iPhone XR tops US iPhone sales during June quarter as 2019 models loom

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone XR took 48% of U.S. iPhone sales during the June quarter, according to CIRP research estimates published on Monday, suggesting that buyers are indeed concerned about price.

iPhone XR

That share is the "highest we've seen for an individual model since the iPhone 6 in 2015, which shared top billing with the 6 Plus, but only had two outdated legacy models offered as alternatives," CIRP commented. "Apple set out to create a competitive model, with current features like a large screen on a midsize handset, at a price that falls near the leading Android phones."

In fact the XR's share is believed to have surpassed what the iPhone X and 8 Plus achieved together in the same quarter of 2018.

The current iPhone lineup, the XS and XS Max included, is said to have composed 67% of Q3 2019 sales. The three-year-old iPhone 7 and 7 Plus continued to represent a significant share, though they were each outsold by 2017's 8 and 8 Plus.

CIRP further claimed that 35% of U.S. iPhone owners are subscribed to Apple Music, and that 48% are on some level of paid iCloud storage plan. 15% are said to be using Apple News, though the firm didn't specify how many are paying for Apple News+.

"Success in services has varied, depending on the competition and how much of a head-start Apple has," wrote CIRP co-founder Mike Levin. "After Apple discontinued iTunes, Apple Music is its unified music service, yet its 35% share still puts it behind Spotify and Pandora."

Apple is just two months away from revealing 2019 iPhone models. These may lose 3D Touch, but gain triple-lens rear cameras on the successors to the XS and XS Max, and twin lenses on the XR's follow-up. The latter may also sport new colors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Best iPhone bang for the buck imo.  I am getting 2 of these for my daughters on Cyber Monday.  They will be an even better bang for the buck then.
    edited July 2019 macplusplusn2itivguyMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    It is a no brainer that this model will outsell the top of the line XS and XS Max, because it is well, I was going to say affordable, but let's revise that to less expensive. The question is how much better is it selling than the premium phones Apple makes? A lot of people are willing to just run up the credit card and get the best thing out there. Status I guess.
    n2itivguychemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Elitegate10Elitegate10 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I don't know which phones Xr owners previously had, but why the Xr? Why not the 8 Plus or X? I had the choice last year between 8 Plus and Xr and went with the 8 Plus. I don't mind the 828p display, but i definitely wanted 3D Touch and Optical Zoom with the Dual Camera. Yes the A12 clip is slightly faster and also the camera quality on the Xr is slightly better, but do you notice? Most consumers won't even know the difference between the chipsets. However so many are complaining that the Xr won't feature Live Wallpapers due to the lack of 3D Touch.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    lmac said:
    It is a no brainer that this model will outsell the top of the line XS and XS Max, because it is well, I was going to say affordable, but let's revise that to less expensive. The question is how much better is it selling than the premium phones Apple makes? A lot of people are willing to just run up the credit card and get the best thing out there. Status I guess.
    A lot of us can afford the very best without “running up the credit card” as you snarkly put it.  

But go with whatever makes you feel better about your personal financial situation 

doctwelveStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    2770 Lorca2770 Lorca Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Best bang for the buck.  I am getting 2 of these for my daughters on Cyber Monday.  They will be an even better bang for the buck then.

I agreed, while many pundits and experts keep telling everyone about the camera, lenses, and blah, blah, and the competition; the reality is that out of 1000’s of pictures taken, barely a 5 per cents are loaded to social networks, including personal emails. The truth is that those pictures are looked at less than 5 seconds, therefore, being wasted using memory, and advanced lenses and photography software. A professional uses, right, personal equipment, so why wasting money with useless expertise knowledge purchasing camera features that WON’T be used? The price for what the XR iPhone is, with the given the technology, the best in the market.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Why wouldn't it sell well? Every time I see someone with a new phone it's one of these. I know a family that got one for everyone in it including a son-in-law lol.

I think it would have sold a ton more had it had a smaller screen than the XS with a lower price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lmac said:
    God I'm sick and tired of people making judgments about people based on how they want to spend their money. If you're happy with the XR and thinks it great value and fits your needs, then I'm absolutely happy for you. Also happy for people who see the value in the XS and want to spend the extra money on that (either on their credit card or not). Everyone makes a personal judgment call on every dollar they spend and nobody, here or elsewhere, has any right to infer anything from those choices. Sorry for the rant, just knew these comments would be coming. 
    applesnorangesAppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingamn2itivguyStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I think price-sensitivity is the wrong conclusion to draw. Other than a slim section of society, price always plays some role in the purchase decision and that isn't the meaning of price sensitivity. Also keep in mind that Apple's marketing was almost entirely focussed on the XR product.

Rather the XR provides excellent value and superior battery life to other iPhone models. Additionally it's a device which caters to those which are happy to swap certain premium features in exchange for a larger screen and lower entry price. Such as removing 3D Touch and using an LCD display instead of OLED. Without going into a long winded technical discussion, these changes are essentially invisible to the user while drawing down the cost of the device. (Also providing a good reason for premium buyers to purchase Xs models.)

Just a note to add: The fact that device sales are dividing into significant percentage categories is a good indication that Apple are reading the market correctly. If we saw that certain models were being marginalised, that would be an indication of the opposite. 
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedschlackStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Not surprising at all. the Xr is great phone and the Xs adds very little for the extra $200. The only true benefit is the camera, IMO. I think a lot of people are seeing the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    If I’m understanding the numbers correctly, the iPhone 7 and 8 combined are selling better than the XS models? Whoa. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    lmac said:
    Or maybe people are choosing an XS because it has a better screen, camera, water resistance, and a more compact form factor.  The glass maybe also be more appealing to some. 

I doubt anyone is buying an XS as a “status” symbol. You may find this hard to believe based on your personal financial situation, but there are people who can pay for an iPhone XS without financing it. 
    StrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lmac said:
    1) Then why did the more-expensive X outsell every other less-expensive iPhone model for every quarter when it was out? Oh yeah because price isn’t the only (or sometimes even the prime) consideration.

2) No, but a lot of people are willing to use the provided interest-free loan that is the monthly payment system. It costs a third of a typical cable bill. Personally the X series is worth to me - the better screen, the steel-wrapped shell, etc. YMMV
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

schlack said:
    If I’m understanding the numbers correctly, the iPhone 7 and 8 combined are selling better than the XS models? Whoa. 
    These sales numbers are about as accurate as the weather forecast. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lmac said:
    Or they want the better camera? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member

"Success in services has varied, depending on the competition and how much of a head-start Apple has," wrote CIRP co-founder Mike Levin. "After Apple discontinued iTunes, Apple Music is its unified music service, yet its 35% share still puts it behind Spotify and Pandora."

This must be some interesting math...
    Assuming on 3 music services.
    Apple = 35%
    Spotify = 35.1%
    Pandora = 35.1%

That means the total is greater than 100% for market share, and users are using multiple music services.  These numbers are kind of meaningless without a pie chart that shows the overlap of users and services.

Also, are we removing the ad support users?  Comparing an Apple Music subscription to ad supported would corrupt the results.  We should probably look at revenue instead... (related to music) rather than market share.

• Reply 16 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    lmac said:
    1) Then why did the more-expensive X outsell every other less-expensive iPhone model for every quarter when it was out? Oh yeah because price isn’t the only (or sometimes even the prime) consideration.

2) No, but a lot of people are willing to use the provided interest-free loan that is the monthly payment system. It costs a third of a typical cable bill. Personally the X series is worth to me - the better screen, the steel-wrapped shell, etc. YMMV
    Because it was new, different and people thought they were future proofing their purchase. The logical extension to your question is, why hasn't the most expensive iPhone currently available achieved the same results? Why were the trade-in offers vastly improved - before the most important sales day of the year - and promoted right from the home page of Apple.com?

A possible answer is that price can be the single most important impediment to a sale once you hit your customers price ceiling and run out of customers as a result?

You bought an X but didn't upgrade it the following year. You, and lots of other buyers. The problem is that there probably aren't enough buyers left out there to maintain the growth of higher priced models so those models suffer.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Buyers unconcerned about iPhone prices bought their XS/XS Max at launch, or waiting for 2019 models. These phones are bought for your spouse/mum/kids/etc where XR is just good enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I don't know which phones Xr owners previously had, but why the Xr? Why not the 8 Plus or X? I had the choice last year between 8 Plus and Xr and went with the 8 Plus. I don't mind the 828p display, but i definitely wanted 3D Touch and Optical Zoom with the Dual Camera. Yes the A12 clip is slightly faster and also the camera quality on the Xr is slightly better, but do you notice? Most consumers won't even know the difference between the chipsets. However so many are complaining that the Xr won't feature Live Wallpapers due to the lack of 3D Touch.
    My wife made the same choice earlier this year.  In addition, she liked the presence of the home button.

Yeah, yeah, I know, once you go "no home button" model, you never want to go back.  Blah, blah, blah.  None of the X series offered anything in which she was interested enough to pay that much more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    My wife made the same choice earlier this year.  In addition, she liked the presence of the home button.

Yeah, yeah, I know, once you go "no home button" model, you never want to go back.  Blah, blah, blah.  None of the X series offered anything in which she was interested enough to pay that much more.
    And that’s part of Apple’s problem. The older phones are still quite good and everything most people want them to. AR is neat, but the average consumer doesn’t care about it. Some people want a top notch camera, but many don’t care that much, and while techies pontificate on why an OLED screen is better, the vast majority of consumers can’t tell the difference between a good LCD screen, like the Xr’s, and an OLED screen. I compared them side by side at a store and was unable to see any difference at all. And that’s what we’re seeing in this report. 

The Xs May be technically better, but for many/most people, it’s practically not any different. The extra $300 in your pocket is better, practically speaking. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 20 of 20
    For me it was one thing …Product Red vs not Product Red. I was willing to sacrifice 3D Touch and OLED for Product Red because I love the color and like the intentions behind it even if it is only a small contribution to the cause. Having the 2 cameras are good and all, but one camera is fine for me because often I’d find the telephoto lens didn’t give me a better shot in the times I applied it. But that’s just me
    watto_cobra