Apple previews 'holding hands,' other emoji updates planned for this fall

Posted:
in iPhone
Using World Emoji Day as the excuse, Apple on Tuesday previewed some of the emoji it will be adding to iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and macOS in supporting Unicode 12.0.

Unicode 12.0

One "major" update will be to the "holding hands" emoji, Apple said. People will be able to mix and match any combination of gender and skin color to represent different relationships, whether straight or gay.

Following up on earlier Apple proposals, Unicode 12.0 will also include more emoji for the disabled, such as a guide dog and prosthetic limbs.

Unicode 12.0

Some other additions include a waffle, a falafel, butter, and garlic in terms of food, and new animals such as a flamingo, orangutan, skunk, and three-toed sloth. In all, Apple's Unicode set will include 59 new designs.

Unicode 12.0

Apple promised the new emoji in free software updates this fall, presumably referring to iOS 13, iPadOS 13, watchOS 6, and macOS Catalina. In theory though the characters could be reserved for subsequent point releases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Getting the popcorn ready in 3,2,1...
    doozydozenCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    There must be a PhD in how this came about.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Loving all of the diversity and inclusion but like most of the emoji's currently available there are a lot of emojis that I do not personally use and would like a way to tidy up the emoji selection screen. (Even though I fit into one of those new emojis.)

So I think it would be great if I could create a new keyboard of just the picto's I use, or highlight/rearrange the existing panel (or simply hide the unused ones.)

E.g. Astrological signs, sad/sick/dying emoji faces, various flags of the world/animals/symbols, moon phases, sports and grandfathered japanese icons. I have no use for these and they're just clutter to me. 

Also, in before someone says it, no the new symbols aren't breaking emoji or making it too difficult to choose - emoji was never concise to begin with.
    edited July 2019 Roger_Fingasdoozydozenbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Loving all of the diversity and inclusion but like most of the emoji's currently available there are a lot of emojis that I personally use and would like a way to tidy up the emoji selection screen. (Even though I fit into one of those new emojis.)

So I think it would be great if I could create a new keyboard of just the picto's I use, or highlight/rearrange the existing panel (or simply hide the unused ones.)
    True, it would be nice to be able to have a full emoji keyboard and a reduced one (beyond the recents) where you could disable options you would never use.

Fax. pfffft!  :s
    EsquireCats
  • Reply 5 of 23
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Am I the only person that does not give a f#@k about emojis?
    uraharaborpsbigtdsbig kcgatorguyflyingdpentropysCarnage
  • Reply 6 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Love it. Can’t believe there hasn’t been garlic yet!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 63member
    Where is the white guy with the black girl? Just sayin’
    bigtdsCarnage
  • Reply 8 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    techno said:
    No you are not, 
    bigtdsCarnage
  • Reply 9 of 23
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 38unconfirmed, member
    Phobos7 said:
    Where is the white guy with the black girl? Just sayin’
      That last phrase is a passive aggressive red flag and you know it. What you aren't saying is whether you put any thought into your comment, so here are questions to ask yourself when you re-read this article. Does the article depict an exhaustive list of all new emojis? Would it have been practical to show a list of all new emojis? If there are other emojis not shown, was there some sort of selectivity to the ones shown? If you have insights into the last question please let us know them without the pass agg snark. Leave the world a better place with your post.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    techno said:
    Not at all. 

Apple will get on stage and call it innovation too. 
    bigtds
  • Reply 11 of 23
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 38unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    techno said:
    No you are not, 

You've inspired me. I don't have any interest in knitting. None.

I'm off to track down knitting discussion pages and use some of my day to tell them so.
    svanstromfranklinjackcondoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Surely holding hands Emoji will be used for all sorts of close relationships not just intiment or sexual ones?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Why can't they just be yellow and be done with the diversity crap? They've overly complicated where it's no longer fun. 90% of the emojis are useless to 90% of us.

seankill said:
    techno said:
    Not at all. 

Apple will get on stage and call it innovation too. 

Are you kidding me?! Emojis are innovative as f***. The things we take for granted post-iPhone era. >:(

mattinoz said:
    Surely holding hands Emoji will be used for all sorts of close relationships not just intiment or sexual ones?

Definitely. Like when a parent talks about their kids. etc.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    borpsborps Posts: 28member
    techno said:
    Yeah for most purposes I went back to the original. Smileys and Kaomoji. They’re gender and race neutral and work everywhere. 

(☝︎ ՞ਊ ՞)☝︎
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ (ᵔᴥᵔ)
    ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
    d(^_^o)
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Personally I don't use emoji much, (aside from the various face ones now and again) but I appreciate Apple's efforts to ensure that for people who use them they are more inclusive.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    Personally I don't use emoji much, (aside from the various face ones now and again) but I appreciate Apple's efforts to ensure that for people who use them they are more inclusive.
    I believe anyhing that reduces clarity of communication is a waste of time.
    the very least Apple could do is make the emoji keyboard searchable, as there is a tonne and a half of useless dreck in there, but in the end I will just use English within the limits of my poor spelling, grammar and keyboard skills.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 17 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apparently the interracial couples came about due to a Tinder campaign.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    borps said:
    techno said:
    Yeah for most purposes I went back to the original. Smileys and Kaomoji. They’re gender and race neutral and work everywhere. 

(☝︎ ՞ਊ ՞)☝︎
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ (ᵔᴥᵔ)
    ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
    d(^_^o)
    Holly molly. That's like reading MS-DOS. :wink: 

• Reply 19 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Loving all of the diversity and inclusion but like most of the emoji's currently available there are a lot of emojis that I do not personally use and would like a way to tidy up the emoji selection screen. (Even though I fit into one of those new emojis.)

E.g. Astrological signs, sad/sick/dying emoji faces, various flags of the world/animals/symbols, moon phases, sports and grandfathered japanese icons. I have no use for these and they're just clutter to me. 

Also, in before someone says it, no the new symbols aren't breaking emoji or making it too difficult to choose - emoji was never concise to begin with.
    Having a favorites page (not just recent) would be great.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 23
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    borps said:
    techno said:

(☝︎ ՞ਊ ՞)☝︎
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ (ᵔᴥᵔ)
    ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
    d(^_^o)
    We all know they are Japanese ;)  (too cute)