Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Yet Steve Jobs decided to put a non-product guy in charge of the company. How much do we really believe Isaacson‘s story? He can say whatever. Steve isn’t here to refute it. Also Isaacson knows Ive. He knows Ive is not someone who’s going to comment on an a rumor. In fact it’s entirely possible Tim Cook’s e-mail response to Dylan Byers was not sanctioned by Apple PR. The WSJ asked Apple if they wanted to comment on the story and Apple PR said no.
    He’s enough “product guy” to commit to iPad, to stay loyal to Steve Jobs’ Post-PC vision, to create the Watch, the Pencils, iPad Mini and to see and reject toaster-fridges.
    He is also enough "product guy" to almost ruin the entire Mac product line pushing part of the core base over to competing platforms. – Come to think about it, he is a typical Compaq guy. 
    How are Compaq’s sales doing compared to Macs? Oh yeah they don’t exist anymore. So...zero. 

Cook didn’t almost ruin the Mac line, they’ve been doing great, even while then industry slows. If you’re expecting Cook to supervise engineering of the old MP and its thermal corner problem, you’re high. Not that you bought one anyway. My iMac is still going, but I look forward to upgrading to either a 5k or iMP, both are excellent machines. My MBP will be around for a lot longer. 
    You're damn right I did not bye the old "trashcan" MP. A lot of other folks did neither. 

The difference between SJ - a product guy, and TC - not a product guy, is that SJ (or any other product management when he was absent from the company for that sake) would never let a disgrace as the current MP slip over such long period of time. To top off the disgrace, the current MP unchanged since 2013, is still retailing at premium prices while it technically is a trash can these days. 

They also would not have let thermal disasters such as the MBP slip for years, or the keyboards, or gutting ports to the extent the machines becomes dongle and external box hell. 

Being CEO of Apple implies also paying attention to, and correcting such disasters, and not let them slip for years. Of course TC is more busy virtual signaling and playing Hollyweired producer. 
    There is no "dongle" hell, since you can get native USB-C cables for anything you need. 

Why don't you just show us where you can get an ethernet cable terminated in a USB-C plug without a dongle?  
    So you don’t mind to carry a 9 mm thick Ethernet crossover cable of 8 inch diameter when rolled, but you mind adding to that only the Ethernet adapter of 2 inch long? Roll your Ethernet cable over that adapter it will be invisible.
    You still need the ethernet cable...

... and crossover? When was the last time you used ethernet (if ever)? 
    Ha ha, Ethernet is as old as that, I said “crossover” knowingly, the shape is similar. Of course you need to carry your Ethernet cable, no one will unplug their device to give you a cable. But you don’t mind to carry that huge Ethernet cable, what angers you is to attach a 2 inch adapter to that.
    It does not anger me. :-)  
    But it is outright unprofessional to market machines as Pro without the most commonly used ports built into the machine

All my Macs (new and old) have built in ethernet, thank you. A machine without a built in ethernet port will simply not be bought by me or a large range of businesses.
    Sorry the space constraints only allow the addition of multi-purpose ports. They cannot compromise the thermal envelope and the portability of their laptops by adding each single-purpose port to the machine. Remember, a laptop is not cooled down by the fans, the fans only cool down the CPU and GPU, the rest of your laptop needs to cool down itself, and for that, for fast heat dissipation, a thin profile is needed.
    The thermal envelope of the enclosure is a SELF IMPOSED constraint by the idiotic mantra "the next product must be thinner". 
    It is the same constraint that made a complete arse of the keyboard, to use a word even Ive would recognize. 
    edited July 2019 kestral
  • Reply 42 of 58
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    He's not a product guy. He's just a Marxist activist on the wrong side of history.
    ElCapitankestralcornchip
  • Reply 43 of 58
    doctwelvedoctwelve Posts: 56member
    I sometimes worry that the Jobs Distortion Field will outlast his real contributions. It's still impacting people. 
    kestral
  • Reply 44 of 58
    createriocreaterio Posts: 26member
    “All my Macs (new and old) have built in ethernet, thank you. A machine without a built in ethernet port will simply not be bought by me or a large range of businesses.” @ElCapitan, just out of curiosity, how many times per day and at how many different locations do you plug/ unplug the Ethernet cable on your laptop, so to make using a dongle such a hassle? Any performace issues?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    createrio said:
    “All my Macs (new and old) have built in ethernet, thank you. A machine without a built in ethernet port will simply not be bought by me or a large range of businesses.” @ElCapitan, just out of curiosity, how many times per day and at how many different locations do you plug/ unplug the Ethernet cable on your laptop, so to make using a dongle such a hassle? Any performace issues?
    The problem is that many businesses disqualify Apple laptops when they don't have the ports specified to be standard in a machine. 

Not having ethernet as standard is by many companies seen as a security risk, and offering it by an add-on dongle creates immense problems for IT who have to maintain and handle a stock of such dongles that can be lost, misplaced or forgotten by employees. It is both an additional expense in hardware, but equally so for support staff time. The same machines have additional requirements for dongles and small hubs to fit corporate infrastructure such as screens and projectors to mention a couple. 

It is not fun to sit in bid meetings for multi million $ contracts, just to be disqualified by Apple's vanity requirements of "thinness".
  • Reply 46 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I guess some if not all of you sat with jobs for interview so you know that Isaacson is not telling the truth, right?
  • Reply 47 of 58
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Not one bit of this matters.  It just doesn’t.  That Steve said Tim is not a product guy might have added to the Naysayer’s calls for Tim’s head In the years after Steve passed, but in the end what do we see?  We see that Tim led the company just fine regardless. 

That Jony missed Steve and checked out three years ago from the day-to-day product design might be a revelation to some, and common knowledge to others.  But what do we see?  We see that Apple has done just fine in those years.

I was looking at a few companies tonight as I have a big chunk of cash to reinvest.  Cash taken out of a pile of Apple call options that had come close enough to max value and had doubled my money.  So I’m
    looking at a few other businesses and comparing their financials to Apple’s.  I gotta tell ya, Apple as an investment is tough to substitute.  It’s a cash flow generating beast!  It’s not burdened by its debt, it’s churning out bottom line profits, buying down the share count, has a minimal dividend payout ratio, and is nearly cult-like in its customer loyalty.  That was Apple ten years ago, it was Apple five years ago and it’s Apple today, three years after the fading influence of the Steve/Jony duo.  Seems like Apple is in fine shape.  Much ado about nothing.  
    Have you considered ETH, BTC or even Hedera? Crypto (only a limited number of them) I consider one of the few ways available to enter a fairly high risk/ high return investment arena right now. Apple will have to introduce a car/car service or some very different product or service to seriously goose their stock price going forward, IMO.
    Completely not my style of investing.  If it doesn’t have intrinsic value, I don’t own it.  I’ve been slowly, very very slowly, moving bits of money out of Apple and Apple options.  I’m overweighted in the name.  
  • Reply 48 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Yet Steve Jobs decided to put a non-product guy in charge of the company. How much do we really believe Isaacson‘s story? He can say whatever. Steve isn’t here to refute it. Also Isaacson knows Ive. He knows Ive is not someone who’s going to comment on an a rumor. In fact it’s entirely possible Tim Cook’s e-mail response to Dylan Byers was not sanctioned by Apple PR. The WSJ asked Apple if they wanted to comment on the story and Apple PR said no.
    He’s enough “product guy” to commit to iPad, to stay loyal to Steve Jobs’ Post-PC vision, to create the Watch, the Pencils, iPad Mini and to see and reject toaster-fridges.
    He is also enough "product guy" to almost ruin the entire Mac product line pushing part of the core base over to competing platforms. – Come to think about it, he is a typical Compaq guy. 
    How are Compaq’s sales doing compared to Macs? Oh yeah they don’t exist anymore. So...zero. 

Cook didn’t almost ruin the Mac line, they’ve been doing great, even while then industry slows. If you’re expecting Cook to supervise engineering of the old MP and its thermal corner problem, you’re high. Not that you bought one anyway. My iMac is still going, but I look forward to upgrading to either a 5k or iMP, both are excellent machines. My MBP will be around for a lot longer. 
    You're damn right I did not bye the old "trashcan" MP. A lot of other folks did neither. 

The difference between SJ - a product guy, and TC - not a product guy, is that SJ (or any other product management when he was absent from the company for that sake) would never let a disgrace as the current MP slip over such long period of time. To top off the disgrace, the current MP unchanged since 2013, is still retailing at premium prices while it technically is a trash can these days. 

They also would not have let thermal disasters such as the MBP slip for years, or the keyboards, or gutting ports to the extent the machines becomes dongle and external box hell. 

Being CEO of Apple implies also paying attention to, and correcting such disasters, and not let them slip for years. Of course TC is more busy virtual signaling and playing Hollyweired producer. 
    There is no "dongle" hell, since you can get native USB-C cables for anything you need. 

Why don't you just show us where you can get an ethernet cable terminated in a USB-C plug without a dongle?  
    Ethernet started disappearing on MacBooks under Steve Jobs, genius. 
  • Reply 49 of 58
    ElCapitan said:
    createrio said:
    The problem is that many businesses disqualify Apple laptops when they don't have the ports specified to be standard in a machine. 

Not having ethernet as standard is by many companies seen as a security risk, and offering it by an add-on dongle creates immense problems for IT who have to maintain and handle a stock of such dongles that can be lost, misplaced or forgotten by employees. It is both an additional expense in hardware, but equally so for support staff time. The same machines have additional requirements for dongles and small hubs to fit corporate infrastructure such as screens and projectors to mention a couple. 

It is not fun to sit in bid meetings for multi million $ contracts, just to be disqualified by Apple's vanity requirements of "thinness".
    People hold meetings for multimillion dolllar bids and can’t be arsed to provide a $15 adapter for presenters in the conference room? Ridiculous. 
    tobybeagle
  • Reply 50 of 58
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:

So you don’t mind to carry a 9 mm thick Ethernet crossover cable of 8 inch diameter when rolled, but you mind adding to that only the Ethernet adapter of 2 inch long? Roll your Ethernet cable over that adapter it will be invisible.
    You still need the ethernet cable...

... and crossover? When was the last time you used ethernet (if ever)? 
    Ha ha, Ethernet is as old as that, I said “crossover” knowingly, the shape is similar. Of course you need to carry your Ethernet cable, no one will unplug their device to give you a cable. But you don’t mind to carry that huge Ethernet cable, what angers you is to attach a 2 inch adapter to that.
    It does not anger me. :-)  
    But it is outright unprofessional to market machines as Pro without the most commonly used ports built into the machine

All my Macs (new and old) have built in ethernet, thank you. A machine without a built in ethernet port will simply not be bought by me or a large range of businesses.
    Sorry the space constraints only allow the addition of multi-purpose ports. They cannot compromise the thermal envelope and the portability of their laptops by adding each single-purpose port to the machine. Remember, a laptop is not cooled down by the fans, the fans only cool down the CPU and GPU, the rest of your laptop needs to cool down itself, and for that, for fast heat dissipation, a thin profile is needed.
    The thermal envelope of the enclosure is a SELF IMPOSED constraint by the idiotic mantra "the next product must be thinner". 
    It is the same constraint that made a complete arse of the keyboard, to use a word even Ive would recognize. 

The butterfly keyboard gets better at each iteration. And for old models there is a free repair service:
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/05/21/apple-extends-macbook-pro-keyboard-service-program-to-2018-models

No laptop promised desktop-grade comfort in computing history, ever. A laptop is a bunch of compromises. If you want uncompromising desktop computer comfort use a desktop computer. Apple will not release the monster laptop of your dreams with 32 terabytes of desktop RAM, 5 fans, 16 ports, 1080p display and 2.5 inch thick, get over it.

tmay
  • Reply 51 of 58
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    it doesn’t make his biography of steve jobs read any better though. still no different or new from what we all already knew about steve. still a disservice. 
  • Reply 52 of 58
    ABiteaDay said:
    When is enough just enough.  Isaacson has self-annointed himself as Apple sage, who was “being soft” in his book.  No, Isaacson, even with his book, is a writer who is in permanent quest for relevance in his life.  He gets paid to write these stories, but they are useless, non-productive and should be condemned.  Notice how his story conveniently left out the fact that the “product” guy, Tim Cook, has increased Apple’s value as a company and Apple’s stock price exponentially. Apple was pioneered by Steve Jobs, but its value as a company was massively increased since Cook took over as CEO.  Steve Jobs knew what he needed, and, sadly, he stepped down and anointed Cook to accomplish things that he himself was not interested in.  And guess what? It worked.  With all the incessant whining by Apple users, and all the massively inaccurate articles coming out every day about Apple’s future, I think its time for Apple to close up shop, liquidate its assets and allow copycats and substandard companies to take control.  

Imagine a world without Apple, and you can pretty much see what I’m saying. 
    I disagree. Jobs never cared about Apple’s stock price because he knew if he made great products, the money would follow, and it did. Bringing a company back from 30 days before death is no easy feat.  It was the products that saved Apple, not the cost cutting measures. 
    I agree with most of what you said, but not this. The cost-cutting saved Apple - there was no way fresh designs and new products could be brought to market in time to make a difference. The new products (and the company restructure, and the emphasis on operational efficiency) resuscitated the company and then allowed it to thrive.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Ha ha ha ha ha, you people REALLY want to believe...

I would generally take the word of a well-regarded biographer over a dismissive corporate response to the biographer’s totally authorized biography of the now deceased former CEO/co-founder. Jobs wasn’t the only one with a reality distortion field. That’s just typical corporatism.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    ElCapitan said:
    createrio said:

People hold meetings for multimillion dolllar bids and can’t be arsed to provide a $15 adapter for presenters in the conference room? Ridiculous. 
    I'm not sure if you're misreading the comment or deliberately choosing a provocative response. :neutral: 

Wired Ethernet has a number of advantages over wireless: reduced latency, minimal impact in the radio spectrum and higher maximum speed. Wireless Ethernet has pretty much only one advantage, which is convenience. As Steve Jobs famously observed, convenience trumps quality (he was talking about compression of music files at the time, but the principle holds).

When purchasing large quantities of any type of product that will be provided as a managed service to end users (I'm thinking of cars and computers as the most obvious examples), the cost of the product itself is one of many factors under consideration. The cost of product maintenance, the cost of support staff and their training, the cost of compliance with security mandates and government regulations, the cost of infrastructure maintenance and upgrades... these all play a part in the decision-making process. Usually, the greatest benefits overall are realised by keeping the entire system modular - which means that any part of the system can be swapped out for another with minimal friction. Good luck doing that with security requirements and regulations, but infrastructure can be changed (move to a new building or renovate), personnel can be changed and (easiest of all) products can be changed. Reducing flexibility in any of the latter three comes with its own (often hard to determine) costs, and while the trade-off can be worthwhile it's rarely investigated when everything is operating at a nominal level.

So, if you want to sell products to these sorts of businesses (which tend to be large and somewhat price insensitive), you make your products to suit their requirements as much as possible. It reduces their need to overhaul every aspect of their business in order to use your products, which means the perceived risk of your products is negligible.

Apple removing wired Ethernet from their laptops is a VERY BIG DEAL for such businesses. Some of them have security measures that include tracking the MAC address of every device that connects to the network, and blocking any unknown devices (yes, MAC addresses can be spoofed, but that's a level of sophistication that most attackers don't possess - much like locks can be picked but you still have one on your external doors at home). What does using a dongle do to this system? Some businesses have to operate with minimal RF interference (hospitals, some military installations and so on) - dongles might work here, but then the point ElCapitan raised about dongle management remains relevant.

Getting on to the presenters in the conference room: how likely is it that all presenters will be using the same type of laptop? How often will people from outside the company show up and need to present in a given conference room? Are you sure you'll only ever need one type of dongle? Using an AppleTV with a large screen is a superior experience to using a projector... right up until someone without an Apple device wants to use the system. :(

This is why standards exist - they minimise the friction associated with a mixed product environment. Standards need to evolve and change to keep up with technological advancements, but nobody wants to spend extra money and effort to make changes until they absolutely have to. You can't dictate to everyone what is in their best interests, we each get to make up our own minds.

Apple's choices are clearly slanted towards taking advantage of new technologies. They have the clout to get further than most with that approach. But it's perfectly valid to prioritise interoperability instead.
    ElCapitan
  • Reply 55 of 58
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

2 things that stick out for me:

1. Jobs put Cook in charge of Apple, knowing full well that he was not a product guy. It reinforces what someone mentioned here, that Jobs was trying to leave behind a company that could function without a product guy at the top.

2. "Becoming Steve Jobs" was a much, much better read than "Steve Jobs". Isaacson had Jobs' blessing, but still ended up doing such a shoddy job.

• Reply 56 of 58
    Other than the iPhone there was nothing like that in the Jobs 2.0 era.

- iMac
    - iPod
    - Mac Pro

Yep, nothing at all.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    ElCapitan said:
    createrio said:

I'm not sure if you're misreading the comment or deliberately choosing a provocative response. :neutral: 

Wired Ethernet has a number of advantages over wireless: reduced latency, minimal impact in the radio spectrum and higher maximum speed. Wireless Ethernet has pretty much only one advantage, which is convenience. As Steve Jobs famously observed, convenience trumps quality (he was talking about compression of music files at the time, but the principle holds).

When purchasing large quantities of any type of product that will be provided as a managed service to end users (I'm thinking of cars and computers as the most obvious examples), the cost of the product itself is one of many factors under consideration. The cost of product maintenance, the cost of support staff and their training, the cost of compliance with security mandates and government regulations, the cost of infrastructure maintenance and upgrades... these all play a part in the decision-making process. Usually, the greatest benefits overall are realised by keeping the entire system modular - which means that any part of the system can be swapped out for another with minimal friction. Good luck doing that with security requirements and regulations, but infrastructure can be changed (move to a new building or renovate), personnel can be changed and (easiest of all) products can be changed. Reducing flexibility in any of the latter three comes with its own (often hard to determine) costs, and while the trade-off can be worthwhile it's rarely investigated when everything is operating at a nominal level.

So, if you want to sell products to these sorts of businesses (which tend to be large and somewhat price insensitive), you make your products to suit their requirements as much as possible. It reduces their need to overhaul every aspect of their business in order to use your products, which means the perceived risk of your products is negligible.

Apple removing wired Ethernet from their laptops is a VERY BIG DEAL for such businesses. Some of them have security measures that include tracking the MAC address of every device that connects to the network, and blocking any unknown devices (yes, MAC addresses can be spoofed, but that's a level of sophistication that most attackers don't possess - much like locks can be picked but you still have one on your external doors at home). What does using a dongle do to this system? Some businesses have to operate with minimal RF interference (hospitals, some military installations and so on) - dongles might work here, but then the point ElCapitan raised about dongle management remains relevant.

Getting on to the presenters in the conference room: how likely is it that all presenters will be using the same type of laptop? How often will people from outside the company show up and need to present in a given conference room? Are you sure you'll only ever need one type of dongle? Using an AppleTV with a large screen is a superior experience to using a projector... right up until someone without an Apple device wants to use the system. :(

This is why standards exist - they minimise the friction associated with a mixed product environment. Standards need to evolve and change to keep up with technological advancements, but nobody wants to spend extra money and effort to make changes until they absolutely have to. You can't dictate to everyone what is in their best interests, we each get to make up our own minds.

Apple's choices are clearly slanted towards taking advantage of new technologies. They have the clout to get further than most with that approach. But it's perfectly valid to prioritise interoperability instead.
    Teal deer.

Ethernet ports haven’t been on a MacBook for SEVEN YEARS. It’s not coming back. You’re just going to haveg to get over it, sooner or later. 

If if you need Ethernet or HDMI for your job, get an adapter and throw it on your keychain. Throw an adapter on your Ethernet at your desk and leave it there. If you need both ports wired and mobile at all times, you are in the minority but there are docks that sit flush on the side of your laptop that offer you these things. It’s really not an issue for people who prepare for their jobs.