Facebook reportedly fined $5B over Cambridge Analytica fiasco

Posted:
in General Discussion
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has reportedly approved a $5 billion settlement with Facebook to resolve the latter's privacy violations in the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Cambridge Analytica

The FTC approved the settlement in a 3-to-2 vote with Republican commissioners in favor and Democrats opposing, according to Wall Street Journal sources. The arrangement and further details have yet to be confirmed publicly, and any agreement will still have to be reviewed by the Department of Justice.

Earlier this year Facebook set aside $3 billion in anticipation of FTC fines. The two parties have been in negotiations for months, looking to avoid a long and expensive court battle.

The FTC began investigating Facebook in March last year following the emergence of the scandal. Analytica and Cambridge University researcher Aleksandr Kogan used a quiz app to collect data on Facebook users and their connected friends, the latter without their consent, enabling Analytica to build voter profiles for some 71 million Americans and a smaller amount of people overseas. The data harvesting was discovered in 2015, but only made public by Facebook in March 2018. This drew the scrutiny of governments in both the U.S. and the UK.

Some clients of Analytica included the 2016 Presidential campaigns of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, and the Institutional Revolutionary Party during Mexico's 2018 general election.

In fact, the FTC was concerned that various Facebook activities constituted violations of a 2011 agreement in which the company promised to improve its privacy standards. One of these was likely abuse of an Apple enterprise certificate for "Facebook Research," an app people were paid to install to monitor usage habits.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Nice start, but they should have added a zero.

They should also start making the CEO's personally responsible for the fines. I can guarantee that things would change real quick.
    wonkothesaneronn80s_Apple_Guyplanetary pauldysamoriaNoFliesOnMep-dogbaconstangcat52macseeker
  • Reply 2 of 35
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    MplsP said:

They should also start making the CEO's personally responsible for the fines. I can guarantee that things would change real quick.
    Absolutely +1
    n2itivguyNoFliesOnMemacseekerchasmmac_dogcornchiplolliverairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    MplsP said:

+0
    MplsP
  • Reply 4 of 35
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Even for Facebook, that’s gotta hurt.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Wow FB got off easy.
    ronnp-dogbaconstangchasmolsanton zuykovmac_dogn2itivguycornchiplolliver
  • Reply 6 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Good. This is what the Feds should go after these guys for: shady behaviors vis-a-vis user privacy.

The rest, like the made-up antitrust violations, are pure nonsense.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I'm trying to figure out why Democrats objected to the fine and/or amount. From what I remember about this fiasco, it was pretty clear cut what Facebook did and the way they abused all sorts of things. I'd like to know why each political party felt the way they did. 
    cat52lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    rob53 said:
    I'm trying to figure out why Democrats objected to the fine and/or amount. From what I remember about this fiasco, it was pretty clear cut what Facebook did and the way they abused all sorts of things. I'd like to know why each political party felt the way they did. 
    Yeah, I noticed that too. For a partisan split it was opposite of what you typically see. The reasons I can think of:
    - fine too big
    - fine too small
    - there was no other ongoing punishment or action to change the operations
    - they did it just to be partisan and vote against the republicans
    - they're totally find with Facebook's lack of respect for people's privacy
    - Mark Zuckerberg was a big campaign contributor.

cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    rob53 said:
    Didn’t they oppose the settlement of the fine?
    i gues if not settled it would go to a court to decide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rob53 said:
    Democrat party corporatism...? It’s not like that party is less corporatist than the Republican Party. The duopoly is all about itself, not about the people.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    One thing is certain, FB will not appeal this ruling.
    They will say thank you and pay the 5 bills and hope no one else fines them.
    baconstangcat52sphericcornchiplolliverairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    JWSC said:
    You are kidding mate .. Facebook's revenue for the first quarter of this year was $US15.1 billion.
    n2itivguylolliver
  • Reply 13 of 35
    kimberly said:
    JWSC said:
    You are kidding mate .. Facebook's revenue for the first quarter of this year was $US15.1 billion.
    What was their profit? That payment isn’t coming from the revenue. 
    edited July 2019 anantksundaramradarthekatJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    The fine is a joke, thus the Democratic members opposition. From The NY Times:

But none of the conditions in the settlement will impose strict limitations on Facebook’s ability to collect and share data with third parties. And that decision appeared to help split the five-member commission. The 3-to-2 vote, taken in secret this week, drew the dissent of the two Democrats on the commission because they sought stricter limits on the company, the people said.

There were calls for Zuckerberg to be personally liable given his role at the company and because a similar settlement in 2011 did nothing to curb Facebook’s bad behavior. Especially with no additional oversight. Suck lied to members of Congress when he appeared before them. The first poster is right: the fine is a fraction of what it should be 
    baconstangchasmn2itivguycornchiplolliverairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    In the time between the scandal and now - facebook have amassed many times this figure in profit.

It is now merely a cost of doing business.
    cat52ronnEcky-Thumpn2itivguycornchiplolliver
  • Reply 16 of 35
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    So who gets the money? All the people whose privacy was violated, or the government?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    So who gets the money? All the people whose privacy was violated, or the government?
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 35
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    leighr said:
    The government, of course.
    cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 35
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    hexclock said:
    leighr said:
    The government, of course.
    Gotta pay for those Republican tax cuts somehow.
    teonycGeorgeBMacdjames4242ronn
  • Reply 20 of 35
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    kimberly said:
    JWSC said:
    Of which roughly one third profit. So in other words about the profit of one quarter gone. I think you can this a lot of things but not really hurting, in particular as it’s obviously a one time write iff and has nothing to do with the market directly.
    My impression is that this level of fine will go down in their books more as “bummer, we hit a negative ROI on this one, let’s make sure next time we’re hiding our practices better”. 
    hydrogencornchipwatto_cobra