Editorial: Manufacturers, it's time to put more USB-C ports on chargers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    MplsP said:
    flydog said:
    Hahahaha. 

Whoever sold you on the lie of USB-C was doing you no favors. 

Hold on while we run out and swap all the USB-A ports in everything. 
    Incredible that people perpetuate this nonsense.  
    Have you looked around? Pretty much every single car has a USB A plug. The airplane has a USB A plug. The Hotel has a USB A plug. The combination USB outlet I found at Home Depot is USB A. Virtually every wired mouse and keyboard made is USB A. The only place USB C is at all common is the Apple Store.

USB A is the standard. It may change in the future, but it will take a long time. Apple putting USB C ports on its computers doesn't magically change the rest of the world. As someone mentioned above, though, except for high power devices like MacBooks, it really doesn't matter for charging. You had a USB A to lightning (or Mini USB or micro USB or...)  cable. If it doesn't need more than 12W, it really doesn't matter if the other end is USB A or USB C. This is also a reason it will take a long time to change. For the majority of uses, people don't need the power capacity of USB C. It's not unlike coming out with 220V appliances and expecting everyone to start putting 220V plugs in their homes.

USB C is clearly more flexible than USB A - higher power capacity, the ability to handle thunderbolt data in the same port. the problem is, USB C cables are not all the same and can be spec'd differently, so your USB C cable may work for charging but not for thunderbolt or vice versa, essentially adding a whole lot of confusion to the picture.
    Don’t be ridiculous. Simply swap out your car and your airplane for the ones with the USB-C ports. Are are stuck in the past with your old airplane. 
    williamlondonMplsPbaconstangStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerRayerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 71
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    I actually overloaded a 6-port USB charger for the first time last night— a fairly robust unit, charging watch, small bluetooth speaker, iPad Pro, iPad, and two power banks.  While that was a rare occurrence, exaggerated by the fact that my wife didn’t have her travel charger, I think the power limits are going to need to go up more than anything else.

Going back and looking at the specs, the maximum total power for the unit is only 35W— across 5 2.4A and 1 “QC” port— grossly inadequate for six ports.  It needs to be at least 60W.  That is where most of the effort likely should be spent now IMO.
    With 6 ports and data connection why isn’t the charger smart enough to avoid overload by picking which devices get power?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 71
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Soli said:
    ...Do you not see a problem with your statement?

Regardless of your disdain for USB-C...
    Why do you not see a problem with your own statement?  "Disdain"?  Here's what I said...

"Look, I know the benefits of USB-C."

If I know the benefits of USB-C, it's pretty clear I do not "disdain" USB-C.  Furthermore, in my previous post I said we need BOTH PORTS.  That also proves I have no "disdain" toward USB-C.  As such, please read and comprehend prior to posting.  I get it, you love USB-C exclusively, but some of us like USB-C and other ports too.  Please recognize that fact.  Thanks.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 71
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Honestly... EVERYONE should be doing USB-C now. 

Sure, manufacturers should PROVIDE adapters for about two years and then go full throttle. 

Its a great standard and does EVERYTHING. 

There is no drawback beyond “well... my old compooter on the farm don’t got that newfangled shape!”

thats what adapters are for. Only the luddites use them (as it should be. They have a different gadget for everything). NOT the ones using one port to save them all in order to clean it up and unify things. 

I wish Apple went full bore USB C only. 

It would make a lot a lot of things so much simpler. We use all Apple where I work. Having to get different types of cables for iMacs and MacBook pros is annoying. 

Why? What advantage is there to me getting a USB C keyboard? How about swapping out my car stereo (nope - I was just shopping for a new car stereo on Crutchfield and none of them are USB C) What about the old external hard drive I have? It’s USB 3, so plenty fast enough for all I need. Should I trash it and spend a bunch of money on a new one just because some technophile as decided that “USB C is the future and I want it NOW so everyone should have to change what they do to suit my views?” Many people said FireWire was the future, but that just stumbled along before dying with a whimper.

Soli said:
    jdw said:
    Manufacturers aren't stupid.  What they do reflects what the consumer demand.  It's a fact that even now in July 2019 most computers and devices used worldwide still have USB-A.  It's a fact that cannot be denied.  And until the average consumer has ditched all those legacy USB-A devices, nothing will change.
    You just said that manufacturers won't support USB-C until customers support USB-C which you claim won't happen until manufactures support USB-C. Do you not see a problem with your statement? Do you not see how all technologies have become a common standard?

Regardless of your disdain for USB-C the adoption and use grows every year.
    Actually, what you said is exactly right. When USB (A) came along, it was clearly superior and easier and more flexible than the interfaces it was replacing. It took some time, but there was a natural driving force for its adoption. USB C doesn’t have that driving force. Sure, you can charge with it, but for charging, the MagSafe cable on my old MBA actually worked better. Yeah, I can use it for video, but my MBA had a thunderbolt port that worked for video, and I either get a thunderbolt capable USB C cable with an adapter for my non-thunderbolt monitor, or I use a thunderbolt cable - what’s the difference?

The lack of a real need or benefit of USB C for the majority of users is exactly what is going to slow the adoption. People won’t demand something they don’t need and manufacturers won’t respond to demand that isn’t there. (On the contrary, I know of many people who have specifically looked for devices with USB A ports because all their devices and cables are USB A)
    baconstangracerhomie3FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    MplsP said:

Sure, manufacturers should PROVIDE adapters for about two years and then go full throttle. 

There is no drawback beyond “well... my old compooter on the farm don’t got that newfangled shape!”

thats what adapters are for. Only the luddites use them (as it should be. They have a different gadget for everything). NOT the ones using one port to save them all in order to clean it up and unify things. 

It would make a lot a lot of things so much simpler. We use all Apple where I work. Having to get different types of cables for iMacs and MacBook pros is annoying. 

Why? What advantage is there to me getting a USB C keyboard? How about swapping out my car stereo (nope - I was just shopping for a new car stereo on Crutchfield and none of them are USB C) What about the old external hard drive I have? It’s USB 3, so plenty fast enough for all I need. Should I trash it and spend a bunch of money on a new one just because some technophile as decided that “USB C is the future and I want it NOW so everyone should have to change what they do to suit my views?” Many people said FireWire was the future, but that just stumbled along before dying with a whimper.

Soli said:
    jdw said:
    Manufacturers aren't stupid.  What they do reflects what the consumer demand.  It's a fact that even now in July 2019 most computers and devices used worldwide still have USB-A.  It's a fact that cannot be denied.  And until the average consumer has ditched all those legacy USB-A devices, nothing will change.
    You just said that manufacturers won't support USB-C until customers support USB-C which you claim won't happen until manufactures support USB-C. Do you not see a problem with your statement? Do you not see how all technologies have become a common standard?

Actually, what you said is exactly right. When USB (A) came along, it was clearly superior and easier and more flexible than the interfaces it was replacing. It took some time, but there was a natural driving force for its adoption. USB C doesn’t have that driving force. Sure, you can charge with it, but for charging, the MagSafe cable on my old MBA actually worked better. Yeah, I can use it for video, but my MBA had a thunderbolt port that worked for video, and I either get a thunderbolt capable USB C cable with an adapter for my non-thunderbolt monitor, or I use a thunderbolt cable - what’s the difference?

The lack of a real need or benefit of USB C for the majority of users is exactly what is going to slow the adoption. People won’t demand something they don’t need and manufacturers won’t respond to demand that isn’t there. (On the contrary, I know of many people who have specifically looked for devices with USB A ports because all their devices and cables are USB A)
    The point of usb-c is that is both your MagSafe port and your video port and your high speed data port in one.  It is clearly superior to having separate power, video and data ports on a machine.

This is no different than moving from ps2, serial and parallel ports to USB.
    StrangeDaysSolilorin schultzcaladanianchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 71
    nht said:
    MplsP said:

Soli said:
    jdw said:

The point of usb-c is that is both your MagSafe port and your video port and your high speed data port in one.  It is clearly superior to having separate power, video and data ports on a machine.

Like I said earlier, USB had clear advantages over the PS/2 port for the majority of applications. USB C is clearly more capable but the vast majority of users don’t have a need for those capabilities and so there is not nearly the push. The PS/2 port was really only used for mice/keyboards and at the time USB A came out computers were rarely kept more than 3-4 years meaning there was a natural switch to USB. The installed base of USB A is orders of magnitude larger as is the number of things it’s used for so there is much more ‘inertia’ keeping USB A in use.

As far as having ‘one port, I have 4 USB C ports on my MBP. The vast majority of time I use one of them to charge it. The USB C cable that comes with the MacBookPros is a charging cable, so I can’t use it for data anyway. If you took that one port out and replaced it with a MagSafe it would make *zero* difference in the usability. It would actually make it more usable since the MagSafe was actually superior for charging (easier to connect, charging indicator, disconnected if someone tripped on the cord, the cord laid flat against the machine.) Ditto the video - replace one of the USB C ports with a thunderbolt for video. I have to have a separate thunderbolt-capable USB C cable anyway, so what’s the advantage of using the USB C port vs having a thunderbolt? I’d then have a MagSafe for charging, a thunderbolt for the rare occasions I actually connect to an external monitor and 2 USB’s which is one more than I ever use anyway.

I get that USB C can do it all; my point is that the number of people who need to do all that is very small and the number of people that need 4 separate ports to do it all is much smaller still. If the big advantage is flexibility but very few people actually need that flexibility then it really isn’t much of an advantage and the inconvenience of dealing with new connectors outweighs the supposed benefits.
    baconstangRayer
  • Reply 27 of 71
    nht said:
    MplsP said:

Soli said:
    jdw said:

Like I said earlier, USB had clear advantages over the PS/2 port for the majority of applications. USB C is clearly more capable but the vast majority of users don’t have a need for those capabilities and so there is not nearly the push. The PS/2 port was really only used for mice/keyboards and at the time USB A came out computers were rarely kept more than 3-4 years meaning there was a natural switch to USB. The installed base of USB A is orders of magnitude larger as is the number of things it’s used for so there is much more ‘inertia’ keeping USB A in use.

As far as having ‘one port, I have 4 USB C ports on my MBP. The vast majority of time I use one of them to charge it. The USB C cable that comes with the MacBookPros is a charging cable, so I can’t use it for data anyway. If you took that one port out and replaced it with a MagSafe it would make *zero* difference in the usability. It would actually make it more usable since the MagSafe was actually superior for charging (it was easier to connect, it had a charging indicator, it disconnected if someone tripped on the cord, the cord laid flat against the machine.) Ditto the video - replace one of the USB C ports with a thunderbolt for video. I have to have a separate thunderbolt-capable USB C cable anyway, so what’s the advantage of using the USB C port vs having a thunderbolt? I’d then have a MagSafe for charging, a thunderbolt for the rare occasions I actually connect to an external monitor and 2 USB’s which is one more than I ever use anyway.

I get that USB C can do it all; my point is that the number of people who need to do all that is very small and the number of people that need 4 separate ports to do it all is much smaller still. If the big advantage is flexibility but very few people actually need that flexibility then it really isn’t much of an advantage and the inconvenience of dealing with new connectors outweighs the supposed benefits.
    edited July 2019 FileMakerFellerRayer
  • Reply 28 of 71
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    My sister and her husband have 4 kids, all have iPhones, and they were always misplacing the power bricks.  So, I bought them USB-A wall jacks for Christmas (technically a present for the adults, the kids got cash). 

Fast forward several years, they’re still in use... I don’t think anyone has an iPhone 8 (or newer) so no USB C.

Previously, they’d get new iPhones every year...
    Wow, what spoiled kids!
  • Reply 29 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    mac_128 said:
    USB-A is a worldwide, international standard. At some point it makes sense to change, but not at the moment. Adding extra ports to chargers will just make the chargers cost more. For the vast majority of consumers, USB-A is still the primary port they use. It makes absolutely no sense to cater to a small minority of primarily high-tech users, and make everyone else pay for it.
    LOL. When is a good time to make the shift away from a 20 year old port? If you asked the public they’d want a faster horse, etc... Of course manufacturers have to make the decision. 
  • Reply 30 of 71
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    USB-C is far from ubiquitous.  
    In the last few months I've installed A/V systems in a PBS studio and at a major tech company's new HQ.  Of the many USB connections made, 10% (or less) were USB-C.

It was forward looking of Apple to introduce USB-C when they did.  It was short sighted to not include USB-A in most of their offerings.
    It’s not short sighted at all. By dropping USB-A as a built-in option, Apple hastens the changeover, which is exactly what is needed to address the underlying issue. So long as everybody keeps A as a built-in option on devices, there is no impetus to even include C as an option on chargers or wall ports or on airplanes, etc.  As millions of C-only MacBooks and MBPs get out in the wild, millions of customers are looking for C ports. As more C ports become available to address that demand, more devices will be built with USB-C, and the changeover  snowballs more quickly, until ubiquity is achieved.  
    edited July 2019 Solichia
  • Reply 31 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:

Actually, what you said is exactly right. When USB (A) came along, it was clearly superior and easier and more flexible than the interfaces it was replacing. It took some time, but there was a natural driving force for its adoption.
    1) USB-A was superior. Now USB-C clearly is. From it's svelte size, to its performance both in data speeds and power transfer, versatility in protocol options, future-forward design, its port-interface design that allows it to be flipped 180° for more convenient insertion, and even its design allowing the reduction of an ungodly number of other USB port interfaces like Type-B with two different sizes, Mini-A, Mini-B, Mini-AB, Micro-A, Micro-B with two different sizes, and Micro-AB all having a USB-A (which may or may not be USB 3.0 compatible) on the other end of the cable. 

2) USB-C is a driving force for adoption today and will only grow with each passing day. At least GMC and Cadillac offer USB-C ports built into their automobiles, and if you know anything about that industry you'd know that they are slow to change and only move after consumer tech standards are well established.
    lorin schultzchia
  • Reply 32 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    MplsP said:
    nht said:
    MplsP said:

Soli said:
    jdw said:

As far as having ‘one port, I have 4 USB C ports on my MBP. The vast majority of time I use one of them to charge it. The USB C cable that comes with the MacBookPros is a charging cable, so I can’t use it for data anyway. If you took that one port out and replaced it with a MagSafe it would make *zero* difference in the usability. It would actually make it more usable since the MagSafe was actually superior for charging (it was easier to connect, it had a charging indicator, it disconnected if someone tripped on the cord, the cord laid flat against the machine.) Ditto the video - replace one of the USB C ports with a thunderbolt for video. I have to have a separate thunderbolt-capable USB C cable anyway, so what’s the advantage of using the USB C port vs having a thunderbolt? I’d then have a MagSafe for charging, a thunderbolt for the rare occasions I actually connect to an external monitor and 2 USB’s which is one more than I ever use anyway.

Because genius, it’s not all about you.

Other folks 1 connection docking.

Others want dual monitors.

Others want eGPU + drives.

That YOU only need 2 high speed digital interconnects is immaterial.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    MplsP said:

What advantage is there to me getting a USB C keyboard?
    1. When you reach behind the computer to plug it in you don’t have to worry about which side is “up.”

2. The connector is smaller, allowing the device bearing it to be smaller.

MplsP said:

What about the old external hard drive I have? It’s USB 3, so plenty fast enough for all I need. Should I trash it and spend a bunch of money on a new one
    Of course not. Replace the cable. Right now it’s some version of USB-B (regular, mini, or one of the two versions of micro). The other end is USB-A. Simply replace it with one that has USB-C at the computer end.

Then, next time you buy an external hard drive, you get one with a USB-C port, thus eliminating one more argument for USB-A.

That’s what I’m doing, and I can tell you it sure is nice to have the same connector on every single device connecting to my computer, and being able to plug in any combination I want in whatever quantities I want into whichever port I want. No more wishing I had another HDMI port (or cursing that unused HDMI port when what I need is just one more USB). Any port can be any interface I want.

MplsP said:

When USB (A) came along, it was clearly superior and easier and more flexible than the interfaces it was replacing. It took some time, but there was a natural driving force for its adoption. USB C doesn’t have that driving force.
    USB-C isclearly superior and easier and more flexible...” What’s lacking is not advantages but awareness and understanding of the benefits. Soli spelled them out nicely. The objections to it seem to be more about irrational prejudice than valid use case issues.
    anomechia
  • Reply 34 of 71
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

MplsP said:
    [...] - replace one of the USB C ports with a thunderbolt for video. I have to have a separate thunderbolt-capable USB C cable anyway, so what’s the advantage of using the USB C port vs having a thunderbolt?
    Thunderbolt uses a USB-C connector. What you’re describing is removing the USB-C connector and replacing it with a USB-C connector.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    nht said:
    MplsP said:
    nht said:
    MplsP said:

Soli said:
    jdw said:

Because genius, it’s not all about you.

Other folks 1 connection docking.

Others want dual monitors.

Others want eGPU + drives.

That YOU only need 2 high speed digital interconnects is immaterial.
    Since you obviously are a genius, I'm surprised you have a hard time understanding that I was simply presenting examples of common use cases where there is no significant advantage. 

MplsP said:
    [...] - replace one of the USB C ports with a thunderbolt for video. I have to have a separate thunderbolt-capable USB C cable anyway, so what’s the advantage of using the USB C port vs having a thunderbolt?
    Thunderbolt uses a USB-C connector. What you’re describing is removing the USB-C connector and replacing it with a USB-C connector.
    I was referring to the previous, trapezoidal plug.

Regardless, everyone is missing my point - I'm not disputing that USB C has technical and convenience advantages over USB A, rather that for many, probably the majority of current uses those advantages are minimal meaning there will not be a significant push to change. As things progress, I'm sure the drive to change will increase.

baconstang
  • Reply 36 of 71
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

MplsP said:

More to the point, the ports on the MacBook Pro [i]are[/i] Thunderbolt. He's talking about replacing a Thunderbolt 3 connector with a Thunderbolt 2 connector, which doesn't really make much sense, when you can get a TB3-TB2 adapter.

And the other thing I don't get is all the people saying "I don't want USB-C because [blah] only has USB-A". USB-C is compatible with USB-A, and you can buy USB-C to USB-A cables everywhere. (Or USB-C to MiniUSB, MicroUSB, USB-B, pretty much anything.) If you plug your non Power Delivery device into a Power Delivery capable USB-C port, with the appropriate cable, it still charges. You don't actually lose anything by having USB-C on your charging brick, or your computer interface, your USB-A device will still work fine, you don't have to upgrade to match both ends. Also claiming that your external battery shouldn't have USB-C because your car stereo uses USB-A is just weird. Even if, for some reason, you wanted to plug the two together, you just need a USB-A to USB-C cable. I don't know what you'd do with it, though.
    chia
  • Reply 37 of 71
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I don’t get it why iPhone is still delivered with a (5W) USB-A charger - if Apple wants the Fasten the change from A to C they should not make A-chargers any longer

Fir standardisation maybe even replace all lightning with USB-C

PS: don’t remove all(!!!) A-ports from the back of the iMacs, please, for a few years. Please keep at leat 1 or 2. That’s backwards compatibility where you have the space. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 38 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:
    What about the old external hard drive I have? It’s USB 3, so plenty fast enough for all I need. Should I trash it and spend a bunch of money on a new one
    LOL You're claiming that you have no recourse but to "trash" an external HDD because USB-C exists? Of all the shitty arguments in all the world. Geez.

Or, you could still use that exact same external HDD, but you know that.
    chia
  • Reply 39 of 71
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    AppleZulu said:

By dropping USB-A as a built-in option, Apple hastens the changeover
    Given that Apple themselves still ship iOS devices with a USB-A cable, they've pretty resolutely failed there.  And in the meantime, caused a whole lot of people a whole lot of inconvenience.
    MplsPbaconstangchia
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    LOL You're claiming that you have no recourse but to "trash" an external HDD because USB-C exists? Of all the shitty arguments in all the world. Geez.

Or, you could still use that exact same external HDD, but you know that.
    Yes - of course I know that USB C is backward compatible with USB A. My point is that there’s no advantage to USB C with my existing external hard drive. It’s USB 3.2 and the speed is the same whether I use a USB C cable or a USB A cable. Everyone seems to think that I’m arguing that stuff wont’ work with USB C. Of course it will work; it just won’t work any better. Hence my point that there’s no push to upgrade. If I have a USB 3.2 drive that works just fine, why would I want to change to USB C? Just so I can get the new connector? 

Again - my point is not “usb c sucks;” my point is that for the vast majority of users there’s no significant improvement and thus no incentive to demand a change.
    edited July 2019 baconstang