tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

It's ok that aesthetics don't matter to you.  Other people think differently.  I like for things to look nice as well as work, especially when I'm paying as much as an iPhone costs.
    That new bump with the three lenses does look nice and aesthetically pleasing. We agree to disagree.
    Interesting that you make the point since you think it doesn't matter what it looks like, but fair enough.  I think you're in a tiny minority.
    So, do you want the improved imaging and video, not to mention A/R, or not?
    Not sure what relevance that has, but they're not features I'm particularly interested in.  Moreover, those features aren't contingent on a square camera bump in the corner.

So, where should that camera bump go, and what should it look like?

Given that Apple has always placed its camera(s) in that corner, I'm not sure why moving it makes any sense. 

This is your opportunity to demonstrate your design skills; where should it go, and why?
    Tbh, if they made the phone thicker and got rid of the bump, that's 90% of my issue dealt with, the feel of it is more irritating than the look. Though in terms of placement, centralising it would remove the asymmetry to good effect, and a cleaner orientation, in a proper square, a line, or a cross formation rather than the rather chaotic looking offset of the three lenses and flash would probably work.
    Do you likewise complain that the ports on the back of an iMac aren’t centered or symmetrically balances to either side? Why not?

1. I wouldn't consider buying an iMac, I'm a MacBook guy, so I don't have much interest in it.
    2. Even if I did, those ports don't bother me, they're a very small part of the back on the iMac, and their location has a function that would be impeded by centralisation.
    3. Even if I did have interest and they did bother me, I don't see the back of my monitor screen very often, I see the back of my iPhone all the time.
    “or symmetrically balances to either side”

The ports on the back of the iMac could be placed on either side, symmetrically, but they arent. They’re on one side only. No one complains about this. It’s the same reason why the pearl clutching here is silly nonsense. 
    The location of the iPhone camera is not functionally useful, and judging by the negative comments here and elsewhere I've seen is aesthetically disfavoured by a sizeable proportion, in a product where aesthetics matter to a sizeable proportion.
    You're good.

Your technical review of the iPhone 11 camera array is the best ever, and especialy brilliant, given that it hasn't actually been announced or delivered!
    Right, you've got no retort, so you fall back on sarcastic dismissal.  Real mature.

I'm well aware that it hasn't been announced or delivered.  I can only give my opinion on the information available, and have never claimed to be doing anything but that.
    avon b7
  • Reply 82 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    kevin kee said:
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    It used to be that Apple made things that looked better from the back than their competitors looked from the front.  I really hope they've got something special in the works for 2020, because that bump is grotesque.
    Really. When you use your phone what side do you look at? What side matters the most? When was the last time you looked at the back of your phone? Does it really matter why it looks like. What matters is that IT JUST WORKS.
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

It's ok that aesthetics don't matter to you.  Other people think differently.  I like for things to look nice as well as work, especially when I'm paying as much as an iPhone costs.
    That new bump with the three lenses does look nice and aesthetically pleasing. We agree to disagree.
    Interesting that you make the point since you think it doesn't matter what it looks like, but fair enough.  I think you're in a tiny minority.
    So, do you want the improved imaging and video, not to mention A/R, or not?
    Not sure what relevance that has, but they're not features I'm particularly interested in.  Moreover, those features aren't contingent on a square camera bump in the corner.

So, where should that camera bump go, and what should it look like?

Given that Apple has always placed its camera(s) in that corner, I'm not sure why moving it makes any sense. 

This is your opportunity to demonstrate your design skills; where should it go, and why?
    Tbh, if they made the phone thicker and got rid of the bump, that's 90% of my issue dealt with, the feel of it is more irritating than the look. Though in terms of placement, centralising it would remove the asymmetry to good effect, and a cleaner orientation, in a proper square, a line, or a cross formation rather than the rather chaotic looking offset of the three lenses and flash would probably work.
    Do you likewise complain that the ports on the back of an iMac aren’t centered or symmetrically balances to either side? Why not?

1. I wouldn't consider buying an iMac, I'm a MacBook guy, so I don't have much interest in it.
    2. Even if I did, those ports don't bother me, they're a very small part of the back on the iMac, and their location has a function that would be impeded by centralisation.
    3. Even if I did have interest and they did bother me, I don't see the back of my monitor screen very often, I see the back of my iPhone all the time.
    “or symmetrically balances to either side”

The ports on the back of the iMac could be placed on either side, symmetrically, but they arent. They’re on one side only. No one complains about this. It’s the same reason why the pearl clutching here is silly nonsense. 
    Nice cherry picking there.  They don't complain about it because the back of an iMac normally faces a wall, and the only time they ever see those ports is when they reach around the back to find them, in which case it is convenient for all the ports to be in the same place in an easily accessible corner.  That's functionally preferable.

The location of the iPhone camera is not functionally useful, and judging by the negative comments here and elsewhere I've seen is aesthetically disfavoured by a sizeable proportion, in a product where aesthetics matter to a sizeable proportion.

The camera sensor is usually the thickest component in the phone. In fact in the latest iterations of the iPhone, it sticks out by 1mm or so. This is because all of the other components are able to get thinner, except this one.

Now because it is so thick, it cannot be stacked on top of the battery which takes 90% or so of the surface of the phone. This leaves very few options: the top or the bottom. The bottom is out for obvious ergonomic reasons so that leaves the top. Now here is the thing: modern phones are PACKED with components. There is no room anywhere. This means that centering the camera would mean moving another large component and risking to have to grow the phone somewhere else. 

The next explanation is an aesthetic one. If the designer decides to center the camera, then where is the flash going? To the left? to the right? Either way it will look unbalanced. The default position goes back to the upper left corner, just as in the previous iterations of the phone. 

Finally, moving the camera, beside detracting from the heritage, improve nothing and make the phone larger than needed would mean alienating millions of user who have been accustomed to this location over the past 10 years.

90% is a clear exagerration.  As a visual guesstimate, I'd say about 60-70% of the surface area of the iPhone XS and Max.

The flash moves with camera, obviously, I'm not sure why that's even being presented as a problem as it's already included in the same component array.

I don't imagine many people are emotionally tied to the position of the camera.  Dressing it as heritage is a bit weak.

Additionally, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has taken photos with a finger obscuring part of the view because the lens is so tight to the rim on of the device.  Moving the camera gives rise to an opportunity to place it in a better position for actually taking photos.  You know, like a camera.
    gatorguyavon b7
  • Reply 83 of 89
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

No, other people don't. Unless you can demonstrate that any measurable amount of users spend any measurable amount of time looking at the back of their own phone, then you're spouting nonsense...utterly predictable, reactionary nonsense.
    Wtf?  I'm not claiming to represent anything other than myself.
    Ha! Is that so? -->
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

I think you're in a tiny minority.
    Literally 1 post later.

As I said. Your posts in relation to the camera housing are reactionary, and predictable, and completely unimportant, and forgettable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

No, other people don't. Unless you can demonstrate that any measurable amount of users spend any measurable amount of time looking at the back of their own phone, then you're spouting nonsense...utterly predictable, reactionary nonsense.
    Ha! Is that so? -->
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Literally 1 post later.

As I said. Your posts in relation to the camera housing are reactionary, and predictable, and completely unimportant, and forgettable.
    His opinion on the aesthetics and working well is only his.

His opinion on whether someone is in a minority or not is not based only on his opinion. It is based on other people's opinions too. For example those voiced here and, in effect, they represent a minority.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 85 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Ha! Is that so? -->
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    crowley said:
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Literally 1 post later.

Where am I claiming to represent anyone else in those posts?  I don't even follow your argument in order to disagree with it.  Believing that liking this supposed aesthetic is a minority opinion doesn't mean I think I'm speaking for a majority, or anyone.

I propose that it is you in fact, who are reactionary, your ADF lickspittling is thoroughly predictable, you've added nothing of any importance or interest, and I certainly won't be putting any effort into remembering anything you've said.  The rest of us will carry on sharing opinions, without the raving nonsense, thanks.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I'm not really sure Apple will use the square layout for a two-camera set up. They already have a design for this and Apple tend to make the premium models visually differentiated.

That said, the square isn't to my taste, but I have always felt that the phone designs have always been about the best possible representation running in second to the hardware offering. Whether that was the black plastic footer on the 1st gen, the panelling and rim antenna of the 4/5, to the notch and camera bumps of the current generation of phones and so on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I'm not really sure Apple will use the square layout for a two-camera set up. They already have a design for this and Apple tend to make the premium models visually differentiated.

That said, the square isn't to my taste, but I have always felt that the phone designs have always been about the best possible representation running in second to the hardware offering. Whether that was the black plastic footer on the 1st gen, the panelling and rim antenna of the 4/5, to the notch and camera bumps of the current generation of phones and so on.
    That's a good point and it is true. The two lens setup is well accepted, tried and tested and probably appeals to more people than these rumouree square bump.

I've seen a couple of physical mockups of the iPhone 11 and one of them looked like some kind of unibody creation that appeared to include the camera bump as part of the rear case. As it wasn't 'framed' in any way, so it was less prominent (but still somewhat jarring) but if it is going to house one two modules, a square format seems like overkill.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 514member
    Without a case, the camera bump does sort of stand out, in a not-so-good way.  BUT, I keep a case on my iPhone 7 Plus (a black one) and same case on this new iPhone will look just fine.  As a matter of fact, the bump will just blend in with the case.

Should I choose to upgrade (doubtful if the prices are still high), I'm happy with putting my normal black case on it.