Third-generation Apple TV Software updated to 7.3.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2019
Apple has released an update to the third-generation Apple TV, with the older model of Apple's set-top box gaining changes alongside other updates for the fourth-generation Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K.

Apple TV app running on a third-generation Apple TV
Apple TV app running on a third-generation Apple TV

The update to the Apple TV Software is release 7.3.1 and build number 12H864, taking over from the version 7.3 release Apple issued in May.

It is unclear what specific changes are being made to the Apple TV Software, but it is likely to be in line with some of the alterations made to tvOS 12.4, which was issued to the public at the same time on Monday.

The previous update to version 7.3 introduced Apple TV Channels, which allowed users to subscribe to various channels and packages via the interface, without needing to download a separate dedicated app. The new Apple TV Experience also provided recommendations of shows and movies from streaming services, a Watch Now "Up Next" section for synchronization across devices, dedicated Kids and Sports sections, and Family Sharing of subscriptions with up to six family members.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Apple updating 7 year old hardware. Gotta love it!
    n2itivguylolliver
  • Reply 2 of 6
    klock379klock379 Posts: 16member
    I know, right? I remember back in May when I found I got the new TV app I was so impressed. I thought OS update on that 3rd gen box has gone the way of the dodo :)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I still have this version of the Apple TV though it has been regulated to the bedroom television in my travel trailer. That said I surprised and happy to see the updates still happening. An occasional extra glass of wine and cheap movie deals mean I have lot of content I need my Apple devices to use.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    Got excited for a second, then realized I have a 2nd generation Apple TV, not 3rd generation. I hardly every use it anymore (or my Amazon FireStick) because my TCL Roku smart TV does almost everything I need.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Apple would be daft not to update then to be able to run the new Apple TV pay channel assuming this is available on the updates.  I haven't checked out all my older Apple TVs yet (now, like many folks here I suspect, relegated to guest bedrooms lol)..  
  • Reply 6 of 6
    isilverisilver Posts: 15member
    Still can’t listen to Apple Music with my Apple TV v3