Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro coming in October for over $3000, claims report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple's release window for a possible 16-inch MacBook Pro has been narrowed down, with a new supply chain report suggesting that the screen with be LCD rather than OLED.

The 16-inch screen is again said to be a LCD model, running at 3072 pixels wide, by 1920. Assembly duties are said to be performed by Quanta and Foxconn. Should the new model have the same pixel density as the existing MacBook Pro, that suggests the screen is approximately a 16.4-inch display on the diagonal.

Any such device would have to be at some point in the manufacturing process now. Prior to the 2016 MacBook Pro, milled shells of the new case enclosure started appearing in April, for the October refresh.

At present, it isn't clear if the report by UDN is uniquely sourced, or a repeat of previous predictions by Ming-Chi Ku or other venues. UDN also believes that the model will come in starting at about NT$90000, over $3000.

The publication is often accurate with details from the supply chain. However, it doesn't have a good track record with Apple's specific product plans. Casting doubt on this particular report is the suggestion that Apple will update the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro again in 2019 at some point.

If true, the MacBook Pro line will see its first significant bump in display size since Apple discontinued the 17-inch model in 2012. Currently, the largest MacBook Pro on offer features a 15-inch Retina display packing a resolution of 2,880-by-1,800 pixels.

A June filing spotted at the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) regulatory website listed seven models prior to the July refresh of the MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports. Three model numbers remain that haven't been taken by the July releases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 606member
    I am still predicting this is the end of the 15.4". The current bezel has more than enough room for a 16.4" screen. I have been waiting patiently for a new MacBook Pro and almost bought the most recent release, but then saw this rumor so I held off. I'm using a maxed out mid 2014 model that still commands a decent resale value.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 104
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    I'm so sick of the Tim Cook era, where every product redesign comes with a substantial price increase over previous model. When Steve was there, products got better at the same price points (e.g. MBP--->unibody MBP), or even were less expensive at the same time (e.g. polycarbonate iMac--->aluminum iMac).
    elijahgjgojcajThe_Martini_CatentropysCheeseFreezekestralirelandConspiracy-AppleAI_lias
  • Reply 3 of 104
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    McJobs said:
    I'm so sick of the Tim Cook era, where every product redesign comes with a substantial price increase over previous model. When Steve was there, products got better at the same price points (e.g. MBP--->unibody MBP), or even were less expensive at the same time (e.g. polycarbonate iMac--->aluminum iMac).
    Why wouldn't a new device, with a larger screen, and likely a true "Pro" version of the Pro, cost more? It's going to have a more expensive screen, likely larger battery and potentially more powerful CPU/GPU combos.  It should cost more...  Even if it has the same config as the "better" 15" (8-core, 16GB and 512GB SSD) it would only be ~$200 more than the 15".

And Jobs raised prices too.  Look at the Mac mini. Started at $499, raised to $599 in 2006, and raised again to $699 in 2010.
    doctwelveRayz2016fastasleepmacxpressnetroxStrangeDayswatto_cobrauraharamanxman11111
  • Reply 4 of 104
    McJobs said:
    Aren't all the headlines lately talking about how the updated MacBook Pro 13 has updated, better specs for LESS money? Even Mac-hating Verge spoke positively about it. 
    MisterKitGeorgeBMacred oakStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 104
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...I'd like to see 4k...?
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Just 1” more? It better have 64gb of ram then. No need to just jump up 1” with no other changes. 
    watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 7 of 104
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 491member
    Hopefully the 17” bemoaners will just shut up and buy this.

macxpressfirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Since I'm primarily on my Mac notebook this is a welcomed rumour. I already pay over $3k for my MBPs so a little bump in price for a larger display and other improvements isn't going to affect me much.

McJobs said:
    You sure do like to rewrite history.
    edited July 2019 doctwelvepscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 104
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MisterKit said:

Of course they won’t. They’ll just bitch about the price. 
    macxpressMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 104
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 121member
    tomahawk said:
    McJobs said:
    Why wouldn't a new device, with a larger screen, and likely a true "Pro" version of the Pro, cost more? It's going to have a more expensive screen, likely larger battery and potentially more powerful CPU/GPU combos.  It should cost more...  Even if it has the same config as the "better" 15" (8-core, 16GB and 512GB SSD) it would only be ~$200 more than the 15".

And Jobs raised prices too.  Look at the Mac mini. Started at $499, raised to $599 in 2006, and raised again to $699 in 2010.
    Because technology gets better and therefore cheaper over time. I paid $3,000 for a top of the line Macbook Pro from 2007 through 2015, and it kept getting better and better.  Now, the minimum Macbook Pro that matches those old specs and meets my needs cost over $4,000, but it actually performs worse than before due to thermal issues and is less useful due to connectivity options.

That being said, if they make an enjoyable keyboard again, I'm willing to suck it up and pay a lot more.  One problem at a time.  Don't discount inflation - what did cars and houses cost back in 2007?

elijahgentropyskestralBigDann
  • Reply 11 of 104
    It is simple. Just take whatever you think would be reasonable...then add $400 to it, and take away some RAM or Storage and you'll know exactly what it will be.
    elijahgAI_lias
  • Reply 12 of 104
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    Rayz2016 said:
    MisterKit said:

Of course they won’t. They’ll just bitch about the price. 
    And about how they just want one more inch, that 16" is just not good enough.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 104
    tomahawk said:
    McJobs said:
    Yeah but see...that's reasonable, and not what it will be.

Reasonable would be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 512 GB.

Instead it will be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 256 GB.
    firelock
  • Reply 14 of 104
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jimh2 said:
    I am still predicting this is the end of the 15.4". The current bezel has more than enough room for a 16.4" screen. I have been waiting patiently for a new MacBook Pro and almost bought the most recent release, but then saw this rumor so I held off. I'm using a maxed out mid 2014 model that still commands a decent resale value.
    I suspect you're correct -- rather than a larger laptop they are just getting rid of the bezels -- sort like the iPhone XS:   pretty much the same external size but with a bigger screen.

Actually, I was hoping for a revamp where, instead of thin, light and minimalist we would get a workstation like product that emphasized functionality over portability.   Oh well...
    elijahgBigDanndtb200
  • Reply 15 of 104
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    tomahawk said:
    McJobs said:
    Yeah but see...that's reasonable, and not what it will be.

Reasonable would be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 512 GB.

Instead it will be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 256 GB.
    16GB? You'll be lucky. The "best" config of any of Apple's range (except the Mac Pro) still only has an abysmal 8GB RAM. I just got an extra 16GB for my 2019 iMac, £52 from Crucial. Apple wants £180 for an extra 8GB. I could get 32GB for £104 and sell the original 8GB, or pay Apple £540 instead. It's absurd.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Due to ever shrinking size of around screen bezel, 16" MBP may feel like current 15" MBP, so the question is overtime 16" Macbook Pro replaces current 15" or in addition ?

watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 17 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wood1208 said:
    Due to ever shrinking size of around screen bezel, 16" MBP may feel like current 15" MBP, so the question is overtime 16" Macbook Pro replaces current 15" or in addition ?
    That would be my guess, at least for the MBPs. Apple may go back the old display size tiering that we saw with the iBooks and PowerBooks. I wonder if this also indicates a move to a new display tech that will allow for thinner bezels and reduced power consumption.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 104
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    No doubt it will come with the lame ass Touch Bar
  • Reply 19 of 104
    “For over $3000 clams “
  • Reply 20 of 104
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    doctwelve said:
    McJobs said:
    Aren't all the headlines lately talking about how the updated MacBook Pro 13 has updated, better specs for LESS money? Even Mac-hating Verge spoke positively about it. 
    In Australia the price rose AUD$100 for the new MBP..
    the MBA dropped in price about 10% though.

they know which one is better.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra