONTH (03 for MARCH) of the release.  1809 was SEPTEMBER 2018.  Not so stupid.  I suppose it could have been 1074.35.65.1, right?
    edited July 2019 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    MacPro said:
    Exactly, at least for this kind of thing. I'm kind of relieved to read this, as it means my Boot Camp Win install won't just try to auto-update one of these days and break itself in the process. :) I don't know if major versions like this auto-update, but I've been a bit scared thinking that it might (once I saw the note in my updates). It was enough of a chore getting it all going with the eGPU, that I don't have time to mess with that right now!

keithw said:
    I was able to upgrade to the 1903 version on my iMac Pro, however, some of the AMD driver features will not install (despite Apple telling us to use the AMD drivers and AMD telling us not to...)
    Not sure if it helps, but you might try these (if you aren't already). For my 2018 mini w/ eGPU, it won't work 'out of the box' so I have to install these drivers (after uninstalling the stock ones a couple times... the couple of times being key!) I'm hoping next time I rebuild with 1903, things are more sorted out and it works w/o as much tinkering. That said, the people who did it pre-1809 or with MBPs seem to have had to do a LOT MORE tinkering (so I should be happy).

coolfactor said:
    Yeah, though I think the whole eco-system is moving faster these days, so to people who are used to how it worked decades ago, it kind of feels like that.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    petiegpetieg Posts: 24member
    I've got an Intel NUC user w/ Win10 and Apple Display (nice but needed BootCamp drivers for camera/mic) that BSOD'd after 1903 constantly, I was able to roll back but I think I'll just leave it alone for the time being! 
  • Reply 16 of 29
    brianmbrianm Posts: 36member
    There are things like 32 vs 64 bit in various components, features of the GPU (Metal support being the biggest thing to cause older models to drop off supported list), wifi, bluetooth and more.

Why not compare the top of the line 2019 iMac to the Top of the Line 2011 iMac? or 2018 Mac mini vs the 2011 Mac mini?  They are very different class computers

The 2018 Mac mini will out perform the top i7 2011 iMac's in most specs except GPU probably - 
    using GeekBench as an example 2018 Mac mini with i7 gets around around 5700 single core, and 24000 multi-core
    the 2011 iMac top-end i7 gets around a 3400-3600 single, with the top scores showing 11000-12000
    Disk performance is many times faster in the 2018 Mac mini - high-end SSD in new vs traditional HDD - or a much older model SSD was still SATA speed limited , as is wifi & bluetooth performance better on the new hardware.
    in GPU performance it looks like the Radeon HD 6970M is about 34% faster on average than the Intel Integrated 630 video - I'm honestly surprised it's that close - but there are GPU elements that the Intel 630 is faster at, so it's not a complete win for the 2011 iMac, and throw a cheap RX 580 in an eGPU case can get much faster performance (something I will actually be doing some app tests today or tomorrow with)
    cgWerks
  • Reply 17 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    brianm said:
    Disk performance is many times faster in the 2018 Mac mini - high-end SSD in new vs traditional HDD - or a much older model SSD was still SATA speed limited , as is wifi & bluetooth performance better on the new hardware.
    in GPU performance it looks like the Radeon HD 6970M is about 34% faster on average than the Intel Integrated 630 video - I'm honestly surprised it's that close - but there are GPU elements that the Intel 630 is faster at, so it's not a complete win for the 2011 iMac, and throw a cheap RX 580 in an eGPU case can get much faster performance (something I will actually be doing some app tests today or tomorrow with)
    And, don't forget the advantages of the T2 when it comes to video production... vs a 2011 iMac, you might be seeing like 10x or more performance gain encoding HEVC (H.265) video. And, the T2 for disc encryption/controller, etc. (Though, I had to turn that off to make Boot Camp usable. But, it's great if you stay on the Mac side and use Parallels, etc.)

• Reply 18 of 29
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    MacPro said:
     who thinks these things up at MS?
    Not sure if you know or not, but the updates are numbered based on the year and month it was released.
    edited July 2019 FileMakerFellercgWerks
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Is it the Mac HAL driver or the Mach AL driver?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    knowitall said:
    MacPro said:

I use PCs for this as they are cheap and the one Mac involved is from 2012 and may I add runs better than some of my modern PCs which include Dell servers.
    edited July 2019