I replaced my Mac with my iPad Pro for a week -- here's how it went

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    One of the main reasons for repairing your ailing Macbook Pro was so you could use "external monitors". This was not even tested on the iPad Pro?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 46
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    philhyde said:
    One of the main reasons for repairing your ailing Macbook Pro was so you could use "external monitors". This was not even tested on the iPad Pro?
    I don't think an iPad can use external monitors beyond simply mirroring the display. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from a design standpoint, that's not what they're designed for and adding the capability would add significant cost, silicon and power consumption, so it doesn't really make sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    philhyde said:
    We have discussed doing so at some length previously. And, for the most part on the iPad Pro, a second monitor isn't a desktop extension, it is a mirror. This may change depending on what developers get up to in iPad OS, but as of yet, there's not much.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 46
    igmxigmx Posts: 6member
    The software available for the iPad is still not up to par with that for the Mac. Microsoft’s iOS-based Office suite has serious limitations as do most of Adobe’s products. The gap is being closed it’s true (Adobe’s announcement of a soon-to-be-released full Photoshop version for iOS will be interesting) but it’s still a significant gap for all but the simplest of tasks. That said, I’ve adapted my working style and stopped carrying my MacBook Pro around quite a while ago as the iPad Pro covers most of what I need to do during the day (consulting work - heavy on email, note taking and researching) while having a better battery life and 4G internet access. I rely on the mighty 27” 5K iMac at home to do my photograph processing, sound engineering and video work along with working with complex Excel and Word files. The MacBook Pro rarely gets a run. Obviously, everyone works differently and not everyone can adapt as readily as I have. The best thing about current and future technology is the choices available and their interoperability which is constantly improving.
    It’s hard to take your comment seriously when you think Adobe has any “real apps” for iPad. Maybe try to look beyond the Adobe pond and you’ll see Affinity has created two apps that arguably work better than their Adobe counterparts. No one will ever be happy with an iPad if they insist on making It run like a desktop/laptop computer.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Shortcuts by Apple

Gadgeteer said:
    Can you talk a little more about the file renaming that you had to do for your articles. Is there a way to automatically rename a group of files to have the same prefix with an incremental number? Like iphone-1, iphone-2, iphone-3, etc?
    Here’s the IOS APP. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shortcuts/id915249334
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

crowley said:
    talexy said:
    Whow. This sounds like a seriously beaten up Macbook Pro. And it can't be older than 4 years, given you mentioned the USB-C port. Either the quality of the latest MBP line is really not that good, or your way of handling it is pretty rough.

I thought the same thing.  USB ports coming loose?  My 6 year old MacBook Air hasn't had anything like that litany of problems.  Going some way to putting me off upgrading.
    It’s easy to mess up present day ports on any device. Sadly, the rush to small and cheap has lead to tiny ports and plugs that are not really made for heavy use insofar as plugging and unplugging is concerned. Additionally, pulling on cables weakens and loosens them too. I’ve seem people pick up drives with a short cable attached that picks the end of the computer up with it before they realize they’ve done it. That damages the cable and port.

in the “Old” days of computing, ports were large, sturdy metal, as were connectors, with screws used to secure them. The ports were attached to the frame of the device with screws in addition to being soldered to a board.

I'm not surprised that someone doing what he does for a living has damaged his computer after 4 years. I’m surprised it lasted this long,  because those problems with ports usually indicate lack of care in handling a device. And a lot of people who consider their devices to just be “tools” treat them that way, though many don’t realize they’re doing it.

The other thing I noticed was that his video chip started failing. What??? 

This is another reason why I miss the MagSafe for charging. It was simply a better connector that was designed for charging, rather than using a connector that is just capable of chagring, like USB C

melgross said:

rcfa said:
    i(Pad)OS has a long way to go for any serious work.
    e.g. can’t inspect/edit e-mail addresses when composing e-mail, and one has to be extremely careful not to use the wrong e-mail addresses, since autocomplete easily picks the wrong one.

Text selection, copy/paste are a PITA

These are just examples, but in essence i*OS devices remain information consumption devices like TVs, not content creation devices like computers.
    What kind of “inspecting” do you need to do? Tapping on a name in the address field gives you the address. Tapping on the “I” gives you the entire contact. What else are you needing?

text selection isn’t equal, but it’s not bad. Maybe you’re still using iOS 12, because 13 does make an improvement, from my experience.
    Mail for iOS is not on par with Mail for MacOS and there are many things you cannot do on an iPad. Showing headers and text bullets are two examples off the top fo my head.

A few years ago I tried to use my 12" iPad Pro as a replacement for my iPad Air and I gave up after a month. I could get most stuff I needed to done, but much of it was more difficult, cumbersome and inefficient. iOS has made significant strides since then and I think it's closer now - very close. I wish Apple had made the push to get iOS (or iPadOS) up to snuff sooner. The hardware has been ready much before the software was.
    All talk about the ipad must now include iPadOS and iOS 13, which by itself, improves the experience.

talking about what the iPad was years ago is now meaningless. We can go and talk about System 1, or OS X 1.0. But why? Let’s concentrate on the new iPadOS, which itself is version .8, not even 1.0.

if you mistake the things you’re mistaking, you’ll never get anywhere. No one is saying that the iPad does exactly what the Mac does, or that it’s equal in every way. It’s not, and people have to get over that. If they can’t, it’s their problem. Like it or not, I can do most of  what I do on a Mac, on my ipad. With iPadOS, it’s easier than ever before.

thats Win 10 matters. If you have problems understanding that they are different, then you’ll never use it effectively, because you’ll be constantly complaining on what it doesn’t do, rather than what it does do.
    Yes, and I can do almost everything on my Windows 10 laptop that I can do on my Mac.  The question though is not IF but how well & how easily -- and if any limitations are intrinsic or fixable.
    I don’t believe that Apple ever intended for anyone to use an iPad the way they do a Mac. In fact, I’m sure of it. Peop,e get hung up on things that they should be smarter about. An iPad is not a Mac. You need a Mac, buy one. You don’t need one, don’t buy one. I don’t get the problem here.

Two things wrong with that:
    1)   Apple seems to be artificially restricting the iPad from using a mouse -- probably to protect the MacBook line
    2)  If they didn't want the iPad to be compared to or to compete with computers they should not have advertised them that way.  "What's a computer?"

Not everybody can afford two machines and not everybody wants to lug two machines around when one should do both jobs.
    I doubt if Apple is trying to protect the Macbook line. These are very different computers, running very different software. Apple sells far more iPads than MacBooks. If they increased ipad sales by 10% because of this, particularly for the iPad Pro 12.9”, then that increase would equal the entire Macbook sales for the year.

my Watch is a computer too. A computer is anything g that computes. People love to only assume that what they want to use as being a genuine thing, and everything else isn’t. That’s just not true. Apple is 100% correct in saying that the ipad is a computer.

the capabilities of computers is a moving target. I can do vastly more with my ipad than I could do with my PowerMac. People just have to grow up about this.

over a billion people have one computer that does everything for them—it’s called a smartphone. A very large percentage could use an ipad instead.
    MplsPwatto_cobra