2020 iPhone to reduce TrueDepth notch, full-screen display rumored for 2021

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    waverboy said:
    That’s the (hopefully ultimately true) news I’ve been waiting to hear!  My nearly four-year-old 128GB iPhone 6S Plus is running better than ever before on iOS 12.3, better than when it was brand-new even, so I’ll easily be able to skip the 2019 models and hold out for a hopefully notchless 2020 model, or maybe even a notchless-with-fullscreen-TouchID 2021 model.  So glad I’ll have completely skipped the silly notch and FaceID nonsense.  Maybe by then I’ll even be able to get black AirPods and my life will be complete at last.  :smile: 
    The only time I notice the notch is when people whine about it.  

And as far as FaceID, if you're waiting for that to go away, you should start stocking up on iPhone 6 batteries.  Going to be a long wait.
    StrangeDayslolliverJohan.GJFC_PAfastasleepbluefire1
  • Reply 22 of 61
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

waverboy said:
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:
    That’s the (hopefully ultimately true) news I’ve been waiting to hear!  My nearly four-year-old 128GB iPhone 6S Plus is running better than ever before on iOS 12.3, better than when it was brand-new even, so I’ll easily be able to skip the 2019 models and hold out for a hopefully notchless 2020 model, or maybe even a notchless-with-fullscreen-TouchID 2021 model.  So glad I’ll have completely skipped the silly notch and FaceID nonsense.  Maybe by then I’ll even be able to get black AirPods and my life will be complete at last.  :smile: 
    You may want to re-read the article; it doesn't say anything about notchless, it says "reduce the notch," and there is exactly zero chance of Apple moving back to the less-secure TouchID, so ... nope.

As the owner of a XR, I can assure you that the notch is ... nothing. It isn't seen at all in most programs and watching videos, etc, and is extremely unintrusive the rest of the time. Indeed, your post reminded me that my phone has one! If I have to sacrifice one percent of the screen in order to have super-secure FaceID, the world's best (by far) portrait/selfie camera, and animoji, I find that a trivial price to pay. Obviously if Apple can reduce the notch, then great -- but it has been a total non-issue for me and other X-class owners.
    You might want to re-read the article yourself; it predicts the notch will be completely gone by 2021, along with FaceTime.

No, it doesn't say anywhere in the article that FaceTime will go away by 2021.  You should try giving it another read yourself skippy. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    waverboy said:
    The notch isn’t silly or nonsense.  It’s no more bothersome in real usage than a rear-view mirror is on a windscreen. Yeah it takes up some space, but it really doesn’t matter. 

Of course they will work to shrink and eliminate it tho. 
    It’s both to me, and along with FaceID is the major reason I haven’t upgraded yet (that and my current phone still works so great, that fabulous extra gig of RAM really set it apart from the 6).  I figured they’d get rid of both eventually, and it looks like I might be right.
    Of course they will eliminate it eventually, that isn’t an outlandish guess. But I cannot fathom claiming I wouldn’t get a tool because of an inconsequential detail of its implementation. 
    edited July 2019 lolliverJFC_PA
  • Reply 24 of 61
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    flydog said:

waverboy said:
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:
    You may want to re-read the article; it doesn't say anything about notchless, it says "reduce the notch," and there is exactly zero chance of Apple moving back to the less-secure TouchID, so ... nope.

As the owner of a XR, I can assure you that the notch is ... nothing. It isn't seen at all in most programs and watching videos, etc, and is extremely unintrusive the rest of the time. Indeed, your post reminded me that my phone has one! If I have to sacrifice one percent of the screen in order to have super-secure FaceID, the world's best (by far) portrait/selfie camera, and animoji, I find that a trivial price to pay. Obviously if Apple can reduce the notch, then great -- but it has been a total non-issue for me and other X-class owners.
    You might want to re-read the article yourself; it predicts the notch will be completely gone by 2021, along with FaceTime.

No, it doesn't say anywhere in the article that FaceTime will go away by 2021.  You should try giving it another read yourself skippy. 
    Assuming they actually meant [b]FaceID[/b] it didn't say that, either.

They are predicting an iPhone with a TrueDepth Sensor and a Fingerprint reader both concealed behind the display, rather than being in a notch or a bezel.

They also mentioned a hypothetical "cheap" handset that doesn't have a TrueDepth sensor, to lower costs for the Chinese market. This is separate to the discussed 2020 and 2021 flagship models.

So, from these rumours, neither FaceID or TouchID are going away any time soon, and there may well be phones that use both, which I personally think is a good idea as it there are usability considerations for each of them, and giving users a choice of which one works better for them - or even if they want to use both for added security - is a good thing.
  • Reply 25 of 61

tyler82 said:
    Good, I will not buy an iPhone with that tacky notch.
    Says the guy who’s never used one. 
    lolliverJFC_PAfastasleepwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 61
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    flydog said:

waverboy said:
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

It says in the last paragraph but relating it only to the Chinese market:

”Most recently, a report in early July claimed Apple plans to introduce China-exclusive iPhone variant that drops Face ID in favor of an under-screen Touch ID module. By removing TrueDepth, Apple will be able to market the handset at a relatively low price point, attracting a wider swath of the Chinese market, the report said.”

There is no way such a feature variant be restricted to only Chinese markets IMHO, because Chinese competition is global not restricted to China. I think Kuo didn’t dare to go that far..
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 27 of 61

waverboy said:
    jcs2305 said:
    waverboy said:
    The notch isn’t silly or nonsense.  It’s no more bothersome in real usage than a rear-view mirror is on a windscreen. Yeah it takes up some space, but it really doesn’t matter. 

Of course they will work to shrink and eliminate it tho. 
    It’s both to me, and along with FaceID is the major reason I haven’t upgraded yet (that and my current phone still works so great, that fabulous extra gig of RAM really set it apart from the 6).  I figured they’d get rid of both eventually, and it looks like I might be right.
    You have never used Face ID or the OLED screen with notch. So your post is basically silly nonsense. You like what you like, but to judge a product like you have is just ridiculous.

Honestly your post sounds like your are justifying not upgrading your phone by trashing the newer models. 

My Xs Max is gorgeous and runs smooth and crisp with Face ID. It took me about a day to truly get used to using it and not the thumb to access the phone. I watch videos on YouTube daily and the notch isn’t and issue at all. I honestly thought it would be when I first saw it on the X, and then using it when I bought the    the Xs Max. 
    Nope, I just don’t like the look of the notch, it’s aesthetically displeasing, period.  I don’t see that changing if I used the phone. 
    It’s aesthetically displeasing to a person looking at pictures of it and not actually using it. A rear-view mirror in the windshield is also aesthetically displeasing and obscures view...but in practice neither matters whatsoever. 

You’re basically making a bizarre form over functional argument. 
    edited July 2019 lolliverbonobob
  • Reply 28 of 61
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    Outside better security with FaceID, TouchID is vastly superior:

- you don’t need to look at the phone to unlock it. There are situations where this is preferred, e.g in a car or in bed.
    - it works both in landscape/portrait on the phone
    - it has a better and more logical user experience when used in conjunction with Apple Pay
    - it has a better user experience when unlocking - no obnoxious animation on-screen to cover the authentication delay.  

Good thing about FaceID:
    - you can use gloves and authenticate just fine

Personally I hope both technologies get so cheap to produce that they are incorporate both. FaceID has other purposes such as meshing your face for augmented reality experiences, so I can imagine that a future phone with full screen TouchID and FaceID will aim to use both to authenticate you (first one that ‘wins’ is used).
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 29 of 61
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    flydog said:

waverboy said:
    chasm said:
    waverboy said:

It says in the last paragraph but relating it only to the Chinese market:

”Most recently, a report in early July claimed Apple plans to introduce China-exclusive iPhone variant that drops Face ID in favor of an under-screen Touch ID module. By removing TrueDepth, Apple will be able to market the handset at a relatively low price point, attracting a wider swath of the Chinese market, the report said.”

There is no way such a feature be restricted to only Chinese markets IMHO, because Chinese competition is global not restricted to China. I think Kuo didn’t dare to go that far..
    FaceTime & FaceID are not the same thing. In relation to FaceID it says they might not include it on  some lower end models in order to make the phone cheaper. It doesn't imply that it will be removed from all models. Apple still sell legacy models without FaceID so the fact they may continue to do so in the future isn't out of the question. 

Having said that these are all just rumours, some, none or all of it may come to fruition but at this stage none of it is fact. 
  • Reply 30 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This news definitely makes the “SE” sized full-screen display phone more likely.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

tyler82 said:
    I bought the 10 and after returned it and got the 8plus. 
    Hated the notch.

From someone that did try it and hated it.

williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 32 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    yuck9 said:

tyler82 said:
    I bought the 10 and after returned it and got the 8plus. 
    Hated the notch.

From someone that did try it and hated it.
    So you hated having a lot more display so you went back to a respectively gigantic forehead and chin? Sounds like BS to me. Now, if you said that you preferred Touch ID or some specific UI difference, then that would have some merit, but your comment makes nary a mention of those things.
    lolliverStrangeDays80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 33 of 61
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member

- you don’t need to look at the phone to unlock it. There are situations where this is preferred, e.g in a car or in bed.
    - it has a better and more logical user experience when used in conjunction with Apple Pay
    - it has a better user experience when unlocking - no obnoxious animation on-screen to cover the authentication delay.  

Good thing about FaceID:

Personally I hope both technologies get so cheap to produce that they are incorporate both. FaceID has other purposes such as meshing your face for augmented reality experiences, so I can imagine that a future phone with full screen TouchID and FaceID will aim to use both to authenticate you (first one that ‘wins’ is used).
    On this forum I saw someone say TouchID is better than FaceID and vice versa. At least you clarified certain reasons for such claims. Thanks. But I think the most important comparison is the chance for false positives and false negatives. Those are different kinds of errors. Someone quoted an Apple document that says the chance for a false positive with FaceID was 1 in a million for most situations. How does that compare to TouchID with false positives? And what about false negatives? I have normal fingerprints and I get the feeling that maybe one in ten times it doesn't accept my finger. (It's partly my fault because my finger isn't always lined up accurately but that's part of the design of the product since I'm not Superman.) That's a huge false negative rate.
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 34 of 61

Good thing about FaceID:

More advantages of FaceID:

- It is more secure than TouchID

- Less False Positives than TouchID

There are also the tiny things that really stand out, such as Notifications expanding when you look at the screen and the ring tone's volume reducing when you look at the screen. Both of them made possible because of Face ID.

With FaceID going orientation-neutral on the iPad Pros, it's just a matter of time before that comes to the iPhones as well.

Also, you shouldn't be fiddling with your phone when you're in the car. If it is that urgent, I'd mention using Siri, but I do not want to open that can of worms now.

lolliverfastasleepmattinozCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 35 of 61
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    That's what Apple does! And everyone else follows with a 'good enough' second rate copy. Oh, well. :)
    It’s just horrendous how others (Oppo, Xiaomi) copy Apple in advance with their under-screen cams
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 61
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    M68000 said:
    waverboy said:
    If you can’t wait, go for an 8 plus.  I’ve been using it for month and it’s an awesome phone. 
    I’ve been using an 8 Plus for nearly 2 years now. Overall a very good device and the last of the classic iPhone designs. A few niggles though...Touch ID doesn’t seem to be quite as fast as it was when new, after less than 2 years, battery capacity is down to 90% (actually don’t know whether that’s good or bad as compared to other phones?) and the camera quality isn’t the best, video is very noisy in low light too. But as a functioning smartphone, still fast and smooth running.  
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 37 of 61
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Good thing about FaceID:

I use face ID with Apple Pay all the time. It works perfectly fine. What unlocking animation are you referring to? Swiping up from the bottom of the screen to get to the home screen? For me though Face ID is vastly superior because I live in a cold weather climate. Not being able to unlock my phone with gloves on (the most recent Touch ID phones didn’t have a home ‘button’ thus pressing it with gloves on does nothing) was a real pain.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The notch isn't a dealbreaker for me with my X, but I'll definitely be happy to see it go, there are a couple of apps where it gets in the way.  I'd have preferred they'd had a solid forehead to the phone and kept a rectangular screen.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    waverboy said:
    Just a phrase, but words have power. You’re life will not complete by what you acquire. That philosophy will keep you permanently chasing happiness. Such FWP you have.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 61
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    crowley said:
    The notch isn't a dealbreaker for me with my X, but I'll definitely be happy to see it go, there are a couple of apps where it gets in the way.  I'd have preferred they'd had a solid forehead to the phone and kept a rectangular screen.
    How does it get in the way? If so, it's a badly designed app, not Apple's fault. It shouldn't interfere with anything.