Apple's App Store generated 80% more revenue than Google Play with a third as many install...

Posted:
in iOS
Apple's iOS App Store continued to dominate the worldwide market in terms of revenue gained from premium apps and in-app purchases over the first half of 2019, with the online storefront generating nearly 1.8 times the revenue of rival Google's store for Android devices.

Sensor Tower

According to new statistics from Sensor Tower, the iOS App Store raked in an estimated $25.5 billion worldwide in the six-month period ending in June, up 13.2% from $22.6 billion in the first half of 2018.

First-time installs decreased to 14.8 billion, down 1.4% year-over-year on the back of a poor first quarter showing in China. App Store downloads increased in the second quarter of 2019, up 3% year-on-year, but the uptick was not enough to offset China's quarter one slump.

Despite the downturn in installs, Apple's $25.5 billion in revenue easily topped that of the Google Play store, which managed $14.2 billion over the same period. Despite the comparatively low figure, Google's Android storefront exhibited higher growth, with gross revenue jumping 19.6% year-over-year.

Perhaps contributing to Google's revenue boost is a 16.4% increase in installs, which hit an estimated 41.9 billion in the first half of this year.

While Google's store saw about 2.8 times the install volume of Apple's App Store, iOS generated nearly 1.8 times the revenue, Sensor Tower said.

Combined, iOS and Android users spent an estimated $39.7 billion on apps over the half, up 15.4% from the $34.4 billion notched in the year-ago half.

Taking a closer look at segment performance, games brought in an estimated $29.6 billion across both stores, up 11.3 percent from the same time last year. Due in part to slow China sales earlier this year, App Store games revenue grew 7.8% to reach $17.6 billion for the first half, while Google Play grew 16.8 percent to hit $12 billion.

Games downloads were down 1.4% on iOS and up 4.6% in the Google Play store, Sensor Tower said.

Due to its user base, content quality and pricing strategy, Apple's storefront consistently beats out competitors in terms of outright value. The latest statistics also demonstrate recuperation of the Chinese market, which saw decreased consumer spending in the first quarter of 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Sad how Google can just steal Apples hard work and rake in $14B a year. Wow.

applesnorangesmark fearingStrangeDaysgenovellesteven n.mwhitelolliverchia
  • Reply 2 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet some “developers” are suing Apple, the goose that lays their golden eggs of profit because of Apple’s cut and its so-called monopoly of the iOS app store. These developers make tons more money off the iOS App Store than they do the Google Play store but that’s not good enough for them. Biting the hand that feeds them.
    tmayAppleExposedlolliverchiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 27
    ^^ This unfortunately is gonna bite all of us when it’s all said and done... yikes...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    bigtds said:

Man you really need to get a life.
    Says the one who rants about the prices of things they will never buy.
    lkruppapplesnorangesStrangeDayssteven n.mwhiteuraharaAppleExposedlolliverchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    bigtds said:

As a resident Fandroid cheaptard he neither confirms nor denies this cartoon.
    mwhiteAppleExposedchiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

Ha! He's news to me. I always find it funny that when you post something too close to home you receive elementary insults.One I get often after posting FACTS is "get a girlfriend!" lol

Fortunately I work alone so I can check AI whenever I want. Maybe he's jealous?

edit: Just checked his comment history. Every other comment is a reply to me. lol

lkrupp said:
    Yet some “developers” are suing Apple, the goose that lays their golden eggs of profit because of Apple’s cut and its so-called monopoly of the iOS app store. These developers make tons more money off the iOS App Store than they do the Google Play store but that’s not good enough for them. Biting the hand that feeds them.

You know, this is an important discussion. These developers could end up losing a lot if Apple is forced to allow 3rd party app stores.

Say it happens and a pirate app store appears. All paid apps are free here. Imagine all the money these devs would lose? Sure it's an apocalyptic scenario but these developers are pushing the possibility.
    edited July 2019 mwhitelolliverchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

I bet you're just a real gem to be around in person. I save this quote for these occasions: "insults are the last resort of the weak-minded when they feel powerless."
    gatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    bigtds said:

You lost bro?
    AppleExposedlolliverRonnnieOwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Before we had smart phones we still had "dumb" phones which could do basic tasks on the internet, take photos etc.

Those "dumb phones" don't exist anymore, they have been replaced by the cheap end of Android devices. They do however remain as a large volume driver as they are the "default" cheap phone for people. The result is they make very little money for Google, and practically no money for developers.

If you visit a Telco's store you'll notice that the small-screened basic mobile phone and the cheapest Android with its proportionally larger screen are about the same price. This isn't an accident, their goal is to sell the cheap Android device because the customer will need a data plan to go with it, while the small screen phone is priced higher to make up for the fact that it won't use a data plan.

The goal of Telcos is to obtain the peak number of subscriptions, cheap android devices facilitate this - and it's why they have such big numbers.
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    bigtds said:

Sounds about right! It shows in the numbers. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

Ha! He's news to me. I always find it funny that when you post something too close to home you receive elementary insults.One I get often after posting FACTS is "get a girlfriend!" lol

edit: Just checked his comment history. Every other comment is a reply to me. lol

lkrupp said:

You know, this is an important discussion. These developers could end up losing a lot if Apple is forced to allow 3rd party app stores.

Say it happens and a pirate app store appears. All paid apps are free here. Imagine all the money these devs would lose? Sure it's an apocalyptic scenario but these developers are pushing the possibility.
    In reality the so called developers that want this may actually be the hackers. 
  • Reply 12 of 27
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    majorsl said:
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

I bet you're just a real gem to be around in person. I save this quote for these occasions: "insults are the last resort of the weak-minded when they feel powerless."
    Insults someone. Then claims insults are for the weak minded when they feel powerless.  ????
    mwhiteuraharaRayz2016AppleExposedlolliverchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Recently, I decided to buy Super Mario Run for my kid. I noticed that in the app description it said that In App purchases cannot be shared via Family Sharing, which effectively meant that I had to buy multiple copies if all of us wanted to play it.

I then noticed the same warning on some other apps as well. So does anyone know if this is an App Store policy, or whether devs can choose to not include In App purchases on Family Sharing?

edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Except that there is no scenario where Apple will ever allow 3rd-party App stores.  You may think the U.S. government will “force” Apple to do so, but it’s just not going to happen.  It will be tied up for years, a decade if not more in the courts before anything happens.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I know you guys have to report that, but after so many years of the same news, it hardly qualifies as actual news anymore!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    majorsl said:
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

I bet you're just a real gem to be around in person. I save this quote for these occasions: "insults are the last resort of the weak-minded when they feel powerless.”
    Always interesting when a post hits a nerve. Two Android fans lurking in an Apple centric forum upset by a cartoon that tells it like it is. Posting histories are fun to investigate when this happens.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedlolliverchiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 27
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    majorsl said:
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

I bet you're just a real gem to be around in person. I save this quote for these occasions: "insults are the last resort of the weak-minded when they feel powerless.”
    Always interesting when a post hits a nerve. Two Android fans lurking in an Apple centric forum upset by a cartoon that tells it like it is. Posting histories are fun to investigate when this happens.
    I actually spend quite a bit in the PlayStore.  If you're so interested in my post history you'll see that I'm a Mac fan and not so much an iOS fan.  Unfortunately, a certain group of (rotten to the) core users like yourself call us Apple fans names when we don't cow down to "Apple is perfect with everything."  Although, that seems to be your modus-operandi in another forum too where you occasionally show up to try and stir the pot.

Your posting history shows a lot about yourself too, usually spiteful and arrogant towards anyone not engaging in proper Apple groupthink, regardless of good points being made.
    bigtdsgatorguy
  • Reply 18 of 27
    genovelle said:
    bigtds said:

Sounds about right! It shows in the numbers. 
    Is this an insult to me? You're just a few posts under me.

genovelle said:
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

lkrupp said:

In reality the so called developers that want this may actually be the hackers. 

"but but freedom!"

If GooglePlay is a mess, a third-party app store will be the wild west.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    majorsl said:
    lkrupp said:
    majorsl said:
    lkrupp said:
    bigtds said:

I actually spend quite a bit in the PlayStore.  If you're so interested in my post history you'll see that I'm a Mac fan and not so much an iOS fan.  Unfortunately, a certain group of (rotten to the) core users like yourself call us Apple fans names when we don't cow down to "Apple is perfect with everything."  Although, that seems to be your modus-operandi in another forum too where you occasionally show up to try and stir the pot.

Your posting history shows a lot about yourself too, usually spiteful and arrogant towards anyone not engaging in proper Apple groupthink, regardless of good points being made.

The original fandroid in this thread insulted first. So you replied to the wrong person it seems.

You do know where the iPhone vs. knockoffs war started right? Android manufacturers and anti-Apple media. Look at android ads. The funniest ones are when a cheap knockoff makes fun of Apple lines.

We get called "sheep". "idiots", "snobs"  and other things that are false but the moment we defend ourselves we're "assholes" lol.
    lolliverchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    bigtds said:

How do you know what I would or wouldn't buy? I will purchase whatever provides value to me regardless of price or brand. Complaining about the price of a particular item doesn't mean I won't buy it. It just means it's pricey. Plenty of users on this site do the same. Making idiotic assumptions about other people's purchases of certain brands based on falsely percieved economic status seems to be a hobby for some on this site.
    avon b7AppleExposedFileMakerFeller