It is past time for Bloomberg to retract or unequivocally prove the iCloud spy chip story

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60

All this time on from its original earthshaking claim, Bloomberg is staying quiet and hoping we'll forget about it. That doesn't sound like a news organization with a fantastic story and it doesn't sound like a responsible news organization either. It's making Bloomberg sound much more like a news organization whose desire for attention overrode its journalism.
    You mean like every single other news organization in America now?  Including CNN, FoxNews, ABC, CBS, and NBC?  All any of them care about is clicks and views.  None of them care one whit about fair and accurate reporting anymore.  It is quite a shame.
    cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 60
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    normm said:
    Welcome to the club. Now that your ox has been gored, maybe you will listen a bit to people who don't believe that the mass media is accurate or truthful as a whole.
    This is not the mass media, this is a single bad actor, Bloomberg.  This seems to me to be a deliberate anti-Chinese rumor blown up into "news" without any physical evidence.  How could Bloomberg publish an article about spy chips everywhere, without first finding a single spy chip anywhere???  

Science works by a skeptical and reproducible search for physical evidence; conspiracy-theories advance by ignoring physical evidence and scientific consensus in favor of confirming prejudice.  This is a conspiracy-theory.  There are plenty of mistakes and inaccuracies and laziness in the mainstream media, and even some lying for profit, but there is not a coordinated conspiracy.  I don't understand, for example, how people can believe that all climate scientists and mainstream media are conspiring to invent a fake climate crisis, and only the spokespeople for the coal industry are telling the truth.

Dude, it's anti-Apple.

Anti-Apple IS mass media.

avon b7 said:
    I think the same way as expressed in the article. If you are going to publish stuff like this you really need something solid to support it.

On the face of it, it seems there is no evidence to back the claims up. The only thing I would accept as reasonable for the silence would be pressure from government for national security reasons but we would probably not get wind of that for a long time. That would pre-suppose the claims were more or less correct but admitting to them publicly would do more harm than good but that veers too wildly into conspiracy theory for me.

Meanwhile your knockoff iPhones/knockofff iPads that stole tech from Apple are freely data mining users and no one gives a sh**. But but but FACEBOOK!!
  • Reply 43 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    muaddib said:
    The story was probably hatched by Definers
    You know, I never put 2+2 together on that idea but now that you mention it I wonder.

What does that mean?  What are Definers?
    cornchipdysamoria
  • Reply 44 of 60
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    You're asking the media to retract half-truths and lies?  LOL yeah right.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    This seems to me to be one of those government "planted" stories, much like the Gulf of Tonkin event in the Vietnam War era, or the Remember the Maine story in an earlier war.  Fake news with a purpose.  In the earlier cases, the purpose was to rouse Americans to support going to wars which were otherwise unsupportable.  This time, it's to rouse Americans to support an otherwise unsupportable trade war with China.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    muaddib said:
    I must be out of touch. What is a Definer?
  • Reply 47 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    muaddib said:
    You know, I never put 2+2 together on that idea but now that you mention it I wonder.

What does that mean?  What are Definers?
    A right wing 'think tank' near DC. Don't need to say anything else really.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    flydog said:
    False comparison.

There are verifiable stories. The stories you linked are confirmable. The iCloud spy chip is not, and Bloomberg hasn't done what it said it was going to do in regards to a review.
    edited July 2019 13485
  • Reply 50 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Face it people, we now live in a time where no one is willing to admit they were wrong or made a mistake. This is all systemic issue caused by the US legal system. Lawyers have been telling clients never to admit anything, make the other side prove their case whether guilty or innocent. The media today has taken the same position. Along with never admitting any mistake, they see admitting as causing into question their credibility on everything they do. They are so far down the hole at this point no one sees the media as creditable anyway they have nothing to loose.

The other thing, at this point Bloomberg will never provide a public statement about what happen. I suspect they are being sued by Supermicro and maybe Apple. Bloomberg has serious liability issue if their reporters and editorial staff did not do their jobs and falsely reported information. Supermicro stock tanked and their investors were hurt, this could end up being costly. Refer to the above is they are being sued, Bloomberg lawyers are telling not to admit anything make Supermirco prove the false that is never happen.

edited July 2019
  • Reply 51 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    maestro64 said:
    Face it people, we now live in a time where no one is willing to admit they were wrong or made a mistake...  Along with never admitting any mistake, they see admitting as causing into question their credibility on everything they do. 

Far too many individuals are no different. The AI forums are but one evidentiary microcosm. 
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 60
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Easy to check for yourself if you have such a motherboard.
    Just look at all the data packets emitted from it (using a packet sniffer, that can be a Unix box) and see if any have an unexplainable origin and destination address (for example an ip address located in China).
    This will end all endless and useless speculation.

• Reply 53 of 60
    "picture it uses to illustrate the size of the alleged chip appears to be a mundane directional gate." Translation: it was a noise filter!
  • Reply 54 of 60
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    normm said:
    Welcome to the club. Now that your ox has been gored, maybe you will listen a bit to people who don't believe that the mass media is accurate or truthful as a whole.
    This is not the mass media, this is a single bad actor, Bloomberg.  This seems to me to be a deliberate anti-Chinese rumor blown up into "news" without any physical evidence.  How could Bloomberg publish an article about spy chips everywhere, without first finding a single spy chip anywhere???  
    guessedd  
    Science works by a skeptical and reproducible search for physical evidence; conspiracy-theories advance by ignoring physical evidence and scientific consensus in favor of confirming prejudice.  This is a conspiracy-theory.  There are plenty of mistakes and inaccuracies and laziness in the mainstream media, and even some lying for profit, but there is not a coordinated conspiracy.  I don't understand, for example, how people can believe that all climate scientists and mainstream media are conspiring to invent a fake climate crisis, and only the spokespeople for the coal industry are telling the truth.

Ever heard of emergent phenomena? 
    Scientific consensus has nothing to do with science (you cannot vote on the ‘nature of reality’), apart maybe from being wrong, as history has shown.
    Science depends on great minds able to see a system behind apparent unconnected natural events, and so are able to grasp a part of the ‘nature of reality’.
    Statistics as mostly used by some (pseudo) sciences like that of climate and economics are based on “Lies damned lies and ... “ - you guessed it: statistics.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 55 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    knowitall said:
    normm said:
    guessedd  

Ever heard of emergent phenomena? 
    Scientific consensus has nothing to do with science (you cannot vote on the ‘nature of reality’), apart maybe from being wrong, as history has shown.
    Science depends on great minds able to see a system behind apparent unconnected natural events, and so are able to grasp a part of the ‘nature of reality’.
    Statistics as mostly used by some (pseudo) sciences like that of climate and economics are based on “Lies damned lies and ... you guessed it: statistics”.
    Climatology is not a pseudo science. Global warming is readily measurable. Climate change (GW) is observable fact, and it’s explanation as deriving from human activity (AGW; from our emitted greenhouse gases) has reached a five-sigma level, the “gold standard” level of certainty:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climatechange-temperatures/evidence-for-man-made-global-warming-hits-gold-standard-scientists-idUSKCN1QE1ZU

The only people confusing their opinion with facts are conservatives, primarily in the US. You’re entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. 

edited July 2019
  • Reply 56 of 60
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Haha this article will keep being reposted into they admit their anti-Apple propaganda was just that.
    chasm
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Haha this article will keep being reposted into they admit their anti-Apple propaganda was just that.
    Once a quarter, with any updates we find along the way.
    chasm
  • Reply 58 of 60
    JohnDeeJohnDee Posts: 50member
    The only thing bloomberg has actually achieved is that nobody takes them seriously anymore.
    They have proved again and again that they're just a cheap sensational paper, paying peanuts to "journalists" that are desperate to see their name under a published article.
    chasm
  • Reply 59 of 60
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    MacPro said:
    sandor said:
    Sadly, this is the world we live in. 

Disinformation is a daily occurrence, spouting 1/2 truths or blatant lies has no comeuppance. 
    I am convinced part of the reasoning is simply to make money off of publicly traded stocks. 
    Yes, I agree.  Something seems to have altered the entire concept of what constitutes truth these last couple of years.
    Last couple decades I think. There is only "your truth" and "my truth" not the -actual- truth Of course it depends on what your definition of is, is... ;-)
  • Reply 60 of 60
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I am pleased that AI has the integrity to keep calling these charlatans out on their lies.

I would be happier still if Apple (and SuperMicro) would sue them for libel.
    edited July 2019