Samsung expected to unveil Galaxy Note 10 at Unpacked event on Aug. 7

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Samsung on Monday invited press to attend an Unpacked media event in New York on Aug. 7, where the Korean tech giant is expected to unveil its next-generation Galaxy Note 10 phablet.

Galaxy Note 10

Clueing media in to what might be announced at Barclays Center in Brooklyn next month, the invitations feature a stylus pointing to what appears to be a small camera lens, reports CNET. The Samsung Galaxy logo sits across from the event's date and a URL pointing to Samsung's website, where Unpacked will be streamed.

As noted by CNET in June, Barclays Center is where Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Note 9 in 2018.

According to leaks and insider information, the upcoming Note 10 is said to retain the large phablet form factor that has made the device popular among power users. True to form, Samsung is expected to launch a model with a 6.3-inch screen, and could raise the stakes by introducing a "Pro" version that measures 6.75 inches on the diagonal.

Rumblings suggest a "hole-punch" display design for the front-facing camera -- perhaps alluded to in the invite -- while the rear-facing array could boast four high-resolution shooters. Long a platform reserved for Samsung's latest-and-greatest technology, Note 10 might also integrate 5G connectivity, at least on certain models.

Samsung is looking for a win after the embarrassing Galaxy Fold snafu. The Fold, which was announced earlier this year as one of the first consumer devices to include a bendble OLED screen, ran into trouble before it landed in customer hands, with early reviewers noting the display was easily broken. The company subsequently delayed launch as it evaluated the situation, a hold that remains in effect today. On Monday, Samsung Electronics CEO D.J. Koh admitted the original launch timeline was too aggressive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    It's a beautiful device. My work phone is an older Galaxy, and it's a shame that Android largely sucks.
    Carnage
  • Reply 2 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    First impression — impressive design.

Lasting impression — likely the same as always — a sub-standard experience overall, compared to iPhones.

What is that they say? A fish doesn't know it's in water. Android users.
    radarthekattmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I can see the appeal... basically a tablet phone.

Oddly, it’s both too big and too small for me...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13

Lasting impression — likely the same as always — a sub-standard experience overall, compared to iPhones.

Nothing wrong with being in water, especially if you're a fish!
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 5 of 13
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    "Samsung on Monday invited press to attend an Unpacked media event..."

So the event isn't "packed"... because nobody really gives a Rat's a** about the latest wonk-phone from Samsung?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's a beautiful device. My work phone is an older Galaxy, and it's a shame that Android largely sucks.
    I'm surprised given the simplicity of making a Hackintosh i.e. run macOS on a PC  these days there isn't a simple HackiniPhone kit these days so poor old Samsung phone users could have a good OS and escape GoogleCrap.  Maybe there is?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Nothing wrong with being in water, especially if you're a fish!
    Ever read FlatLand by Edwin A. Abbott (published in 1884, a free download in either iOS or Android).  It’s about a society that exists on a 2-dimensional plane.  That’s the better analogy, but points to the same limitation.  A fish will never see much of the greater world that exists from the surface of the water to the stars.  
    pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    As an owner of a new OnePlus 7 Pro, I'll be the fish, thanks.  Come on in, the water is fine!  Seriously, tho... the OnePlus tweaks to Android (OxygenOS) got rid of a lot of the bloat. It also didn't come with vendor (AT&T) loaded bloatware that my old galaxy did.  It's a pretty good experience.
    bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MacPro said:
    I'm surprised given the simplicity of making a Hackintosh i.e. run macOS on a PC  these days there isn't a simple HackiniPhone kit these days so poor old Samsung phone users could have a good OS and escape GoogleCrap.  Maybe there is?
    Custom silicon would seem to be a barrier to this.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    majorsl said:
    As an owner of a new OnePlus 7 Pro, I'll be the fish, thanks.  Come on in, the water is fine!  Seriously, tho... the OnePlus tweaks to Android (OxygenOS) got rid of a lot of the bloat. It also didn't come with vendor (AT&T) loaded bloatware that my old galaxy did.  It's a pretty good experience.
    I don't support plagiarism. I'll stick to privacy and security.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    Don’t peel off the screen protector!
    😂😂😂
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    majorsl said:
    Doesn't sound like you support anything that isn't Apple. Your house must be pretty empty.
    avon b7Carnage
  • Reply 13 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    bigtds said:
    majorsl said:
    Doesn't sound like you support anything that isn't Apple. Your house must be pretty empty.

At least it's private and secure.

Don't know how not supporting plagiarism makes my home empty? Weird assumption.
    watto_cobra