New iPad and 16-inch MacBook Pro to begin mass production soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A new Apple iPad is expected to begin mass production in July, and the anticipated 16-inch MacBook Pro will follow in the fourth quarter, according to reports concerning component manufacturer Ruiyi.

Apple's current 15-inch MacBook Pro

Rumors of a forthcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro have received more confirmation from a report into the finances of component manufacturer Ruiyi. The new notebook is believed to begin being mass produced from the fourth quarter, while a new iPad is to enter production in July.

According to China's Economic Daily News, Ruiyi is the exclusive manufacturer of the backlight used in the screens of both the iPad and MacBook Pro.

Reporting on how Ruiyi's revenue for the first six months of 2019 reached 27.84 billion yuan, Economic Daily News says that this is an increase of some 26.8% since this time last year. And it advised that the company's performance is expected to benefit from these two Apple devices entering mass production.

The "fourth quarter" date for production of the 16-inch MacBook Pro fits with previous reports from IHS Markit and, separately, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that the machine will be released in the fall.

It may be announced alongside the new 2019 iPhones, and is expected to have a screen resolution of 3,072 by 1,920 pixels. It's not expected to have an OLED screen, and the information concerning Ruiyi's backlight isn't sufficient to support or deny that.

Kuo also predicted an addition to the iPad line, specifically two new iPad Pro models and an updated iPad mini.

While Ruiyi is cited as the exclusive manufacturer of backlights for the iPad and new MacBook Pro, the company does produce other items for Apple. According to China Times, Ruiyi also makes the "upper lid module" for the HomePod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    Interesting article.  An additional laptop model can be a welcome addition. Why would Apple update the iPad mini when they just did so earlier this year?  That part of the prediction doesn’t seem plausible. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Can't wait! My 2016 MBP keyboard finally has gotten to the point I need have to take it in for service and accept the downtime. Given 5 out 6 MBPs here have failed keyboards I'm hoping (though not expecting) they've introducing a new gen keyboard... if they don't then I'll just have to wait it out for another 6-12 months (if I had a choice I'd be on a ThinkPad now, but Apple has us iOS/Mac/etc devs reliant on Xcode... seems that the tables have turned over the years... used to be many PC/Win users were forced to use their machines and longly lusted for a Mac... now many Mac users are force to use our machines and longly lust for a PC... which can be found thin, all the ports and 4k OLED displays (e.g. XPS 15)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Sigh. I put off upgrading a late 2013 MBP until 32GB RAM was available, almost bough on the spring refresh but then held off on rumors of a new MBP... and now FOURTH QUARTER??? 

Sigh again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gandrew0gandrew0 Posts: 1member
    A new Apple iPad is expected to begin mass production in July, and the anticipated 16-inch MacBook Pro will follow in the fourth quarter, according to reports concerning component manufacturer Ruiyi.

Apples current 15-inch MacBook Pro

Rumors of a forthcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro have received more confirmation from a report into the finances of component manufacturer Ruiyi. The new notebook is believed to begin being mass produced from the fourth quarter, while a new iPad is to enter production in July.

According to China's Economic Daily News, Ruiyi is the exclusive manufacturer of the backlight used in the screens of both the iPad and MacBook Pro.

Reporting on how Ruiyi's revenue for the first six months of 2019 reached 27.84 billion yuan, Economic Daily News says that this is an increase of some 26.8% since this time last year. And it advised that the company's performance is expected to benefit from these two Apple devices entering mass production.

The "fourth quarter" date for production of the 16-inch MacBook Pro fits with previous reports from IHS Markit and, separately, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that the machine will be released in the fall.

It may be announced alongside the new 2019 iPhones, and is expected to have a screen resolution of 3,072 by 1,920 pixels. It's not expected to have an OLED screen, and the information concerning Ruiyi's backlight isn't sufficient to support or deny that.

Kuo also predicted an addition to the iPad line, specifically two new iPad Pro models and an updated iPad mini.

While Ruiyi is cited as the exclusive manufacturer of backlights for the iPad and new MacBook Pro, the company does produce other items for Apple. According to China Times, Ruiyi also makes the "upper lid module" for the HomePod.
    waiting for it <3
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Let’s see what these new iPad Pros are all about spec wise. 9 to 5 Mac states the iPad starting production in July is a 10.2 inch version although no specifics beyond that. I’m ready to upgrade from my 10.5 iPad Pro but will wait and see if these announcements pan out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    With the least expensive 15" MBP at $2400 in the USA, does anyone else think a 16" is going to be a major budget-buster? 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    hmlongco said:
    Sigh. I put off upgrading a late 2013 MBP until 32GB RAM was available, almost bough on the spring refresh but then held off on rumors of a new MBP... and now FOURTH QUARTER??? 

Sigh again.
    If you are waiting on zero rumors of a new MBP then you will never be able to purchase one.
    rezwits
  • Reply 8 of 14
    aknabi said:
    Given 5 out 6 MBPs here have failed keyboards
    Where the hell did you pull that number from?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    linkman said:
    With the least expensive 15" MBP at $2400 in the USA, does anyone else think a 16" is going to be a major budget-buster? 
    Maybe Apple has found a business model that will allow production of a 16” model for a cost similar to or even lower than current 15” models.

And maybe I’ll grow wings and fly to the moon.

You never know...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    hmlongco said:

Sigh again.
    At least you did not buy a new one. I'm holding for the 16". The 8-core i9 almost had me, glad I waited.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    hoping against hope that it will be a mini-sized ipad pro. what would apple call it? ipad pro mini. ipad mini pro. or just ipad pro inches something like they do with the 11 and 12? whatever — let it be a mini!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    linkman said:
    hmlongco said:

Sigh again.
    If you are waiting on zero rumors of a new MBP then you will never be able to purchase one.
    Welcome to the world of IT purchasing. Where there's always a better model just about to be announced.

I was thinking about the refresh of the current line, and the rumours of the 16 inch, and how they fit. Sounds to me like they're dumping as much inventory with the current case design as possible, and ditching the function-key version of the 13 inch to start ramping up production of a new chassis. But if it was just a 16 inch, then why does it feel like they're really trying to clear the stocks of the 13 inch? I think it means there'll be a 14 inch or similar based on the new design coming. I'd have thought at the same time, based solely on today's announcement, but they could stagger them as they've done in the past, but I don't think it will be long after the alleged Autumn announcement.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    OLED is not needed. Why OLED? Is the MBP for primarily outdoor use under bright sunlight? 4K is more important than OLED.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gandrewgandrew Posts: 1member
    linkman said:
    With the least expensive 15" MBP at $2400 in the USA, does mcdvoice anyone else think a 16" is going to be a major budget-buster? 
    Maybe Apple has found a business model that will allow production of a 16” model for a cost similar to or even lower than current 15” models.

And maybe I’ll grow wings and fly to the moon.

You never know...
    hehe lol :P