Apple's iPhone privacy ad campaign continues with new billboards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Apple recently erected new billboard advertisements in Canada to promote what has become an intense focus on consumer data privacy, continuing a campaign launched at CES 2019 in January.

iPhone Privacy
Apple billboard in Canada touts iPhone privacy. | Source: Josh McConnell via Twitter

The latest billboards, spotted by CBC Toronto contributor Matt Elliot and former tech journalist Josh McConnell, follow the same theme as Apple's CES advertisement and feature an outline schematic of an iPhone XS next to lines of clever text.

New Apple billboard outside Sidewalk Toronto HQ: "We're in the business of staying out of yours." pic.twitter.com/I24iAxkXzZ

— Matt Elliott (@GraphicMatt)

As noted by Elliot on Twitter, the billboard standing outside of Sidewalk Labs' Toronto headquarters reads, "We're in the business of staying out of yours." Below the pithy statement is Apple's "Privacy. That's iPhone." slogan.

A second billboard, painted on the side of a building facing major Toronto thoroughfare King Street West, reads, "Privacy is King." and includes the "That's iPhone." catchphrase. Apple seems to be a frequent lessee of the ad space, as past photos of the area show billboards bearing popular company promotions like last year's Behind the Mac campaign.

The tweets were first reported by iMore on Wednesday.

Apple debuted the visually staid but contextually lively billboard project at CES. While the company did not take part in the annual expo, its presence was felt with a large ad plastered on the side a SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel, looming over attendees at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Like the new billboards in Canada, Apple's CES poster pushed the company's stance on privacy, reading, "What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone." The line is a sendup of Las Vegas' marketing catchphrase "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

Apple officially launched its "Privacy. That's iPhone." ad campaign in March with a humorous commercial urging consumers to take data privacy seriously. A series of similar spots has since aired on television and social media platforms.

Apple continues to frame itself as a bastion of data protection in an industry littered with companies keen on collecting and marketing customer information for monetary gain. As tech giants Facebook and Google face increased criticism over allegedly intrusive business strategies, Apple is moving forward with data privacy technologies like Do Not Track for iOS apps and the "Sign in with Apple" feature due to arrive alongside iOS 13 this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Apple is really onto something here.

I emailed all the App Developers of the few Third Party Apps I use both on my iOS devices and MacOS, TVOS. I asked them directly if they collect, distill and sell my personal information.

All of them assured me they don't. Some of them were quite offended even though in the first sentence I said, "please don't be offended..." :)

I listen to a few Apple podcasts, (mainly ones with Jason Snell), and it amazes me when, guests extoll the virtues of Android, Google, Google Docs, Chrome, etc. They just gloss over the privacy issue! 

I know there maybe better Note apps, Messaging apps, Podcast apps, email apps, Pages-like apps, Numbers-like apps, Books apps, Calendar apps, Map apps, News apps, Music apps, Contacts apps, Photo apps, PDF Reader apps, Password generation apps, Online Backup apps, etc, etc., but I only trust Apple.

And that's why I only use their apps! :)

I've never been on FB, never been on Twitter, use DuckDuckGo as my browser, 

Apple's iPhones collect on average 75 data points a day, Android (or as I call them 'Taliban' phones) collect 1,500 data points a day).

FB collects  29,000 data points on each of its users! (Source: Scott Galloway, Pivot Podcast - Really recommend it.)

applesnorangessteveautmay
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I listen to a few Apple podcasts, (mainly ones with Jason Snell), and it amazes me when, guests extoll the virtues of Android, Google, Google Docs, Chrome, etc. They just gloss over the privacy issue! 
    My tolerance level for such people is very low. That's why I just stick to the AI podcast and the Space Javelin podcast. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member

All of them assured me they don't. Some of them were quite offended even though in the first sentence I said, "please don't be offended..." :)
    Well, there's your problem!

Any comment or question preceded by "please don't be offended…" probably needs to be reworked.

That's like throwing a "Calm down!" into an argument. Guaranteed fail!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Apple should keep reminding the politicians that make the decision that without strong encryption it is their own data and that of their families that is at the greatest risk of being exposed. "How would you explain to your daughter that it was you that exposed her snapchat photos to the entire internet?"
  • Reply 5 of 8
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Apple marketing is being super smart here.
    Privacy has existed only in our mind, credit bureaus have been known for collecting personal information since the ‘50s.  
    All Apple has to continue to do is positioning themselves as being KNOWN for protecting personal data, something their competitors are NOT known for.

I think the key here... Is not to over promise.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gandrewgandrew Posts: 1member

My tolerance level for such people is very low. That's why I just stick to the AI podcast and the Space Javelin podcast. 
    lol that is same with me too
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mknelson said:

All of them assured me they don't. Some of mcdvoice them were quite offended even though in the first sentence I said, "please don't be offended..." :)
    Well, there's your problem!

Any comment or question preceded by "please don't be offended…" probably needs to be reworked.

That's like throwing a "Calm down!" into an argument. Guaranteed fail!
    yeah ! that's right