2020 iPhone to reduce TrueDepth notch, full-screen display rumored for 2021

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is expected to significantly decrease the size of iPhone's TrueDepth "notch" in 2020, modifying or potentially removing the divisive design feature with the help of a smaller camera, according to noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone XR

The TF Securities analyst aired the prediction in a recent note to investors, as reported by MyDrivers on Wednesday.

Ming-Chi Kuo expects Apple to use a smaller front-facing camera lens in its next-generation iPhone, a move that could reduce the size of the TrueDepth camera array and corresponding notch, thereby increasing usable screen real estate.

The analyst goes on to say that the design of the handset will likely change. Whether the redesign is in some way related to the removal of iPhone's notch is unclear. The report is short on detail and does not specifically state that Kuo's note predicts a switch away from the design heralded by iPhone X and carried on with iPhone XS and XR.

Considering the current state of technology, and recent rumors, a decrease in notch size is more likely than its outright removal. The company is working on a number of solutions to the notch issue, including camera and optics technology capable of operating under -- more accurately through -- a smartphone's screen.

In addition to the TrueDepth predictions, Kuo says the 2020 iPhone's rear-facing camera will boast a seven-piece lens system.

Kuo's predictions are more conservative than those of a Credit Suisse analyst referenced in the report. According to the Business Times, Credit Suisse channel checks presented at the MWC Shanghai exhibition this week show Apple's screen suppliers are developing full-screen displays without cutouts, activity the research firm believes will lead to a notch-less iPhone as soon as next year.

By 2021, Apple will ultimately move to an optics-based full-screen fingerprint recognition technology similar to products employed by high-end Android handset makers, Credit Suisse said. The next iPhone might feature both a next-generation, full-screen Touch ID solution alongside an under-screen TrueDepth camera.

Most recently, a report in early July claimed Apple plans to introduce a China-exclusive iPhone variant that drops Face ID in favor of an under-screen Touch ID module. By removing TrueDepth, Apple will be able to market the handset at a relatively low price point, attracting a wider swath of the Chinese market, the report said.
waverboyapplesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    That’s the (hopefully ultimately true) news I’ve been waiting to hear!  My nearly four-year-old 128GB iPhone 6S Plus is running better than ever before on iOS 12.3, better than when it was brand-new even, so I’ll easily be able to skip the 2019 models and hold out for a hopefully notchless 2020 model, or maybe even a notchless-with-fullscreen-TouchID 2021 model.  So glad I’ll have completely skipped the silly notch and FaceID nonsense.  Maybe by then I’ll even be able to get black AirPods and my life will be complete at last.  :smile: 
    applesnorangeslogic2.6macplusplusberndogargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    The notch isn’t silly or nonsense.  It’s no more bothersome in real usage than a rear-view mirror is on a windscreen. Yeah it takes up some space, but it really doesn’t matter. 

Of course they will work to shrink and eliminate it tho. 
    edited July 2019 tmaymobirdking editor the gratedoozydozenlollivercaladanianirelandflyingdpwilliamlondonbluefire1
  • Reply 3 of 61
    The notch isn’t silly or nonsense.  It’s no more bothersome in real usage than a rear-view mirror is on a windscreen. Yeah it takes up some space, but it really doesn’t matter. 

It’s both to me, and along with FaceID is the major reason I haven’t upgraded yet (that and my current phone still works so great, that fabulous extra gig of RAM really set it apart from the 6).  I figured they’d get rid of both eventually, and it looks like I might be right.

I really am going to miss my tactile pressable Home Button and handy-for-auxiliary-speaker-purposes headphone jack though.  I really hope they keep 3D Touch too.
    edited July 2019 microbechemengin1argonaut
  • Reply 4 of 61
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    waverboy said:

It’s both to me, and along with FaceID is the major reason I haven’t upgraded yet (that and my current phone still works so great, that fabulous extra gig of RAM really set it apart from the 6).  I figured they’d get rid of both eventually, and it looks like I might be right.
    You have never used Face ID or the OLED screen with notch. So your post is basically silly nonsense. You like what you like, but to judge a product like you have is just ridiculous.

Honestly your post sounds like your are justifying not upgrading your phone by trashing the newer models. 

My Xs Max is gorgeous and runs smooth and crisp with Face ID. It took me about a day to truly get used to using it and not the thumb to access the phone. I watch videos on YouTube daily and the notch isn’t and issue at all. I honestly thought it would be when I first saw it on the X, and then using it when I bought the    the Xs Max. 
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenlolliverroundaboutnowJFC_PAcaladanianirelandravnorodombluefire1
  • Reply 5 of 61
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    waverboy said:
    That’s the (hopefully ultimately true) news I’ve been waiting to hear!  My nearly four-year-old 128GB iPhone 6S Plus is running better than ever before on iOS 12.3, better than when it was brand-new even, so I’ll easily be able to skip the 2019 models and hold out for a hopefully notchless 2020 model, or maybe even a notchless-with-fullscreen-TouchID 2021 model.  So glad I’ll have completely skipped the silly notch and FaceID nonsense.  Maybe by then I’ll even be able to get black AirPods and my life will be complete at last.  :smile: 
    If you can’t wait, go for an 8 plus.  I’ve been using it for month and it’s an awesome phone. 
    macplusplustmay1983argonaut
  • Reply 6 of 61
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    waverboy said:
    You may want to re-read the article; it doesn't say anything about notchless, it says "reduce the notch," and there is exactly zero chance of Apple moving back to the less-secure TouchID, so ... nope.

As the owner of a XR, I can assure you that the notch is ... nothing. It isn't seen at all in most programs and watching videos, etc, and is extremely unintrusive the rest of the time. Indeed, your post reminded me that my phone has one! If I have to sacrifice one percent of the screen in order to have super-secure FaceID, the world's best (by far) portrait/selfie camera, and animoji, I find that a trivial price to pay. Obviously if Apple can reduce the notch, then great -- but it has been a total non-issue for me and other X-class owners.
    edited July 2019 tmaymobirdStrangeDaysdoozydozenlolliverroundaboutnowbonobobJFC_PA
  • Reply 7 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:
    You may want to re-read the article; it doesn't say anything about notchless, it says "reduce the notch," and there is exactly zero chance of Apple moving back to the less-secure TouchID, so ... nope.

As the owner of a XR, I can assure you that the notch is ... nothing. It isn't seen at all in most programs and watching videos, etc, and is extremely unintrusive the rest of the time. Indeed, your post reminded me that my phone has one! If I have to sacrifice one percent of the screen in order to have super-secure FaceID, the world's best (by far) portrait/selfie camera, and animoji, I find that a trivial price to pay. Obviously if Apple can reduce the notch, then great -- but it has been a total non-issue for me and other X-class owners.
    1) The statistical methods for biometrics are less strict than a character-based passcode, but there is an analogy to be made. For example, Apple stats that their Face ID has a probability of 1:1,000,000 (compared to Touch ID with a probability of 1:50,000. However, since fingerprints don't follow the same genetic pattern as faces there would be a higher probability that your identical twin brothers face would activate over your identical twin brother's finger print. This is why Apple makes notes of this, as well as close relatives and children whose facial features may not have fully developed. This is not the case with fingerprints despite there also being an inheritable quality to your FRS.

2) I see no technical reason why Apple couldn't make Touch ID even faster and more secure to meet or beat the random, societal aspect of their probability metric, but I do see this being more of a challenge when you imbed the fingerprint in (or behind) the display with the current Touch ID tech. That said, I think I a bigger concern would be removing pixels to place various sensors at the expense of the display, as noted by one of their patents.

3) What I don't get about people like waverboy is their persistent ability to ignore that they're gaining considerably more display, not removing it in favor of the notch. Based on comments this is what they see...

edited July 2019 StrangeDayslolliverkevin keebonobobberndogargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 61
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Notch, what notch.
    StrangeDaysJFC_PA
  • Reply 9 of 61
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

Ahem... Face ID is not super-secure, kids and siblings can fool it. And that, according to Apple’s own document.
    waverboyseafoxwilliamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 61
    That's what Apple does! And everyone else follows with a 'good enough' second rate copy. Oh, well. :)
    edited July 2019 microbelolliver
  • Reply 11 of 61
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

Ahem... Face ID is not super-secure, kids and siblings can fool it. And that, according to Apple’s own document.
    So, you’re saying that 1 in 1,000,000 is not super-secure? Because that’s what Apple’s own document says. And Apple’s document doesn’t say kids and siblings can fool it, it says:

“The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.”

Notice the part about “with a single enrolled appearance”, that’s important considering Face ID is constantly updating it’s record of your face with every successful unlock.
    StrangeDayslolliverroundaboutnowfastasleepwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 61
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Good, I will not buy an iPhone with that tacky notch.
    williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 61
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

You might want to re-read the article yourself; it predicts the notch will be completely gone by 2021, along with FaceTime.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 61
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    notch? What “notch?  Lol. 

Never see it, too busy actually seeing the screen I guess. 

Otherwise, always new things to look forward to. Fun stuff. 
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 15 of 61
    jcs2305 said:
    waverboy said:

You have never used Face ID or the OLED screen with notch. So your post is basically silly nonsense. You like what you like, but to judge a product like you have is just ridiculous.

Honestly your post sounds like your are justifying not upgrading your phone by trashing the newer models. 

My Xs Max is gorgeous and runs smooth and crisp with Face ID. It took me about a day to truly get used to using it and not the thumb to access the phone. I watch videos on YouTube daily and the notch isn’t and issue at all. I honestly thought it would be when I first saw it on the X, and then using it when I bought the    the Xs Max. 
    Nope, I just don’t like the look of the notch, it’s aesthetically displeasing, period.  I don’t see that changing if I used the phone.  If the notch and FaceTime went bye-bye this year I’d consider upgrading even though my current phone still works like a charm.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    We will hear many more news like that. Apple has to move against Chinese competition, in both directions, high end and mid-range. Otherwise it may paint itself to the high-end corner of the room, to become more and more niche within time. The Chinese may have noticed an opportunity in that mid-range segment of the market, where people abstain from updating their iPhones, they target people just like post #1. Just make a phone a bit better than those past iPhone models, support it with an aggressive pricing strategy and you may create a dent in Apple’s user base in that segment. Those guys are not idiot, they know how to talk to the public. They say for example “Apple is our role model”. They never compete with Apple directly like Samsung... OK enters trade-in. Trade-in is not enough to encourage people to update their iPhones. “Why would I trade in my perfectly working iPhone? I would buy an iPad instead”. For the price of a high-end iPhone those people may get an iPad and keep their perfectly working iPhone a couple of years more... Then enter the Chinese: “there, our phones are better than your old iPhone and we have substantially cheaper models.” Final configuration: a decent iPad accompanied by a Chinese knockoff phone just for wifi tethering, calling, messaging, whatsApp and taking photos, occasionally videos... Where is Face ID in all that scenario?
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 17 of 61
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

So, you’re saying that 1 in 1,000,000 is not super-secure? Because that’s what Apple’s own document says. And Apple’s document doesn’t say kids and siblings can fool it, it says:

“The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

Notice the part about “with a single enrolled appearance”, that’s important considering Face ID is constantly updating it’s record of your face with every successful unlock.
    Yes that was that excerpt I meant. Apple clearly recommends using password if the presence of kids, twins and siblings is an issue. Apple cannot be more honest and clear than that: “we said use the passcode !...
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 18 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

“The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

Yes that was that excerpt I meant. Apple clearly recommends using password if the presence of kids, twins and siblings is an issue. Apple cannot be more honest and clear than that: “we said use the passcode !…
    It should be noted that you can't use a biometric to authenticate your passcode, but must first use a passcode to authenticate your biometrics. I don't see a time when biometrics will be so advanced that requiring a memorized, character-based code will be obsolete.
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 19 of 61
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

Yes that was that excerpt I meant. Apple clearly recommends using password if the presence of kids, twins and siblings is an issue. Apple cannot be more honest and clear than that: “we said use the passcode !...

You're reading it wrong. “The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you” and then separately, “and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed”.

Meaning, if an adult is using Face ID who has a similar looking sibling or twin, it’s not 1 in 1,000,000, but some other (lower) value. Then! separately, if a child is enrolled, other children might be able to unlock that child’s phone with Face ID.

Not that your child can unlock your phone.
    lolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 61
    rwes said:
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

You're reading it wrong. “The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you” and then separately, “and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed”.

Meaning, if an adult is using Face ID who has a similar looking sibling or twin, it’s not 1 in 1,000,000, but some other (lower) value. Then! separately, if a child is enrolled, other children might be able to unlock that child’s phone with Face ID.

Not that your child can unlock your phone.
    OK, the point? How that some other (lower) value compares to 1/1.000.000 or to 1/50.000? Instead of stating that, “we said use the passcode !...

Meanwhile I see that you just wrote to make it clearer and I don’t object to that.
    edited July 2019