YouTuber reveals 'iPhone 11' models, claims few changes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Long-time YouTuber Marques Brownlee has dummy models of all three 2019 iPhones, reportedly made to be sent to the manufacturers of protective cases.

The rear cameras on dummy models of Apple's expected new iPhones
The rear cameras on dummy models of Apple's expected new iPhones

Marques Brownlee, also known as MKBHD, has shown off dummy models of all the iPhones that Apple is expected to release later this year. The models were reportedly made to help the manufacturers of iPhone cases, and so should be the most certain evidence we have of the final physical dimensions.

The models appear to confirm the arrangement of the new camera, and also that Apple is staying with Lightning for its charging connector, rather than switching to USB-C as in the latest iPad Pro models.

Brownlee reports that the higher-end models, perhaps to be called "iPhone 11" and "iPhone 11 Max," will have the expected three rear cameras. He also shows that the cheaper model, possibly to be known as the "iPhone 11R," will have two. That's believed to be a regular camera, plus a telephoto one and, new to the range, a wide-angle lense.

This is an improvement on the current iPhone XR, which has a single camera, and Brownlee surmises that the two will be the regular camera and a wide-angle one.

The models were sent to Brownlee by Sonny Dickson, and look like finished iPhones. They can't be switched on, though, they are nothing but models of the exterior, and this limits how much information can be gleaned from them.

While Brownlee discusses the screen and other specifications of the forthcoming iPhones, his information is a roundup of previous reports, rather than anything based on or confirmed by these models.

As well as the well-reported camera system, the higher-end new iPhones are expected to feature the ability to charge other devices. The range is thought to include one LCD iPhone and two OLED ones, and a recent render from a case manufacturer suggests a modification to the mute switch.

Both that render, and previously-spotted models believed to be made for case manufacturers, fit with the designs of the dummy units Brownlee has.

Apple is expected to reveal its new iPhones in September. Reports by Ming-Chi Kuo and others, suggest that the September 2020 iPhones will introduce 5G, and reduce the size of the notch needed for Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    How I hope that this is a fake mock-up. This looks hideous :(
  • Reply 2 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    They do look awful and I suppose there could be a technical reason for them not centering the square and putting the Apple logo below it.

I am somewhat surprised that, supposing this is the real thing, they went ahead with something that is not only jarring on first sight but still seems 'off' months after seeing the first rumoured renders. 

Being dummy units without finishing possibly means the final versions could look a little less bad.
    edited July 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 89
    2770 Lorca2770 Lorca Posts: 14unconfirmed, member

I guess that technology, chips’ design, and software doesn’t count. “Only the look” Mamma mia!

I suppose, that, to be different they all have to look the same. Buy android! They come in thousands of different names.

Jayyyzzzuuuzzz

jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 89
    They are pushed to the side of the phone to make room for the battery in the center and right-side.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

I guess that technology, chips’ design, and software doesn’t count. “Only the look” Mamma mia!

I suppose, that, to be different they all have to look the same. Buy android! They come in thousands of different names.

Jayyyzzzuuuzzz

Looks count. They are important. One of the key elements in Apple products. They are not the be all and end all, but key nevertheless. 

The same applies to Android phones.

That said, who claimed "only the look" counts?

If you think this is ugly from an aesthetic perspective you can say so. If you think it looks 'great', too. Even 'meh'.

gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 89
    These look truly terrible. It’s not just that the balance, symmetry and aesthetic continues to get worse, nor that they continue to fail to address the daily frustration that is having the power button opposite the volume button (I’ve lost count of the number of unwanted screenshots or powering off when all I wanted to do was lower the volume.) But where’s the innovation? Surely fakes. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 89
    They are pushed to the side of the phone to make room for the battery in the center and right-side.
    They could still center the camera module with Apple's L-shaped battery because the part of the battery that covers the center of the phone is in the bottom portion of the casing. More than that, Apple is famous for their ability to design the internals of their devices.  I have no doubt Apple could place that camera module wherever they want on that phone and make it work. 

Personally, I think Apple would keep the module in the upper left corner because of tradition.  It's always been in the upper left corner.  I hope these renders and mockups are wrong, because that off center squircle is disconcerting and just plain ugly.
    jguther
  • Reply 9 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Two more months of pearl clutching by concern trolls and then we get actual reviews of the iPhone's triple camera system. 

I'm prescient.

Once the reviews are out, no one will give a fuck about the "look" of the camera bump.

dedgeckomike1jahbladeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 89
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    The camera block is more of a sign that you bought a new iPhone than aesthetics.

Apple’s approach with the iPhone design is to make it so that competitors are hesitant to copy it because it may not look aesthetically pleasing yet Apple can sell it. 

I strongly disagree with Brownlee that the only considerable change is the camera. I actually stopped trusting his channel because it seems like he is getting paid by ahem *Samsung* to promote their stuff or be apologetic about any major screwups. Yet he goes on to be highly critical about Apple products that have not been released yet. Yeah Brownlee it’s okay that Samsung foldable phones couldn’t survive a single day, cost $2,000, yet Apple’s square camera is not worthy of purchasing. Gotcha!
    80s_Apple_GuytmaydedgeckouraharagutengelStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 89
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    tmay said:
    Two more months of pearl clutching by concern trolls and then we get actual reviews of the iPhone's triple camera system. 

I'm prescient.

Once the reviews are out, no one will give a fuck about the "look" of the camera bump.

Any chance you, and others, would stop calling regular posters here "trolls". Its it looks bad, lets say it.
    chemengin1Carnage
  • Reply 12 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

I think most forum members here have always cared about how their phones look. They won't suddenly "not care". 

That also doesn't mean they won't buy a new iPhone anyway whether they think it looks great, good, average, or bad. Looks aren't the only selling point, just one of them.
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 89
    It looks a little like an Apple watch screen has been taped to the back of the iPhone.
    bigtds
  • Reply 14 of 89
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    crowley said:
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 89
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

I think most forum members here have always cared about how their phones look. They won't suddenly "not care". 

That also doesn't mean they won't buy a new iPhone anyway whether they think it looks great, good, average, or bad. Looks aren't the only selling point, just one of them.
    “No one” meaning the millions of people in the market for a new iPhone, not the same 5-10 negative-Apple-Nancy’s who come to offer their opinions on AI.

The alleged new bump looks to be the same size as the GoPro lens. No one cares about those either. ;)

Though didn’t the Pixel 4 Leak already confirm someone has stolen the alleged iPhone 11 design?  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

Perhaps, it's just design convergence; ie, form follows function.

https://bgr.com/2019/07/15/pixel-4-specs-vs-galaxy-note-10-snapdragon-855-plus-chip-included/
    edited July 2019 uraharaStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 89
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

It's ok that aesthetics don't matter to you.  Other people think differently.  I like for things to look nice as well as work, especially when I'm paying as much as an iPhone costs.
    Japheychemengin1
  • Reply 18 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

“No one” meaning the millions of people in the market for a new iPhone, not the same 5-10 negative-Apple-Nancy’s who come to offer their opinions on AI.

The alleged new bump looks to be the same size as the GoPro lens. No one cares about those either. ;)

Though didn’t the Pixel 4 Leak already confirm someone has stolen the alleged iPhone 11 design?  
    Huawei's design?

That IMO unattractive but perhaps necessary for now camera bump was already set in stone for the Pixel 4 and long before any rumor images appearing of it on any Apple product, but now apparently confirmed for the iPhone too. It has already been used since last year by Huawei with the Mate 20 and other Chinese manufacturers are copy-catting the Huawei design for their 2019 models.

With Google partnering with Huawei as both a primary Android licensee as well as a builder of an earlier Google phone it would not be too much of a stretch to learn Google had already been privy to the design advantages of a square camera housing during discussion with their engineers long ago. As for Apple maybe they saw the Mate 20 camera bump at some Chinese manufacturing site a year ago and thought "Great idea, that solves a lens placement problem".  Who knows for certain why other companies are settling on the Huawei-themed camera bump outside of the companies themselves.

LOL, just reading an article from awhile back with the same general viewpoint:
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-2019-square-camera-Pixel-4_id116891
    edited July 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 89
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

The Pixel 4's design isn't stolen from Apple.  Both the Pixel 4 and the alleged iPhone 11 were "inspired" by Huawei's design from last year's Mate Pro 20.  MKBHD even shows one in comparison in the video above.  That camera module is ugly.  Will it keep people from buying the phone?  No, but it's still ugly.  No one, not even the members of the ADF have said otherwise.
    chemengin1AppleExposed
  • Reply 20 of 89
    They could still center the camera module with Apple's L-shaped battery because the part of the battery that covers the center of the phone is in the bottom portion of the casing. More than that, Apple is famous for their ability to design the internals of their devices.  I have no doubt Apple could place that camera module wherever they want on that phone and make it work. 

Personally, I think Apple would keep the module in the upper left corner because of tradition.  It's always been in the upper left corner.  I hope these renders and mockups are wrong, because that off center squircle is disconcerting and just plain ugly.
    I presume the wireless charging coil currently in the dead center could be an issue with centering the new cameras.
    retrogustowatto_cobra