Video demonstrates Hackintosh potential, but still isn't the Mac Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    eriamjh said:
    Eventually, the lack of a T2 chip and its successors will prevent MacOS from running on all hackintoshes.  
    This is correct. And since the T2 does encode/decode HEVC and I imagine AV1 soon having it securely enclave the OS from hack systems is another plus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 56
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Linus is this generation's Kim Commodo. Er, Kommando. Whatever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 56
    I actually enjoy Linus's content on YouTube a fair bit. He's a bit click-baity sometimes, but he's a YouTuber. They have a whole group of people creating content for computer enthusiasts. And while they often talk as if FPS games are the most important thing you could do on a computer (yawn) they're often pretty fun to watch. They've got several decent writers and the staff tend to have a pretty good rapport with each other. They certainly aren't Apple fan bois, but at the same time tend to be at least reasonably fair and unbiased. You can tell Linus sees himself as a non-Apple user, but several of the staff use Macs as their daily drivers.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Been using a two hackintoshes for several years now for heavy production work (using MBP for presentation and emergency) and I love the choice and freedom it gives me in building an extremely powerful, upgradable system for quite a bitt less. Sure, I hate most PC cases, and it could be quieter (not an expert builder by a long shot), but damn, this is good. And it was easy for a total pc-building noob like myself. And everything works. The main frustrations I have is that I can no longer just upgrade the OS willynilly. But I find it is easy to live with that.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 45 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,662member
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Soli said:
    mobird said:
    Wasn't the home brew clubs of the late '70's and early '80's a important part of Apple's success in the early days? Both Steve's participated in these organizations if I recall. I think that there is a market that Apple continues to ignore. I remember the days of xlr8yourmac.com and all the crazy things that went on over there. I totally agree with Redhotfuzz when he states-
    "What I do want/need is the sub-$2,000 PowerMac of yesteryear."
    Why won't Apple test this potential market? I would bet money that the return on investment would be greater than the AirPower...
    Sure maybe it is a "toy" but to each his/her own.
    You're in luck! You oddballs can find yourself an old PPC-based PowerMac "of yesteryear" on eBay for considerably less than $2k.
    I have the Intel "cheese-grater". Just want to see what would happen if Apple addressed this niche market.
    I can tell you that. If Apple went after the niche market of PPC enthusiasts who want a tower PC they wouldn't sell enough to make back their investment.
    I think they would sell like hot cakes. The problem is that the iMac would suffer as a result.
    You think PPC-based Macs would sell? OK. Even the Mac Pro never sold that well and the new one still won't sell that well. They'll sell everyone they make but "hot cakes" never has been nor will be how we define the sales of a Mac tower with any HW architecture.
    No, but why do you think the OP was speaking literally? 

It's absolutely clear what he's talking about.

The Mac Pro will definitely not sell like hot cakes and won't impact regular iMac sales either.

MplsPchemengin1
  • Reply 46 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    majorsl said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    majorsl said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that these neckbeards cobble together a gizmo that nears the performance of the Mac Pro with similar specs. [...]
    You’re calling Linus a neckbeard? Does that term not actually require a neck beard anymore??
    1) Linus uses macOS with off the shelf HW, not Linux? Can you back that up?

2) I don't see anyone referring to him as "neck" anything.

<snipped pic>
    You've posted an image of Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, not Linus Sebastian, creator of Linus Tech Tips.

The term "neckbeard" used to be literally applicable to a certain type of computer enthusiast, describing what was viewed as poor grooming habits. These days, poor grooming habits remain but are somewhat different to those in evidence when the term was originally applied. So, no, you don't need to actually have a beard to be described as a "neckbeard" any more.
    My bad, but my point still holds regarding a Linux user who is desperate to use macOS.
    I think you need to go watch some Linus Tech Tips videos and come back before you look even more foolish.  I'd say he leans more towards Windows and the majority of his 4.600 videos have nothing to do with Apple so he's hardly "desperate to use macOS."  He and his crew do it because they can and it's an interesting techie thing to try, along with a lot of other weird tinkering they sometimes try (and fail) with other products.
    1) Oh, they do because they can and yet you are arguing that Apple needs to make a special Mac… for Linux users? That makes perfect sense. :eyeroll:

2) It's amazing how you people can be so hateful of a company while at the same time begging that they offer more ways to include you, especially at their own expense.

3) While I usually don't care to see Apple close doors on any users—even the Hackintosh community—in this case I can't wait for them to make macOS secure enough that their T-series chip forces the "Mac Sux Linux Rulz" jump through actual hopes to install the OS. I remember when building a Hackintosh took actual talent, not just buying some off the shelf HW for which there were plenty of decent drivers written.
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote slowly and carefully.

1) What the hell?  I have never said that.  Ever.  You still seem confused about people named Linus and their relationship to Linux.  I can't solve that synaptic disconnect for you.  I'm sorry.  Perhaps a neurologist would be beneficial to you.

2) I'm a customer.  Voicing what I'd prefer and want is perfectly acceptable.  They can listen if there are enough of us ... or not.  [email protected] is a valid email address.  You don't get to tell me what products I, or anyone, should like or dislike.  You want to piss away your hard earned cash on sealed units when a minor upgrade down the road could add years to it, hey, go for it.  There once was room for both options.

3) The Hackintosh has very little to do with Linux.  You seem to think Linux is somehow "under" what is running a hackintosh.  While some can run macOS in a VM with Linux as a host (that was the way they first did it in the video), it typically isn't done that way.  Hackintoshes talk directly to the hardware as if they were a Mac.  They probably have inspiration for the bootloader from Linux, but once that awesome macOS starts, it is macOS.  Had you made it 25% into the video, you'd know this.  I can't help you with your attention span either.  Sorry.
    You should stop brother.  Soli probably still thinks Torvald's and Sebastian are the same Linus.  At some point he'll realize that he's the only person talking about Linux... and that he actually brought it up.  By that point, the universe will have ended in heat death.  You're literally in a conversation with a guy who has no clue what's going on in the conversation.
    ...he seems to bring things up that I said that I never said or meant.  It's like I'm watching a fiction novel being written about myself.  I should just give him my password so he can carry on arguing with... "me."  It'd be quite a time saver!
    This is what Soli does, create numbered lists against imaginary arguments, rather than the actual words of the other person.  He's literally the only person bringing up Linux and other people's "desperation" and "hate" in this thread, what a joke.
    MplsPchemengin1mobird
  • Reply 47 of 56
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    hexclock said:
    I have always liked seeing people experimenting like this. If I had gobs of extra money, I would try something that. Isn’t the processor cost alone north of 10k? I am curious to know what they spent... it doesn’t seem to be stated in the article. Guess I’ll just watch the video, it’s how they make their money anyway. Might as well support their endeavors. 
    Xeon W-3175X https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16819118010 ($3157)
    Radeon 7 https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-vii-gv-rvega20-16gd-b/p/N82E16814932126 ($699)
    Motherboard https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119192 ($1799)
    $5655

Adding a case, power supply and other parts would add maybe $500-1000, so around $6-6.5k. I don't know why Apple would choose the W-3275M over the W-3275:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=193752,193754

I don't see what benefit an extra 1TB of RAM (extra 0.5TB physically supported) offers workstation users that justifies an extra $3k. If they stuck with the W-3275, their highest CPU option Mac Pro would come in just over $10k. They could always offer both, the extra RAM mainly benefits server use.
    edited July 2019 entropysroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 56
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    why are so many people bashing these guys? They have no intention to go to market with anything and admit that it's not a replacement for a Mac Pro in a professional environment. I think it's great that they looked at the Mac Pro and said "we could do that" and did...it was a cool pet project. Good for these guys, they did something pretty cool with something cool to show for it.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 49 of 56
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    The problem with Apple now is they create iMac Pro. This desktop has issue that price wise close to new Mac Pro but no easy upgrade.
    Yeah.. They add 5K panel for that but 27' 5K resolution is not for everyone.. Not even 2% maybe?

Anyway.. Mac mini is some what dead. Even new refresh tie up 2.5' drive removed so there is no upgrade internally.
    I would get rid of current form factor Mac mini and shrink new Mac Pro and start user upgrade CPU, RAM, SSD and 2 PCI-E expansion that hold 2 slot GPU.

Since Apple now make own GPU so I would add that option as well. The price start from $1,500-2,000?

mobird
  • Reply 50 of 56
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    Compromise after compromise. They totally failed to prove there point at all. They couldn't match the hardware one for one to build a Hackintosh that would still be cheaper but match the performance equally. Almost doesn't cut it at all and proves just how much power the new Mac Pro has.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    horvatic said:
    Compromise after compromise. They totally failed to prove there point at all. They couldn't match the hardware one for one to build a Hackintosh that would still be cheaper but match the performance equally. Almost doesn't cut it at all and proves just how much power the new Mac Pro has.
    A one for one match on the hardware is literally impossible when you're talking about custom silicon and components that aren't generally available, so I don't think you actually understood the point. They made a very compelling machine, with components available right now, that has comparable performance. And they did it for a lark, not as the attack on Apple's engineering that some people seem determined to take it as.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 52 of 56
    My next Mac will be a Hackintosh.  Not for anything that Apple has/has not done, but my mission has changed from needing a computer that doesn't need to be reimaged every 6 months but easy to know how to use (due to familiarity) to high power and low cost and that can run X-Plane with all of the additional hardware add-ons.

I'd also like to run MacOS, so it will have a Hackintosh supported Motherboard and video.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that these neckbeards cobble together a gizmo that nears the performance of the Mac Pro with similar specs. Now tell me what real professional video studio whose livelihood depends on performance and reliability would actually buy homemade, unsupported hardware running an operating system whose licensing terms expressly forbids its installation on said hardware?. 
    No professional studio will. The article said exactly that. So what? How does that mean the exercise has no merit? Even if it’s for no other reason than it’s fun. What part of this warrants insults?

lkrupp said:
    So what is the point of this exercise other than to say, “We did it! Ha Ha Ha!”. 
    1. Holding Apple’s feet to the fire by comparing what it does to what others do.
    2. Satisfying curiosity.
    3. Demonstrating the differences between a part-way solution and the “real” Mac experience.
    4. Fun.
    5. Providing an alternative for those whose hardware needs and/or budget are not well served by Apple.

lkrupp said:
    Self-styled techies are such holier-than-thou egomaniacs. 
    Again with the insults. Why?

lkrupp said:
    So you’re an amateur self-styled techie who does no real work on your machine. It’s a toy for you. 
    So anyone whose use of a Mac doesn’t satisfy your self-established criteria for legitimacy should be dismissed as irrelevant? I’d humbly suggest that it is your position that reeks of egotism.

Honestly, your constant lashing out at others does Apple no favours. First, it reflects badly on its image by portraying Apple users as judgmental, intolerant, and snobby. Second, lots of outside experiments have found their way into shipping Apple products, and activities like this foster such ideas. Lots of innovations originate outside of Apple’s campus.

chemengin1Solimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 56
    So final build will be better in all ways but ram expansion? But they already stated in the article that it wouldn't have the same level of external expansion (TB3)...also, no way to recreate the dual Radeon Vega IIs with MPX modules. And no afterburner card (although that might work on this Hackintosh if you could get one). So really the only way it will be more performant is in CPU thermal throttling under the highest loads (although Apples product managers have said that the MacPro will kill in this respect, so we'll have to see if this turns out to be true), since it is using water cooling. In every other metric, it falls behind.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Linus is your typical clickbait substance-less wannabe celebrity hack (pun intended)
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 56
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    After all, 3175X is meant for overclocking, as well consuming more power along the way, so what’s the point.

Though I do want to question how accurate the Geekbench was, no way it could gain more than ~40% score for a couple MHz.