NBCUniversal's challenger to Apple TV+ & Netflix is launching in April 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion
NBCUniversal's still-unnamed streaming service will launch in April, CEO Steve Burke said during an earnings call on Wednesday.

Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt in NBC's
Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt in NBC's "A.P. Bio."

Over 500 people are working on the platform, which will rely on the same infrastructure underlying Sky's Now TV in Europe, Burke elaborated. Comcast/NBCUniversal owns Sky, and Now TV is available on iOS, Mac, and Apple TV, among other platforms.

"We believe we have a very innovative way of coming to the market that is very different than anything else and has very attractive financial aspects," said Burke.

NBCUniversal's timing will give Apple TV+ a few months' headstart, but the former may have some content advantages. It will for instance become the exclusive home of "The Office," which for years was one of the most-watched shows on NBC, then Netflix. It's also planning original content with a focus on existing properties, one example being a third season of "A.P. Bio," which stars Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt.

Nevertheless Burke said he's expecting "the vast majority of consumption" in the beginning to be of acquired shows.

Apple TV+ is launching sometime this fall, presumably after the company's annual September press event, when it will likely confirm an exact date, pricing, and lineup.

Many of Apple's original shows have already been revealed. Yet to be learned though is whether the company will license any third-party material, without which it may be harder to compete not just with NBCUniversal but Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Here we go with yet another company that just has to have their own streaming service. When it was just Netflix, Piracy had been dropping down greatly. But as more and more of these streaming services pop up, Piracy started growing again. No one in their right mind is going to sign up to 10+ streaming services.

I sure as hell refuse to sign up for CBS All access. I'm sure not going to sign up for NBC Universal. I'll get my free NBC and CBS from the antenna. I'm already on the fence with Netflex and their huge price increase. Remember the days when it was CHEAP and so much worth it? It's ore than doubled since then.

"We believe we have a very innovative way of coming to the market that is very different than anything else and has very attractive financial aspects," said Burke. What a laughable comment that is. It's no different from everyone else.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposeddysamoriaJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    jbdragon said:
    Here we go with yet another company that just has to have their own streaming service. When it was just Netflix, Piracy had been dropping down greatly. But as more and more of these streaming services pop up, Piracy started growing again. No one in their right mind is going to sign up to 10+ streaming services.

I sure as hell refuse to sign up for CBS All access. I'm sure not going to sign up for NBC Universal. I'll get my free NBC and CBS from the antenna. I'm already on the fence with Netflex and their huge price increase. Remember the days when it was CHEAP and so much worth it? It's ore than doubled since then.

"We believe we have a very innovative way of coming to the market that is very different than anything else and has very attractive financial aspects," said Burke. What a laughable comment that is. It's no different from everyone else.
    NBCUniversal is part of the Comcast conglomerate so it's simply an extension of Comcast's programming into the streaming market. Comcast streams over its own coax-based system but now it will be available over every ISP. Talk about a business that needs to be broken up.

check out https://www.nasdaq.com/article/your-complete-guide-to-everything-owned-by-comcast-cm859101 to see just how large they are. They intent is to control everything.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Can we wait until AppleTV+ actually launches before you start calling other services a challenger to it? I see Apple as the challenger here, not NBC who already has a a successful all-you-can-eat steaming service with original content with Hulu.
    StrangeDaysgilly33chemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    But NBC already make original content? 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    So instead of one $80 cable bill, we will have 8 $9.99 bills. I'm glad I ditched cable and just watch over the air and an occasional iTunes commercial-free movie. You can watch a lot of commercial free iTunes content for $80 a month.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rob53 said:
    jbdragon said:

NBCUniversal is part of the Comcast conglomerate so it's simply an extension of Comcast's programming into the streaming market. Comcast streams over its own coax-based system but now it will be available over every ISP. Talk about a business that needs to be broken up.

check out https://www.nasdaq.com/article/your-complete-guide-to-everything-owned-by-comcast-cm859101 to see just how large they are. They intent is to control everything.
    One of my better performing stocks.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    daven said:
    So instead of one $80 cable bill, we will have 8 $9.99 bills. I'm glad I ditched cable and just watch over the air and an occasional iTunes commercial-free movie. You can watch a lot of commercial free iTunes content for $80 a month.
    You're very right in concept, and I did this years ago too. But in my case, that $80 bill included my cable modem that I now pay $50/mo for (and consider a fair price, as it is speedy and reliable.) But of course, I didn't have any premium service for the additional $30. Still - even $30/mo buys plenty of content. 

What I would be most interested in is PPV sporting events. $.99 or so to get a live stream of a particular NFL or NHL game? Sure. But that ain't happening when their subscriptions are so lucrative. 

I also have a public library with not only tons of DVD based content, but streaming stuff too. All free. Free is a good price.

Another clever model would be for content providers to offer opt-in ads. Make an account with user preferences for ads, and each time I sit through one, my account gets credited some meager amount. Then use that payment to pay for other content. Given that the viewers are selecting themselves as a target, it would seem that the provider could charge advertisers way more. And you know...if it really was targeted based on my input, I might actually be interested in what they have to sell. I still don't know why I get ads from the Boeing Company on my TV. They expect me to buy airliners or missiles? Odd.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    eightzero said:
    daven said:
    You're very right in concept, and I did this years ago too. But in my case, that $80 bill included my cable modem that I now pay $50/mo for (and consider a fair price, as it is speedy and reliable.) But of course, I didn't have any premium service for the additional $30. Still - even $30/mo buys plenty of content. 

What I would be most interested in is PPV sporting events. $.99 or so to get a live stream of a particular NFL or NHL game? Sure. But that ain't happening when their subscriptions are so lucrative. 

I also have a public library with not only tons of DVD based content, but streaming stuff too. All free. Free is a good price.

Another clever model would be for content providers to offer opt-in ads. Make an account with user preferences for ads, and each time I sit through one, my account gets credited some meager amount. Then use that payment to pay for other content. Given that the viewers are selecting themselves as a target, it would seem that the provider could charge advertisers way more. And you know...if it really was targeted based on my input, I might actually be interested in what they have to sell. I still don't know why I get ads from the Boeing Company on my TV. They expect me to buy airliners or missiles? Odd.
    1) I love not having ads on Netflix and Hulu. Paying an additional $5 a month on Hulu for add-free content is well worth it, IMO. While I certainly waste plenty of time on any given day, it's wasted on my schedule, not theirs.

2) You also get original programming that you won't get access to with your standard cable channels. Of course, there will certainly be scripted content (probably even more) that you can't get access to with Netflix (at least not right away) and likely even Hulu. Does basic cable come with on-demand?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    daven said:

1) I love not having ads on Netflix and Hulu. Paying an additional $5 a month on Hulu for add-free content is well worth it, IMO. While I certainly waste plenty of time on any given day, it's wasted on my schedule, not theirs.

2) You also get original programming that you won't get access to with your standard cable channels. Of course, there will certainly be scripted content (probably even more) that you can't get access to with Netflix (at least not right away) and likely even Hulu. Does basic cable come with on-demand?
    All fair, all a very individual choice. I actually have no need for on-demand. I simply don't consume enough, and if there really is something I want to see, it will eventually show up on DVD at my public library for free, and with no ads. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    daven said:

All fair, all a very individual choice. I actually have no need for on-demand. I simply don't consume enough, and if there really is something I want to see, it will eventually show up on DVD at my public library for free, and with no ads. 
    Same here....i have streaming Netflix but hardly watch. Maybe the regulators will have a senses of relaxing and looking at these companies as being anti-competitive 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    jbdragon said:

I agree, if every network is going to put their content behind a paywall streaming service they can expect piracy to return. I’m certainly interested in some programming like Star Trek, but I won’t subscribe to a service like CBS just for that. At least with my seasonal subscription to HBO there are multiple shows, films, and documentaries I’m interested in, which makes it worth the price per month during a show’s run. 

But, to each their own. Maybe others enjoy all the archived network reruns. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Soli said:
    Can we wait until AppleTV+ actually launches before you start calling other services a challenger to it? I see Apple as the challenger here, not NBC who already has a a successful all-you-can-eat steaming service with original content with Hulu.
    Hulu is now controlled by Disney. They bought up AT&T’s stake and assumed the Fox stake when they bought the studio out.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    davgreg said:
    Soli said:
    Hulu is now controlled by Disney. They bought up AT&T’s stake and assumed the Fox stake when they bought the studio out.
    I'm under the impression that Comcast still owns 1/3, but even if they own nothing NBC still has a history of a successful streaming service under its belt.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Netflix & Amazon (my interest is diminishing)
    NBC Universal - is out!  comcast! NFW!
    CBS re-killed the already dead Star Trek franchise so again NFW.
    I limit my subscriptions and rental fees to < $50 month so Apple and Disney are good, Amazon is part of my Prime (but as the evil empire that Amazon has become, I will likely punt this in the near future). Netflix is becoming irrelevant and more expensive.
    JWSCjpmorgan5151
  • Reply 15 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jbdragon said:

Makes you realize how great an idea Apples rumored attempts at combining everyone's content into one platform was.

daven said:

Why do people ignore iTunes? Sometimes I laugh when people are choosing which streaming service to pay for next month when my iTunes library absolutely DESTROYS any content available on any of these services.

Some iTunes movies drop to $4.99 and that includes 4k Dolby Vision with Atmos! Some movies have even dropped to $3.99!!
    edited July 2019 JWSC
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yay, another damned subscription service I will never pay for...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    You must think of this in corporate, MBA weenie terms. Cable services are in decline. Other companies have gone with a steaming service. Your owner is asking what you are doing to deal with declining revenues to justify your six to seven figure salary. 
    So you pay a bunch of dark, back room lads and lasses to build yet another streaming service, and bullshit “it’s a very innovative way” with a straight face. Because to do anything else would be to admit you got nothun. 
    AppleExposedJWSC
  • Reply 18 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    entropys said:
    You must think of this in corporate, MBA weenie terms. Cable services are in decline. Other companies have gone with a steaming service. Your owner is asking what you are doing to deal with declining revenues to justify your six to seven figure salary. 
    So you pay a bunch of dark, back room lads and lasses to build yet another streaming service, and bullshit “it’s a very innovative way” with a straight face. Because to do anything else would be to admit you got nothun. 
    Bingo!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
  • Reply 20 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soon to be Bruce's next song ... "57 streaming channels and nothin' on"