2020 iPhone may adopt iPad Pro-style ProMotion displays

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2019
Next year's iPhones could adopt 120-hertz refresh rates, giving their displays the same level of responsiveness as the iPad Pro, according to one leaker.

2020 iPhone

"Apple is considering a switchable 60Hz/120Hz refresh rate screen on the iPhone in 2020, and is discussing with Samsung and LG," said @UniverseIce on Twitter. The person doesn't have a track record with Apple leaks, but is a well-known source on Samsung topics. Samsung and LG are known OLED suppliers for the iPhone XS and XS Max.

On the iPad Pro, ProMotion can dynamically scale refresh rates as needed for the sake of performance and battery life. The tablet continues to use LCD technology however, and Apple has yet to implement 120 hertz on any of its OLED products.

Few rumors have emerged about 2020 iPhones, likely since Apple is still finalizing design work. Rumors have suggested that Apple will use a smaller TrueDepth camera -- allowing it to shrink the notch on OLED screens -- plus a seven-piece lens system for the rear camera. A more questionable claim is that there could be a China-exclusive model that switches out Face ID for subscreen Touch ID.

It's generally believed that Apple will have three models, all of them OLED-based, in 5.4-, 6.1-, and 6.7-inch sizes. The 6.1-inch unit may forego 5G support however, relegating it to mid-tier status like 2018's iPhone XR.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Sign me up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I honestly don't see much difference between 120Hz and 60Hz. I think it would be just wasted resources, especially on iPhones.  
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    netrox said:
    I honestly don't see much difference between 120Hz and 60Hz. I think it would be just wasted resources, especially on iPhones.  
    It is a world of difference on iPad Pro.
    pbruttoToyogamattinozStrangeDaysdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    netrox said:
    It is for Pencil compatibility (most probably). Those who own a Pencil cannot use it on the iPhone. Pencil 2 requiring flat borders for magnetic attachment and wireless charging, it will be most probably Pencil 1. Then there is a catch: Pencil 1 charging on the iPhone’s Lightning port, idiots will use it as a selfie stick when charging to drop their iPhones then will file a class action lawsuit.

edited July 2019 GeorgeBMacdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The Jony Ive notch will be a joke in years to come. I won't buy another iPhone until they lose it. I agree that 120 Hz is wasted on an iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    The Jony Ive notch will be a joke in years to come. I won't buy another iPhone until they lose it. I agree that 120 Hz is wasted on an iPhone.
    FaceID trumps “notch-gate” IMHO.  It is amazing.
    king editor the gratedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Pencil support would be cool as an OPTION to those who want it. Of course we'll get the idiots digging up Steve's grave and his quote about no one wanting a stylus even though you won't NEED a stylus to use iPhone.

Options are good but not at the expense of adding another switch in the settings app. If Apple can find a way to auto-connect an Apple Pencil to any device, that would be seamless. The only proble would be stealing of Pencils.

Another option would be registering you Pencil to iCloud so it's automatically paired to every device you own and can't be used if stolen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    netrox said:
    It is for Pencil compatibility (most probably). Those who own a Pencil cannot use it on the iPhone. Pencil 2 requiring flat borders for magnetic attachment and wireless charging, it will be most probably Pencil 1. Then there is a catch: Pencil 1 charging on the iPhone’s Lightning port, idiots will use it as a selfie stick when charging to drop their iPhones then will file a class action lawsuit.

While pencil improvements are a bonus it reduces visual strain generally. Great for slow scrolling of text and other interface movement. Which should still be handy on an iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    There sure are a *lot* of stories proclaiming how great the 2020 iphones will be: 5g, better display, more-inconspicuous notch (love or hate it, if all the tech's in a smaller profile that's better), plus the typical processor & battery chatter. 

2019-2020's iphone product cycle is starting to seem similar to the 5s to 6 cycle; 5s appearing largely incremental (at the time, 64bit was seen as arguably unnecessary for smartphones) whereas 6 was clearly transformative and everyone bought one. 2019 is looking incremental (but may have a new under-the-hood improvement for us to debate), but everyone will buy the 2020.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Incorrect. The cut out of the sensor array is a function vs form argument, and the function wins. It allows for removal of the forehead and chin, which allows for a bigger screen in a smaller package. This is absolutely a win. 

If you had one you’d know it’s a complete non-issue in real world use. No more a bother than your rear-view mirror is in your windshield. 
    AppleExposedrevenantwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Do you own an IPad Pro? Have you ever used a Pro Motion display? Everything on screen appears much smoother and realistic. It also makes text that is scrolling r moving easier to read.  Things don't move across the screen in a blur. 

Having felt unsure about the notch I can assure you that Face ID is TOP NOTCH all the time, and the notch isn't even noticeable. I watch a lot of video on my Xs Max and have never felt the notch to be intrusive. 

It sounds like you have never used either of the devices I have mentioned so to call the tech a joke is kind of silly and short sighted in my opinion.
    fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    pro motion is amazing. one of my students dropped her samsung tablet for the ipad pro and the fluidity was mesmerising. it is like they put silk in the screen it was so smooth. would i want that in my phone? why not? i might not if the phone became $1,300 for the base model. but i doubt that will be happening.

what notch? i have been using mine since december 2018, not noticeable, and i picked up screen real estate by not having the bottom covered up with a big band and touchID.
    watto_cobra