Bill Gates equates Steve Jobs' talent to 'casting spells'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Bill Gates has spoken of Steve Jobs' ability to mesmerize people an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS show, equating Jobs' talent to magic.

Bill Gates

According to Bloomberg, Bill Gates was impressed by Steve Jobs' ability to take a firm that was "on a path to die" and turn it into one of the most valuable companies to date. He claimed that this was largely because Steve Jobs possessed an almost magical ability to mesmerize people.

"I was like a minor wizard because he would be casting spells, and I would see people mesmerized, but because I'm a minor wizard, the spells don't work on me," said Gates.

Gates also went on to discuss Jobs' ability to innately understand what made both people and products a worthwhile investment.

"I have yet to meet any person who [could rival Jobs] in terms of picking talent, hyper-motivating that talent, and having a sense of design of, oh, this is good [or] this is not good," Gates continued.

CNN's segment is the latest in a series of interviews with many publications, in which Gates has spoken specifically about Apple. In one recent conversation, Gates expressed regret over not successfully competing with Apple in the mobile market.

"The greatest mistake is whatever mismanagement I engaged in that caused Microsoft not to be what Android is," he said. "That is, Android is the standard non-Apple phone platform."

CNN has not released the interview online yet, but has featured a prior Gates' interview in which he discussed his thoughts on government regulation of technology firms, as well as what he would have done differently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just another way of saying only stupid people buy Apple products. Casting spells but he could see right through them because he was a wizard too? My ass.
    edited July 2019 claire1StrangeDaysDAalsethcharlesgresiqatedocat52racerhomie3jeffharriscornchippscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 55
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    lkrupp said:
    Just another way of saying only stupid people buy Apple products. Casting spells but he could see right through them because a wizard too? My ass.
    I also enjoyed the silly hubris of "Steve & I were both minor wizards", but you didn't expect Mr Gates to admit that he was always totally outclassed by Mr Jobs did you ;-)
    claire1StrangeDayscharlesgrescat52jeffharriscornchippscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 55
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    Just another way of saying only stupid people buy Apple products. Casting spells but he could see right through them because a wizard too? My ass.
    What?
    He wasn't dissing Steve or marginalizing him or his talents.   Quite the opposite.  What he said was:
    ""I have yet to meet any person who [could rival Jobs] in terms of picking talent, hyper-motivating that talent, and having a sense of design of, oh, this is good [or] this is not good,""

And, he said that he himself was only a "minor wizard" -- so he couldn't do what Steve did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These two, in their later years actually opened up and showed respect for each other.   Mutual respect between giants. 

Today things seem to be all about beating the other guy at any and all costs -- and showing respect is a sin.   These two (eventually) rose above that nonsense.
    dewmeurahara1STnTENDERBITSbigtdscanukstormjdwentropysmuthuk_vanalingamsteveaumike1
  • Reply 4 of 55
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    I don't take it that way - like many highly successful entrepreneurs, Jobs could sell and idea and make people believe in it. Having a vision is one thing, but getting other people to believe in and work towards that vision is another and something not a lot of people can do. If you take Gate's assessment that Jobs had an outstanding ability to pick and motivate talented people, you have someone with a rare combination of talents that produced the Apple we know today.
    GeorgeBMac1STnTENDERBITSbigtdsmuthuk_vanalingammike1chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 55
     think this s appropriate here:   Bill and Steve obviously had a great deal of respect for each other and, as we see here:   Steve needed Bill and Bill needed Steve.

dewmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 55
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    No he just knew what the fuck he was doing. No "spells".
    StrangeDayscat52doctwelvejeffharriscornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 55
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
     think this s appropriate here:   Bill and Steve obviously had a great deal of respect for each other and, as we see here:   Steve needed Bill and Bill needed Steve.

Bill needed Steve. Steve would have been better off without Bills thievery. 
    StrangeDayscat52seanjdoctwelvejeffharriscornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 55
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    I don't take it that way - like many highly successful entrepreneurs, Jobs could sell and idea and make people believe in it. Having a vision is one thing, but getting other people to believe in and work towards that vision is another and something not a lot of people can do. If you take Gate's assessment that Jobs had an outstanding ability to pick and motivate talented people, you have someone with a rare combination of talents that produced the Apple we know today.
    "A" players don't like to work with "B" players"...

Chuck Noll, the couch and architect of the 70's Steelers dynasty may, I suspect, have had a similar motivational strategy to Steve's.   In his introduction to the team after being hired he told them:   "If I have to motivate you, I will fire you!".
    claire1radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 55
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    God what crap this Gates interview has furnished. Gates can't give credit where it's due and the absurd amount of money he's amassed has blinded him to the improper means used to acquire it. He genuinely can't seem to understand why other people have been successful in this field, or why Microsoft isn't successful in the mobile-era of devices.

He really doesn't seem to understand that if genuine competition played out, Microsoft wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as it was.
    StrangeDaysiqatedocat52seanjjeffharrispscooter63radarthekatmjtomlinjony0
  • Reply 10 of 55
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    sumergo said:
    lkrupp said:
    I also enjoyed the silly hubris of "Steve & I were both minor wizards", but you didn't expect Mr Gates to admit that he was always totally outclassed by Mr Jobs did you ;-)
    Maybe not so surprising candor from Gates! Although I'm a long time friend of Apple (paraphrased movie reference) I think Gates is often wrongfully maligned.

In a D Conference interview (IIRC) he and Jobs were asked what they admired about each other. Gates was again surprisingly candid and sincere while Jobs came off as being a little cagey and trying to say something nice without being complimentary.

As a presenter, Jobs did posses near mystical power to charm an audience. He was very charismatic. You at least generally listened to what he said, before making up your mind one way or the other. <s>Haters,/s> Some people have chosen to dub that ability as the RDF. That's incorrect. That's Hate-Speak.

• Reply 11 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    What?
    He wasn't dissing Steve or marginalizing him or his talents.   Quite the opposite.  What he said was:
    ""I have yet to meet any person who [could rival Jobs] in terms of picking talent, hyper-motivating that talent, and having a sense of design of, oh, this is good [or] this is not good,""

And, he said that he himself was only a "minor wizard" -- so he couldn't do what Steve did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These two, in their later years actually opened up and showed respect for each other.   Mutual respect between giants. 

Today things seem to be all about beating the other guy at any and all costs -- and showing respect is a sin.   These two (eventually) rose above that nonsense.
    He was clearly also saying Jobs was snowing people but it didn’t work on him (because he’s a wizard of BS too). That is the part Krupp is disputing - that it wasn’t ever BS to begin with. 

As for their relationship, you’re just on the outside looking in, you don’t know. In the Becoming Steve Jobs biography the authors suggest they were friends long before, apart from the public rivalry narrative. 

As for your last claim...are Cook and rivals publicly clobbering each other?
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 12 of 55
    lkrupp said:
    What?

He was clearly also saying Jobs was snowing people but it didn’t work on him (because he’s a wizard of BS too). That is the part Krupp is disputing - that it wasn’t ever BS to begin with. 

As for their relationship, you’re just on the outside looking in, you don’t know. In the Becoming Steve Jobs biography the authors suggest they were friends long before, apart from the public rivalry narrative. 

As for your last claim...are Cook and rivals publicly clobbering each other?
    I base my opinions on what I have heard and read each said about the other.  (You might want to watch the short video of the two in an interview with Walt Mossberg I posted here earlier.)

But, even in this interview Gates said:
    ""I have yet to meet any person who [could rival Jobs] in terms of picking talent, hyper-motivating that talent, and having a sense of design of, oh, this is good [or] this is not good,"

That sounds like respect and admiration to me.

As for my last point:   No, there are still some mature people around.   A few.

chemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How long until some bozo saunters in here and regurgitates the “Microsoft saved Apple” myth?
    claire1cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Give it a rest Bill, I’m tired and want to sleep.
    claire1geekmee
  • Reply 15 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sorry Bill, it wasn't Steve's magic spells. It was the products that simply worked. 
    geekmeeStrangeDaysjeffharriscornchippscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 55
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sumergo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gates was being humble...he was by no means a “minor wizard”.  He also didn’t call Steve a minor wizard but a great one.

Neither totally outclassed the other and Gates is correct.  MS should have beaten Google but did not.  There were two keys elements that they failed to kill google on:  enterprise integration/security and games. 

Had they played to these two strengths they may have beaten Android.  The first would have required better than blackberry security and device deployment/management with top tier mail service.  The second would have required a lot of effort in optimizing for phone gpus and high quality ports of games available on Xbox.
    GeorgeBMac1STnTENDERBITScornchip
  • Reply 17 of 55
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Gates just doesn't get it and never will.  While Jobs certainly had a talent for presenting products and ideas in an entertaining and convincing way, the reason for this is because he truly understood the human needs behind those products.  The reasons why other people would want or need them.  And he was working with very talented people who also understood the human needs their work was being applied to and were inspired by it.  People weren't falling under a spell, they were having their needs and wants spoken to directly.

His nonsense about not falling under the "spell" is simply because he has never connected with the needs of others in a way which has made him see the importance of them.  He (and his company) worked hard at creating copy-cat products because he'd never have had the vision to create entirely new products if left to his own devices.  There are so many people in the technology industry who lack this same ability to connect with others, and who simply dismiss Apple's success the same way.
    StrangeDaysJanNLHyperealityjeffharriscornchippscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 18 of 55
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    lkrupp said:
    Just another way of saying only stupid people buy Apple products. Casting spells but he could see right through them because he was a wizard too? My ass.
    Not so sure about that...
    Smart people can be just as set in their ways as dumb people.
    Sometimes you need a bit of Magic or Razzle just to get people to even consider if what you are selling will be better for them?

I do agree with Bill Steve had that magic right down to the dead pan dismissal of the obvious question.
    Even after he passed Steve still managed to control the Narative of the Apple Pencil.

Don't agree with Bill that he had even a minor level of that skill.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 19 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    "I was like a minor wizard because he would be casting spells, and I would see people mesmerized, but because I'm a minor wizard, the spells don't work on me," said Gates.

Spoken like a moron who has no concept of the many realms that are the Fantasy genre, especially AD&D.

Or in male/female social gathering parlance, ``I don't see what he has that's so special?''

``You mean besides, personality, charisma, insight into the human condition, wit, the ability captivate? If you take those away he still has you beat on looks. But you're right. Without all that you're even.''
    edited July 2019 FileMakerFellerStrangeDaysjeffharrispscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 55
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Fareed interroGATES Bill. Bill abroGATES his responsibility here when he neGATES Steve's talents, and mitiGATES his own failings. He now releGATES himself to history's dustbin with all his snow JOBS.
    mdriftmeyerNoFliesOnMecornchipradarthekatkestral