Apple to open office in Vancouver's new 400 West Georgia tower

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has plans to open a massive office facility in one of Vancouver's trendiest high-rise developments, according to those familiar with the matter.

Image Credit: Westbank Corp
Image Credit: Westbank Corp

The tower, named 400 West Georgia, is a 24-story office building owned by Westbank Corp and Allied Properties REIT, set to be completed in the spring of 2020. Once completed, the development will be 367,000 square feet. According to the project's website, 400 West Georgia's manifesto reads, "Designed to both reflect nature and honor its surrounding envi-ronment, 400W.Georgia will create a unique and constantly changing experience for all who encounter it."

The building was designed by Michael Sypkens and Esteban Ochogavia of OSO, Merrick Architecture, and was designed to function both as an office building, as well as a large sculpture.

From the outside it appears as a rotating stack of glassy cubes, supposedly inspired by a Japanese paper lantern. According to Bloomberg, Apple's office is said to take up two floors.

Available office space in Vancouver is rapidly shrinking as more technology companies open offices within the city, attracted by strong labor pools, proximity to west-coast U.S. companies, and friendly immigration policies. Both Toronto and Vancouver have the tightest vacancy rates in North America. Apple also has offices in Toronto, located in the 30-story Brenmer Tower, owned by the Southcore Financial Centre.

Last year, Apple signed a lease in Washington D.C., planning to open a multi-use space across from the Carnegie Library.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Beautiful building worthy of Apples offices.
    applesnorangeslolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 133member
    I want to go work there!
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Vancouver, BC, Canada?  Or Vancouver, WA, USA?  They are within hours of each other, and easily confusing to speak of without the correct context. 

I presume its BC, given the mention of Toronto. Just asking for the sake of clarity and to avoid giving Bloomberg any free clicks. 
    AppleExposedgregoriusmrandominternetpersoncornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Yes, Vancouver BC. I’m hoping this means that the ECG functionality on all those Apple employees’ Apple Watches will be turned on soon, and that Apple Card will launch in Canada (an **extremely** Apple Pay-friendly country) simultaneously with the US version.
    AppleExposedlolliverradarthekatjbishop1039cgWerks
  • Reply 5 of 18
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I knew I should have patented that building design when I was 2...
    radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I knew I should have patented that building design when I was 2...
    Haha, unless you’re older than 57 I’m claiming prior art. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 18
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Ha, finally, the Canadian medicare system and low wage (0.76 USD exchange rate) are too attractive. Perfect timing, just the housing market start to head down, easy for green applebie to enjoy the city (don't need to live on boat or island), with spare money to hike the mountain - don't think there are too many down hill skier in the software group - water surfer more of a "snow bird" (heading south at winter time) type. IMHO. Good for BC local software engineer too, don't need to heading Redwood to find decent job.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Not sure how old Apple Maps is for this area of Vancouver, BC, but there's no new building going on at this address unless that address is a general location. It's in the heart of the Vancouver business district, near BC Place (CFL, MLS, rugby) and where the cruise ships sail to Alaska.

cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Ditto for Google maps, but the street view shows the building site boards up with artwork for the new tower.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    rob53 said:
    Not sure how old Apple Maps is for this area of Vancouver, BC, but there's no new building going on at this address unless that address is a general location. It's in the heart of the Vancouver business district, near BC Place (CFL, MLS, rugby) and where the cruise ships sail to Alaska.

The building is super new. When I look up images of it, I only get concept art. The picture in this article may also be concept art.

My point: It may not even exist yet.

Re-read the article and it states:
    "set to be completed in the spring of 2020"
  • Reply 11 of 18
    rob53 said:

The building is super new. When I look up images of it, I only get concept art. The picture in this article may also be concept art.

It's summer 2019 and a building this large can take a year to build. This is why I commented on the age of the Apple Maps satellite image of Vancouver. If the address is correct, there's still an occupied building on the site so I assume that has to go first. Next time I'm in the PNW, I'll take Amtrak into Vancouver. It's only 1-2 miles from the train station.

• Reply 12 of 18
    applericappleric Posts: 40member
    Beautiful design! Not sure why they wrote "supposedly inspired by a Japanese paper lantern" without giving a reference as to why it's "supposedly"
  • Reply 13 of 18
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Look like a very "hot" building with all the glasses.  Worry about the migration birds.  Sharp edge defiant tornado.  Definitely Cutting Edge.  
  • Reply 14 of 18
    For more information check out http://westbankcorp.com/work/400-w-georgia. It has more images of the design. On the Deloitte page (the main occupant) it says construction is well under way. Went to google maps and when I do street view I see the Deloitte billboard with obvious construction behind. When I zoom out it shows an old photo of the previous building. Moving the street view up the alley you can see the construction. It does appear Vancouver is only getting some map updates from each mapping vendor.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    rob53 said:
    Probably pretty old. But, while I haven't been there for about a year, it wasn't there at that time. We must have some Vancouver residents on these boards to give us the play-by-play, LOL.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jamesnayjamesnay Posts: 14member
    rob53 said:
    rob53 said:

It's summer 2019 and a building this large can take a year to build. This is why I commented on the age of the Apple Maps satellite image of Vancouver. If the address is correct, there's still an occupied building on the site so I assume that has to go first. Next time I'm in the PNW, I'll take Amtrak into Vancouver. It's only 1-2 miles from the train station.

appleric said:
    Beautiful design! Not sure why they wrote "supposedly inspired by a Japanese paper lantern" without giving a reference as to why it's "supposedly"
    Hi Rob,

I live in Vancouver within a short walk to the site of 400 W Georgia and I can definitively confirm that they began excavating the site about a year ago.  The last time I passed the site a few weeks ago I believe work to complete the sub floors was completed and the work on upper floors has begun so the target for sometime in 2020 is probably pretty accurate.  I’ll try to snap a picture for you if I’m around the site on the weekend.

James
    1stcgWerks
  • Reply 17 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Well, it's a matter of opinion really and I will be the first to disagree with some of the other comments - This building looks atrocious

• Reply 18 of 18
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jamesnay said:
    I live in Vancouver within a short walk to the site of 400 W Georgia and I can definitively confirm that they began excavating the site about a year ago.  The last time I passed the site a few weeks ago I believe work to complete the sub floors was completed and the work on upper floors has begun so the target for sometime in 2020 is probably pretty accurate.  I’ll try to snap a picture for you if I’m around the site on the weekend.
    The library across the street is a pretty nice piece of architecture, too. I miss being able to easily go there. But, I love Victoria too. :)