Apple heads to Sun Valley 2019 conference as Apple TV+ launch looms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
This week Apple executives are once more slated to attend Allen & Co.'s annual conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, where they will hobnob with fellow corporate leaders from companies like Amazon, Facebook, Disney, and AT&T.

Tim Cook and Eddy Cue at Sun Valley 2018.
Tim Cook and Eddy Cue at Sun Valley 2018.

Apple's attendance was reported by Variety, though the trade publication didn't name specific guests. Most likely the company will send CEO Tim Cook and senior VP Eddy Cue, both of whom have been Sun Valley regulars.

The conference is a prime opportunity for business leaders to network with each other and forge preliminary business deals. In 2018, some other guests included media baron Rupert Murdoch, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Past deals originating at Sun Valley have included Disney's $19 billion ABC/Capital Cities buyout, and Bezos' takeover of the Washington Post.

This year's conference comes at a critical time for Apple, as it's preparing to launch two new services this fall, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+. The event could be an opportunity for Cook and Cue to recruit new partners, particularly in the case of Apple TV+, given the need for a constant flow of new shows to hold subscribers.

Cue recently claimed that Apple is focused on "creating the best" video content rather than "creating the most." It's not yet known if Apple TV+ will launch with any third-party content, which could make it a tough sell versus alternatives like Netflix, HBO, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Interesting. I wonder if they're looking for acquisitions or partnerships? Or hiring? IDK.

It looks like TV+ will not be on Android. I think this is a brilliant idea as it will be mobile exclusive to Apple. People who subscribe from their TV will most likely want an iPhone/iPad due to the halo effect.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jamiemcdjamiemcd Posts: 3member
    Will Apple TV+ follow the HBO model of releasing one episode weekly at a scheduled time or the Netflix model of dropping an entire season at once?  If it is the HBO model, all it takes is one or two high quality shows to keep subscribers for part of the year.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 3 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Interesting. I wonder if they're looking for acquisitions or partnerships? Or hiring? IDK.

It looks like TV+ will not be on Android. I think this is a brilliant idea as it will be mobile exclusive to Apple. People who subscribe from their TV will most likely want an iPhone/iPad due to the halo effect.
    How many people outside the Apple ecosystem will enter it in the first place? A more likely path is iPhone users also access from their TV than the other way around.  It will mostly increase monetisation if current Apple users. Seduction via TV will be marginal. How many people would buy a phone to get exclusive Netflix content (yes, not the Netflix business model , but think about it)?

Here is is an interesting Q. Will Apple ever sell usage rights of Apple produced content to third parties?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 4 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    entropys said:

How many people outside the Apple ecosystem will enter it in the first place? A more likely path is iPhone users also access from their TV than the other way around.  It will mostly increase monetisation if current Apple users. Seduction via TV will be marginal. How many people would buy a phone to get exclusive Netflix content (yes, not the Netflix business model , but think about it)?

Here is is an interesting Q. Will Apple ever sell usage rights of Apple produced content to third parties?

Really depends on how good the shows are. Have you ever seen show junkies? They'll most likely buy an iPhone/iPad to watch episodes on break at work or on the bus etc.

The last question is good but I'll have to assume a big fat NO.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This event is more about what happens behind the scenes in private meetings. In past years it has sometimes taken a few weeks before specifics get reported, but inevitably many of the details of those meetings do get revealed. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    To be honest, I am at my limit of paying for TV as I watch very little to begin with.

Hulu with HBO, PBS Passport ( give $5 or more monthly to any PBS station and you can stream all of it on demand- I do KQED as I do not like the local station's programming choices). I really do not watch enough TV to justify the expense.
    Roger_Fingas