Video demonstrates Hackintosh potential, but still isn't the Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that these neckbeards cobble together a gizmo that nears the performance of the Mac Pro with similar specs. [...]
    You’re calling Linus a neckbeard? Does that term not actually require a neck beard anymore??
    1) Linus uses macOS with off the shelf HW, not Linux? Can you back that up?

2) I don't see anyone referring to him as "neck" anything.

<snipped pic>
    You've posted an image of Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, not Linus Sebastian, creator of Linus Tech Tips.

The term "neckbeard" used to be literally applicable to a certain type of computer enthusiast, describing what was viewed as poor grooming habits. These days, poor grooming habits remain but are somewhat different to those in evidence when the term was originally applied. So, no, you don't need to actually have a beard to be described as a "neckbeard" any more.
    1STnTENDERBITSgatorguyfastasleepmdriftmeyeravon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 56

Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Wasn't the home brew clubs of the late '70's and early '80's a important part of Apple's success in the early days? Both Steve's participated in these organizations if I recall. I think that there is a market that Apple continues to ignore. I remember the days of xlr8yourmac.com and all the crazy things that went on over there. I totally agree with Redhotfuzz when he states-
    "What I do want/need is the sub-$2,000 PowerMac of yesteryear."
    Why won't Apple test this potential market? I would bet money that the return on investment would be greater than the AirPower...
    Sure maybe it is a "toy" but to each his/her own.
    You're in luck! You oddballs can find yourself an old PPC-based PowerMac "of yesteryear" on eBay for considerably less than $2k.
    I have the Intel "cheese-grater". Just want to see what would happen if Apple addressed this niche market.
    I can tell you that. If Apple went after the niche market of PPC enthusiasts who want a tower PC they wouldn't sell enough to make back their investment.
    I think it's more accurate to say that Apple believes that they wouldn't get a large enough return on their investment to justify making that product. They've got plenty of data to justify their choice to themselves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 56
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that these neckbeards cobble together a gizmo that nears the performance of the Mac Pro with similar specs. [...]
    You’re calling Linus a neckbeard? Does that term not actually require a neck beard anymore??
    What? Is he some kind of techie god to you? He’s a YouTube asshole who makes money creating videos in which he claims to be an expert on everything. He claims he can always do it better, faster than anyone else and his target is usually Apple. Why Apple? Because assholes like him make lots of money trashing Apple on YouTube.
    Good lord you're full of it, aren't you?  He's got 4,600+ videos.  Go see how many are about Apple.  As Apple would say, "a very small percentage."  Careful... your bias is showing. Again.
    1STnTENDERBITSgatorguyavon b7MplsPchemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Wasn't the home brew clubs of the late '70's and early '80's a important part of Apple's success in the early days? Both Steve's participated in these organizations if I recall. I think that there is a market that Apple continues to ignore. I remember the days of xlr8yourmac.com and all the crazy things that went on over there. I totally agree with Redhotfuzz when he states-
    Why won't Apple test this potential market? I would bet money that the return on investment would be greater than the AirPower...
    You're in luck! You oddballs can find yourself an old PPC-based PowerMac "of yesteryear" on eBay for considerably less than $2k.
    I have the Intel "cheese-grater". Just want to see what would happen if Apple addressed this niche market.
    I can tell you that. If Apple went after the niche market of PPC enthusiasts who want a tower PC they wouldn't sell enough to make back their investment.
    I think they would sell like hot cakes. The problem is that the iMac would suffer as a result.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>
    You've posted an image of Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, not Linus Sebastian, creator of Linus Tech Tips.

The term "neckbeard" used to be literally applicable to a certain type of computer enthusiast, describing what was viewed as poor grooming habits. These days, poor grooming habits remain but are somewhat different to those in evidence when the term was originally applied. So, no, you don't need to actually have a beard to be described as a "neckbeard" any more.
    Pretty much says all you need to know about the cultists, doesn't it?  Stay in the compound and don't look outside.  Not knowing which Linus, really?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

2) I don't see anyone referring to him as "neck" anything.  [incorrect pic removed]
    Wrong Linus.  Should probably remove the picture.  Krupp's first sentence is yammering about neckbeards.  How did you not see it?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 27 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

My bad. I came into the thread midway and had been talking Torvalds earlier. I saw Linus and neckbeard so jumped on an attempt at a humorous comment.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    I think they would sell like hot cakes. The problem is that the iMac would suffer as a result.
    You think PPC-based Macs would sell? OK. Even the Mac Pro never sold that well and the new one still won't sell that well. They'll sell everyone they make but "hot cakes" never has been nor will be how we define the sales of a Mac tower with any HW architecture.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

My bad, but my point still holds regarding a Linux user who is desperate to use macOS.
    I think you need to go watch some Linus Tech Tips videos and come back before you look even more foolish.  I'd say he leans more towards Windows and the majority of his 4.600 videos have nothing to do with Apple so he's hardly "desperate to use macOS."  He and his crew do it because they can and it's an interesting techie thing to try, along with a lot of other weird tinkering they sometimes try (and fail) with other products.
    1STnTENDERBITSchemengin1
  • Reply 30 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

My bad, but my point still holds regarding a Linux user who is desperate to use macOS.
    I think you need to go watch some Linus Tech Tips videos and come back before you look even more foolish.  I'd say he leans more towards Windows and the majority of his 4.600 videos have nothing to do with Apple so he's hardly "desperate to use macOS."  He and his crew do it because they can and it's an interesting techie thing to try, along with a lot of other weird tinkering they sometimes try (and fail) with other products.
    Everyone called Linus has to use Linux, apparently.  It's in their contract.
    fastasleep1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 31 of 56
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Redundant Wrong Linus Post™
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Eventually, the lack of a T2 chip and its successors will prevent MacOS from running on all hackintoshes.  
    edited July 2019 mdriftmeyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mobird said:
    Soli said
    No actually, you can't tell me that. Your reference to "PPC enthusiasts/tower PC" explains enough though.
    How about those ROI's for AirPower?
    I'm done.
    ROI for AirPower would be excellent - lots of people across all spectrums wanted or would use one. Especially normals.  
    tht
  • Reply 34 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Wrong again. I know you’re clueless about Apple and how they work, but they have no problem cannibalizing their own products. Too many quotes and examples to educate you with.  
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

1) Oh, they do because they can and yet you are arguing that Apple needs to make a special Mac… for Linux users? That makes perfect sense. :eyeroll:

2) It's amazing how you people can be so hateful of a company while at the same time begging that they offer more ways to include you, especially at their own expense.

3) While I usually don't care to see Apple close doors on any users—even the Hackintosh community—in this case I can't wait for them to make macOS secure enough that their T-series chip forces the "Mac Sux Linux Rulz" jump through hopes to install the OS. I remember when building a Hackintosh took actual talent, not just buying some off the shelf HW for which there were plenty of decent drivers written.
    edited July 2019 pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

1) Oh, they do because they can and yet you are arguing that Apple needs to make a special Mac… for Linux users? That makes perfect sense. :eyeroll:

2) It's amazing how you people can be so hateful of a company while at the same time begging that they offer more ways to include you, especially at their own expense.

3) While I usually don't care to see Apple close doors on any users—even the Hackintosh community—in this case I can't wait for them to make macOS secure enough that their T-series chip forces the "Mac Sux Linux Rulz" jump through actual hopes to install the OS. I remember when building a Hackintosh took actual talent, not just buying some off the shelf HW for which there were plenty of decent drivers written.
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote slowly and carefully.

1) What the hell?  I have never said that.  Ever.  You still seem confused about people named Linus and their relationship to Linux.  I can't solve that synaptic disconnect for you.  I'm sorry.  Perhaps a neurologist would be beneficial to you.

2) I'm a customer.  Voicing what I'd prefer and want is perfectly acceptable.  They can listen if there are enough of us ... or not.  [email protected] is a valid email address.  You don't get to tell me what products I, or anyone, should like or dislike.  You want to piss away your hard earned cash on sealed units when a minor upgrade down the road could add years to it, hey, go for it.  There once was room for both options.

3) The Hackintosh has very little to do with Linux.  You seem to think Linux is somehow "under" what is running a hackintosh.  While some can run macOS in a VM with Linux as a host (that was the way they first did it in the video), it typically isn't done that way.  Hackintoshes talk directly to the hardware as if they were a Mac.  They probably have inspiration for the bootloader from Linux, but once that awesome macOS starts, it is macOS.  Had you made it 25% into the video, you'd know this.  I can't help you with your attention span either.  Sorry.
    1STnTENDERBITSMplsPchemengin1
  • Reply 37 of 56
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

3) While I usually don't care to see Apple close doors on any users—even the Hackintosh community—in this case I can't wait for them to make macOS secure enough that their T-series chip forces the "Mac Sux Linux Rulz" jump through actual hopes to install the OS. I remember when building a Hackintosh took actual talent, not just buying some off the shelf HW for which there were plenty of decent drivers written.

1) What the hell?  I have never said that.  Ever.  You still seem confused about people named Linus and their relationship to Linux.  I can't solve that synaptic disconnect for you.  I'm sorry.  Perhaps a neurologist would be beneficial to you.

2) I'm a customer.  Voicing what I'd prefer and want is perfectly acceptable.  They can listen if there are enough of us ... or not.  [email protected] is a valid email address.  You don't get to tell me what products I, or anyone, should like or dislike.  You want to piss away your hard earned cash on sealed units when a minor upgrade down the road could add years to it, hey, go for it.  There once was room for both options.

3) The Hackintosh has very little to do with Linux.  You seem to think Linux is somehow "under" what is running a hackintosh.  While some can run macOS in a VM with Linux as a host (that was the way they first did it in the video), it typically isn't done that way.  Hackintoshes talk directly to the hardware as if they were a Mac.  They probably have inspiration for the bootloader from Linux, but once that awesome macOS starts, it is macOS.  Had you made it 25% into the video, you'd know this.  I can't help you with your attention span either.  Sorry.
    Not only do you keep making that claim you whined about it in your next “point”.

Oh, you can like or dislike any product you want, but it’s odd that you want to send messages to Apple bitching about how they don’t make it easier to steal their OS and don’t sell you the exact, bargain basement casing that you personally desire.

Most people weigh a product’s utility against its cost, usually comparing it to other options, then decide whether to buy. Most don’t throw tantrums and claim that a for-profit company designing, building, and selling products they believe will yield the highest return in a free market unfair…  but you do you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

You should stop brother.  Soli probably still thinks Torvald's and Sebastian are the same Linus.  At some point he'll realize that he's the only person talking about Linux... and that he actually brought it up.  By that point, the universe will have ended in heat death.  You're literally in a conversation with a guy who has no clue what's going on in the conversation.
    mobirdMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

Not only do you keep making that claim you whined about it in your next “point”.

Oh, you can like or dislike any product you want, but it’s odd that you want to send messages to Apple bitching about how they don’t make it easier to steal their OS and don’t sell you the exact, bargain basement casing that you personally desire.

Most people weigh a product’s utility against its cost, usually comparing it to other options, then decide whether to buy. Most don’t throw tantrums and claim that a for-profit company designing, building, and selling products they believe will yield the highest return in a free market unfair…  but you do you.
    What are you talking about?  Where did I say I was sending messages about Hackintoshes to Apple at that address?  That would be stupid.  I can send emails saying, "hey, I'd like more expandable Macs..."  I note you have a tendency to imagine things and put words in people's mouths.  Please stop.

I'm perfectly calm and no where near throwing a tantrum.  I am voicing opinions and my preferences.  I know it is difficult for a cult of Apple member such as yourself to understand that opinions and preferences are not attacks against the master.
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 40 of 56
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

<snipped pic>

You should stop brother.  Soli probably still thinks Torvald's and Sebastian are the same Linus.  At some point he'll realize that he's the only person talking about Linux... and that he actually brought it up.  By that point, the universe will have ended in heat death.  You're literally in a conversation with a guy who has no clue what's going on in the conversation.
    ...he seems to bring things up that I said that I never said or meant.  It's like I'm watching a fiction novel being written about myself.  I should just give him my password so he can carry on arguing with... "me."  It'd be quite a time saver!
    1STnTENDERBITSchemengin1