Apple's watchOS 5.3 is now available

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple has released watchOS 5.3 on Monday, one week after the developer beta went live.

watchOS 5.3 now available

Apple had released the beta build of watchOS 5.3 last week along side the developer beta of iOS 12.4 as well.

The update comes two months after the launch of watchOS 5.2.1, which focused primarily on bug fixes. It also added new pride-themed Watch faces.

In this latest update, Apple has restored the Watch's Walkie-Talkie feature, which the company had disabled after becoming aware that a vulnerability that could allow a user to listen in on another iPhone's audio.

Additionally, Canadian Apple Watch-wearers can now take advantage of ECG functionality, which had recently been approved by Health Canada, allowing the Apple Watch to alert wearers of irregular heart rhythms.

The updated version of watchOS can be downloaded by going to the Watch app and selecting General > Software Update and following the instructions on screen. From there, the iPhone can fetch and install 5.3. The process could take as long as an hour.

In order to install watchOS 5.3, owners must have their iPhone fully updated, connected to Wi-Fi, and within Bluetooth range of their Apple Watch. The Watch must be on its charger and have at least 50 percent power.

WatchOS 6 should release this fall, and will debut Cycle, Noise, and Calculator apps, as well as a stand-alone App Store.
marksuter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Both Canada and Singapore just gotten ECG function with watchOS 5.3

StrangeDaysjbdragonlolliverjony0
  • Reply 2 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    chaicka said:
    Both Canada and Singapore just gotten ECG function with watchOS 5.3

Freaking sweet for them!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Doesn't seem to work when iPhone is 1OS 13 beta.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    As a Canadian, I will just wait for the next apple update. Along with MBP 16”
  • Reply 5 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    And I don't have my watch charging cable with me!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Can’t wait til September, watchOS 6 and WATCH Series 5. Been on Series 3 for almost the past 2 years. Looking forward to the size, speed and battery life increase. Love the newer larger face options with up to 8 complications on one face too. Expect Series 5 to be a keeper for more than 2 years too as is my Xs Max I reckon.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    There seems to be no watchos 5.3 showing up for me.  
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Is that a new watch face in the picture?
    thorgan
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Doesn't seem to work when iPhone is 1OS 13 beta.
    It wasn’t working for me either at first because it requires watchOS 5.3 but also iOS 12.4 or else the ECG app is just waiting for setup in the Health app which wasn’t doing anything until I upgraded to 12.4.  Maybe they didn’t flip the switch in the Health app for Canada and Singapore in iOS 13 beta.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    thorganthorgan Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    marksuter said:
    I was wondering the same...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zz5555zz5555 Posts: 2member
    thorgan said:
    marksuter said:
    I was wondering the same...
    I think that's the California face for watchOS 6