DuckDuckGo announces new Apple MapKit fueled search improvements

Posted:
in General Discussion
Search provider DuckDuckGo is dramatically expanding their use of Apple Maps for better searching with the same commitment to privacy.

DuckDuckGo utilizes Apple MapKit JS to improve search features

Privacy-centric DuckDuckGo has released a set of updates they've made to their search engine utilizing Apple's MapKit JS framework.

There is now a dedicated "maps" tab in DuckDuckGo for all queries, rather than queries that the engine had determined to be map related. This allows users to search an ambiguous query such as "cupcakes" or "coffee" and easily find a list of bakeries and coffee shops without re-entering a more specific search term.

Searching now allows users to stay in the expanded map view with each additional search. Prior to this, when re-querying a search like "restaurant," the engine would return the user to a regular search page. Panning and zooming on a map page will also enable users to update the search only within the field of view for more refined searching.

Local autocomplete narrows down searches

DuckDuckGo has also introduced local autocomplete. Users who search in the expanded map view will now be dynamically shown suggestions based on the area displayed on their device, rather than a general list of places that match the user's query.

DuckDuckGo dark mode map

Lastly, DuckDuckGo has introduced dark mode to their maps as well, citing that it offers a more coherent look to their engine, in addition to offering users the ability to partake in "glare-free searching at night."

DuckDuckGo is one of the first global companies using Apple MapKit JS.

DuckDuckGo has continued to assure users that their privacy is first and foremost when using their service, as data protection has become a growing concern in recent years. Not only have companies like DuckDuckGo taken up the mantle to protect users data, Apple itself has begun highlighting its stance on user protection.
roundaboutnowflyingdpStrangeDayswatto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I keep hoping Apple will make their own mapping webpage available.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Current iPhone version : 7.23.0.0
  • Reply 3 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Boy does it make me happy seeing a secure service use Apple Maps. I hope more people jump on board as the Google backlash continues.

Just a few weeks ago DuckDuckGos maps were switching between Apple and Bing awkwardly. Looks like it's all Apple now.
    StrangeDayscat52lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 21
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    Soli said:
    I keep hoping Apple will make their own mapping webpage available.
    Agreed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I tried switching to DDG as my default search engine on my iPhone earlier this year and gave it a month. I really wanted to like it but I ended up going back to Google. I found DDG’s results to be very US focused and since I don’t live in the US a lot of the results weren’t relevant to me. I don’t use any of Google’s other services except YouTube and search. I really want DDG to get better so I can ditch Google for good, so I’m pleased they’re still improving. I’ll give them another try later in the year. I think Apple will end up snapping up DDG. It’s also a terrible name for a search engine, here’s hoping for Apple Search one day!
    cat52lolliverpropodwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    I tried switching to DDG as my default search engine on my iPhone earlier this year and gave it a month. I really wanted to like it but I ended up going back to Google. I found DDG’s results to be very US focused and since I don’t live in the US a lot of the results weren’t relevant to me. I don’t use any of Google’s other services except YouTube and search. I really want DDG to get better so I can ditch Google for good, so I’m pleased they’re still improving. I’ll give them another try later in the year. I think Apple will end up snapping up DDG. It’s also a terrible name for a search engine, here’s hoping for Apple Search one day!
    You can always use a bang to have it jump you over to Google if you feel like you’re not finding the result you want, if you wanted to keep it as your default search still. Just do “underwater basket weaving !g” 

For those don’t know about the bang shortcuts, there are tons of the, of them, !yt for YouTube, !w for Wikipedia, etc:

https://duckduckgo.com/bang
    cat52Rayz2016FileMakerFellerPanamaniaklolliverroundaboutnowmarkbritonpropodAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    You gotta admit their name (DuckDuckGo) is "funny". From the Sunshine Boys: "Fifty-seven years in this business [Vaudeville], you learn a few things. You know what words are funny and which words are not funny. Alka Seltzer is funny. You say 'Alka Seltzer' you get a laugh ... Words with 'k' in them are funny. Casey Stengel, that's a funny name. Robert Taylor is not funny. Cupcake is funny. Tomato is not funny. Cookie is funny. Cucumber is funny. Car keys. Cleveland ... Cleveland is funny. Maryland is not funny. Then, there's chicken. Chicken is funny. Pickle is funny. Cab is funny. Cockroach is funny – not if you get 'em, only if you say 'em."

"Duck" is funny. It's got a "k" and the "d" is also a harsh consonant. One experiment told the same joke with different animals as the objects in the story, and ducks always rated the funniest.

"Microsoft" is funny. "Apple" is not.

cat52pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The theory is that's because when you pronounce a "k" sound your mouth stretches wide and is very similar to a smile or to the beginning of a hearty laugh.
    cat52AppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    GoDuckGo!

Seeing as how Google deleted the "Don't" out of "Don't be evil," I switched to DuckDuckGo a year or so ago and will once in a while use Google if I'm not having any luck with DDG, but at least half the time I don't have any luck with Google, either.
    cat52lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    borpsborps Posts: 28member
    I found DDG’s results to be very US focused and since I don’t live in the US a lot of the results weren’t relevant to me. 
    There’s a little flag icon with a toggle switch for the country your IP address originates from, switch it on and you’ll get results more relevant to your location. 
    lolliverfastasleepjpmorgan5151AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    The theory is that's because when you pronounce a "k" sound your mouth stretches wide and is very similar to a smile or to the beginning of a hearty laugh.
    In that case you must predict that this is also true in all other languages. But there is no proof of that. Not yet.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 12 of 21
    You can always use a bang to have it jump you over to Google if you feel like you’re not finding the result you want, if you wanted to keep it as your default search still. Just do “underwater basket weaving !g” 

For those don’t know about the bang shortcuts, there are tons of the, of them, !yt for YouTube, !w for Wikipedia, etc:

borps said:
    I found DDG’s results to be very US focused and since I don’t live in the US a lot of the results weren’t relevant to me. 
    There’s a little flag icon with a toggle switch for the country your IP address originates from, switch it on and you’ll get results more relevant to your location. 

Thanks for the tips. I have switched to DDG as the default search engine on my iPhone, but the results were not as relevant as Google's were. I'll try these 2 and see.

I'm still soldiering on with DDG, though. I'm trying to quit the Google monkey on my back!

edited July 2019 propodAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Sorry, but I don't use DDG because its results just aren't as good as Google's. They're my second choice, but when I need immediate, relevant results, I turn to Google.

As for this article, it doesn't fill me with confidence. I stopped trying to help with Apple Maps. I've tried submitting updates to tell them some places don't exist and never have. They ignored me, probably because their Googling brought up a Yelp page somebody submitted with no actual information on it. Hey, if it's on Yelp, it must be real, right?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I tried switching to DDG as my default search engine on my iPhone earlier this year...

I’ve never heard of this before, thanks!
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Sorry, but I don't use DDG because its results just aren't as good as Google's. They're my second choice, but when I need immediate, relevant results, I turn to Google.

As for this article, it doesn't fill me with confidence. I stopped trying to help with Apple Maps. I've tried submitting updates to tell them some places don't exist and never have. They ignored me, probably because their Googling brought up a Yelp page somebody submitted with no actual information on it. Hey, if it's on Yelp, it must be real, right?
    They've fixed everything I've submitted.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I think DuckDuckGo is a terrible name when "Google it" is a thing.

"Apple Search" is also terrible.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hrguyhrguy Posts: 24member

I think DuckDuckGo is a terrible name when "Google it" is a thing.

"Apple Search" is also terrible.
    That is why, of course, they will call it Finder  :p
  • Reply 18 of 21

Same here. It might take a day or two but all my mapping suggestions have been taken on board in regional Australia. 

I completely switched to Apple Maps and DDG more than a few years ago. Don’t miss google at all which is good because I detest google/Facebook/amazon 🤮
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 19 of 21

Good for you. They accepted some of my submissions, but others remain unfixed months later, even after I submitted fixes twice. But, hey, if they don't care, then why should I?
  • Reply 20 of 21

Good for you. They accepted some of my submissions, but others remain unfixed months later, even after I submitted fixes twice. But, hey, if they don't care, then why should I?
    They do care. We know they're rolling out massive updates to Maps and continually improving it, this is all well documented. If you feel like they're missing your submissions, submit them again.