Facial recognition bolstered by mass database scraping, but not from Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion
Progress is being made in the field of facial recognition by the use of multiple photograph databases consisting of subjects who were not aware of their misuse, a report claims, but while many companies and researchers are collecting and sharing the images and resulting data, Apple is not one of the sources.

The constant push to make facial recognition better has led to researchers collecting vast databases of images, each consisting of faces from a variety of different sources. On the need for acquiring more data for neural networks to learn from, these databases are also reportedly being shared between teams to create even bigger databases.

According to the New York Times, some of the images sourced for the databases are scraped from publicly-available images, ranging from social media posts to dating sites like OKCupid. In some cases, cameras in public locations are allegedly used to acquire facial data, including those from restaurants and college campuses.

As for the amount of databases in existence, the number is unknown, but there are image archives used for facial recognition training compiled by organizations such as Microsoft and Stanford University. As for their size, two databases were said to have over 10 million images and more than 2 million each.

For many of the images, the people appearing in them are unlikely to know that they are being used for facial recognition training or other purposes. Furthermore, it is unlikely that those who do know about the image's usage will be aware that it is being shared with other organizations.

Major tech companies like Facebook and Google are thought to have created the biggest data sets of human faces, but research papers advise the firms do not distribute the information to others. However, the report claims other smaller entities are more willing to share their data with others, including both private companies and governments.

The sharing of the data, as well as the discovery of activities such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials using facial recognition on motorist photos to identify undocumented immigrants to the United States, has led to critics complaining about the privacy implications for those featured in images.

In one example, a 2014 project by Stanford researchers called "Brainwash," used a camera to take more than 10,000 images over three days in a cade of the same name. The data from Brainwash was then shared by the researchers with others, including academics in China associated with the National University of Defense Technology, and surveillance technology firm Megvii.

In Microsoft's case, it created "MS Celeb," a database of over 10 million images of more than 100,000 people, largely consisting of celebrities and public figures, but also of privacy and security activists. Again, the database was found to have been distributed internationally.

Both Stanford and Microsoft removed their databases from distribution, following complaints by individuals over the potential breaches of privacy.

"You come to see that these practices are intrusive, and you realize that these companies are not respectful of privacy," said Liz O'Sullivan, an activist who left the New York-based AI startup Clarifai over their methods. "The more ubiquitous facial recognition becomes, the more exposed we are to being part of the process."

Clarifai started to use images from OkCupid due to one of the site's founders investing in the startup, as well as photographs via a deal with a social media company. The firm created a service that could identify ages, sex, and the race of faces, and was also reportedly working on a tool to collect images from the website "Insecam" to acquire more from public and private spaces that used insecure surveillance cameras, but efforts were shut down following employee protests.

According to founder and CEO Matt Zeiler, the firm intended to sell its facial recognition systems to governments, the military, and law enforcement officials under the right circumstances, and didn't see any reason to restrict technology sales to specific countries.

While the various databases used for the projects used publicly-sourced images and those gathered by other firms, none of the images came from Apple.

The company does perform artificial intelligence and machine learning research, and has been sharing some of its research since 2017, following years of the company actively preventing such sharing from taking place.

It is unclear what kind of data sets Apple uses for its research efforts, but it won't have been sourced from its customers. Apple is a staunch supporter of privacy, and works to build its products and services to minimize the amount of user data that is provided to Apple as far as possible.

For example, Face ID does use facial recognition to unlock an iPhone, however the technology uses an algorithm on the depth map of the user and compares it with results of a previously-scanned face. At no point is an accurate map of the user's face stored on an iPhone, only the algorithmic results after a scan.

It would also be difficult for Apple to justify collecting any facial data for its own research purpose, given how Apple publicly advertises its privacy and security credentials.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    It has become obvious that stalking and privacy laws need to be vastly and internationally expanded to stop this predatory behaviour, at least without active user opt-in and aggressive transparency about where and how face data is collected, used, and sold to.

Proud of Apple for not being part of the problem.
    edited July 2019 seanismorrisgilly33StrangeDayslolliverleftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    What is not explained, as far as I can see, is what benefit the AI researchers obtain from the databases of faces. Yes, they can train the programs to recognize that there is, indeed, a face in the picture but it doesn’t appear that they have other data to match against it. They don’t know whose faces they are. What am I missing? What are the privacy problems that people are seeing?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 11
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    Is any of this relevant in any number of situations? Will Apple data be some of the most verifiable (and valuable) on the planet because we 'trust' them ? Is this the stuff of of boiled frogs and trojan horses ? https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/micro-assassination-drones-fit-in-your-hand-IcoMKId1qUeR4hKnf11x9w/
    edited July 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Research in facial recognition is like machine vision research in "bin picking" many decades earlier-- a challenge, with many useful applications. You need raw actual data, rather than old yearbook pix. This time however the abuse potential should already have lawmakers looking at regulating databases, expirations, sharing, etc. This has been developing since early 2000s. Republicans dismantled the US Congressional Office of Technology Assessment about that time. Very shortsighted.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    leehammleehamm Posts: 58member
    applejeff said:
    What is not explained, as far as I can see, is what benefit the AI researchers obtain from the databases of faces. Yes, they can train the programs to recognize that there is, indeed, a face in the picture but it doesn’t appear that they have other data to match against it. They don’t know whose faces they are. What am I missing? What are the privacy problems that people are seeing?
    Didn't you watch any Bourne movies? If faces, in a crowd, can be compared with known faces [from social media], people [and their locations, activities, routines etc] can be identified. The data collection may start with the quasi-innocent feature recognition, yes this is a non-white/brown/black face.

If this is just 'raw' data collection, why are people in London arrested for hiding their faces from street cameras? We can opt out of social media. We can choose not to walk down streets full of cameras. I doubt this is innocent collection of raw faces; at least not for long.

Oh, and this:

lostkiwigilly33
  • Reply 7 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    applejeff said:

What should not be in these databases is context.  An image of a person walking out of an adult toy store or abortion clinic or AIDS testing clinic.

Images from dating sites.  Imagine a married person is cheating.  It’s one thing for his/her data scientist spouse to discover this organically or by hiring a private detective, another altogether to have that spouse discover it by seeing the cheater show up, with context, in a face recognition database he/she is working on.  

So there are privacy issues.  And that’s where the debate should be centered, not merely on the use of our faces, collected properly and used anonymously, but on context that may be included, whether deliberately or inadvertently.   
    edited July 2019 gatorguymacwin180
  • Reply 8 of 11
    applejeff said:
    Many of the images posted online still have all their EXIF data attached. This not only gives date/time when the photo was taken, it also can include the GPS location.
    It is a simple matter then to tag the image with that data and bingo you have at least a form of recognition. That data is then searchable. When you start adding other images of that person into the mix you start getting a pattern of behaviour such as 'This person goes to this shopping mall every saturday afternoon'.
    That is invaluable to advertisers when you add all the other similar records to the dataset.

If you widen the search out to the car park of that mall, you can easily find out what vehicle that person arrived in. Get the numberplate and you are almost at the end of the rainbow with a pot of gold in your hand.

It is all down to tagging and then adding little bits of information to a subject. Over time you can build up a very detailed picture (sic) of the behaviours of that person. Where they go, what they drive, what the like to buy, eat etc etc etc.

There is a very good reason that I don't post images of people where the actual person can be recognised. Even Cat videos can be tracked!

Big Brother is alive and stealing your life 24/7 if you let it.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    We reserve the right to sell your face. 
    Ahhh, so that’s why it’s called Facebook. 
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Is any of this relevant in any number of situations? Will Apple data be some of the most verifiable (and valuable) on the planet because we 'trust' them ? Is this the stuff of of boiled frogs and trojan horses ? https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/micro-assassination-drones-fit-in-your-hand-IcoMKId1qUeR4hKnf11x9w/
    This isn’t the point and only serves as a diversion from the issue—user privacy and having everything about our (my) personhood commoditized without my consent. Period.

Your rationale parallels the mentality that allows more laws that restrict even more rights and freedoms bcoz, “I don’t care if this law is put into place, bcoz it doesn’t affect me...” or “all my information is out there already, so why should I care...?”  It’s tantamount to burying your head in the sand. 
    edited July 2019