iPhone loyalty rates down to 8-year low, survey claims

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Mmm.... cherry picking marketshare to make it as if there're more iPhone users moved to Samsung.

Of 38,000 people who've traded in iPhones..., and 26% of people trading in an iPhone X switched to another vendor (Samsung is only one of them).

Conversely, only 7.7% of Samsung Galaxy S9 (where are other vendors?) owners picked up an iPhone -- and 18% of the iPhone owners who left the platform (18% of 26% is 4.6%) chose a Samsung device.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 82 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Soli said:
    There's really nothing surprising about this. The plateauing of smartphones design is upon us and with vendors following Apple's lead (which may or may not be from stolen IP) there are more than enough similarities. People that care about protecting their data probably won't jump to Android-based devices and those that are fine with built-in crapware (at best) and spyware (at worse) will likely never see a reason to use an iPhone. To each their own.
    1)  Rather than "stolen ip" it is more probably just a case of a maturing market -- just as happened with PCs a couple decades ago.  Samsung hardware (or that from Huawei or most any other vendor) is a close enough match to Apple's that most people won't notice enough of a difference to pay a premium price simply to get an Apple on the back cover.

The fact the knockoffs now perform and act like iPhones are exactly why it's stolen IP.

So the fact that it rains in China means that they stole our weather?
    That battle was fought 10 years ago -- or 20 years ago if you include MacOS.
    What a strange analogy to compare something organic to a tech IP.

Just because it rained in China 10 years ago doesn't make rain disappear.
    So, you have no response....  OK...  I didn't expect one.

I don't think I can respond to it when you're comparing rain to actual patents. It's just ridiculous.

Sorry, China can't steal weather but you know damn well they steal technology. 
    Yes!  The Liar in Chief keeps telling us that!    And we all believe and obey....
    While I dislike the president, your hatred makes you uselessly irrational. US companies have complained of Chinese IP theft for decades. (Recent headlines have chinese autonomous car companies stealing US tech from Apple and Tesla). To pretend it’s all just pretend because you don’t like the administration is about as dim as one can get. Talk about cognitive dissonance. 
    Yawn....  Why is it you Trumpers claim that those who denounce Trump's Lies, Racist, Xenophobic, Homophobic, Misogynistic, Dictatorial, Traitorous behavior do it simply because we "hate him".   Is it because you cannot bear to face that which you defend?

And, if China were stealing American IP as you claim, then why did it only become a "National Security Emergency" under the Liar in Chief?  Why didn't those companies act before this?  And, why are they protesting his actions now?   It all adds up to what the Liar in Chief -- or perhaps we should call him the Conman in Chief does best:  Lie

So why would he attack China?  First every would-be dictator needs an enemy to distract from his own actions.   For Trump that's China, Iran and Obama as well as Blacks, Latinos and Muslims.   Second, he fears China because he knows that they will soon replace the U.S. as the world's largest economy -- and that which he fears he attacks.  It's just what he does. 

I am sorry that you got conned -- or should I say "Trumped"...   That was foolish.   But stop parroting his ridiculous claims and lies.  Only you Trumpers believe that nonsense.  Nobody else.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 83 of 91
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Yawn....  Why is it you Trumpers claim that those who denounce Trump's Lies, Racist, Xenophobic, Homophobic, Misogynistic, Dictatorial, Traitorous behavior do it simply because we "hate him".   Is it because you cannot bear to face that which you defend?

And, if China were stealing American IP as you claim, then why did it only become a "National Security Emergency" under the Liar in Chief?  Why didn't those companies act before this?  And, why are they protesting his actions now?   It all adds up to what the Liar in Chief -- or perhaps we should call him the Conman in Chief does best:  Lie

So why would he attack China?  First every would-be dictator needs an enemy to distract from his own actions.   For Trump that's China, Iran and Obama as well as Blacks, Latinos and Muslims.   Second, he fears China because he knows that they will soon replace the U.S. as the world's largest economy -- and that which he fears he attacks.  It's just what he does. 

I am sorry that you got conned -- or should I say "Trumped"...   That was foolish.   But stop parroting his ridiculous claims and lies.  Only you Trumpers believe that nonsense.  Nobody else.
    That's a lot of delusional crap you're spewing right there. It's obvious that you hate Trump but he is your president whether you like it or not. And yes, China IS stealing our IP and they need to be dealt with. At least Trump is the first president willing to stand up to them unlike those before him.
    yuck9
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Tim Cook has tainted the Apple Brand somewhat with his political action on behalf of the company.
    yuck9
  • Reply 85 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Rayer said:
    elijahg said:
    jdw said:
    The continued presence of the "notch" coupled with what consumers perceive as the biggest bang for the buck is no doubt driving this.
    The notch doesn't concern me personally, but the price does. I'll always (within reason) be loyal to Apple, but more and more people are looking at Apple's £1000 phones and thinking "nah, you know what, I'm going to switch to Android," where they get 75% of the features for 25% of the price. Some of the Chinese Android phones really are surprisingly good, even at the £250 price bracket. My friend's £250 Xiaomi has incredible low-light camera performance. Makes the Xs look like something from 5 years ago.

Current iPhone toting friends are either holding off on a 5s sized device, or as I am, cheaper phones. The flagship 6s was £650 which was pretty good bang for your buck. It was way better than any other phone then. The flagship Xs is now £1000, but hardware wise is it really that much better than the competition? Is it really that much better than the 6s? Software is of course much better than Android, but that was already factored into the £650 iPhone's cost. The Xs is certainly not £350 better than my 6s was at the time.
    Both the notch and the price keep me from considering an iPhone. There is no reason for the notch to be there. When you look at the top of the iPhone to the bottom of the notch, it is the same height or less than all the other iPhones that came before it. So what did it gain you? Nothing good. Now videos are either cut into or you have a black bar where one would have been anyway if they didn't have the notch. I currently have an almost 2 year old Pixel 2 and refused to update to the Pixel 3 because they raised the price $150 without adding $150 in value. I would have considered the iPhone XR because the price is slightly better than the P3 and probably going to be better than the P4, but not as long as there is a notch 
    Ignorance on parade. The notch doesn’t cut into most video due to the screen ratios used. Only if you zoom in on the video, which then chops off either end of the video anyway, which is why that is not the default or desired way to watch video on an iOS. 

The use of the notch enables the iPhone to eliminate both the forehead and the chin, resulting in a bigger screen in a smaller package. This is a win. 

It’s no more bothersome than a rear-view mirror is on a windshield. 
  • Reply 86 of 91

Soli said:
    There's really nothing surprising about this. The plateauing of smartphones design is upon us and with vendors following Apple's lead (which may or may not be from stolen IP) there are more than enough similarities. People that care about protecting their data probably won't jump to Android-based devices and those that are fine with built-in crapware (at best) and spyware (at worse) will likely never see a reason to use an iPhone. To each their own.
    1)  Rather than "stolen ip" it is more probably just a case of a maturing market -- just as happened with PCs a couple decades ago.  Samsung hardware (or that from Huawei or most any other vendor) is a close enough match to Apple's that most people won't notice enough of a difference to pay a premium price simply to get an Apple on the back cover.

The fact the knockoffs now perform and act like iPhones are exactly why it's stolen IP.

I don't think I can respond to it when you're comparing rain to actual patents. It's just ridiculous.

Yes!  The Liar in Chief keeps telling us that!    And we all believe and obey....
    While I dislike the president, your hatred makes you uselessly irrational. US companies have complained of Chinese IP theft for decades. (Recent headlines have chinese autonomous car companies stealing US tech from Apple and Tesla). To pretend it’s all just pretend because you don’t like the administration is about as dim as one can get. Talk about cognitive dissonance. 

I’m not a Trump supporter, genius. What is wrong with you...you believe anyone who disagrees with your extremely naive view on China is automatically a Trump supporter? You have issues, dude. 
    edited July 2019 yuck9
  • Reply 87 of 91

Tim Cook has tainted the Apple Brand somewhat with his political action on behalf of the company.
    Nonsense. Prove it. What political action? Standing up for equal civil rights for gays? You have a problem with this?
    AI_lias
  • Reply 88 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Soli said:

I’m not a Trump supporter, genius. What is wrong with you...you believe anyone who disagrees with your extremely naive view on China is automatically a Trump supporter? You have issues, dude. 
    Yeh, I notice that among Republicans and Trumpers -- they all deny it.   Why is that?

And, since when is reality -- I mean the real reality rather than Trump's Alternative version -- "extreme"?
  • Reply 89 of 91
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    TouchID missing may very well be a big cause for this
  • Reply 90 of 91
    RocwurstRocwurst Posts: 60member

BankMyCell made an error in their press release - they actually found that iPhone loyalty has in fact increased by 2.7% from 2018 to 2019.

This resulting article is thus completely inaccurate as the 2018 figure of 91% loyalty is from a different company (CIRP) with a different methodology and the 2017 figure is from Statista. Only the 2019 figure of 73% is from BankMyCell's own data using their own methodology.

CIRP in fact reports that iPhone loyalty in 2019 is actually at an all-time high of 91%

But the kicker is that if we DO look at BankMyCell's own data for 2018 (as shown in the graph below), it shows that iPhone loyalty has INCREASED 2.7% instead of decreased.

In other words, this whole story is completely bogus with BankMyCell showing two completely different results with the supposed drop only appearing based on a faulty comparison with different survey company results and methodology.

If they had stuck with their own data for 2018 and 2019, the article would be all about how iPhone loyalty had increased since last year.

Completely Crazy. 

edited July 2019 muthuk_vanalingam