Apple issues iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 updates for older iPhone and iPad models

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2019
Apple has quietly issued updates to some earlier iOS versions, including new builds of iOS 9.3.6 and 10.3.4 for use by older iPhone and iPad models that are not able to update to the latest iOS versions.

Issued alongside the update to iOS 12.4 that is available for many iOS devices, Apple has shipped an update that applies to devices not able to use the current operating system release. On Monday, updates for iOS 9.3.6 and 10.3.4 were made available to download to a small number of devices.

The iOS 9.3.6 update is meant for the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad 3, and iPhone 4s, while iOS 10.3.4 is for the iPad 4 and iPhone 5.

According to release notes for the updates, they consist of a number of security updates, as well as a fix for a GPS bug.

Apple's main focus is on keeping its main operating system releases up to date and secure, but the company can periodically issue software updates for older operating systems. Typically this is used to close security issues that affect the older hardware.

The updates will be the first of their kind for the older iOS hardware for quite some time.

Apple issued iOS 9.3.5 in August 2016 and iOS 10.3.3 in July 2017. Code signing for each version was stopped in October 2016 and October 2017 respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    As long as update does not slow the Apple devices further, I will final upgrade from my original iOS that came with my iPhone 5C! I will wait 3-6 month to see how the new 10.3.4 performs before doing the update. Apple cannot trick me like they done many times before and slow down my Apple iPhones and iPads devices.
    edited July 2019 dysamoriapropod
  • Reply 2 of 27
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member

In Canada, the release notes talk about new data transfer option.
    watto_cobraavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 27
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    clarker99 said:

In Canada, the release notes talk about new data transfer option.
    That's for the 12.4 release (and is included in those release notes everywhere). It's much more unusual for Apple to release security updates for older versions of the OS (which is what this article is talking about).
    space2001roundaboutnowdysamoriachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I look forward to installing update iOS 9.3.6 on my iPad 2, which has been in continuous use since I bought it in April 2011. That’s a heck of a record for longevity and reliability. The display too is still as good as the day I bought it. Nowadays it is mounted on a kitchen cabinet just to the left of the stove and is charged continuously. It is used for recipes, timing things, social networking and other activities where speed is not essential. It still nearly never crashes, and I hope the update won’t change that. 
    racerhomie3jkichlinedysamoriaosmartormenajrwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 5 of 27
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Apple again supporting older models. Nice!!

I look forward to installing update iOS 9.3.6 on my iPad 2, which has been in continuous use since I bought it in April 2011. That’s a heck of a record for longevity and reliability. The display too is still as good as the day I bought it. Nowadays it is mounted on a kitchen cabinet just to the left of the stove and is charged continuously. It is used for recipes, timing things, social networking and other activities where speed is not essential. It still nearly never crashes, and I hope the update won’t change that. 

I have no fu**ing idea why Apple doesn't promote this use more often. Apple would easily take over Alexa if they allowed a docking mode for older devices people have laying around.
    dysamoriawatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 6 of 27
    My first generation iPad Mini is still on 9.3.5 with software update telling me is up to date :(

I still can’t load all my iCloud books on iBooks. :(((
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Elitegate10Elitegate10 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    As long as update does not slow the Apple devices further, I will final upgrade from my original iOS that came with my iPhone 5C! I will wait 3-6 month to see how the new 10.3.4 performs before doing the update. Apple cannot trick me like they done many times before and slow down my Apple iPhones and iPads devices.
    It's not even released for the 5c. 10.3.4 only fixes a GPS bug that doesn't exist on the 5c because the 5c uses the same GPS reciever as the 5s. Only the 5 has an older model of that receiver so that's why the 5 got 10.3.4, along with iPad 4. 9.3.6 is also only for 4s, iPad 2, 3 and 1st gen mini. Not the iPod touch 5 because no GPS
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    moustache said:
    My first generation iPad Mini is still on 9.3.5 with software update telling me is up to date :(

These updates are for cellular models only. WiFi-only iPad mini, iPad 2, 3 and 4, and 5th gen iPod Touch are not getting these updates (I can confirm for the iPod Touch).

These updates do not include any security fixes, only a GPS bug fix. Only iPhones and cellular iPad models have GPS hardware.

Oddly the iPhone 5C misses out even though the iPhone 5 is getting an update. Perhaps the GPS hardware/firmware in the iPhone 5C is different because the model is a year newer, and doesn’t have the bug?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What motivated Apple to do this update for older devices?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member

I have no fu**ing idea why Apple doesn't promote this use more often. Apple would easily take over Alexa if they allowed a docking mode for older devices people have laying around.
    I fail to understand your comment. There is an iPad Air in an easel stand connected to a charger with “Display & Brightness-Auto-Lock-Never” doing duty as a digital clock in my living room. So, what is the “docking mode” that you want?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    This update is for iPhones and only cell model iPads...if your iPad is WiFi only and running 9.3.5, you won’t get the update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    dysamoria said:
    “Apple released these older software updates to address an issue that could impact GPS location performance and lead to the system date and time being incorrect. In a support document, Apple says that starting in November 2019, some iPhone and iPad models introduced in 2012 and earlier will require this update to maintain an accurate GPS location due to the GPS time rollover issue that began affecting GPS-enabled products from other manufacturers on April 6, 2019. 

Apple recommends all users with eligible devices install the new updates. Apple devices won't be affected until November 3, 2019, so there should be plenty of time for users with affected iPhones and iPads to install the new software. 

According to Apple, those who don't update to the new version of iOS by November 3 might see their iPhones and iPads failing to maintain an accurate GPS position, and features that rely on correct date and time, like syncing with iCloud and fetching email, might not work.”

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/22/apple-releases-gps-bug-fix-older-iphones-ipads/ 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 27
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    dysamoria said:
    Never knew they updated iOS for older models, for those who could not update current iOS. Nifty idea to try and keep all iOS customers in the ecosystem.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    The 9.3.6 update for the old iPhone 4s does not seem to want to do an OTA download and install.  Just sits with endless download and install message.
    airmanchairman
  • Reply 15 of 27
    iPad 4 Wifi Only does not take the update (remains at 10.3.3), so this is some verification that it is Cellular only. My iPhone SE updates to 12.4.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    plankton said:
    The 9.3.6 update for the old iPhone 4s does not seem to want to do an OTA download and install.  Just sits with endless download and install message.
    I got around this on my iPad 3 & iPhone 4S by downloading the IPSW files on my PC & installing them via iTunes. This was after iTunes informed me that it needed to upgrade to version 12.8 in order to perform the upgrade. I ignored it (I want to keep the iTunes App Store) & used the local IPSW method, which installed both successfully!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    MurvelMurvel Posts: 24member
    dempson said:
    moustache said:

These updates are for cellular models only. WiFi-only iPad mini, iPad 2, 3 and 4, and 5th gen iPod Touch are not getting these updates (I can confirm for the iPod Touch).

These updates do not include any security fixes, only a GPS bug fix. Only iPhones and cellular iPad models have GPS hardware.

Oddly the iPhone 5C misses out even though the iPhone 5 is getting an update. Perhaps the GPS hardware/firmware in the iPhone 5C is different because the model is a year newer, and doesn’t have the bug?
    benji888 said:
    This update is for iPhones and only cell model iPads...if your iPad is WiFi only and running 9.3.5, you won’t get the update.
    I have the iPad 2 with cellular, and it still doesn't find the 9.3.6 update. Neither over the air nor through iTunes (12.9.5.5 on macOS 10.14.6).
  • Reply 18 of 27
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iOS 9.3.6 only successfully installed in one out of 4 devices, i.e. the iPad 3.  

Its endlessly waits for Download and Install on iPhone 4s.

After installation, the iPad 2 says Hello, and wait for activation indefinitely, rendered it totally unusable!

The iPad mini can’t even find the update!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ivanh said:
    iOS 9.3.6 only successfully installed in one out of 4 devices, i.e. the iPad 3.  

Its endlessly waits for Download and Install on iPhone 4s.

After installation, the iPad 2 says Hello, and wait for activation indefinitely, rendered it totally unusable!

The iPad mini can’t even find the update!
    I just successfully installed iOS 9.3.6 on two of my older devices, an iPad 2 and an iPad 3.

I did both updates through iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    BigAlTBigAlT Posts: 2member
    I also was unable to update to 9.3.6 via the OTA installer so I downloaded the 9.3.6 ipsw file and tried to install it on my iPhone 4s via iTunes. It started to install then stopped. I had to reboot my iPhone and it went into restore mode. I tried an update via iTunes using the 9.3.6 file numerous times but the phone would either give me an error that it was unable to update or would hang at waiting for iPhone after verifying the update with apple. I finally had to download iOS 9.3.5 and was able to successfully reinstall it on my iPhone via update through iTunes.
     After reinstalling 9.3.5 ITunes  says the system is up to date when asking to check for update.
    edited July 2019