Apple asks White House not to apply tariffs to Mac Pro parts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    Mr FileMakerFeller, I was saying the base model of the new Mac Pro is too expensive for independent low budget professionals! Yes, the machine can be upgraded! The cheese grater model of the Mac Pro was expensive but not unaffordable for low budget pros. Upgrades will always be a costly which is understandable! Many have been waiting for this new Mac Pro since its announcement and is flabbergasted 
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Let me continue from my previous post! A lot of low budget pros have been loyal to Apple and are constantly disappointed with their products mainly the cost! Tim Cook is greedy. He raised the prices of iPhone without a concern of how it would effect the customer! I will not be able to buy a new Mac Pro and definitely not their overpriced monitor with a $999 stand! What an insult to your customers! Thanks!
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Let me continue from my previous post! A lot of low budget pros have been loyal to Apple and are constantly disappointed with their products mainly the cost! Tim Cook is greedy. He raised the prices of iPhone without a concern of how it would effect the customer! I will not be able to buy a new Mac Pro and definitely not their overpriced monitor with a $999 stand! What an insult to your customers! Thanks!
    HAHA The loyalty comment gets me every time.
    watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 24 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Tim Cook has angered a lot of low-end professionals with this overpriced and underpowered Mac Pro entry-level machine. The entry-level iMac Pro has better specs than the Mac Pro. Apple has killed some of the independent professional users by this ridiculous price for the computer and the monitor without a stand. Of course, the cost of the monitor stand is a bit insane. So what can the tariffs do to the price of this ridiculously priced machine but make it more expensive! I believe Apple deserves whatever comes it's way because of their pricing policies. Tim had talked to the President and should have been able to gauge his personality and demeanor towards China. Apple insists on doing business with China despite the economic tug of war. Greed eventually will bite you in the butt! 
    Ignorance on Parade. This MP is very powerful. And the pro monitor is considered cheap by reference monitor standards. 

Anything else you want to get completely wrong?
    watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 53
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple moved final assembly of this product to China. And it's a product aimed at Hollywood, which is largely anti-Trump.

Expecting a tariff exemption from the Trump administration is incredibly brazen. :smiley: 
    elijahgSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Even with tariffs on the components, Apple can still sell the monitor stand for $1000 and make an exorbitant  profit. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 53
    ElCapitan said:
    Even with tariffs on the components, Apple can still sell the monitor stand for $1000 and make an exorbitant  profit. 
    We can assume Apple will make a profit, but without knowing their R&D costs, component costs, production costs, unit sales, etc. we really don't know. What if the only sell, say, 10,000 of them because the cost doesn't warrant the need for Pro Display XDR buyers would their investment costs really be less than 10,000 × $1000 minus all costs? I'd think they have to sell a lot more than that in order to break even.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Soli said:
    ElCapitan said:
    We can assume Apple will make a profit, but without knowing their R&D costs, component costs, production costs, unit sales, etc. we really don't know. What if the only sell, say, 10,000 of them because the cost doesn't warrant the need for Pro Display XDR buyers would their investment costs really be less than 10,000 × $1000 minus all costs? I'd think they have to sell a lot more than that in order to break even.
    I think the point of my OP was that it would not hurt anyone, including Apple, if they got back to normal price levels like they used to have.

But of course virtue signaling and spending on clueless Hollyweired production cost a fortune, so better pile it on to the SSD and memory pricing for ordinary users. 
    edited July 2019 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 53
    The monitor and stand are just 'bling' level items IMHO. There are plenty of alternatives on the market. You don't have to buy everything from Apple you know unless you are the ultimate fanboi???
    Your coment reminds me of some people who won't be seen dead in clothes that are not identifiable as being designed by some currently fashionable designer or from one particular store. People who only shopped at Gap come to mind.
    Gotta keep up with the Joneses haven't we eh?

I own plenty of IT kit. Only 4 bits of that are from Apple. (iPhone 8, iPad Pro, Macbook Pro 2012, Macbook Pro 2015). I have displays from Dell and LG, NAS from QNAP etc etc. If it costs too much then I don't buy it.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53

I already have this sweet machine sitting on my desk!

Unfortunately, it is just virtually!

I'd love to have this machine, but I have absolutely no justification for buying it.

ElCapitanelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    So just the final assembly is in the US? You can’t have your cake and eat it too Timmy.
    It's impossible to manufacture everything in the Mac Pro in the US.
    Uh, no it isn't.  It is currently cost and time prohibitive, but that's not the same as impossible.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Tim Cook has angered a lot of low-end professionals with this overpriced and underpowered Mac Pro entry-level machine. The entry-level iMac Pro has better specs than the Mac Pro. Apple has killed some of the independent professional users by this ridiculous price for the computer and the monitor without a stand. Of course, the cost of the monitor stand is a bit insane. So what can the tariffs do to the price of this ridiculously priced machine but make it more expensive! I believe Apple deserves whatever comes it's way because of their pricing policies. Tim had talked to the President and should have been able to gauge his personality and demeanor towards China. Apple insists on doing business with China despite the economic tug of war. Greed eventually will bite you in the butt! 
    Ignorance on Parade. This MP is very powerful. And the pro monitor is considered cheap by reference monitor standards. 

Anything else you want to get completely wrong?
    Actually, the $6000 base model is NOT very powerful at all.  It CAN be made very powerful with very expensive upgrades that will push the price to well over $10,000.

An 8 core XEON with 256GB SSD and an aging AMD RX580 for $6000 is nowhere near "powerful" and is laughable.  It's an insult to anyone who hands over their credit card to buy this base model.
    edited July 2019 jumpcuttermuthuk_vanalingamgatorguychemengin1avon b7
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Thank you ITGUYINSD! All I was saying is the base model of the new Mac Pro is overpriced and under-powered! Apple is being greedy! 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    So just the final assembly is in the US? You can’t have your cake and eat it too Timmy.
    Uh, no it isn't.  It is currently cost and time prohibitive, but that's not the same as impossible.
    Nope. Impossible. Even the aluminum casing used my Apple products would be difficult to source and probably be cost prohibitive due to the US's minimal bauxite ore deposits. Can you confirm that every bit of material in every component of just the logic board on any Apple product is sourceable and manufactured by US companies on US soil? I don't think that's been the case for decades, regardless of price, but I'd love for you to drive me wrong.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Dell & HP have different story then Apple. Far as I know only Apple has assembly factory in USA.
    The other companies are rely on China. So they don't have card to play from the start.
    Only thing they can do, move to other country.

However Apple has Texas factory that can be use as assembly line for new Mac Pro.
    As long as import parts has no tariff. That's what Apple asking.

You want us to manufacturing stuff in USA then we want no tariff on imported parts. Then we will assemble the Mac Pro in USA.

The business man always in negotiation. If Apple can get no tariff for Mac Pro parts then they can keep the high margin and another marketing slogan as assembled in USA . If Trump not allow this then defend on next tariff hike, Apple adding more price for Mac Pro as new tariff added.
    For Apple, there is no lose story here.

As you all know, if you don't ask, you don't know the answer you might get.

Also one more thing.. Since when Apple produce over powered products per price ratio in the past? They never did.
    Why lots of people buy old Mac Pro case and converted to PC or hackintosh? Because the old Mac Pro case is look nice. Same as new Mac Pro.
    You want to assembled own part and running hackintosh or window then go ahead. No one stop you.. Not even Tim Cook.
    You want the new Mac Pro case then pay me... That's what Apple always said.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Actions have consequences.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

Hmmm.  ‘Low budget’ and ‘pro’ mixed in the same sentence.  Seems a tad oxymoronic if you ask me.

OK, so you’re a small business of one, maybe just getting started and so you’ve got serious budget constraints.  Got it.  But once you’re established with a good revenue stream, $5-10K should be a drop in the annual operating budget.

If this is your f***ing business then you really ought to be prepared to plonk down what it takes to be competitive.  Otherwise, you won’t be around long.  Sorry.  I hope it all works out.

watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Soli said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Those are sunk costs, not applicable to profit margin.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    Nope. Impossible. Even the aluminum casing used my Apple products would be difficult to source and probably be cost prohibitive due to the US's minimal bauxite ore deposits. Can you confirm that every bit of material in every component of just the logic board on any Apple product is sourceable and manufactured by US companies on US soil? I don't think that's been the case for decades, regardless of price, but I'd love for you to drive me wrong.
    I could (but won’t) cite half a dozen US sources of aluminum bar stock that my company supply chain uses.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    I could (but won’t) cite half a dozen US sources of aluminum bar stock that my company supply chain uses.
    Go right ahead. Please source an entire make up of the old Mac Pro to prove to me that every component is or can be sourced and manufactured in the US without any appreciable increase in cost. I would absolutely love for this to be possible.

PS: You could’ve mentioned that Apple uses 100% recycled aluminium from a new process they invented (I set that one up for you), to which I’d then inquire about all the origins of the other materials used in their alloy and machinery used in their process. No matter you try to cut your jingoism Apple and the US are connected to the rest of the world. 
    edited July 2019