Intel takes wireless patents off sale, enters exclusive talks with potential buyer

Posted:
in iPhone
Having only put them on sale in June, Intel has allegedly withdrawn 8,500 wireless patents from offer while it enters exclusive talks with a possible buyer.

Intel sign

Other interested parties were notified late Tuesday by James Kovacs, Intel's director for licensing trademarks and standards, according to IAM. The exclusivity period is temporary, and the unnamed buyer would only be snapping up a "substantial portion" of the patent portfolio.

That portfolio is specifically said to be broken into about 8,000 cellular patents and 500 for connected devices.

Apple could theoretically be the described bidder. June rumors claimed that Apple was looking to buy a part of Intel's mobile modem business, specifically core German operations.

Intel announced it was exiting the 5G modem business almost immediately after Apple and Qualcomm settled a long-running legal battle. As part of the settlement, Qualcomm will be supplying modems to Apple, and is expected to start with the 2020 iPhone models.

Apple is believed to be working on its own 5G modem that could launch as soon as 2022. Intel patents may be useful not just in development but in protecting against lawsuits, whether from rivals or non-practicing patent holders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Could be Apple or could be Qualcomm....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Or Alphabet.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    ...or chinese firms? Hope it is Apple!
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Huawei
  • Reply 5 of 10
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I too am betting it's a Chinese company. 

Just another stupid scummy US firm giving away the store, folks! Nothing to see here, move along...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    I too am betting it's a Chinese company. 

Just another stupid scummy US firm giving away the store, folks! Nothing to see here, move along...
    Not a chance.

Remember Broadcom and how and why it was blocked from purchase of Qualcomm. The U.S. was afraid that the buyer would stop investing in R&D, and Qualcomm would lose its preeminent status in the industry. ie, the U.S. would lose a key industry. More to the point, the U.S. would readily approve Apple or another U.S. based tech company.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Fingers crossed it's Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I’m not sure whom this would be but I’m not sure Apple needs the patents.   The patents would be nice but the real value I see here is in the engineers at the German division.  At this point I suspect that Intel’s failures come more from poor management than demanding technical hurdles. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Do we have a list of the companies who were notified that someone else was in exclusive talks? That would be a way to try and divine the current suitor.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 527member
    Do we have a list of the companies who were notified that someone else was in exclusive talks? That would be a way to try and divine the current suitor.
    Good idea. I’d really hope it’s Apple. I don’t think it could be Qualcomm due to anti-competitive regulations.