So, are the new PowerMacs quiet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am especially curious about the single processor 1 Ghz model. I may buy one when new models come out and the price drops down to almost earthly prices............................................ .......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Too bad the low end isn't a dual processor machine.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>I am especially curious about the single processor 1 Ghz model. I may buy one when new models come out and the price drops down to almost earthly prices............................................ .......</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can hear it and its under my desk. To compare the noise it sounds like when my cd burner is on 12X speed burning. At 16X speed you hear the drive over the computer. It's not bad, I don't mind it all that much but I may put some sound absorbing foam around the enclosure it sits in

A@ron
  • Reply 3 of 18
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The dual 1.25 do sound more than a G4/400. As reported elsevere it has a distinct pitch not ,undefiend humming or woshing sound, rather a lower midrange drone. If I remember the pitch of " A" correctly at 440 Hz it should be in the 250-500 Hz range ( I might be totaly of on this as I have not listened to test tones since 199 or 1998)

I do not like it , but it is far better than the nerve grating high pitched sound of some hard disks
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I have a Dual 800, and when it is powered on in my bedroom, I can usually hear it from my office a mile or so away.

I mean these things are LOUD.

That being said, its a very fast machine, and if a person can get used to New York City, they can get used to a computer that sounds like an ongoing missile test.

• Reply 5 of 18
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    My PC is quieter than my SlowSilver(tm)....it the fact
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Just turn iTunes up a bit... That'll take care of it.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Too bad the low end isn't a dual processor machine. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really. For people like me, who don't need a dualie but would still like to be able to choose their own monitor, it's just right.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I put my dual 1.25 3 to 4 fts away from me/display. I can tell compare to those tray-loaded iMac, the PowerMac is silent. Thinking of a 8cm fan sitting infront of you. If you are using the ADC display, you can buy the 10ft extension cable from Griffin at $60.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My dual 1.25 (not the middle of the latest Power Macs, the former top-of-line, before they made an effort at quietness) has undergone xlr8yourmac.com's fan replacement surgery.

But even before that procedure, my Power Mac couldn't have been as bad as some units must be from the complaints I've seen. Still, having been used to a TiBook as my main system before with Power Mac, it's certainly not whisper quiet, and I'd like it to be quieter.

The eMac sharing my home office is, and was, much louder.

Even though I did my own power supply fan replacement, I'm eager to see how Apple's new fan-swap plan goes. I've sent in my $20, and shipments were supposed to start on March 10th. Even if the new power supply isn't quieter than my modified power supply, I'll be getting a new CPU fan too, something that I haven't replaced yet.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by shetline:

<strong>

Even though I did my own power supply fan replacement, I'm eager to see how Apple's new fan-swap plan goes. I've sent in my $20, and shipments were supposed to start on March 10th. Even if the new power supply isn't quieter than my modified power supply, I'll be getting a new CPU fan too, something that I haven't replaced yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not aware of the fan replacement program-- where can I find out more?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    [quote]Originally posted by AugustWest:

<strong>

I'm not aware of the fan replacement program-- where can I find out more?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="https://depot.info.apple.com/generic/index.html"; target="_blank">https://depot.info.apple.com/generic/index.html</A>;
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Thanks for the info--

You guys/gals are always so damn on top of things!

• Reply 13 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by AugustWest:

<strong>Thanks for the info--

You guys/gals are always so damn on top of things!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it was frontpage news on all mac sites about 2-3 weeks ago..
  • Reply 14 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Open up a 2x1.42 GHz machine sometime and hear the fan start roaring...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    some help for you guys

<a href="http://www.endpcnoise.com"; target="_blank">http://www.endpcnoise.com</a>;

excellent service..i just bought

2 of the nexus 300w power supplies

for hdd's go with the seagate baracudda

open your powermacs & see what fans its has

& if the site above stocks it..

you will wind up with a silent pc/mac
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I finally got around to ording my power supply replacement. Here's the confirmation I got with a new arrival date:

• Reply 17 of 18
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Open up a 2x1.42 GHz machine sometime and hear the fan start roaring...

Actually my brother's dual 1.42ghz he just received yesterday is really quiet!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I'm interested in the Verax kit. Looks like it makes the PowerMacs dead silent! See the video: http://www.g4noise.com/news/1047935967.htm