Apple TV trails behind Roku, other TV platforms in US device sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I don’t have any problem using the remote. Granted, occasionally I pick it up upside down, but still, it doesn’t deserve the hate. And the UI is fast and responsive.

As to this survey, it seems to be including TVs with built in streamers. Not really like for like.

Anyway, IMHO the Apple TV’s only problem is price. It should be half what it is. Most competitor products can be had for less than a quarter the price.
    edited July 2019 cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    I don’t have any problem using the remote. Granted, occasionally I pick it up upside down, but still, it doesn’t deserve the hate. And the UI is fast and responsive.

As to this survey, it seems to be including TVs with built in streamers. Not really like for like.

Anyway, IMHO the Apple TV’s only problem is price. It should be half what it is. Most competitor products can be had for less than a quarter the price.
    Doesn’t deserve the hate? Hate of everything Apple does is what powers tech blogs like this one. If it weren’t for hateful comments about Apple’s products these forums would be ghost towns. 
  • Reply 23 of 40
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    entropys said:

The remote is awesome and the kids here use it without issue. The best thing to do is get a case and that not only protects it but fixes the orientation issue.

Yes it includes built in TV streamers that many people will never use. So this is dumb.

I think Apple TV is priced right. Especially if they release an 12X version later this year. I don't see Apple releasing a cheap version but possibly dropping the HD version down to $49.99.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 24 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    entropys said:

The remote is awesome and the kids here use it without issue. The best thing to do is get a case and that not only protects it but fixes the orientation issue.

Yes it includes built in TV streamers that many people will never use. So this is dumb
    Pretty sure that just about every Roku TV user is using Roku. 
  • Reply 25 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

Yes it includes built in TV streamers that many people will never use. So this is dumb

Who doesn't have an Apple TV/Xbox/Playstation/etc.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Even if I didn't already enjoy the Apple TV interface, the biggest selling point for me is the security. I'm forever telling people to disable the smart features on their TVs and use an Apple TV instead, because that gives you more apps/features while keeping your viewing and a ton of other data about you private. I think it's a huge selling point.

SmartTV malware -- it's the next big thing!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

All those things interface via the Roku app on a Roku OS TV. 

...And FWIW I have only the Apple TV but haven't used it in probably 2 years. I believe my son may on occasion. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 28 of 40
    chasm said:
    Even if I didn't already enjoy the Apple TV interface, the biggest selling point for me is the security. I'm forever telling people to disable the smart features on their TVs and use an Apple TV instead, because that gives you more apps/features while keeping your viewing and a ton of other data about you private. I think it's a huge selling point.

SmartTV malware -- it's the next big thing!
    Be sure to opt out of some of the data tracking features like Ad Tracking and Location. The defaults may not be what you want if privacy is a huge concern.

If you’re running an Apple TV 4th gen or above, head to Settings > General > Privacy and turn the “Limit Ad Tracking” option on. With an older Apple TV navigate to Settings > General and change “Send Data to Apple” to No.

Go thru your "Location" settings too in the Privacy menu along with "Share Apple TV analytics".  The defaults are set to >On. 
    edited July 2019 unbeliever2
  • Reply 29 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

...And FWIW I have only the Apple TV but haven't used it in probably 2 years. I believe my son may on occasion. 

No, when you play Xbox you're not using Roku OS no more than I'm using Roku when I'm using my Apple TV.

My point stands. Roku gets a free sale when people buy these TVs whether they use it or not.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 40
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    entropys said:

Yes it includes built in TV streamers that many people will never use. So this is dumb.

I think Apple TV is priced right. Especially if they release an 12X version later this year. I don't see Apple releasing a cheap version but possibly dropping the HD version down to $49.99.
    I don't get the hate on Apple remote. Admittedly my hand is small so the remote fit me perfectly. It has less buttons so you’ll learn how to use it pretty quick. That’s also what I love about it. 
    I bought my TV only for its screen quality, never care for “smartness” aspect of it. I just plugged in my Apple TV and be done with it. Click a remote and it will turn on both my Apple TV *and* my TV. Fabulous! It has Plex, Infuse, iTunes with one click movie renting and buying, Apple Music, etc. It even has WWDC app, and it doesn’t feel old even after almost 4 years on.

What more can you ask?
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 31 of 40
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    My issue with the remote is solely aimed at IPTV services. Granted I only have experience with DirectTV Now, but it’s slightly annoying not being able to tune directly to a station the way you can with a traditional remote. The lack of standard fast forward and rewind buttons is also a negative. None of these are show stoppers, however, and the tuning issue is somewhat mitigated (in theory) in a recent DTV release that allows tuning to a station with Siri. I say in theory because I haven’t personally tried it. My wife is a tv watcher. I’m a streamer. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

No, when you play Xbox you're not using Roku OS no more than I'm using Roku when I'm using my Apple TV.

My point stands. Roku gets a free sale when people buy these TVs whether they use it or not.
    TCL RokuTV Home:
    At the top of the apps (Netflix/YoutubeTV/HBO, etc) on the homescreen of one I'm looking at are Tivo, Nvidia Shield, Antenna TV, Xbox. I don't know how else I'd conveniently get to those without going thru Roku to do so. (FWIW the Xbox is typically not connected unless my son brings it down).

Everything you want to do on the Roku is accessed thru the Roku OS interface, and every app and promoted streaming service is displayed right there on the homescreen. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 33 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eightzero said:
    mac-daddy said:
    The interface of Apple TV is solid, it's the damn remote I can't get used to. Way too simplistic. 
    Ayup. When I first got it, I thought I could tolerate the remote. I was wrong. I don't use my AppleTV hardly at all now because of it. 
    This $8 remote cover fixes the problem. 

• Reply 34 of 40
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    The Apple TV is a great device, but the base model HD version cost $150, sometimes 4 times what the competitors are offering, Apple isn’t going to have a lot of market share unless they have something less than half the price of the current one(like the 3rd gen was at some point), and I don’t think they have any plans to actually compete as they are releasing the Apple TV app to smart TVs, and I think that Is a better decision than trying to make a half baked version at less than half the price.

I think gaming is the missing link. If they get serious about gaming and include the A12x chip, price won't matter.
    I don't think an A12x chip would make a difference.  Look at the Nintendo Switch, a device that is below in specs compared to the PS4 and XBox, and you can see, as you said, that being serious about gaming is what matters.  And Apple have been slow for years in this market.  Now you are seeing a little more movement recently, but the competition still miles ahead in console and PC / Mac gaming.  Adding an A12x won't make any miracles.  It takes a lot more than a CPU in the gaming market.

And price matters a lot.  A 64GB ATV + a console controller is close to $250.00  The XBox One S All Digital Edition w/ 1TB of storage and 3 games cost $250.  Plus it has the benefit of a large catalog of games.  IMO, pricing is one of the reasons the ATV is so behind in the market.  
    elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 40
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

I have two TCL ( Roku ) 4k tv's in my home and I have never used the built in Roku, or any stand alone Roku for that matter. I was never a fan of built in smart functions. Do you believe that if someone owns an ATV and then gets a TV with Roku.. they sill stop using the ATV?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 36 of 40
    danvm said:
    The Apple TV is a great device, but the base model HD version cost $150, sometimes 4 times what the competitors are offering, Apple isn’t going to have a lot of market share unless they have something less than half the price of the current one(like the 3rd gen was at some point), and I don’t think they have any plans to actually compete as they are releasing the Apple TV app to smart TVs, and I think that Is a better decision than trying to make a half baked version at less than half the price.

I think gaming is the missing link. If they get serious about gaming and include the A12x chip, price won't matter.
    I don't think an A12x chip would make a difference.  Look at the Nintendo Switch, a device that is below in specs compared to the PS4 and XBox, and you can see, as you said, that being serious about gaming is what matters.  And Apple have been slow for years in this market.  Now you are seeing a little more movement recently, but the competition still miles ahead in console and PC / Mac gaming.  Adding an A12x won't make any miracles.  It takes a lot more than a CPU in the gaming market.

And price matters a lot.  A 64GB ATV + a console controller is close to $250.00  The XBox One S All Digital Edition w/ 1TB of storage and 3 games cost $250.  Plus it has the benefit of a large catalog of games.  IMO, pricing is one of the reasons the ATV is so behind in the market.  

Good point. I just feel like A12x PLUS getting serious about gaming can steer people away from the mentioned Xbox etc. But even with AppleArcade it seems they don't give a sh**.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

I have two TCL ( Roku ) 4k tv's in my home and I have never used the built in Roku....
    Do you believe that if someone owns an ATV and then gets a TV with Roku.. they sill stop using the ATV?
    A good thing I said almost every user since you're the obvious exception. And no I don't think someone stops  using here they have because they got a Roku TV. I still use Tivo  and I still use the Shield...
    Accessing them from the Roku TV
  • Reply 38 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

TCL RokuTV Home:
    At the top of the apps (Netflix/YoutubeTV/HBO, etc) on the homescreen of one I'm looking at are Tivo, Nvidia Shield, Antenna TV, Xbox. I don't know how else I'd conveniently get to those without going thru Roku to do so. (FWIW the Xbox is typically not connected unless my son brings it down).

Everything you want to do on the Roku is accessed thru the Roku OS interface, and every app and promoted streaming service is displayed right there on the homescreen. 

I own the TCL Roku TV and the Roku portion isn't even activated. I looked at the menu today because I was trying to undestand your comment.

Here's how it works:

1. I click the Apple TV remote and it turns on and I'm in the Apple TV. No Roku interaction.

OR

2. I use the Roku remote(If I care enough to find it) and it gives me the option to choose inputs such as "Antenna" and "Apple TV". It's basically the settings menu. Nothing about it mentions Roku.

As a matter of fact we've lost the Roku remote a year and didn't care to find it because all we needed was Apple TV. Then we got a Switch which made us kind of need the remote to switch inputs easier.

Really this is ridiculous. It's like saying Apple Music has 1 billion subscribers because the app is idle on their iPhone.

jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

I have two TCL ( Roku ) 4k tv's in my home and I have never used the built in Roku, or any stand alone Roku for that matter. I was never a fan of built in smart functions. Do you believe that if someone owns an ATV and then gets a TV with Roku.. they sill stop using the ATV?

Same here. I buy TCL because they're dirt chap for their picture quality. My family will have 2 maybe 3 soon all with Apple TV and Roku untouched. But again we will have given Roku 5 free "sales". I think Gator is delusional to think everyone buys the Roku TVs to use Roku.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 39 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

TCL RokuTV Home:

I own the TCL Roku TV and the Roku portion isn't even activated. I looked at the menu today because I was trying to undestand your comment.

Here's how it works:

1. I click the Apple TV remote and it turns on and I'm in the Apple TV. No Roku interaction.

2. I use the Roku remote(If I care enough to find it) and it gives me the option to choose inputs such as "Antenna" and "Apple TV". It's basicaly the settings menu. Nothing about it mentions Roku.

As a matter of fact we've lost the Roku remote a year and didn't care to find it because all we needed was Apple TV. Then we got a Switch which made us kind of need the remote to switch inputs easier.

Really this is ridiculous. It's like saying Apple Music has 1 billion subscribers because the app is idle on their iPhone.

jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

Same here. I buy TCL because they're dirt chap for their picture quality. My family will have 2 maybe 3 soon all with Apple TV and Roku untouched. But again we will have given Roku 5 free "sales". I think Gator is delusional to think everyone buys the Roku TVs to use Roku.
    Re-read. I never said "everyone". Just ABOUT everyone. A large majority uses it since it's the OS, the boot screen,  and only way to update the TV itself.  You are obviously an exception. A little honest debate is always welcome. Going to the extreme, either/or,  to make your point isn't being honest. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 40 of 40
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

TCL RokuTV Home:

Here's how it works:

2. I use the Roku remote(If I care enough to find it) and it gives me the option to choose inputs such as "Antenna" and "Apple TV". It's basicaly the settings menu. Nothing about it mentions Roku.

jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    entropys said:

Re-read. I never said "everyone". Just ABOUT everyone. A large majority uses it since it's the OS, the boot screen,  and only way to update the TV itself.  You are obviously an exception. A little honest debate is always welcome. Going to the extreme, either/or,  to make your point isn't being honest. 
    But that's exactly what you're doing. My beef is that counting TV sales makes it look like people are buying Roku devices and not TVs with free Roku built-in that many will not utilize. You're stretching it to include people who update the TV or go to the boot screen as Roku "users". If that's the case than my Apple Music analogy stands. Counting those who update iOS(Apple Music updates) and who may have opened the Music App.

I don't think me and JCS2305 are the "exception" but more like half of us. Think about it together we "own" 3 "Roku devices" but neither has ever used them. My friend buys TVs and doesn't give a sh** what it comes packed with. He just wants something to see his Xbox games on.

BTW I've updated my comment above. It looked like I was talking about steps but I meant there has only been 2 ways I've used the TV.

1. Apple remote to turn on. No OS interaction.

OR

2. Roku remote to navigate to Switch console (about 1% of the TVs use).