Cue denies Apple execs pass notes to studios filming Apple TV+ shows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2020
Despite a report to the contrary, Apple executives are not taking a hand in sanitizing the initial slate of Apple TV+ shows due this fall, according to software and services VP Eddy Cue.

Jason Momoa in Apple's
Jason Momoa in Apple's "See."

"I saw the comments that myself and Tim were writing notes on the scripts and whatever," Cue told GQ in an interview. "There's never been one note passed from us on scripts, that I can assure you. We leave the folks who know [what] they're doing [alone]."

In March, the New York Post cited multiple producers as saying Apple executives were sending notes to studios. One of those executives was even said to be CEO Tim Cook, who allegedly used "Don't be so mean!" as his most frequent criticism.

Cook never wrote any such thing, Cue argued to GQ.

"I can assure you that was 100 per cent false," Cue said. "He [Cook] didn't say, 'Don't be so mean.' He didn't say anything about a script."

The VP didn't address another Post accusation, which is that Cook and Apple are blocking stories that portray technology in a negative light. A show like Netflix's popular "Black Mirror," in other words, would be impossible.

Apple is "ultimately trying to create shows for everyone," Cue continued. "So we have shows that are dedicated to small kids. And we have shows that are dedicated to mature adults. So we're going to do a lot of different shows and what we're going to do is hopefully create the best shows on TV."

The executive cited "The Morning Show" -- starring Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell -- as evidence Apple is willing to allow mature content.

"It's a show about women in the workplace and some of the issues that happen to them are definitely not appropriate for you to watch with an eight-year-old," he said, citing "language" as another thing that makes it adults-only.

Even prior to the Post however reports suggested that Apple will maintain tame standards when it comes to sex and violence. That could make it tougher to compete with the likes of Netflix and HBO, the latter of which is famous -- or infamous -- for holding back very few punches. Apple is even said to have turned down an eight-part series by Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuaron.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I think too many underestimate the value in Apple’s perspective. There are billions of people who want shows that they can enjoy as a family without exposing their Children to Adult themes, violence and foul language. Steve Jobs recognizes this and the company he shaped, Pixar took the world by storm because it did for animated movies what Apple intends to do for TV
    StrangeDaysgilly33john f.cornchiplolliverjony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I am not sure what end result anyone think "passing note" server and why people would rumor this happening, If these were true and Cook wrote on scrips, it is easy to prove someone I bet took a picture or notes, and producer and writer were truly upset you know they would have shared the actual notes.

I do have to agree that I am not sure Apple TV service will be successful trying to be tamed. Netflx & HBO content is successful because the jump well over the tamed line. Apple is trying to play in the Disney sand box which I do not think will go well for them.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    maestro64 said:
    I am not sure what end result anyone think "passing note" server and why people would rumor this happening, If these were true and Cook wrote on scrips, it is easy to prove someone I bet took a picture or notes, and producer and writer were truly upset you know they would have shared the actual notes.

I do have to agree that I am not sure Apple TV service will be successful trying to be tamed. Netflx & HBO content is successful because the jump well over the tamed line. Apple is trying to play in the Disney sand box which I do not think will go well for them.
    Disney, PBS, and plenty of cable networks are successful without violence and nudity. To think there’s only one way to success is quite absurd. 

Downton Abbey is about as “tame” as it gets but is still a compelling drama. Drama isn’t about explicit content. Drama is about effective storytelling. 
    Soligilly33cornchipAppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverjony0
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    maestro64 said:

And your response/mindset is exactly what this rumor was intended to do.

Here’s a novel idea. How about you wait till the content is actually released. Then form an opinion.
    StrangeDayscornchipirelandmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 24
    So the New York Post, a tabloid, had anonymous sources claim one thing. Here we have a top Apple executive, named, say another. I think I know which is more trustworthy. 

Will we see all those quick to treat anonymous rumors as facts now retract their judgment and scorn? Nahhh.
    lkruppcornchipAppleExposedlolliverjony0
  • Reply 6 of 24
    maestro64 said:

Disney, PBS, and plenty of cable networks are successful without violence and nudity. To think there’s only one way to success is quite absurd. 

Downton Abbey is about as “tame” as it gets but is still a compelling drama. Drama isn’t about explicit content. Drama is about effective storytelling. 
    PBS is not Disney. If you look at the most successful content (which puts money in the bank) it is either has adult content or it appeals to the child in all of us. Yes their is lots of in between content but it is not all that successful. This was the point I was making, Apple is not known for being altruistic, they are about show me the money and they are looking to play in the middle ground and maybe closer to Disney content and I am not sure how successful this strategy will be for them. Disney is a brand in itself, and their content comes with lots of avenues of revenues which play off content. It may happen but there is not an entire GOT theme park.

As someone pointed out Pixar was successful for Steve and he sold it to Disney, maybe not a smart move if Steve had thought about the overall Apple content directions. Steve thought years in the future about products, but he kind of missed this one.

Also Pixar was successful since it appealed to the kids in all of us, but it there is enough adult innuendo to keep adults coming back
    edited July 2019 cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 24
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    maestro64 said:

As someone pointed out Pixar was successful for Steve and he sold it to Disney, maybe not a smart move if Steve had thought about the overall Apple content directions. Steve thought years in the future about products, but he kind of missed this one.

Steve didn't miss anything because he considered facts that you did not.  He also did not have the benefit of your 13 years of hindsight.

First, Pixar did not own any of the movies it produced in the 10 or so years leading up to the sale.  Disney had exclusive ownership and control over the content, and was solely responsible for marketing and distribution. Pixar was basically nothing without Disney, and if it still existed today, it's not clear how that would benefit Apple.  

Second, Pixar was a public company, and Jobs owed a fiduciary duty to shareholders to maximize value for the company.  Holding on to a company for the sake of some vision that may or may not materialize 10-20 years in the future would be criminally insane. 

Third, Apple did not own Pixar. Your analysis that it was not a "smart move" therefore necessarily assumes that Apple would eventually buy Pixar, or enter into the same sort of agreement that Apple now has with Disney with respect to content distribution.  But Apple does have that agreement, so the only benefit would be some cost savings from ownership.

But Apple buying Pixar made zero sense then, and really doesn't make much sense now.  At the time Apple was fundamentally a hardware company, and was knee deep in developing the first iPhone.  Even if Steve Jobs was  psychic, it would have been nuts for Apple to spend $7 billion for a business that bore zero rational relationship to its then-current business simply so it could have content for some undefined service that may or may not exist 15 years down the road. Plus it would still not own the content.

edited July 2019 StrangeDaysfastasleepAppleExposedbestkeptsecretlolliverjony0
  • Reply 8 of 24
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    So the New York Post, a tabloid, had anonymous sources claim one thing. Here we have a top Apple executive, named, say another. I think I know which is more trustworthy. 

Will we see all those quick to treat anonymous rumors as facts now retract their judgment and scorn? Nahhh.
    They will never recant their statements, they will just ignore their own statements and move on.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I always laugh at the claims about “pushing the boundaries” and “moving the lines” and “exposing real life situations”. Those are code words for graphic sex and violence. We already have full frontal nudity in films. What’s next to “push the boundaries”? Actual penetration? Then there’s the “medical" shows that depict mutilated bodies and autopsies, the drug lord films that show people being horrendously tortured, decapitated, their brains splattered on the wall. What’s next to “move the lines”? An actual snuff film? If you think this stuff doesn’t have an effect on immature minds you are in denial. 

But hey, the public wants this stuff, right? Family oriented films are so boring, right? Who wants to see a Dumbo remake anyway? Let’s have all this debased, no boundaries, anything goes, amoral crap 24/7/365 and shame on Apple for not giving it to us. If I want to watch someone’s bowels being removed with a carving knife and then dragged around on the floor that’s my business, right? 
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverjony0
  • Reply 10 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Of course they won’t. They’ll just add another conspirator to the mix and continue on. Cook is lying, Cue is lying, all Apple execs are lying pieces of crap. Remember, it’s all about confirming their own biases and prejudices against Apple, not the truth, if there even is truth anymore.

All because Apple won’t build a tower that has slots for no more than $999.00.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposedlolliverjony0
  • Reply 11 of 24
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    maestro64 said:

Well said. Just look at all those old great movies Hollywood used to churn out. Yeah it was a different time but because of censorship they had to write compelling great story lines filled with suspense and drama. Most of the so-called adult fare we get today is nothing but crap most of the time. 
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 24
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

PBS is not Disney. If you look at the most successful content (which puts money in the bank) it is either has adult content or it appeals to the child in all of us. Yes their is lots of in between content but it is not all that successful. This was the point I was making, Apple is not known for being altruistic, they are about show me the money and they are looking to play in the middle ground and maybe closer to Disney content and I am not sure how successful this strategy will be for them. Disney is a brand in itself, and their content comes with lots of avenues of revenues which play off content. It may happen but there is not an entire GOT theme park.

Also Pixar was successful since it appealed to the kids in all of us, but it there is enough adult innuendo to keep adults coming back
    None of what you said refuted my point -- Compelling drama isn’t about explicit content. Compelling drama is about effective storytelling. 

Explicit content can be used as part of compelling drama, but it is not what makes compelling drama effective. 

"The Mona Lisa had a woman with dark hair! This painting doesn't have a woman with dark hair so it won't be as 
    popular!!" -- that is basically what you're saying, and it's poppycock. There are plenty of other effective paintings with differing attributes. That's the beauty of art.

Buy hey, I'm just a liberal arts graduate who programs computers for a living :) 
    edited July 2019 muthuk_vanalingamlolliver
  • Reply 13 of 24

lkrupp said:

Of course they won’t. They’ll just add another conspirator to the mix and continue on. Cook is lying, Cue is lying, all Apple execs are lying pieces of crap. Remember, it’s all about confirming their own biases and prejudices against Apple, not the truth, if there even is truth anymore.

All because Apple won’t build a tower that has slots for no more than $999.00.
    Bahaha. Yes.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    maestro64 said:

That's a great point. The timing just wasn't there I guess.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 15 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lkrupp said:
    I always laugh at the claims about “pushing the boundaries” and “moving the lines” and “exposing real life situations”. Those are code words for graphic sex and violence. We already have full frontal nudity in films. What’s next to “push the boundaries”? Actual penetration? Then there’s the “medical" shows that depict mutilated bodies and autopsies, the drug lord films that show people being horrendously tortured, decapitated, their brains splattered on the wall. What’s next to “move the lines”? An actual snuff film? If you think this stuff doesn’t have an effect on immature minds you are in denial. 

But hey, the public wants this stuff, right? Family oriented films are so boring, right? Who wants to see a Dumbo remake anyway? Let’s have all this debased, no boundaries, anything goes, amoral crap 24/7/365 and shame on Apple for not giving it to us. If I want to watch someone’s bowels being removed with a craving knife and then dragged around on the floor that’s my business, right? 
    I’m happy I have the choice to watch something like Narcos over something like Dumbo. You don’t have to watch it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    It must suck being Cook and company and having the media tell your story for you.

Can we get an apology from the commenters who demanded Cooks head on a platter over this rumor?

"There's never been one note passed from us on scripts, that I can assure you. We leave the folks who know [what] they're doing [alone]."
    Makes more sense than any rumor I've read on the subject.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 17 of 24
    flydog said:
    maestro64 said:

Steve didn't miss anything because he considered facts that you did not.  He also did not have the benefit of your 13 years of hindsight.

First, Pixar did not own any of the movies it produced in the 10 or so years leading up to the sale.  Disney had exclusive ownership and control over the content, and was solely responsible for marketing and distribution. Pixar was basically nothing without Disney, and if it still existed today, it's not clear how that would benefit Apple.  

Second, Pixar was a public company, and Jobs owed a fiduciary duty to shareholders to maximize value for the company.  Holding on to a company for the sake of some vision that may or may not materialize 10-20 years in the future would be criminally insane. 

Third, Apple did not own Pixar. Your analysis that it was not a "smart move" therefore necessarily assumes that Apple would eventually buy Pixar, or enter into the same sort of agreement that Apple now has with Disney with respect to content distribution.  But Apple does have that agreement, so the only benefit would be some cost savings from ownership.

But Apple buying Pixar made zero sense then, and really doesn't make much sense now.  At the time Apple was fundamentally a hardware company, and was knee deep in developing the first iPhone.  Even if Steve Jobs was  psychic, it would have been nuts for Apple to spend $7 billion for a business that bore zero rational relationship to its then-current business simply so it could have content for some undefined service that may or may not exist 15 years down the road. Plus it would still not own the content.

You missed the point that Steve was a major share holder in Pixar and he could have gotten Apple to buy it as part of the overall strategy. Pixar own the content Disney was one of the distributor along with the licensee of mechanizing part. If you do not think Steve was thinking 10, 15, 20, or 25 yrs out, think again. His vision of what was going to happen in the future was pretty well defined this is why everyone else was playing catch up.

In all honesty, I think his real death bed vision of TV was ATV would be the hub of video distribution from any source of content. It would eliminate the set top box with a much better UI experience. Apple was in conversation with Time-Warner before Comcast step in and tried to buy them and put an end to the deal. Today Spectrum TV offers all their cable content via and ATV if you like, you can have cable subscription along with your A la carte content. Image you could subscribe to any content provider like Spectrum, Comcast, Verizon or Directv anywhere in the US where you have broadband internet access, you now have the power to negotiate for your content, verse today you have local cable company and they get to set the price. I believe this was the original direction Apple was head long before Netflix figure out unique content would be the new driver. The cable company did not want Apple replacing the settop box they make money leasing it to you every month.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    maestro64 said:

Much like early Loony Tunes.

And then you watch the Onion reviewing Toy Story 4 and realize how much darker it could have been. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Sanctum1972Sanctum1972 Posts: 112unconfirmed, member
    It must suck being Cook and company and having the media tell your story for you.

Can we get an apology from the commenters who demanded Cooks head on a platter over this rumor?

"There's never been one note passed from us on scripts, that I can assure you. We leave the folks who know [what] they're doing [alone]."
    Makes more sense than any rumor I've read on the subject.
    Here's what I find troubling. Why did Cook and Cue wait so long to refute this right around the time Hollywood/film studios were stated to be frustrated with Apple's interference or micro-managing of their work? 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Just so everyone is clear, this is how it works:

1. Claim you don’t. 
    2. Do it anyway. 
    3. Don’t get caught. 
    4. Get away with it. 

This describes Apple better than most.