YouTuber reveals 'iPhone 11' models, claims few changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Two more months of pearl clutching by concern trolls and then we get actual reviews of the iPhone's triple camera system. 

I'm prescient.

Once the reviews are out, no one will give a fuck about the "look" of the camera bump.

I think most forum members here have always cared about how their phones look. They won't suddenly "not care". 

That also doesn't mean they won't buy a new iPhone anyway whether they think it looks great, good, average, or bad. Looks aren't the only selling point, just one of them.
    “No one” meaning the millions of people in the market for a new iPhone, not the same 5-10 negative-Apple-Nancy’s who come to offer their opinions on AI.

The alleged new bump looks to be the same size as the GoPro lens. No one cares about those either. ;)

Though didn’t the Pixel 4 Leak already confirm someone has stolen the alleged iPhone 11 design?  
    The Pixel 4's design isn't stolen from Apple.  Both the Pixel 4 and the alleged iPhone 11 were "inspired" by Huawei's design from last year's Mate Pro 20.  MKBHD even shows one in comparison in the video above.  That camera module is ugly.  Will it keep people from buying the phone?  No, but it's still ugly.  No one, not even the members of the ADF have said otherwise.
    I'm not seeing where Apple was "inspired" by Huawei's design, given Apple's long roadmap, and how Apple's design group operates. But if you have any evidence of it, please post it. 

More likely, it is that the square camera bump is functionally ideal, and truth be told, any camera bump is a compromise, so why not optimize it for the best imaging and video?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 89
    They are pushed to the side of the phone to make room for the battery in the center and right-side.
    They could still center the camera module with Apple's L-shaped battery because the part of the battery that covers the center of the phone is in the bottom portion of the casing. More than that, Apple is famous for their ability to design the internals of their devices.  I have no doubt Apple could place that camera module wherever they want on that phone and make it work. 

Personally, I think Apple would keep the module in the upper left corner because of tradition.  It's always been in the upper left corner.  I hope these renders and mockups are wrong, because that off center squircle is disconcerting and just plain ugly.
    I presume the wireless charging coil currently in the dead center could be an issue with centering the new cameras.
    Mate 20 Pro has a wireless charging coil centered in it.  It even functions as a reverse wireless charger for other devices.  Camera module centered.  Notch on front.  4200 mAh giant battery.  As I said earlier.  I think (if it does happen) it's because of tradition.  It's always been in the left corner.
    Image result for mate pro 20
    edited July 2019 uraharachemengin1
  • Reply 23 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    They are pushed to the side of the phone to make room for the battery in the center and right-side.
    They could still center the camera module with Apple's L-shaped battery because the part of the battery that covers the center of the phone is in the bottom portion of the casing. More than that, Apple is famous for their ability to design the internals of their devices.  I have no doubt Apple could place that camera module wherever they want on that phone and make it work. 

Personally, I think Apple would keep the module in the upper left corner because of tradition.  It's always been in the upper left corner.  I hope these renders and mockups are wrong, because that off center squircle is disconcerting and just plain ugly.
    I presume the wireless charging coil currently in the dead center could be an issue with centering the new cameras.
    The Huawei Mate 20 includes wireless charging coils and the bump is still centered. 

The explanation I've seen posted elsewhere for being off-center is both the iPhone and Pixel phones this year are mid-design cycle phones that would require some hefty re-engineering to change the position of the cameras from where they are now. With new shells/displays slated for next year it wouldn't make sense to redesign now.

Next year I'd wager both will be changing at least the position of the square bump if not the need for one to begin with. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 89
    gatorguy said:

The Huawei Mate 20 includes wireless charging coils and the bump is still centered. 

The explanation I've seen posted elsewhere for being off-center is both the iPhone and Pixel phones this year are mid-design cycle phones that would require some hefty re-engineering to change the position of the cameras from where they are now. With new shells/displays slated for next year it wouldn't make sense to redesign now.

Next year I'd wager both will be changing at least the position of the square bump if not the need for one to begin with. 
    Apple and Google moving the camera bump to the middle accomplishes what exactly? Plenty of phones over the last decade have had camera bumps in the center, yet Apple has never had that.

Why would you see the need to change it?
    StrangeDaysthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 89
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Two more months of pearl clutching by concern trolls and then we get actual reviews of the iPhone's triple camera system. 

I'm prescient.

Once the reviews are out, no one will give a fuck about the "look" of the camera bump.

I think most forum members here have always cared about how their phones look. They won't suddenly "not care". 

That also doesn't mean they won't buy a new iPhone anyway whether they think it looks great, good, average, or bad. Looks aren't the only selling point, just one of them.
    “No one” meaning the millions of people in the market for a new iPhone, not the same 5-10 negative-Apple-Nancy’s who come to offer their opinions on AI.

The alleged new bump looks to be the same size as the GoPro lens. No one cares about those either. ;)

Though didn’t the Pixel 4 Leak already confirm someone has stolen the alleged iPhone 11 design?  
    The Pixel 4's design isn't stolen from Apple.  Both the Pixel 4 and the alleged iPhone 11 were "inspired" by Huawei's design from last year's Mate Pro 20.  MKBHD even shows one in comparison in the video above.  That camera module is ugly.  Will it keep people from buying the phone?  No, but it's still ugly.  No one, not even the members of the ADF have said otherwise.
    I'm not sure how you would even know if Apple was "inspired" by Huawei, given the number of variations of camera bump configuration and placement on their various P, Mate, and Honor models.

Huawei certainly hasn't yet converged all of its designs to any single camera placement, but Apple has, since the first iPhone.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysuraharathtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 89
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    One of the ugliest things apples has done for years. Right up there with the battery case  :# VOM
    chemengin1
  • Reply 27 of 89
    tmay said:
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

I'm not seeing where Apple was "inspired" by Huawei's design, given Apple's long roadmap, and how Apple's design group operates. But if you have any evidence of it, please post it. 

More likely, it is that the square camera bump is functionally ideal, and truth be told, any camera bump is a compromise, so why not optimize it for the best imaging and video?
    If you can't see the similarity I can't help you bud.  That's a level of dissonance I can't overcome.  You want me to post evidence of my opinion?  You're using that debate tactic incorrectly.    The square module is no more likely to be functionally ideal than it is a design choice by apple.  Smartphone cameras have been producing great images from both vertical and horizontal modules for quite some time.  Silly speculation about ideal arrangements for AR, VR, or George R.R. Martin, is just that: silly speculation.  I've yet to see any evidence to support it. ← That's preemptive.  You didn't mention it, but it usually pops up in a thread about the camera module.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 28 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

Apple and Google moving the camera bump to the middle accomplishes what exactly? Plenty of phones over the last decade have had camera bumps in the center, yet Apple has never had that.

Because right now a lot of us are saying it's ugly? That's why I would see a need to change it. You might disagree and like it just the way it is, huge, ugly, jumbled arrangement, and all. :)
    (Mostly kidding)

Apple and Google are going to do whatever makes it more attractive to buyers (Apple more attuned to it) and my guess is they'll change it next year. We all like what we like which doesn't make one of us wrong.

Personally I would have preferred the accent wall in our bedroom to be deep green. My wife was convinced it would be ugly and preferred purple. In that instance I did let her believe she was right but there were extenuating reasons for that. I like my bed. 
    edited July 2019 mike1jbishop1039chemengin1
  • Reply 29 of 89
    tmay said:
    dedgecko said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

I'm prescient.

If you can't see the similarity I can't help you bud.  That's a level of dissonance I can't overcome.  You want me to post evidence of my opinion?  You're using that debate tactic incorrectly.    The square module is no more likely to be functionally ideal than it is a design choice by apple.  Smartphone cameras have been producing great images from both vertical and horizontal modules for quite some time.  Silly speculation about ideal arrangements for AR, VR, or George R.R. Martin, is just that: silly speculation.  I've yet to see any evidence to support it. ← That's preemptive.  You didn't mention it, but it usually pops up in a thread about the camera module.
    If only Huawei had standardized on one configuration, then you might have a point, but they haven't.

edited July 2019 StrangeDaysurahararetrogustowatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 30 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

The question is 'why not?'.

If the result is ugly, change it. That's a very good reason.

Now, if, as Gatorguy has suggested, placing it in the centre was too much of an engineering re-design for a look that is about to suffer a major reworking (possibly on the 2020 upgrade), then keeping it in the upper left would make a little more sense even if the result is ugly.

It also fits well with Apple's sloth like progess when it comes to adding stand out premium features.

Tri-camera will be a full 18 months behind the competition. As will be a Night Mode feature and higher zoom factors and camera versatility. For charging, many, many years behind. And rumours point to quad cameras coming to the fore.

As for the square bump taking inspiration from Huawei, why not? We will never know. There are only so many designs anyway so it would have appeared eventually, just like a circular bump will surely appear too. This is like AirPods. There is nothing original in the design. Snipping off the wires from standard earbuds didn't break new ground and using the long stems has been a well trodden path for the majority of hands free earpieces for many years.

Square, lineal or circular bumps, aren't news. Looks are and these look awful.

Having said all that, if things had appeared on an iPhone first and competitors followed, many here would be howling at the 'blatant rip offs' and if the top left sqaure placement had been used by anyone before Apple there would have been howls over how ugly it was, too.

As things stand, the Pixel 4 actually doesn't look so 'off' because there is no logo near it to draw you to it. 

The logo is understated and well out of the way.

It's all moot though until the phones go official. Just pray there are no furry dice hanging off them!
    chemengin1
  • Reply 31 of 89
    tmay said:

I'm not sure how you would even know if Apple was "inspired" by Huawei, given the number of variations of camera bump configuration and placement on their various P, Mate, and Honor models.

Huawei certainly hasn't yet converged all of its designs to any single camera placement, but Apple has, since the first iPhone.
    How is this even an argument?  They haven't converged their camera placement in their budget, mid-tier, and premium lines into one design... uh, okay I guess.  I don't even know what that means in the context of this conversation.  It's irrelevant anyway.  I was pretty specific.  I claimed they were inspired by "Huawei's design from last year's Mate Pro 20" not just Huawei in general.   
    chemengin1
  • Reply 32 of 89
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    This is just more noise. When has Apple ever provided mock ups to case vendors?! Never! For years, case companies have been making samples and even inventory based on their best guesses. Sometimes the'yre luck, more often something needs to be tweaked. Which is why you never see good quality cases available on day 1.
    mjtomlinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 89
    tmay said:

How is this even an argument?  They haven't converged their camera placement in their budget, mid-tier, and premium lines into one design... uh, okay I guess.  I don't even know what that means in the context of this conversation.  It's irrelevant anyway.  I was pretty specific.  I claimed they were inspired by "Huawei's design from last year's Mate Pro 20" not just Huawei in general.   
    Yeah, you "claimed", but why wouldn't I accurately also claim that Apple designed their configuration without regard to Huawei?". Do you actually think that Apple designs its products in mere weeks or months, which they would have had to if they had copied the Mate 20, which was only announced in late October of last year?

Apple hasn't changed their placement, ever, and they certainly have the engineering and design to create their own optimized camera array that just coincidentally has an appearance like the Mate 20's "square" without actually being anywhere close to the same internal design. 

A better question is why doesn't Huawei have a consistent design language? Likely it's because Huawei builds a shit ton of different models in a year, and Apple only currently builds three, and they all follow the same design language.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Ironic.

Every non-marketing photo of the devices circulated by the techblog whores is of the back of the device, because this is the only thing visually changed so it is the only thing worth discussing/generating clicks.

Yet, no one really cares what the back of the device looks like because users of iPhone spend precisely 0% of the time looking at the back of their own phone. They also spend 0% of their time using their iPhone outside of a case, so even any tactile difference is rendered moot.

Then every comment on every techblog whore's post is "how ugly!" because commenters spend less than 2.3 seconds formulating their reaction to any post.

For once, Apple is choosing function over form for a better user experience, and the only reaction anyone can muster (to the thing they clamor for the most) is an aesthetic criticism.

----

As an aside, what I wonder is: if Apple was willing to forgo aesthetic concerns for their camera and take up so much space with the housing...why not just give us 1 big retractable lens and give us the biggest leap in iPhone camera performance since the first 5 element lens?
    edited July 2019 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 89

crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

It's ok that aesthetics don't matter to you.  Other people think differently.  I like for things to look nice as well as work, especially when I'm paying as much as an iPhone costs.
    No, other people don't. Unless you can demonstrate that any measurable amount of users spend any measurable amount of time looking at the back of their own phone, then you're spouting nonsense...utterly predictable, reactionary nonsense.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 89
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

It's ok that aesthetics don't matter to you.  Other people think differently.  I like for things to look nice as well as work, especially when I'm paying as much as an iPhone costs.
    That new bump with the three lenses does look nice and aesthetically pleasing. We agree to disagree.
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Ironic.

Every non-marketing photo of the devices circulated by the techblog whores is of the back of the device, because this is the only thing visually changed so it is the only thing worth discussing/generating clicks.

Yet, no one really cares what the back of the device looks like because users of iPhone spend precisely 0% of the time looking at the back of their own phone. They also spend 0% of their time using their iPhone outside of a case, so even any tactile difference is rendered moot.

Then every comment on every techblog whore's post is "how ugly!" because commenters spend less than 2.3 seconds formulating their reaction to any post.

For once, Apple is choosing function over form for a better user experience, and the only reaction anyone can muster (to the thing they clamor for the most) is an aesthetic criticism.

----

As an aside, what I wonder is: if Apple was willing to forgo aesthetic concerns for their camera and take up so much space with the housing...why not just give us 1 big retractable lens and give us the biggest leap in iPhone camera performance since the first 5 element lens?
    I'm mostly in agreement with you.

The tradeoff is a bit of bump aesthetics, not unlike the notch, and soon forgotten against the benefit of enhanced imaging and video. Those that can't make that tradeoff are out of luck, but I expect that it will few in number.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

No, other people don't. Unless you can demonstrate that any measurable amount of users spend any measurable amount of time looking at the back of their own phone, then you're spouting nonsense...utterly predictable, reactionary nonsense.
    Wtf?  I'm not claiming to represent anything other than myself.  I am another person.  You can measure me.  I'm bothered by the existing camera bump, and I would be bothered even more by it being doubled in size.  Yes, that is a reaction, and yes, I reserve the right to make no sense.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 39 of 89
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    beadlien said:
    These look truly terrible. It’s not just that the balance, symmetry and aesthetic continues to get worse, nor that they continue to fail to address the daily frustration that is having the power button opposite the volume button (I’ve lost count of the number of unwanted screenshots or powering off when all I wanted to do was lower the volume.) But where’s the innovation? Surely fakes. 
    Moving that power button was a mistake, concur. I really dislike that.
    tht
  • Reply 40 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

That new bump with the three lenses does look nice and aesthetically pleasing. We agree to disagree.
    Interesting that you make the point since you think it doesn't matter what it looks like, but fair enough.  I think you're in a tiny minority.
    chemengin1