Samsung reportedly completes Galaxy Fold redesign, release date still unknown

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    Now we know where Jony Ive has been working since Thursday.
    LOL

But may not be far from the truth in the future. I imagine everyone is going to want to work with him, 
    Samsung walking into Jony Ive office, see Huawei already sit there waiting. 
    LOL. You obviously haven't seen any recent Samsung or Huawei flagships. Believe me, neither of them need Sir Jony Ive.

In fact, Apple could learn a thing or two from the design of recent flagships from both companies (or even Oppo and OnePlus).
    My house is in downtown and every time I’m going out I see advertisings of Samsung and Huawei flagship phones on massive billboards everyday (Oh Oppo too). Tries again. Not everyone has shitty taste in design like yours.
    So, what is shitty about the design?

General consensus doesn't share your opinion but if you could detail the shitty design it would at least lend support to your claim.

Many see the S10 Flagships as the best designs on the market right now. P30 Pro is in the same league. 

Far from shitty.

Might not be shitty but it’s amazing how only Apple gets dinged for iterative designs even though every mainstream smartphone these days is iterative.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    On John Gruber’s latest podcast he tells a story of Jony Ive being in an iOS software meeting the day it’s product was shown off on stage. A bunch of people in the room were talking about it. Ive went in to great technical detail on why this product would fail (I think based on prototyping Apple had done). The people in the room were amazed at the knowledge and level of detail he went into. Clearly Samsung rushed this because they wanted to be able to say first. Backfired on them.
    The mostly likely scenario is that Apple has been prototyping this technology for years. Unfortunately, far too many adults never fully grasped the concept and logic of object permanence as children since they assume that Apple hasn't announced a product that they've neither considered nor tested working with a technology.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 64
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Doesn't sound rushed at all /s
    Remember their Exploding Note 7's. It was like a month later when they came out with a so called FIX which really didn't fix anything after those started Exploding. back then I was like, what they figured it out and have a fix already? WOW, that seems fast. What do you know, it was fast and they were still exploding. and so they did a full recall of every last one of those Note 7's.

Now I'm thinking the same things, Really, you have it all fixed? You didn't see the issues with the past version and I could see them as plain as day. Yet they have figured it out this quickly. Why didn't they before? Where these phones ever tested out in the real world or only in a nice clean LAB. Are these so called FIXED versions going to be tested out in the real world?

I'm thinking they're getting rushed fixed, and maybe they last a little longer and then 6 months down the line the issues start cropping up. I'm going to have to see these new updated, fixed phones before making a new guess on how they'll hold up. Still, these things have a plastic screen. Plastic scratches easily. How long before you have scratches all over your screen you can feel as you move your finger around, and see, and start driving you nuts? I'm still interested to see what they have done to fix the current issues.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

But may not be far from the truth in the future. I imagine everyone is going to want to work with him, 
    LOL. You obviously haven't seen any recent Samsung or Huawei flagships. Believe me, neither of them need Sir Jony Ive.

In fact, Apple could learn a thing or two from the design of recent flagships from both companies (or even Oppo and OnePlus).
    Oh, we have. Some prized designs from your chinese knockoff brand:

...amazing work, right there. Can't quite my finger on it...

What's it like living in the alternative reality you occupy, where your chinese knockoffs are in fact innovators and leaders, rather than followers? Hell, even their own CEO said Apple is the leader and please don't ban them in China.

edited July 2019 SolimacguiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Get a quarter inch stack of printer paper.  Align all the edges so no odd pieces stick out.  Now fold that stack right down the middle as neatly as you can.  Notice how the edges parallel to the fold fan out?  That is the fundamental problem of any folding screen whether it's made from several laminated layers or a single integrated film.  Because a screen has positive thickness (unavoidable in the real world) there will always be internal stresses when you fold it due to the inner and outer surfaces of the screen being subject to forces that want to break their alignment.  Eventually, repeated folding and unfolding will ruin the screen, perhaps by permanently warping the whole screen, maybe forming a permanent crease on the fold, or delaminating its layers.

(Well maybe someday some boffin will invent a material that reconfigures itself at a molecular level each time it is folded or unfolded.  I've seen them do it in the Terminator movies, so why not, huh?)
    edited July 2019 tmayAppleExposedfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Its an interesting, if useless, idea whose time has not yet come. 

What's useless about it? I'd love to have an iPad Mini folded up in my pocket.

but I'd also like to have a flying bicycle, so
  • Reply 27 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

My house is in downtown and every time I’m going out I see advertisings of Samsung and Huawei flagship phones on massive billboards everyday (Oh Oppo too). Tries again. Not everyone has shitty taste in design like yours.

General consensus doesn't share your opinion but if you could detail the shitty design it would at least lend support to your claim.

Many see the S10 Flagships as the best designs on the market right now. P30 Pro is in the same league. 

Far from shitty.

Might not be shitty but it’s amazing how only Apple gets dinged for iterative designs even though every mainstream smartphone these days is iterative.
    I think the problem for Apple in this context is twofold.

1. They only release three phones a year (before it was just two) and the older phones stick around in the major lineup.

2. Their designs, when they change, don't change enough. A problem that gets compounded by the older, similar looking, phones in the lineup.

The only way Apple can alter the perception is by making bigger changes and more frequently but doesn't seem likely so the dinging will continue.

As of today we have plenty of design options open to us in the phone market. Full screen sliders, pop-ups, notches big and small, hole punches etc. All manner of finishes and materials and very soon, two different folding designs.

On top of that I've even seen rumours of a Samsung folding phone but Huawei style.

What is kind of curious is that all of those designs look gorgeous too. And not only gorgeous but absolutely gorgeous.

I hope that Apple actually springs a mild surprise with the finish on the 2019 refresh. At the very least.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    On John Gruber’s latest podcast he tells a story of Jony Ive being in an iOS software meeting the day it’s product was shown off on stage. A bunch of people in the room were talking about it. Ive went in to great technical detail on why this product would fail (I think based on prototyping Apple had done). The people in the room were amazed at the knowledge and level of detail he went into. Clearly Samsung rushed this because they wanted to be able to say first. Backfired on them.
    Beat me to it. The way he tells the story alone i amazing.

Heard it here:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

1. They only release three phones a year (before it was just two) and the older phones stick around in the major lineup.

2. Their designs, when they change, don't change enough. A problem that gets compounded by the older, similar looking, phones in the lineup.

The only way Apple can alter the perception is by making bigger changes and more frequently but doesn't seem likely so the dinging will continue.

As of today we have plenty of design options open to us in the phone market. Full screen sliders, pop-ups, notches big and small, hole punches etc. All manner of finishes and materials and very soon, two different folding designs.

On top of that I've even seen rumours of a Samsung folding phone but Huawei style.

What is kind of curious is that all of those designs look gorgeous too. And not only gorgeous but absolutely gorgeous.

I hope that Apple actually springs a mild surprise with the finish on the 2019 refresh. At the very least.

Yet your knockoffs have been copying Apple since 2008.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

The don't need Jony because they already stole his designs.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Did I miss Apple's folding, sliding, waterdrop, hole punch, gradient, folding, supercharging etc options?

If not, how did they get copied from Apple and why is Apple rumoured to be licencing almost 800 Huawei patents?

Of course speaking of patents, Huawei registered more than any other company on the planet last year (WIPO). It also consistently invests more in R&D than Apple.

Do you want me to go through the list of what's missing on the inside of iPhones? I think you don't but I'm talking design in a pretty general sense here.

I understand that you automatically label any non-Apple phone as a 'copy/knockoff' but those labels fall off under their own weight.

Even you should be able to acknowledge (if only begrudgingly) that series 6,7 and 8 phones didn't move the needle that much and some iPhone users were also commenting on the staleness of the lineup. So far (too soon to know, though), the X series phones have fallen into a similar pattern.

I am simply suggesting a bit more effort on the design.
    AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Maybe it's my age, but every time I see the banner for this subject I keep thinking 'Why are the talking about the Ford Galaxy??'
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I think Apple's problem is twofold, but the same as every cellphone manufacturer;

1) The cellphone is basically a mature device. It's plateaued. It's gone about as far as it can go as a revolutionary device. It's been an evolutionary device for a few iterations now.

2) The vast majority of the consumer market fails to understand that. Too many people want a fashion accessory that is a cellphone. Even here there are cries of 'this looks just like last year's phone! Gimme something different. Don't care what it is - just different!'

'Hah! My 'droid doubles as a drink coaster and plays music through the glass so loud it rattles the ice!' Yeah, no.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 64
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Did I miss Apple's folding, sliding, waterdrop, hole punch, gradient, folding, supercharging etc options?

If not, how did they get copied from Apple and why is Apple rumoured to be licencing almost 800 Huawei patents?

Of course speaking of patents, Huawei registered more than any other company on the planet last year (WIPO). It also consistently invests more in R&D than Apple.

Do you want me to go through the list of what's missing on the inside of iPhones? I think you don't but I'm talking design in a pretty general sense here.

I understand that you automatically label any non-Apple phone as a 'copy/knockoff' but those labels fall off under their own weight.

Even you should be able to acknowledge (if only begrudgingly) that series 6,7 and 8 phones didn't move the needle that much and some iPhone users were also commenting on the staleness of the lineup. So far (too soon to know, though), the X series phones have fallen into a similar pattern.

Unfortunately, you're missing the golden rules of a few posters here:

1) Apple did it first.
    2) Apple did not do it first, but now does it better.
    3) Apple isn't doing it, so it is inferior and not worth the time.

Once you get into this mindset, you see how invented words like iknockoffs get thrown around.  I'd be lying if I said in my early days of supporting Apple, I didn't think these exact same rules, and even more so when working for an Authorized Dealer during/out of college for awhile.  The KoolAid was sweet and in my favorite cherry flavor!  I would have been one of these posters, no doubt, and taking it personally if someone slandered my favorite brand.

I'm older and been around so much tech I can appreciate "other things", like you seem to, for the good points they are and the jobs they can do that my (still favorite) fruit company cannot or won't.

My OnePlus 7 Pro is a marvel to me.  Besides my Macs, it is the best piece of tech I've ever owned for it's use-case.  It is the phone I've been waiting for, for a long time. Going back to my Galaxy or even an iPhone would be a serious downgrade to me.
    AppleExposedbigtdsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 64
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

How old are you? You remind me of the kids who think iPhones always existed. The kids who claim all knockoffs are "original" lol. Yet you guys expect Apple to release a revolutionary product every year for knockoff companies to steal.

Until Android can break away from iPhone design and develop an OS from the ground up. It's always gonna be on the copycat path Apple paved for them.

And don't fool yourself thinking a foldable iPhone is "innovative" when this is only a reactionary move after Apple patented a foldable display. This is why these knockoff companies are running around like a chicken with their head cutoff wondering how to and why they are doing this.

Sound familiar?

Edge Display
    Galaxy Gear
    Milk Music
    Ugly Memoji knockoffs

Failed "innovations" rushed to market after Apple patents were discovered for these. Except when Apples products arrived they took the world by storm (Apple Watch, iPhone 6, Apple Park, Animoji/Memoji etc). Samsung has been playing this "first!" game for years hoping they'll finally get it right and be the next Apple. We've seen it all before and IF Apple decides to release a foldable display it's gonna be DONE RIGHT. It might not even be an iPhone. Then the entire industry will copy and idiots will claim "Samsung invented this!"
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

Could this guy show any more that he simply does not get Apple? That they don’t do change for change’s sake? That they don’t throw tons of shit against the wall to see what sticks? That only doing one, then two, now three phones a year is how they became the best-selling handset and #1 brand?

I mean this guy personifies everything about getting Apple wrong. All of the things they did right that made them successful he sees a “problem”. It’s hilarious. 

No my guy, they will not be doing any of that. 
    AppleExposedtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64
    majorsl said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

1) Apple did it first.

Once you get into this mindset, you see how invented words like iknockoffs get thrown around.  I'd be lying if I said in my early days of supporting Apple, I didn't think these exact same rules, and even more so when working for an Authorized Dealer during/out of college for awhile.  The KoolAid was sweet and in my favorite cherry flavor!  I would have been one of these posters, no doubt, and taking it personally if someone slandered my favorite brand.

I'm older and been around so much tech I can appreciate "other things", like you seem to, for the good points they are and the jobs they can do that my (still favorite) fruit company cannot or won't.

My OnePlus 7 Pro is a marvel to me.  Besides my Macs, it is the best piece of tech I've ever owned for it's use-case.  It is the phone I've been waiting for, for a long time. Going back to my Galaxy or even an iPhone would be a serious downgrade to me.
    Your OnePlus is a blatant knockoff too.

Until a phone company can develop a new design and OS it will be original. Common sense man.

I miss the days of Blackberries, flip phones and sliders etc. Now everything is shaped like an iPhone with the same EXACT gestures/Apps/Stores Steve Jobs announced in 2007. We get the same excuses "well I don't know how else a smartphone is supposed to be shaped durr hurr".

Same is happening with Airpods where iKnockoff users claim "I don't know how else wireless earbuds are supposed to be shaped".

It won't be long before people claim these aren't knockoffs and claim they're better than the real thing from Apple. History repeats.

2 things android will never steal:
    Privacy & Security.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

Could this guy show any more that he simply does not get Apple? That they don’t do change for change’s sake? That they don’t throw tons of shit against the wall to see what sticks? That only doing one, then two, now three phones a year is how they became the best-selling handset and #1 brand?

I mean this guy personifies everything about getting Apple wrong. All of the things they did right that made them successful he sees a “problem”. It’s hilarious. 

No my guy, they will not be doing any of that. 

What gets me every time is how they expect Apple to release a revolutionary product yearly. Meanwhile every other company is in limbo.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

LOL “effort”. What you routinely fail to grasp is that doing change for change’s sake isn’t good design. Saying “no” is often more valuable than saying yes. Removing, not adding. Design is how it works, not just how it looks. Etc. Whoooosh. 

Nah, we label your crappy chinese knockoffs copycats because that’s what they are. You cannot deny this. 

edited July 2019 fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64

majorsl said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

1) Apple did it first.

Cool troll tropes, but nope. Apple rarely does it first, but almost always does it better. This is just fact. It’s why they don’t rush out to implement dumb bullet list features in the name of being first like the crummy knockoffs do. 

As for age, most of us have been using PCs and Apple machines from the 1980s, we’ve seen it too. Apple is still here, 43 years later. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    majorsl said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

Far from shitty.

avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

1) Apple did it first.

Your OnePlus is a blatant knockoff too.

Until a phone company can develop a new design and OS it will be original. Common sense man.

I miss the days of Blackberries, flip phones and sliders etc. Now everything is shaped like an iPhone with the same EXACT gestures/Apps/Stores Steve Jobs announced in 2007. We get the same excuses "well I don't know how else a smartphone is supposed to be shaped durr hurr".

Same is happening with Airpods where iKnockoff users claim "I don't know how else wireless earbuds are supposed to be shaped".

It won't be long before people claim these aren't knockoffs and claim they're better than the real thing from Apple. History repeats.

2 things android will never steal:
    Privacy & Security.
    LOL, that OnePlus is a shameless knockoff, too many design language elements to type. Love that despite copying the notch it still has a chin! Talk about pointless aping. 
    fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra