Apple releases third public beta of iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13, macOS 10.15 [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2019
Apple is giving iPhone and iPad owners another set of builds of its milestone operating systems, with the third public beta versions of iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13 and macOS 10.15 now available to try out.

Participants of Apple's public beta program can download the latest versions to their devices as an over-the-air update, via Settings > General > Software Update. Members of the public interested in trying out the next-generation operating systems can sign up for the program by the official website.

The third batch of betas arrives ten days after Apple provided the second generation, on July 8.

This new batch is thought to be functionally similar to the developer beta versions, which saw the fourth builds of both iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 provided for testing on Wednesday.

Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. Instead, the recommendation is to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before making any major changes.

Update: The tvOS 13 and macOS 10.15 Catalina betas were released shortly after the iOS and iPadOS variants, and are also available to try out.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    After reading the release notes for this beta, iPadOS seems stable enough to try out. I’m only putting the beta on my iPad because it isn’t critical (iPhone is for me though). I have to get ready for all the family tech support when the real deal drops. I’ll post if there is anything noteworthy.
    dhawkins541jeffythequicknetmage
  • Reply 2 of 20
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    I see the iOS update, but I still don't see the MacOS update yet.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    yuniverse said:
    I got MacOS 10.15 Public Beta 19A512f yesterday evening. My guess is that it might take a while for it to populate to all the CDNs Apple uses. Check again and it should show up for you.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    They pretty much broke SMB file sharing in Beta 2 so it will be interesting to see how this release fares.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 5 of 20
    dr. x said:
    yuniverse said:
    I got MacOS 10.15 Public Beta 19A512f yesterday evening. My guess is that it might take a while for it to populate to all the CDNs Apple uses. Check again and it should show up for you.
    I'm running Catalina developer betas and the latest one seems to have the same build number (19A512f) as the public beta.  Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Didn’t realize San Francisco had a rounded variant.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Public beta 3 seems to be a bit better but I still can’t get the data plan on my Apple Watch to retain the setting, so no data plan again! Out of 8 weeks of having the Watch, the data plan has worked for lees than 2 days. 
  • Reply 8 of 20
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    Public beta 3 seems to be a bit better but I still can’t get the data plan on my Apple Watch to retain the setting, so no data plan again! Out of 8 weeks of having the Watch, the data plan has worked for lees than 2 days. 
    So evil of Apple forcing you to install beta software, and completely without any warnings whatsoever…
    lolliverfastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 9 of 20
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    The last beta was very buggy, emails crashing on reply all, forward and host of other annoyances so hopefully this fixes those issues.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 still turns itself off and on by itself occasionally. By turns itself off, I mean back to the Apple logo. But when it comes back on, it doesn’t require a password or Face ID. I had hoped that would be fixed. I reported it twice, and I guess I’ll have to report it again.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Looking forward to iPadOS once the bugs are worked out.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 12 of 20
    This is the first update that shouldn't be considered Alpha.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    bobbobson said:
    This is the first update that shouldn't be considered Alpha.
    By any and all relevant definitions that’s wrong. 
    melgrossStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 20
    CiprolCiprol Posts: 53member
    Installed iPadOS 13 PB2 and now 3 on my iPad mini 4, and I have to say that it's rather nice after a week. (PB2 prior to PB3). It hasn't crashed on me yet and have not found an app with significant issues except for the photo app where it seemed to be having trouble organizing my albums from my Mac. Tempted to install on my iPad Pro but probably best to hold off till a later PB or GM.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    I'm finally downloaded it.  Its working great for me.  The only issue I've found is with Procreate,  where the app won't let you export PSDs.  You can save the image, but that's it.  Here's hoping they have a fix for it sooner rather than later, since the OS is less than 2 months from being released

• Reply 16 of 20
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Only iPhone issues I've noticed so far are in Maps:  "favorites" are not staying consistently filed across these betas, and the app dumps to springboard occasionally.  Also:  really wish Apple would add "via" stops and current speed / alerts to Maps.  With Garmin dead and gone, those were the only two things I miss.  Yes, I've asked.  
  • Reply 17 of 20
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    melgross said:
    My iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 still turns itself off and on by itself occasionally. By turns itself off, I mean back to the Apple logo. But when it comes back on, it doesn’t require a password or Face ID. I had hoped that would be fixed. I reported it twice, and I guess I’ll have to report it again.
    That’s called a re-spring and it is what happens when springboard (the program that runs the home screen) crashes. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This public beta is hot garbage on my 12,9” iPad Pro. I had issues with touch responsiveness with iOS 12 but it’s way worse with the iOS 13 beta. If it doesn’t get resolved once iOS 13 launches I’m taking my iPad in to have it looked at. 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netmage said:
    melgross said:
    That’s called a re-spring and it is what happens when springboard (the program that runs the home screen) crashes. 
    Whatever it’s called, it’s been happening all too often.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    iPadOS Safari “open in new tab” is missing this build, but a work-around is to two-finger tap on the link.
    mbenz1962