Apple's latest EEC filing reveals five new iPad models are on the way

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2019
More iPads may be on the way in the coming months, after a collection of filings at the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) indicate there are five new model numbers associated with upcoming Apple tablets.

The new filings with the EEC found by AppleInsider indicate there are five model numbers registered to Apple as devices running iPadOS 13, indicating they will be iPads rather than iPhones. The listings show the filings for the models were made public for the first time on Wednesday.

The five model numbers are: A2197, A2228, A2068, A2198, and A2230.

The group is split into two separate filings, with A2197 and A2228 under one listing with the other three under a second. This may indicate there are two different varieties of iPads being updated, possibly split between iPad and iPad Pro product families, or even different sizes, but the listings do not indicate enough information to advise of what to expect.

The filings with the EEC are legally required for devices to be sold with encryption-related elements in Russia and other countries, including Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. While they do not provide specific details about devices, they do serve as an indicator of incoming changes to Apple's product lineup in the coming months.

As Apple is currently beta-testing iPadOS 13, the inclusion of the operating system in the filings reveals the models won't ship until iPadOS exists beta. Current expectations is for it to ship at around the same time as iOS 13, which is believed will arrive in or after September alongside the annual iPhone refresh.

A report from China on Tuesday claims mass production of a new iPad model will commence in July, which seems to be appropriate for a fall launch.

In February, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast there would be two new iPad Pro models with upgraded processors. Kuo also predicted the launch of the third-generation iPad Air and a new iPad mini, both of which launched earlier this year, and narrows the field of what Apple could update in the second half of 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    I'm surprised Apple doesn't delay product entry into those countries due to these pre-announcements.
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 16
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Could this be all the existing models with the new OS? After all is the new iPadOS instead of iOS13...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gutengel said:
    Could this be all the existing models with the new OS? After all is the new iPadOS instead of iOS13...
    No.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I would love to see Apple make a desktop device running iOS that has a large tilting display And connectivity like the Surface Pro.

For a lot of people, that could be a better option at home than a laptop or an iMac. I would gladly buy one and doubt I would be the only one.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    davgreg said:
    I would love to see Apple make a desktop device running iOS that has a large tilting display And connectivity like the Surface Pro.

For a lot of people, that could be a better option at home than a laptop or an iMac. I would gladly buy one and doubt I would be the only one.
    I would like to have an app for macOS that is an emulator of my iOS devices. Launch "iPhone" on my iMac, then interface with my iPhone from my mac. 
    gutengelAppleExposeddoozydozentoysandmecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I'm waiting for a smaller iPad with the Pro design. Would be cheaper and more handheld. Something you could gift to kids.
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    eightzero said:
    davgreg said:

I would like to have an app for macOS that is an emulator of my iOS devices. Launch "iPhone" on my iMac, then interface with my iPhone from my mac. 
    Install XCode
    doozydozenFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm waiting for a smaller iPad with the Pro design. Would be cheaper and more handheld. Something you could gift to kids.
    The Pros cost quite a bit more than the normal models.

I doubt that most people will be buying the Pros to gift to any kids.

And look at the newest Mini compared to the 9.7 iPad. Smaller doesn’t mean cheaper and a iPad Mini Pro will not be cheap, if such a thing is ever released.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Please do not use the word cheap or cheaper, it denotes just that, cheap, inferior, poor quality. Apple does not make cheap products. They make products at various price points. Some might call some models expensive, other models inexpensive or more affordable  but please not cheap.
    lolliverlbarry74toysandmeMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    I wonder if these will have the bend option. Thankfully, mine is still straight.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    apple ][ said:
    The Pros cost quite a bit more than the normal models.

I doubt that most people will be buying the Pros to gift to any kids.

And look at the newest Mini compared to the 9.7 iPad. Smaller doesn’t mean cheaper and a iPad Mini Pro will not be cheap, if such a thing is ever released.

I didn't mean a small "Pro" model but awaiting an updated design to a smaller model.

There's no doubt all iPads at some point will adopt this design.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    bigtds said:
    I wonder if these will have the bend option. Thankfully, mine is still straight.
    No, that pearl clutching clickbait story has fallen off radar. 
    lolliverAppleExposedWgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    bigtds said:
    No, that pearl clutching clickbait story has fallen off radar. 
    Not really. Some are still experiencing the problem. Not sure how it's happening in each case but it's still happening. I put mine in a sturdy case to prevent any flexing. I suppose it could be happening to those that have no protection at all.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    This is good news. Just in time when I’m looking for a new iPad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    bigtds said:
    The only thing to prevent iPad from any kind of bending is making it weightier (6s was clearly weightier than 6). I had iPhone 6 since launched and my wife is still using it nowadays with zero bending issue so I’m sure it’ll be a non issue for me on iPad as well. For mobile computing I’ll choose lighter weight at any end of the day. 
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    matrix077 said:
    bigtds said:
    The only thing to prevent iPad from any kind of bending is making it weightier (6s was clearly weightier than 6). I had iPhone 6 since launched and my wife is still using it nowadays with zero bending issue so I’m sure it’ll be a non issue for me on iPad as well. For mobile computing I’ll choose lighter weight at any end of the day. 

The problem is people will bend them on purpose and then run to the media.

I believe 6s and beyond use stronger materials.

Fun fact: Apple products aren't more bendable than competitors. Difference is no one gives a sh** about Apples competitors.
    watto_cobra