Apple Card is here, find out all you need to know

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Let’s sum up the comments so far:

”I haven’t read the articles that explain what’s nifty about this card.”

“But I already have a credit card!”

🤦🏻‍♂️

Yesterday, I walked into Tesco, shouted "I've already done my shopping!" then I walked out.

I felt so much better afterwards. 

randominternetpersonstompyStrangeDaysneilmwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 91
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,047member
    felix01 said:

And how about when I have to generate a number for someone like Amazon which doesn’t accept ApplePay? Am I correct in assuming that number is only good for a single use? If so, that means I can’t use the card for a recurring bill without generating a new number for each use or for a monthly pay-off. For example, I can’t imagine generating a new number each month to pay for the newspaper. Now if that generated number is not for single use, these objections go away but then we are back to comparing the Apple Card to cards I already have which have better benefits.
    It is unclear how Apple will handle this. 

Certainly the technology has been around.

First of all, if you need to retrieve the card number, expiration date, and CVV, the Wallet app will reveal the information for "Card Not Present" transactions (like phone transactions).

As for generating card numbers for one-time or recurring payments, this feature has been around 15+ years. I had this in the early 2000s with MBNA America Visa card. They called it ShopSafe and one could generate a random credit card number for a one-time only purchase or a number for recurring payments. You could set the maximum transaction amount and change the expiration date. Bank of America acquired MBNA in 2006 and retained the ShopSafe feature for use with BofA branded cards.

Time will tell how Apple/Goldman Sachs will handle this. But it certainly is possible. Various other card issuers (including American Express and Discover) have had this technology at one point or another.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mpantone said:
    felix01 said:

And how about when I have to generate a number for someone like Amazon which doesn’t accept ApplePay? Am I correct in assuming that number is only good for a single use? If so, that means I can’t use the card for a recurring bill without generating a new number for each use or for a monthly pay-off. For example, I can’t imagine generating a new number each month to pay for the newspaper. Now if that generated number is not for single use, these objections go away but then we are back to comparing the Apple Card to cards I already have which have better benefits.
    It is unclear how Apple will handle this. 

Certainly the technology has been around.

First of all, if you need to retrieve the card number, expiration date, and CVV, the Wallet app will reveal the information for "Card Not Present" transactions (like phone transactions).

As for generating card numbers for one-time or recurring payments, this feature has been around 15+ years. I had this in the early 2000s with MBNA America Visa card. They called it ShopSafe and one could generate a random credit card number for a one-time only purchase or a number for recurring payments. You could set the maximum transaction amount and change the expiration date. Bank of America acquired MBNA in 2006 and retained the ShopSafe feature for use with BofA branded cards.

Time will tell how Apple/Goldman Sachs will handle this. But it certainly is possible. Various other card issuers (including American Express and Discover) have had this technology at one point or another.

Hopefully it forces these anti-Apple platforms to simply accept ApplePay. It's 2019, ApplePay isn't gonna lose.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.

%2 is more if it isn't Apple.

It's insane how people hypocritically bash Apple and get away with it. Apple always held to a higher standard.

Keep your unsafe, data collecting cards buddy and we'll keep our titanium ones.
    Solimatrix077pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 91
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    rob53 said:
    Does Apple Pay look credit card agnostic to the POS station or does it check to see what type of credit card it's using? I have my Citibank Visa from Costco as my Apple Pay credit card and Costco only takes Visa (all Visas now). It's my understanding that the Apple Card is a MasterCard. Is that correct? Will using Apple Pay at Costco see it as a MasterCard or just an accepted payment card?

I'm still getting one and will get rid of my extra cards I've kept to keep my credit card history higher.
    Credit and debit card transactions go through a stunning number of middlemen.

1. The merchant who accepts the card.
    2. The vendor who makes the terminal the merchant is using.
    3. Potentially an aggregator who takes infrequent transactions from a lot of terminals (think gas station pumps) and bundles them together.
    4. The card processor.
    5. The card brand (think Visa, MasterCard, AmEx, &c.).
    6. The card issuer.
    7. Potentially the backing bank. This is generally the same as the issuer, but not always.

Some of these can be combined. For example, most aggregators build and sell their own terminals. Each of these parties wants a piece of the transaction for the “value” they “add”. Because of this, some really large companies like Walmart do everything up through the payment processing themselves.

In general, each of these parties to the transaction know about all the others. Costco would be able to tell it’s a MasterCard, but they probably don’t care. The whole idea of a payment processor is so the merchant doesn’t need to do anything special to interact with the different card brands. And the whole point of the card brands is so the processor (and therefore the merchant) doesn’t need to do anything special to interact with all the issuing banks.
    randominternetpersonStrangeDayslostkiwi
  • Reply 26 of 91
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    Let’s sum up the comments so far:

”I haven’t read the articles that explain what’s nifty about this card.”

“But I already have a credit card!”

ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️
    What a useful post from someone with almost 8000 posts.  I can only imagine the usefulness of your other 7900+ posts.  Thank you for contributing something useful.
    edited July 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 27 of 91
    This is gonna be revolutionary I just feel it.

ITGUYINSD said:
    I've got lots of credit cards that have apps on my iPhone, that I can lock, that I can make payments on my phone, see transactions,etc.

I'm just not clear what is so special (except for a metal card) about this card?  In a nutshell, why would I want this card when I already have half a dozen other cards?

Hey 1-poster. Maybe just Maybe it's from Apple, will make life easier and integrate with Apple.

There's no reason knocking sense into these guys. Every time Apple announces a revolutionary product we get the pessimists.

Reminds me of the people who didn't need an iPhone because they already had an iPod and a samsung flip phone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but EVERYONE here starts with post #1?  On the other hand, it seems with replies like yours (and others in this thread who replied with sarcastic replies), that people here are just as rude and condescending as over at the Mac Rumors site.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  /s
    edited July 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 28 of 91
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is gonna be revolutionary I just feel it.

ITGUYINSD said:
    I've got lots of credit cards that have apps on my iPhone, that I can lock, that I can make payments on my phone, see transactions,etc.

I'm just not clear what is so special (except for a metal card) about this card?  In a nutshell, why would I want this card when I already have half a dozen other cards?

Hey 1-poster. Maybe just Maybe it's from Apple, will make life easier and integrate with Apple.

There's no reason knocking sense into these guys. Every time Apple announces a revolutionary product we get the pessimists.

Reminds me of the people who didn't need an iPhone because they already had an iPod and a samsung flip phone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but EVERYONE here starts with post #1?  On the other hand, it seems with replies like yours (and others in this thread who replied with sarcastic replies), that people here are just as rude and condescending as over at the Mac Rumors site.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  /s

No, we just treat ignorant people how they should be treated. The people here are geniuses compared to that Mac site so logically dumb posts get funny replies.

The fact you signed up after being triggered says more about you than us.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Why did you want card number 6 when you had 5 other cards?
    Why did you want card number 5 when you had 4 other cards?
    Why did you want card number 4 when you had 3 other cards?
    Why did you want card number 3 when you had 2 other cards?
    Why did you want card number 2 when you had 1 other card?

Personally, it seems like a nifty collector's item, but more importantly it's about getting 2% back daily on Apple Pay purchases plus 3% back from the thousands of dollars I spend her year from Apple. Finally, a more tangental desire for this card (but will happen anyway) is getting more people to use Apple Pay (or really any other *Pay service) so we can finally get to a point where not carrying your physical card is commonplace because all merchants are aware fo the benefits and popularity of NFC-based *Pay systems.
    I get plenty of cashback/rewards, etc., on the other 6 cards I have.  After filtering out the sarcasm, the "anything Apple is revolutionary" responses and the fact that I still can't buy groceries in SoCal at major chains with Apple Pay yet, it seems it's more or less a card for those who live and breath Apple.  Not for me.  But it looks cool.  ;)
  • Reply 30 of 91
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.
    1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 91
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Personally, it seems like a nifty collector's item, but more importantly it's about getting 2% back daily on Apple Pay purchases plus 3% back from the thousands of dollars I spend her year from Apple. Finally, a more tangental desire for this card (but will happen anyway) is getting more people to use Apple Pay (or really any other *Pay service) so we can finally get to a point where not carrying your physical card is commonplace because all merchants are aware fo the benefits and popularity of NFC-based *Pay systems.
    I get plenty of cashback/rewards, etc., on the other 6 cards I have.  After filtering out the sarcasm, the "anything Apple is revolutionary" responses and the fact that I still can't buy groceries in SoCal at major chains with Apple Pay yet, it seems it's more or less a card for those who live and breath Apple.  Not for me.  But it looks cool.  ;)
    1) That wasn't sarcasm. That was pointing out your foolish comment about how plethora of cards as an argument again Apple joining the fray.

2) I go to about a half dozen grocery store chains in So Cal and they all accept Apple Pay except Ralph's. I won't even use the Apple Card at grocery stores because I get a much better refund with another card. If you also get increased benefit from that specific store type (which seems likely when you're holding a half dozen cards) then why even bring that up as a reason the Apple Card isn't a good option for anyone?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 91
    rob53 said:
    I'm still getting one and will get rid of my extra cards I've kept to keep my credit card history higher.
    You probably know this, but don’t cancel your oldest card. One of the factors that goes into your credit rating is the length of time you’ve had you’ve earliest line of credit. To max out the points the age has be something like an absurdly long thirty years.
    SoliGeorgeBMaclostkiwiwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 91
    rob53 said:
    You probably know this, but don’t cancel your oldest card. One of the factors that goes into your credit rating is the length of time you’ve had you’ve earliest line of credit. To max out the points the age has be something like an absurdly long thirty years.
    Yep. Unfortunately I still have a single card with an annual fee because it's my oldest card. I have over 800 on my FICO (nearly every month) but I'm afraid if I let that go my credit will tank. If I knew it would be, say, 10 points I could deal with that, but I simply don't know. It's a 1.5% minimum cash back card and it's only $39 per year, but it still feels like throwing away money by keeping it.

Also, having bought a new vehicle this year I already have one credit check under my belt for the last 2 years. The Apple Card will be another and will start its own 24 month credit check on my report. Luckily these don't affect your score much or at all until you're up tot 4 or 5 hits within a 2 year period. I'll likely be buying another property (and possibly a plane) which I'll finance because paying off a loan with a small interest rate costs a lot less money than selling stocks which are growing much faster. Still, that might ding my credit rating, but I hope it can still stay in the excellent range if and when those other purchases go through. There may be a month of dropping, but installment credit tends to look good after you've made your payments on time and in full for a couple months.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

1) That wasn't sarcasm. That was pointing out your foolish comment about how plethora of cards as an argument again Apple joining the fray.

2) I go to about a half dozen grocery store chains in So Cal and they all accept Apple Pay except Ralph's. I won't even use the Apple Card at grocery stores because I get a much better refund with another card. If you also get increased benefit from that specific store type (which seems likely when you're holding a half dozen cards) then why even bring that up as a reason the Apple Card isn't a good option for anyone?
    Kroger, Ralphs’ parent company, recently announced that all their stores will accept Apple Pay in the near future.

You claim you “get a much better refund with another card “.
    Could you please tell us which card that would be, some of us might benefit from that info, thank you!
    StrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Michail said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Kroger, Ralphs’ parent company, recently announced that all their stores will accept Apple Pay in the near future.

Could you please tell us which card that would be, some of us might benefit from that info, thank you!
    American Express has 2 cards that offer better than 2% at grocery stores. One has no annual fee and gets up 3% back and the other has a $95 annual fee but gets you 6% back. Both max out at $6000 in spending per annum for groceries for the higher cash back option. If you run the numbers you'll get up to an additional $180 minus $95 for an additional $85 per year if you spend an average of $500 per month at a grocery store. I don't, so the free card would be good enough.

The Amazon card offers you 5% back at Whole Foods.

I believe there are also some credit cards (not store cards) that favor Target and Walmart spending, but I don't shop there enough to keep track of them.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 91
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    gutengel said:
    Do you know what credit bureau they'll be checking before approving and issuing the card? I got my credit scored freezed since the hack in Equifax years ago.
    Same here. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 91
    MichailMichail Posts: 9member
    Soli said:
    Michail said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

American Express has 2 cards that offer better than 2% at grocery stores. One has no annual fee and gets up 3% back and the other has a $95 annual fee but gets you 6% back. Both max out at $6000 in spending per annum for groceries for the higher cash back option. If you run the numbers you'll get up to an additional $180 minus $95 for an additional $85 per year if you spend an average of $500 per month at a grocery store. I don't, so the free card would be good enough.

The Amazon card offers you 5% back at Whole Foods.

I believe there are also some credit cards (not store cards) that favor Target and Walmart spending, but I don't shop there enough to keep track of them.
    Thanks for the info, Soli; much appreciated!
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 91
    gutengel said:
    Do you know what credit bureau they'll be checking before approving and issuing the card? I got my credit scored freezed since the hack in Equifax years ago.
    sirozha said:
    Same here. 
    We have no idea which bureau(s) they'll use, the minimum credit rating required to be accepted, or the interest rate.

Since Apple said that the interest rates will be lower than other cards I wonder if that means they'll only accept credit ratings well into the Excellent range. I think that's how I'd do it, at least to start, since this is clearly the more anticipated and sought after credit card that has ever launched. I'm fully expecting people to get approved and then complain about having to wait weeks for their physical card to be etched and mailed to them.

Marcus is a new service by Goldman Sachs that used TransUnion for one account (see link below) so it might be that credit bureau, but I don't think this is anything to worry because we're all going to get plenty of information about this card and how to sign up for it as soon as it launches.

• Reply 39 of 91
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 
    For the final time, we're talking about Apple Pay payments, but you made it very clear that you believe that 2% from the Apple Card is less than 2% from other cards, ߤ榺wj;♂️ But that's fine. I understand why you felt a need to defend the "2% is better than 2%" stance.

If you can't understand how a card can have both pros and cons, that people don't just have or use a single card, or why Apple is coming out with a card to help push Apple Pay adoption then there's clearly nothing I can say that will make you comprehend what I thought were very simple motivations by Apple or why customers would want a card that pays 2% back for Apple Pay purchases. Clearly you are going to be upset when this card launches, but at least take solace in the fact that the Apple Card benefits all credit and debit card users wanting to use NFC-baed payments (which I know you can't understand right now, but I'm hopeful that one day you will).

I get much higher than 2% back across the board specifically because I know to juggle my cards and pay them off monthly, but if you want to ignore intrinsic benefits of various card types and minimize a daily refund over one that makes you wait until you've paid off your balance then you go right ahead.

Frankly, I don't know why you've come here to say how much this card sucks. Do you score the internet looked for forums of every card that doesn't suit your particular need to say how much they suck? God I sure hope not.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobrapscooter63