Lamenting the loss of the adorable 12-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    BionicJim said:
    The article states that this may have been a person’s first laptop, but for me the 2015 Macbook was my LAST laptop. Ever since my first laptop- the Zeos Contenda sub-notebook pioneer in the early 90s -  I’ve looked for smaller and lighter going to the magnesium Toshiba Portege 2000 among others until this 12” marvel arrived and has been the best for me til now and for the next few years, I hope. 
    Good thoughts! :)

I'm sad.

I remember my first iBook, white, with that beautiful, inviting blue background. And the Dock that got bigger w/ a cursor over. People would come up to me just to look at it!

I then bought the first intel white MacBook for $1,300. (I think I had  $1,100 to my name!)

My 2017 RoseGold MacBook is the quintessential Apple product. Light (I'm thinking 'mobile!' Hello!), Thin, and elegant.

I'm not ashamed to say, I adore it. 

I was hoping Apple would continue the MacBook with edge-to-edge screen, TouchID and a larger trackpad. But honestly, I don't need all that.

This, most likely, will be my last MacOS device.

I guess, when this MacBook falters, I'll go all in on iOS. Sort of.

I already have an iPad mini (which I only use when traveling), a rose gold SE (b/c it has to match the MacBook, and is small, light and mobile, Hello!), an AppleTV and a Series 0 Apple Watch (for everyday wear and running!) Oh, and first gen. AirPods. (BTW: AppleWatch and AirPods are Apple's replacement for the iPod!)

I'm thinking my next big Apple purchase will be a new Apple Watch, so I can leave my iPhone in the car, or better yet at home! :)

Ugh! I'm sad.

Compared to my SE, iPhones are now too big and heavy! Compared to my 2017 RoseGold MacBook, the new Airs and Pros are too heavy!
    edited July 2019 kpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 68
    charlesn said:
    A very sad day for Mac consumer laptops. One of the best Mac laptop designs ever gets killed in favor of the so-called “Air,” which belies all its bs marketing as a lightweight wonder with a weight that’s just 4 ounces less than a MacBook Pro. 
    Well said! :)

kpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 68

mpantone said:
    Just placed my order for the 2019 Air after filling out the paperwork to trade in my 2017 MacBook.

Happy to move on.
    Heavier, me thinks! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 68

jib said:
    I loved my MacBook.  I've owned over over 8 different PowerBook and MacBooks going back to the PowerBook 100.  The MacBook was almost my ideal.  I kept it for 3 years, hoping Apple would add another USB port and a 16 GB ram option.  But they didn't so I somewhat reluctantly moved on to a MacBook Pro 13", which meets my needs, but is not as svelte and light as the MacBook. 
    Good thoughts! Similarly, in 2017, I recycled, (thru Apple), my 2009 MacBookPro to get the 2017 MacBook (rose gold). I felt I needed to get the latest MacOS (Sierra) and the Safari privacy upgrades.

Not being a power user (most people aren't) I decided to pay for the lightest, most elegant of Apple products. 

Best
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    McJobs said:
    Maybe, just maybe this is one of the reasons why Jony Ive has decided to leave the company. The 12-inch MacBook was his baby and vision of a perfect consumer laptop of the future.
    There's not a fucking chance in hell that THIS is why Ive left the company. Maybe, just MAYBE he left because he wanted to be independent and do something different, after 30 years at a single company? Maybe, just MAYBE he holds no ill will towards Apple or its leadership, and is actually extremely optimistic about it's future? But keep trolling.
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 68
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

mpantone said:
    Just placed my order for the 2019 Air after filling out the paperwork to trade in my 2017 MacBook.

Happy to move on.
    I'm not worried about that. I've owned a variety of Apple notebook computers over the past 17 years and *ALL* of them were heavier than the 2017 MacBook. I know what it feels like to carry around a heavier Apple notebook.

While the MacBook 2017 is certainly the lightest of the various Apple notebooks I've owned, the 2019 Air should be similar to the 2013 Air I replaced the MacBook with. Both are considerably heavier than my iPad mini.

The 2019 Air is certainly lighter than the 2002 iBook. One thing I do care a bit about is the larger screen of the 2019 Air. It's a bit bigger than the 12" MacBook's screen. 

In any case, I don't schlepp my Apple notebooks much these days. They mostly reside in an office or at home.

The 2019 Air should have better battery performance and the T2 chip's native digital signal processing will make it useful for video encoding. My fanless 2017 MacBook encodes H.264 about as well as my former 2013 MacBook Air, all by the CPU.

Obviously video encoding isn't the primary use of my low-end notebooks, but it's nice to have some decent performance as a secondary device for video encoding.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 68
    I love My MacBook (2015 and the the 2017) , but there were a few things I was hoping for

- at least a second Port 
    - bigger screen in the same external size (kind of like the Dell XPS) maybe a 13" (not 13.3)
    - better keyboard 
    - faster thunderbolt 
    - real camera :-)
    - touchID or faceID :-) 

I don't understand the presence of the MacBook Air and the low cost MacBook Pro 
    the air should not be there. 
    just the MacPro 13.3 & 15 and the MacBook 12.7-13 (still around  2 pounds)

and a more regular schedule update so I can tell my friend when it is ok to buy... 
    Today's announcement was not really expected with may's new MBP.

edited July 2019
  • Reply 48 of 68
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Loved this little guys. Was able to score my wife a rose gold 12” MacBook 512GB last year on a steak for $1200 brand new. It’s been fantastic for her use case. She shouldn’t need another laptop for a good while. 
    macpluspluskpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    ajcarr said:
    Perhaps they should re-introduce the 11" MacBook Air? I had one (mid-2012), and it was a beautiful little machine, capable of doing 90% of what I wanted, but for my tasks, there wasn't enough screen real estate, so I got rid of it and replaced it with a 13" model of the same vintage. A Retina 11" MacBook Air would be utterly gorgeous.
    My youngest still uses her 11 inch MBA. I will offer her this new MBA when the discounts start and keep the MBA as a low power Photos/ iTunes server with a big thunderbolt 2 Sata Drive I have lying around. Also a very portable laptop for emergencies.
    now, should I buy myself an iMac CTO with the cheaper SSD upgrades, or wait till October and see what turns up? (Pleased I didn’t buy that standard 2TB fusion drive iMac on sale last weekend).
    edited July 2019 GeorgeBMackpom
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Eric_WVGG said:
    neilm said:

#237  12" MacBook. Well, outside of a store I've never seen a 12" MB in the wild. Not one. Not Ever.

So "adorable"? Apparently not by many.
    Sorry man, I see them all over NYC. Huge with sales, marketing, executives. 

I've been thinking about getting one for my significant other, who suffers from ME/CFS and finds her 13" Pro a bit too much to haul around. Just wondering what the best way to work out a trade with someone might be, or if she should just be on an iPad Pro.
    B&H and Amazon have good deals on them. Those deals will be around for a few months until all supply is gone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 68
    mpantone said:

mpantone said:

Happy to move on.
    I'm not worried about that. I've owned a variety of Apple notebook computers over the past 17 years and *ALL* of them were heavier than the 2017 MacBook. I know what it feels like to carry around a heavier Apple notebook.

While the MacBook 2017 is certainly the lightest of the various Apple notebooks I've owned, the 2019 Air should be similar to the 2013 Air I replaced the MacBook with. Both are considerably heavier than my iPad mini.

The 2019 Air is certainly lighter than the 2002 iBook. One thing I do care a bit about is the larger screen of the 2019 Air. It's a bit bigger than the 12" MacBook's screen. 

In any case, I don't schlepp my Apple notebooks much these days. They mostly reside in an office or at home.

The 2019 Air should have better battery performance and the T2 chip's native digital signal processing will make it useful for video encoding. My fanless 2017 MacBook encodes H.264 about as well as my former 2013 MacBook Air, all by the CPU.

Obviously video encoding isn't the primary use of my low-end notebooks, but it's nice to have some decent performance as a secondary device for video encoding.
    All good points!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 68

I love My MacBook (2015 and the the 2017) , but there were a few things I was hoping for

- at least a second Port 
    - bigger screen in the same external size (kind of like the Dell XPS) maybe a 13" (not 13.3)
    - better keyboard 
    - faster thunderbolt 
    - real camera :-)
    - touchID or faceID :-) 

I don't understand the presence of the MacBook Air and the low cost MacBook Pro 
    the air should not be there. 
    just the MacPro 13.3 & 15 and the MacBook 12.7-13 (still around  2 pounds)

and a more regular schedule update so I can tell my friend when it is ok to buy... 
    Today's announcement was not really expected with may's new MBP.

I hear you...The Air seems dated from the get go. Tapered form factor, the name, larger and heavy. Reminiscent of the original orange and blue plastic clam shells. (Ummm. That might be a bit harsh...orange and blue...)

I really thought, the MacBook was the device where Ive pushing the envelope (what I love most about Apple!). The thinness and elegance...with iCloud back up, I rarely use the one port for other than charging. I thought the next iteration would have edge to edge display, Touch ID, the larger trackpad, etc.

I really think Jonny wants the iPhones to be two pieces of black gorilla glass, with no ports, same with the iPads, MacBooks, iMac

I'm really sad!
    kpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Sad to see the thing go too (adorable indeed), but I have to ask, in what universe is the light copper colour of "rose gold" even remotely near pink? There's nothing wrong with being colour blind, of course, but I used to see that comment a lot, and it's drivel. On a par with calling royal blue "lavender" or "lilac". I have a genuinely pink shirt, and some other doodads of that coloury ilk, and they are vastly different from rose gold. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 68
    hobnoblehobnoble Posts: 10member
    I bought one for my mom when they first came out. So light and easy to carry. She can just drop it in her purse or bag and not have to worry about carrying anything extra. It is absolutely perfect for the occasional user. I wasn't really a product for true computer users, and Apple missed the target with their marketing and distribution. I always thought it should have been distributed like the iPad and iPhone and made available through mass retailers..
    kpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 68
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Apple Board Logic: Now that the Air that was more Air than the Air is gone, now let the least Airy of the crop be the Air.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    wood1208 said:
    I am still baffled why less than 14" screen laptops still exist. It is hard to do much work on smaller screen. I am glad Apple got rid of 12" MB and 4" SE iphone. 
    What a very strange comment. If you don’t like the smaller devices, no one is forcing you to buy them! However there are many many other users who highly value the lightness, portability, ease-of-use, and host of other benefits that a small package provides. Some of us would never dream of buying an iPhone XS Max or a 15-16” MacBook Pro, but can still appreciate that some other users might. It’s bizarre tribalism to say “*I* don’t like this therefore it needs to go.”
    kpomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 68
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Apple has just simplified its notebook range, and while the machines and the new price cuts are very welcome, there were two casualties. One was beloved, a machine that brought in new Mac users, a machine that was just adorable.

And the other was the non-Retina MacBook Air.

Considering that this version of the MacBook Air was so very startlingly impressive when Steve Jobs pulled it out of a manilla intra-office envelope in 2010, its demise will oddly not be missed. Its demise will barely be noticed.

That's because the old non-Retina Air started to go off as soon as it was announced and the odd, token spec bump did little. It was the machine you grudgingly recommended as the best price/performance mix for someone who needed a portable Mac, but when they bought it, you used to nod politely.

No,  would totally disagree with that dis'ing of non-retina MacBook Air.
    I use an 11" 2014 MacBook Air and love it.   Yes, the screen is "too small" but that's more than made up for by its ultra portability.  Plus, while the non-retina screen is not as good as the retina version, it is still perfectly adequate.  And, it has the old great non-butterfly keyboard that I can actually type on AND I can upgrade its 128Gb SSD anytime I want -- AND it has real processor instead of the  crappy "M Series" in the 2018.  

Actually, I tell people to avoid the 2018 MacBook Airs and look for the "old" 2017 models that I think work better for the user.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    I am so glad this machine is dead. Burn it to the ground.

I am sure others love it judging from the comments before, so I am sorry you've lost something you liked.

However these machines were terrible, slow and annoyingly difficult to support. I'm ecstatic they have canned these. Long live the MacBook Air

I'm not adverse to a 12 inch or smaller Air. But anything with one port should be grinded up into dust 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 59 of 68
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    It was under powered, keyboard sucks, requires a dongle for everything. But it was so thin and light and it actually fits in my Travelon passport bag when I travel and I don't need to reach my carry-on to put it away.

Love my macbook - work offshore so light and small yet powerful enough is what i need and want. 

One dongle - has 2x usb-a, hdmi, ethernet, sd card and usb-c power pass thru for when i occasionally need it.

Learnt to code Swift and wrote an app for my Directional Drilling work on it (obviously if i was a full time developer i wouldn't be using a macbook... but then I wouldn't use a laptop at all Big screen iMac or so would be lovely).

Was hoping they'd keep the body size but later update to include faceid and almost borderless screen to squeeze pretty close to 13” screen in it...

ps I!ll disclose at one point I used a Sony laptop that was so small the screen was essentially half the normal height - many years ago, Japanese special. ..
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 68
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    It was under powered, keyboard sucks, requires a dongle for everything. But it was so thin and light and it actually fits in my Travelon passport bag when I travel and I don't need to reach my carry-on to put it away.
    Did not require a dongle for anything. First because adapters historically weren’t called dongles until it came out, and second because you can get native USB-C cables for any devices you need them for. You’re crying about a problem solved years ago, dur.  
    Go into any room where you have to give a presentation and your argument is blown to nano-particles... of course there's the weasel argument that a USB-C->HDMI cable is not a dongle (and plus, what if you need to plug in while delivering due to finalizing the presentation on the way, draining battery).

Absolute statements like this just show a lack of critical thinking
    AI_lias