France approves digital tax measures against Apple despite US pressure

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    avon b7 said:

Did you read the post I was replying to?

Here it is (my bold):

"...ONLY reason the EU has the social programs it has is because the EU members have NO military budgets to speak of. Instead the EU relies on the United States to protect it from the Russian Bear, the Middle East Islamic radicals. If the U.S. pulled out militarily from the EU and NATO those countries would have no choice but to dramatically increase their military budgets and those social programs would suffer big time. For over 70 years now the U.S. has spent its treasure to keep the peace in Europe."

Unless otherwise stated in my post, EU and Europe are interchangeable. That should be crystal clear to a person who lives in a place called "North America" and which provides for the same contextualisations.

Europe means EU!

Now, the 'otherwise stated' was duly and clearly pointed out with reference to Yugoslavia.

Surprising you managed to fudge things up.

You seem trapped in an old school thinking of 'tanks and battalions'. The world has moved on. The Russians will not invade Europe (let me clarify that for you: EU). Even if it had NO defence capacity!

Why? Because strategically the U.S would not allow it. It would be to much to lose so the whole thing becomes moot. That is the reality. 

However, Europe (yes, EU again) is planning for a unified defence platform but for reasons of strategic goals too. Just like the U.S (and Russia and China). It will happen. The last relevant EU meeting on this was last month (.pdf https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/39786/st10048-en19.pdf)

Ukraine is strategic to the EU as the EU is to Ukraine. 

A Ukraine falling under the umbrella of the EU would automatically provide it with protection from Russia. No military hardware required.

Russia will huff and puff just like Trump huffs and puffs but the EU will chart its own military course but in line with its own objectives, not those who try to impose their own requirements from the outside.
    That's utter bullshit.  If the EU was defenseless, which because of the US, UK, Poland and France it isn't, the Russians would take back all Warsaw Pact nations.  And if it wanted Germany the Germans couldn't stop them without our help.

And the entire point is that the EU has been freeloading on the US for defense because of the assumption that "strategically" we wouldn't allow it.  That YOU believe that the world has moved on from tanks and battalions is only because you live in a country completely sheltered by the tanks and battalions of the US. 

You ungrateful jerk.  My kid will serve so your kids can have socialized medicine without having to pay for an army that can stand up to a country that has already invaded Europe. 

And no...the EU will no longer mean Europe.  Not after Brexit. And your "unified defense platform" won't be anything worth spit in a real war without the UK.
    edited July 2019 cat52anantksundaram
  • Reply 82 of 170
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:

Here it is (my bold):

"...ONLY reason the EU has the social programs it has is because the EU members have NO military budgets to speak of. Instead the EU relies on the United States to protect it from the Russian Bear, the Middle East Islamic radicals. If the U.S. pulled out militarily from the EU and NATO those countries would have no choice but to dramatically increase their military budgets and those social programs would suffer big time. For over 70 years now the U.S. has spent its treasure to keep the peace in Europe."

Unless otherwise stated in my post, EU and Europe are interchangeable. That should be crystal clear to a person who lives in a place called "North America" and which provides for the same contextualisations.

Europe means EU!

Now, the 'otherwise stated' was duly and clearly pointed out with reference to Yugoslavia.

You seem trapped in an old school thinking of 'tanks and battalions'. The world has moved on. The Russians will not invade Europe (let me clarify that for you: EU). Even if it had NO defence capacity!

Why? Because strategically the U.S would not allow it. It would be to much to lose so the whole thing becomes moot. That is the reality. 

However, Europe (yes, EU again) is planning for a unified defence platform but for reasons of strategic goals too. Just like the U.S (and Russia and China). It will happen. The last relevant EU meeting on this was last month (.pdf https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/39786/st10048-en19.pdf)

A Ukraine falling under the umbrella of the EU would automatically provide it with protection from Russia. No military hardware required.

Russia will huff and puff just like Trump huffs and puffs but the EU will chart its own military course but in line with its own objectives, not those who try to impose their own requirements from the outside.
    That's utter bullshit.  If the EU was defenseless, which because of the US, UK, Poland and France it isn't, the Russians would take back all Warsaw Pact nations.  And if it wanted Germany the Germans couldn't stop them without our help.

And the entire point is that the EU has been freeloading on the US for defense because of the assumption that "strategically" we wouldn't allow it.  That YOU believe that the world has moved on from tanks and battalions is only because you live in a country completely sheltered by the tanks and battalions of the US. 

You ungrateful jerk.  My kid will serve so your kids can have socialized medicine without having to pay for an army that can stand up to a country that has already invaded Europe. 

And no...the EU will no longer mean Europe.  Not after Brexit. And your "unified defense platform" won't be anything worth spit in a real war without the UK.
    There you go again with that old school thinking. That 'best military in the world' drum banging, which by chance was the same one that rang out during the Yugoslavian conflict.

I will repeat myself. If the EU was a hive if free loading but pacific hippies with no defence but for words, Russia (I'm surprised you don't call them 'commies') would not do anything on a military level because the U.S simply wouldn't stand back and let them swallow up the whole thing. Not for any love of the EU or its people of course but for purely strategic reasons.

Of course, that isn't the reality we live in and in 2016 the EU (as a collective) was second only to the U.S on defence spending (over 200 billion euros). Let that sink in for a while.

The goal now (and it is part of the summary I linked to) is to get (and to quote a U.S styling) 'more bang for buck'!

That is through better coordination, more procurement at EU levels (as opposed to national levels) and higher levels of military and civilian crossover.

If you read the summary, you will have noted that one of the major pillars of defence wasn't even around when your old school thinking was at its height. Cyberwarfare.

As for being ungrateful, what are you blathering on about now? That's irrevelant but possibly a sign of how you view most EU citizens.

Peace and stability within Europe
    (the EU) has been mostly down to its own interweaving, not Uncle Sam! And it isn't easy to get over 20 member states to move in the same direction so it has been quite a task to pull off. 

It isn't paradise, it isn't perfect but the vast majority of people living here are pro EU and if the UK gets a second referendum I expect remain to win.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    Abalos65Abalos65 Posts: 64member
    cat52 said:
    For those who think Europe has a well funded military, this article may catch you by surprise:

A German battalion assigned to Nato's rapid response force used broomstick handles instead of guns on a joint exercise due to chronic equipment shortages:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11420627/German-army-used-broomsticks-instead-of-guns-during-training.html

So please spare us the talk of how Europe can defend itself.
    Do you think that such an article is a solid argument that all the armies of the WHOLE of Europe cannot defend themselves? This kind of article is just clickbait for people to confirm their biases or preconceived ideas. 

So please spare us the talk of how this is evidence of anything. (Condescending, isn't it?)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 84 of 170
    launfalllaunfall Posts: 50member
    iCave said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:
    I am surprised that it took EU countries this long to enact these kinds of taxes. It’s common knowledge that Apple (with help from Ireland) took advantage of loopholes in international tax laws to reduce their tax burden. Of course, Apple has done nothing illegal, but it’s completely within each country’s rights to change tax laws to close those loopholes.
    So imagine if every UN country charged Apple an additional 3% on gross revenue.
    3% tax is on gross revenue generated in that country (from digital services in this case), which seems perfectly reasonable.

This is a good interim measure at least until the whole of EU passes a common tax law. At some point, corporations need to realize that pitting one country against another to get favourable tax treatment (looking at you Ireland and Luxembourg) can only take you so far.

I love Apple (the company) to pieces but when it comes to taxation, it appears to use tax loopholes like any other corporation does.
    You seem to be forgetting that in the US every state competes with every other state to attract business: outright grants, favorable tax incentives, leasing state-owned land for a fraction of its value. Ireland and Luxembourg did nothing different from what Texas recently did for Apple, what numerous states have done to induce Toyota and Mercedes to open plants, mostly in states that have no labor unions. Where's your outrage?
  • Reply 85 of 170
    cat52 said:
    For those who think Europe has a well funded military, this article may catch you by surprise:

A German battalion assigned to Nato's rapid response force used broomstick handles instead of guns on a joint exercise due to chronic equipment shortages:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11420627/German-army-used-broomsticks-instead-of-guns-during-training.html

You clearly failed to understand previous posts. We are talking about where the EU is heading and its goals for far more military integration and independence.

You will not be surprised to learn that the Trump administration is not happy with this and the usual threats have been launched:

https://thedefensepost.com/2019/05/15/us-eu-trade-war-weapons/
  • Reply 86 of 170
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:

Here it is (my bold):

Europe means EU!

There you go again with that old school thinking. That 'best military in the world' drum banging, which by chance was the same one that rang out during the Yugoslavian conflict.

I will repeat myself. If the EU was a hive if free loading but pacific hippies with no defence but for words, Russia (I'm surprised you don't call them 'commies') would not do anything on a military level because the U.S simply wouldn't stand back and let them swallow up the whole thing. Not for any love of the EU or its people of course but for purely strategic reasons.

Of course, that isn't the reality we live in and in 2016 the EU (as a collective) was second only to the U.S on defence spending (over 200 billion euros). Let that sink in for a while.

The goal now (and it is part of the summary I linked to) is to get (and to quote a U.S styling) 'more bang for buck'!

That is through better coordination, more procurement at EU levels (as opposed to national levels) and higher levels of military and civilian crossover.

If you read the summary, you will have noted that one of the major pillars of defence wasn't even around when your old school thinking was at its height. Cyberwarfare.

As for being ungrateful, what are you blathering on about now? That's irrevelant but possibly a sign of how you view most EU citizens.

(the EU) has been mostly down to its own interweaving, not Uncle Sam! And it isn't easy to get over 20 member states to move in the same direction so it has been quite a task to pull off. 

It isn't paradise, it isn't perfect but the vast majority of people living here are pro EU and if the UK gets a second referendum I expect remain to win.
    While I agree with you,  I think, with regard to Russia, you are both missing the reason why they would not attack Europe:  Russia is now run by a bunch of capitalistic oligarch's (led by Putin) who are more interested in personal wealth than nationalistic expansion.    They are more likely to use tactics like they used in Britain to insure the Brexit vote went their way and here in 2016 to insure that our election went their way than to send tanks and planes.   They didn't even officially send their military into Ukraine -- it was all covert stuff and "volunteers".   They have a military and will use it when they need it (like in Syria), but otherwise they are just your typical Russian Oligarch/mobsters....

Bascally, they'll attack a country using social media to get what they want instead of spending billions on tanks, guns and bombs...   It's cheaper and more effective.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    launfall said:
    iCave said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:
    I am surprised that it took EU countries this long to enact these kinds of taxes. It’s common knowledge that Apple (with help from Ireland) took advantage of loopholes in international tax laws to reduce their tax burden. Of course, Apple has done nothing illegal, but it’s completely within each country’s rights to change tax laws to close those loopholes.
    3% tax is on gross revenue generated in that country (from digital services in this case), which seems perfectly reasonable.

This is a good interim measure at least until the whole of EU passes a common tax law. At some point, corporations need to realize that pitting one country against another to get favourable tax treatment (looking at you Ireland and Luxembourg) can only take you so far.

I love Apple (the company) to pieces but when it comes to taxation, it appears to use tax loopholes like any other corporation does.
    You seem to be forgetting that in the US every state competes with every other state to attract business: outright grants, favorable tax incentives, leasing state-owned land for a fraction of its value. Ireland and Luxembourg did nothing different from what Texas recently did for Apple, what numerous states have done to induce Toyota and Mercedes to open plants, mostly in states that have no labor unions. Where's your outrage?
    Your analogy is not quite correct:  Unlike Texas and the other states you mention, Ireland broke EU rules when they created a tax haven for Apple.

And, even here it is being addressed where a vendor in Texas can no longer sell stuff in NewYork on Amazon or EBay and avoid the New York sales tax they would otherwise have to pay.   I think that is a much closer analogy to the French Tax on services that are provided across national lines -- they're taxing them where they are being sold rather than where they originated.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    cat52 said:
    Abalos65 said:
    cat52 said:

Do you think that such an article is a solid argument that all the armies of the WHOLE of Europe cannot defend themselves? This kind of article is just clickbait for people to confirm their biases or preconceived ideas. 

So please spare us the talk of how this is evidence of anything. (Condescending, isn't it?)
    @Abalos65 - It's interesting when you come across an article which doesn't confirm your own bias, you are rather quick to dismiss it as "clickbait".  I guess that makes things easy...

For many people though, when they hear the German army is so poorly funded it cannot even conduct a military exercise without having to resort to using broomsticks, it's rather eye opening.

And given that Germany has the strongest economy in Europe, if even German soldiers don't have the funds to use real guns in NATO military exercises, then I'm not sure what other country you think is magically going to rush to Europe's defense if such a need arises.  The Flemish, perhaps?
    Just repeating the article again doesn't make it anymore convincing. You're still saying that because one time the German army had to use broomsticks Europe is not able to defend itself. I still call that a crappy argument. And this all the while I do think that armies in Europe should have larger budgets to comply with the 2% GDP agreement. Also, thank you for assuming my stance on the topic and pointing the finger back is also not childish at all.
  • Reply 89 of 170
    avon b7 said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:
    Where would the problem be? It's a decision each sovereign state must weigh up. And in this case it isn't 'Apple', it's companies that go above a specific limit.
    Taxing revenues is unheard of. And stupid. Only pre-tax profits are typically taxed. 

If a company like Walmart or GM were taxed at 3% of revenues, they’d have no profits left. This ill-advised EU move opens up a completely new front in a likely serious trade war. 

I predict they’ll have to back off. 
    Huh?   You don't pay sales tax?   Do you live in a cave somewhere?
    Groan... for the THIRD time now...

Read the friggin’ thread, man. 
      Idid....   I'm asking where's that cave you live in where you don't need to pay sales tax?
    The only cure for not understanding the difference between a corporate tax and a sales tax is.... I am afraid... a basic education. I honestly don’t know what else to say!
    cat52
  • Reply 90 of 170
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    iCave said:
    I'm not sure which country you are from, but looking at high quality health care and affordable education provided in most of the European Union, it bears evidence that high taxes, when used the right way, do pay social dividends.
    Complete baloney. The ONLY reason the EU has the social programs it has is because the EU members have NO military budgets to speak of. Instead the EU relies on the United States to protect it from the Russian Bear, the Middle East Islamic radicals. If the U.S. pulled out militarily from the EU and NATO those countries would have no choice but to dramatically increase their military budgets and those social programs would suffer big time. For over 70 years now the U.S. has spent its treasure to keep the peace in Europe.
    Now that is baloney. The absence of conflict in Europe is precisely because of the EU. 

As for external threats and U.S 'protection', simply pull out of NATO if it costs too much!

That won't happen because the U.S wants to keep its military bases in Europe. It wants to continue selling arms. It needs NATO allies. Without them (however 'small' their financial contribution) the Gulf wars would not have been possible and with so much debt, the U.S is rapidly approaching a point where it might have hardware to parade around but no be able to use in actual conflict. Wars are expensive.

I'll take a balanced welfare state over any of that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-nato-budget-is-funded-2018-7
    You're believing the spin from the Eurocrats I'm afraid, the EU has done NOTHING to prevent conflict in Europe.
    When Yugoslavia split and war broke out, including ethnic cleansing, it wasn't the EU that stopped it, it was NATO with the USA and UK at the forefront.
    As for the current ongoing war in the Ukraine, that's solely due to the EU courting the Ukraine to get them to join as part of their ongoing aggressive expansionist policy. Every observer pointed out that Russia would never allow Ukraine to join, but the EU persisted.
    Meanwhile there is civil unrest across Europe - weekly riots in France for months - and the rise of extremists on both left and right due to the EU's disasterous Euro policy. Economists warned back in the 90's that allowing countries with divergent economies to use a common currency would result in economic collapse, so rules were put in place to stop it. But when Eurocrats realised that Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy and France would fail the test and be excluded from the Euro, they decided to ignore their own rules. As a result they set in train the sovereign debt crisis that erupted in 2009 and is still ongoing. The reason they did this was simple to trap these countries in the EU, leaving after having adopted the Euro would be nearly impossible.

The USA and Canda should consider a mutual defence pact with a smaller set of countries - the UK and France account for nearly 50% of ALL of europe's military capability. In the long term, the like of Macron in France and the Eurocrats in Brussels want to undermine NATO and rely more on an EU Army. The hilarious thing is they don't want to fund it properly, for example, Germany's armed forces reduced to a token force with most ships, aircraft, and submarines unsable due to repairs being required.

You are mixing different things up.

Yugoslavia was not the EU and its problems were rooted in a completely non-EU world.

Peace and stability is very much one of the pillars of the EU and the vast majority of EU citizens are pro EU (and I'm including UK citizens here).

There are rules. Greece broke them (it lied) to join the euro. The consequences were hard to swallow but totally necessary. The blame lies - ultimately - with those who took Greece to where they did: its politicians. The world financial crisis also had roots. Do you remember where? The euro crisis was simply made worse by that but is now better prepared for future depressions. Of course, the U.S would have loved to see the euro fail.

There is no civil unrest in Europe. There were violent protests in a few places in France - and for a clear reason. They were not anti EU protests. This is nothing new for the French. Have you ever seen how they deal with Spanish tomatoes?

Do you really understand why some elements of the EU would like a unified EU controlled armed forces? It isn't hard to figure out and is nothing new. The EDC dates back to the fifties! At some point an alternative idea will get support and move forward. The U.S will not be happy when that happens.

Ukraine?

Ukraine wants to be rid of Russia as a threat. The only way that is going to happen is by joining the EU. We know the people of Ukraine are willing to give their lives to achieve their goals but first they must get their house in order and tackle corruption. The EU has a strategic interest in Ukraine and a pressing need to reduce its dependence on Russian energy. That is already in progress.

It's not 'euro spin' it's happening and people are supporting it in spite of populist movements peddling nationalistic manifests in most countries.

And for something weird, defence and EU related:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/14/jet-powered-flyboard-soars-over-paris-for-bastille-day-parade

It’s not surprising you’re confused if you quote and believe The Guardian newspaper!!!
    Yugoslavia wasn’t it the EU but the EU tried to stop the fighting the genocide by diplomatic means. It was up to NATO to stop it the only way possible, by military action. Afterwards after the fighting the EU was allowed in as a peacekeeping and policing force.

The EU knew the Greeks lied about their economy to pass the rules. Italy Spain, Portugal and France didn’t even have to lie, the EU just ignored its own rules. And Greece’s problems are nothing compared to what Italy has.
    The Eurozone crisis was an inevitability, a bomb waiting to go off at any time. It just happened to have been the drying up of liquidity in the international markets in 2008 that set it off. You should be thankful, if that hadn’t triggered it and the same issue had gone on for another 10 years then even Germany would hVe been bankrupted by it.

It may not be covered by the europhile media but there’s been weekly disturbances or riots by the yellow jackets for the last 34 weeks in Paris. And you obviously are ignorant of the rise of the AfD and waves of attacks against immigrants in Germany.

As for the Ukraine, if it ever does submit a membership application to the EU, Russian tanks will arrive in Kiev before the application arrives in Brussels.

And God help Europe if the EU thinks it can defend itself military without NATO. Only Poland would slow the Russians before they arrived at the French border. At the start of the year every single German submarine was broken, the majority of their air-force grounded, and their new frigates have to carry concrete ballast because the are top heavy with a 10 degree list to starboard. The German Tornadoes can’t fly at night because the lighting of the control panel interferes with their night vision:- an aircraft the RAF has already retired. And the German Defence Minister responsible for all this? She’s the new unelected EU Commission President!!!!

BTW that Bastille Day Parade you linked to? Well the yellow jackets took the opportunity for more civil unrest...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48983089
    edited July 2019 cat52anantksundaram
  • Reply 91 of 170
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:
    Where would the problem be? It's a decision each sovereign state must weigh up. And in this case it isn't 'Apple', it's companies that go above a specific limit.
    Taxing revenues is unheard of. And stupid. Only pre-tax profits are typically taxed. 

If a company like Walmart or GM were taxed at 3% of revenues, they’d have no profits left. This ill-advised EU move opens up a completely new front in a likely serious trade war. 

Idid....   I'm asking where's that cave you live in where you don't need to pay sales tax?
    I asked him yesterday what he thought the meaningful difference was.  He hasn't answered.  I suspect he doesn't have an answer.
    See my answer above, in Post #96.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 92 of 170

seanj said:
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    iCave said:
    I'm not sure which country you are from, but looking at high quality health care and affordable education provided in most of the European Union, it bears evidence that high taxes, when used the right way, do pay social dividends.
    Complete baloney. The ONLY reason the EU has the social programs it has is because the EU members have NO military budgets to speak of. Instead the EU relies on the United States to protect it from the Russian Bear, the Middle East Islamic radicals. If the U.S. pulled out militarily from the EU and NATO those countries would have no choice but to dramatically increase their military budgets and those social programs would suffer big time. For over 70 years now the U.S. has spent its treasure to keep the peace in Europe.
    Now that is baloney. The absence of conflict in Europe is precisely because of the EU. 

As for external threats and U.S 'protection', simply pull out of NATO if it costs too much!

That won't happen because the U.S wants to keep its military bases in Europe. It wants to continue selling arms. It needs NATO allies. Without them (however 'small' their financial contribution) the Gulf wars would not have been possible and with so much debt, the U.S is rapidly approaching a point where it might have hardware to parade around but no be able to use in actual conflict. Wars are expensive.

I'll take a balanced welfare state over any of that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-nato-budget-is-funded-2018-7
    You're believing the spin from the Eurocrats I'm afraid, the EU has done NOTHING to prevent conflict in Europe.
    When Yugoslavia split and war broke out, including ethnic cleansing, it wasn't the EU that stopped it, it was NATO with the USA and UK at the forefront.
    As for the current ongoing war in the Ukraine, that's solely due to the EU courting the Ukraine to get them to join as part of their ongoing aggressive expansionist policy. Every observer pointed out that Russia would never allow Ukraine to join, but the EU persisted.
    Meanwhile there is civil unrest across Europe - weekly riots in France for months - and the rise of extremists on both left and right due to the EU's disasterous Euro policy. Economists warned back in the 90's that allowing countries with divergent economies to use a common currency would result in economic collapse, so rules were put in place to stop it. But when Eurocrats realised that Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy and France would fail the test and be excluded from the Euro, they decided to ignore their own rules. As a result they set in train the sovereign debt crisis that erupted in 2009 and is still ongoing. The reason they did this was simple to trap these countries in the EU, leaving after having adopted the Euro would be nearly impossible.

The USA and Canda should consider a mutual defence pact with a smaller set of countries - the UK and France account for nearly 50% of ALL of europe's military capability. In the long term, the like of Macron in France and the Eurocrats in Brussels want to undermine NATO and rely more on an EU Army. The hilarious thing is they don't want to fund it properly, for example, Germany's armed forces reduced to a token force with most ships, aircraft, and submarines unsable due to repairs being required.

You are mixing different things up.

Yugoslavia was not the EU and its problems were rooted in a completely non-EU world.

Peace and stability is very much one of the pillars of the EU and the vast majority of EU citizens are pro EU (and I'm including UK citizens here).

There are rules. Greece broke them (it lied) to join the euro. The consequences were hard to swallow but totally necessary. The blame lies - ultimately - with those who took Greece to where they did: its politicians. The world financial crisis also had roots. Do you remember where? The euro crisis was simply made worse by that but is now better prepared for future depressions. Of course, the U.S would have loved to see the euro fail.

There is no civil unrest in Europe. There were violent protests in a few places in France - and for a clear reason. They were not anti EU protests. This is nothing new for the French. Have you ever seen how they deal with Spanish tomatoes?

Do you really understand why some elements of the EU would like a unified EU controlled armed forces? It isn't hard to figure out and is nothing new. The EDC dates back to the fifties! At some point an alternative idea will get support and move forward. The U.S will not be happy when that happens.

Ukraine?

Ukraine wants to be rid of Russia as a threat. The only way that is going to happen is by joining the EU. We know the people of Ukraine are willing to give their lives to achieve their goals but first they must get their house in order and tackle corruption. The EU has a strategic interest in Ukraine and a pressing need to reduce its dependence on Russian energy. That is already in progress.

It's not 'euro spin' it's happening and people are supporting it in spite of populist movements peddling nationalistic manifests in most countries.

And for something weird, defence and EU related:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/14/jet-powered-flyboard-soars-over-paris-for-bastille-day-parade

It’s not surprising you’re confused if you quote and believe The Guardian newspaper!!!
    Yugoslavia wasn’t it the EU but the EU tried to stop the fighting the genocide by diplomatic means. It was up to NATO to stop it the only way possible, by military action. Afterwards after the fighting the EU was allowed in as a peacekeeping and policing force.

The EU knew the Greeks lied about their economy to pass the rules. Italy Spain, Portugal and France didn’t even have to lie, the EU just ignored its own rules. And Greece’s problems are nothing compared to what Italy has.
    The Eurozone crisis was an inevitability, a bomb waiting to go off at any time. It just happened to have been the drying up of liquidity in the international markets in 2008 that set it off. You should be thankful, if that hadn’t triggered it and the same issue had gone on for another 10 years then even Germany would hVe been bankrupted by it.

It may not be covered by the europhile media but there’s been weekly disturbances or riots by the yellow jackets for the last 34 weeks in Paris. And you obviously are ignorant of the rise of the AfD and waves of attacks against immigrants in Germany.

As for the Ukraine, if it ever does submit a membership application to the EU, Russian tanks will arrive in Kiev before the application arrives in Brussels.

And God help Europe if the EU thinks it can defend itself military without NATO. Only Poland would slow the Russians before they arrived at the French border. At the start of the year every single German submarine was broken, the majority of their air-force grounded, and their new frigates have to carry concrete ballast because the are top heavy with a 10 degree list to starboard. The German Tornadoes can’t fly at night because the lighting of the control panel interferes with their night vision:- an aircraft the RAF has already retired. And the German Defence Minister responsible for all this? She’s the new unelected EU Commission President!!!!

BTW that Bastille Day Parade you linked to? Well the yellow jackets took the opportunity for more civil unrest...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48983089
    I’d love to see the EU reaction if the US announced that it was walking out of NATO.

Damn, I would.
    cat52
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Abalos65 said:
    cat52 said:

Germany had very low operational readiness and the strongest economy.  Only the UK and France have decent operational readiness.

When the EU deploys, excepting the UK and France, it’s in terms of hundreds of troops.  It’s not just the lack of pointy end of the spear but also logistics and support.
    cat52Carnage
  • Reply 94 of 170

avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:

Here it is (my bold):

Europe means EU!

While I agree with you,  I think, with regard to Russia, you are both missing the reason why they would not attack Europe:  Russia is now run by a bunch of capitalistic oligarch's (led by Putin) who are more interested in personal wealth than nationalistic expansion.    They are more likely to use tactics like they used in Britain to insure the Brexit vote went their way and here in 2016 to insure that our election went their way than to send tanks and planes.   They didn't even officially send their military into Ukraine -- it was all covert stuff and "volunteers".   They have a military and will use it when they need it (like in Syria), but otherwise they are just your typical Russian Oligarch/mobsters....

Bascally, they'll attack a country using social media to get what they want instead of spending billions on tanks, guns and bombs...   It's cheaper and more effective.
    The folks in Donbas and Syria were Russian troops masquerading as “contractors”.  Contractors don’t get access to top if the line air defense vehicles and tanks.  The Russian invasion of Georgia was done by front line troops...poorly...but the forces that went into the Ukraine was a lot better trained and organized.

You are such a genius.
    cat52
  • Reply 95 of 170
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:

Here it is (my bold):

Europe means EU!

You are a super genius.

First, the PRC outspends the entirety of the EU so you aren’t #2. Second, the EU pads defense spending with things that NATO typically doesn’t count and finally the 2% number, which you guys don’t even reach, doesn’t mean that’s enough for an actual fighting force especially piecemealed all over Europe.  What it does mean is a bunch of paper armies that are ill equipped, poorly trained and not operational.  Hence Germans with broomsticks and hanger queens for fighter aircraft.

Cyberwarfare is something you know nothing about and has existed since the middle of the Cold War.  As soon as we had computers and networks we had cyber war.
    cat52
  • Reply 96 of 170
    crowley said:
    1. Apple get criticised
    2. Wah!  Stop criticing Apple and change the laws!
    3. Laws get changed
    4. Wah!  How dare you change the laws, this is discriminatory against Apple!

So tiresome, you lot.

So why the fuck are you even here, posting and reading, if it is tiresome?

cat52
  • Reply 97 of 170
    cat52 said:
    Abalos65 said:
    cat52 said:
    Abalos65 said:
    cat52 said:

@Abalos65 - It's interesting when you come across an article which doesn't confirm your own bias, you are rather quick to dismiss it as "clickbait".  I guess that makes things easy...

For many people though, when they hear the German army is so poorly funded it cannot even conduct a military exercise without having to resort to using broomsticks, it's rather eye opening.

And given that Germany has the strongest economy in Europe, if even German soldiers don't have the funds to use real guns in NATO military exercises, then I'm not sure what other country you think is magically going to rush to Europe's defense if such a need arises.  The Flemish, perhaps?
    Just repeating the article again doesn't make it anymore convincing. You're still saying that because one time the German army had to use broomsticks Europe is not able to defend itself. I still call that a crappy argument. And this all the while I do think that armies in Europe should have larger budgets to comply with the 2% GDP agreement. Also, thank you for assuming my stance on the topic and pointing the finger back is also not childish at all.
    On an internet forum I'm not going to take an hour to write a post.  Internet forums are meant for quick little snippets of info.

But if you must know, a friend of mine is a former member of the Swedish Special Protection Group, which is similar to the US's Rangers.

Him and I have had long conversations about Europe's military preparedness, and in his opinion, both Sweden as well as Europe as a whole have cut their military budgets to such a point where they're basically a joke.

And the article I posted about the German army having to use broomsticks in a NATO military exercise, is a prime example of just what a joke the European military now is.

You are free to think such an article is "clickbait", and you are free to think the Europeans are capable of defending themselves from a conventional Russian military attack.  But people who are much closer to the European military scene than I presume you are, tend to differ.

"A friend of my said" -some random forum person
    The arguments keep getting more and more convincing.

The article you linked was not for just for 'quick info'. It was used for a cheap shot at Europe's different armies to make the point that it cannot defend itself, as you assert again in this response. I can just as easily link a Youtube video of US Army fails and make the same crappy/incorrect argument. You can say that it is just an internet forum, so I should lower myself to that kind of discourse. I won't.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 98 of 170
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:

Here it is (my bold):

Europe means EU!

You are a super genius.

First, the PRC outspends the entirety of the EU so you aren’t #2. Second, the EU pads defense spending with things that NATO typically doesn’t count and finally the 2% number, which you guys don’t even reach, doesn’t mean that’s enough for an actual fighting force especially piecemealed all over Europe.  What it does mean is a bunch of paper armies that are ill equipped, poorly trained and not operational.  Hence Germans with broomsticks and hanger queens for fighter aircraft.

Cyberwarfare is something you know nothing about and has existed since the middle of the Cold War.  As soon as we had computers and networks we had cyber war.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/593791/EPRS_BRI(2016)593791_EN.pdf

"In 2015, the EU Member States collectively spent €203 billion on defence.4 Together they are thus the world's second largest military spender after the USA"

You don't know what I know about cyberwarfare and in the middle of the Cold War (where your mindset seems to be entrenched) it wasn't one of the pillars of defence strategy as it is today. That was my point.

As for German broomsticks. Read up and post back when you understand what was actually claimed and reported.

edited July 2019
  • Reply 99 of 170
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    iCave said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:

3% of revenue sounds small but it might be 25% of profits. 

Theres already a sales tax for digital goods in the EU, its called VAT and it is pretty significant. 20% or so.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/buying-goods-services-online-personal-use/buying-services/electronically-supplied-services_en

The problem is that VAT is supposedly directly a tax on the consumer, so even if digital sales tax (VAT) cost the consumers of Apple products a few billion a year and gains the French tax authorities a few billion a year,  it isn't taken from Apple's profits, which are declared in the US and Ireland.  Thats standard for corporation tax. 

What France is claiming here is tax that would otherwise be due where the IP os made or owned, the US or Ireland.  This is a pretty unique tax and goes against most of the post war agreements on tax. It is reducing the tax take of producing countries, and letting them be garnished by the consuming countries. I bet China will also be annoyed by this.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 100 of 170
    avon b7 said:
    roake said:
    pjs_socal said:

The only cure for not understanding the difference between a corporate tax and a sales tax is.... I am afraid... a basic education. I honestly don’t know what else to say!
     I know the difference between a corporate income tax and a sales tax (f that's what you meant).
    But you still haven't answered the question that  I and others have asked:   What cave do you live in where you don't pay a tax on sales?