Apple buys Intel modem business in $1B deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Great move.... congrats Apple
    AppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 62
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Not sure if this is a good move or not. Time will tell. I do think it makes sense for Apple not to be 100% reliant on Qualcomm for it's future 5G modems. In typical Apple fashion, they will want to optimize the hardware and software stacks for any unique features as well as maximum performance. Also, from everything I've read this Fall's refreshes will still have Lightning and 4G while the Fall 2020 refresh will introduce USB-C and 5G into the platform. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Have those Nortel patents for LTE that Apple bought amounted to anything yet? I ask because I wonder if this is about Apple investing in their cellular radios or using it as a investment to stave off future patent trolls.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 62
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    More ammunition for know-nothing congressional “trust” busters. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 62
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    elijahg said:
    Seems like a good move to me. Both reduced dependence on Qualcomm, and increased competition.
    AND as a defence against patent trolls.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 50member
    I saw this coming when Intel got out of the modem biz. I imagine it’s been in the works since before then.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 62
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Now Apple has an arsenal of patents which they can leverage to protect themselves against patent trolls, and perhaps the likes of Qcom. 

As a defensive move, Apple had no choice. Let QCOM or someone else buy up these patents? Not on your life.
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 62
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I bet this is good.

I just don't understand why YET.

All will be known soon fellas!!
    What do you mean? From the first sentence: “furthering the tech giant's plans to take ownership of iPhone's communications stack.“
    Which is as vague as when Apple bought Primesense and Authentic.

Yeah motion detection and fingerprint sensing but Apple goes above and beyond their acquisitions wildest possibilities. We never imagined ApplePay, Sign in with Apple and Animoji. Don't think Apple will be on stage and just say "By the way, we make our own modems now" and move on to the next announcement.

My mind can only comprehend some possibilities for now:
    The worlds fastest 5G system on chip in the world. May even be in it's own class and chip.
    Still don't know what you mean. The reason they bought this was obvious, as you stated at the end — they're building a 5G modem, have problems with Qualcomm, Intel quit the biz but holds significant IP and may have made progress on certain things that can accelerate development, etc. I don't know what you mean with regard to Primesense and Authentic — those technologies were means to an end in the exact same way. If your point is that they're not *just* going to make a 5G modem and stop there, then "duh".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Intels CPU chips are also slowly falling behind. Which makes me wonder if Apple is ready to acquire that business too.
    LOL what are you smoking?
    AppleExposedelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 62
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I bet this is good.

I just don't understand why YET.

All will be known soon fellas!!
    What do you mean? From the first sentence: “furthering the tech giant's plans to take ownership of iPhone's communications stack.“
    Which is as vague as when Apple bought Primesense and Authentic.

Yeah motion detection and fingerprint sensing but Apple goes above and beyond their acquisitions wildest possibilities. We never imagined ApplePay, Sign in with Apple and Animoji. Don't think Apple will be on stage and just say "By the way, we make our own modems now" and move on to the next announcement.

My mind can only comprehend some possibilities for now:
    The worlds fastest 5G system on chip in the world. May even be in it's own class and chip.
    Still don't know what you mean. The reason they bought this was obvious, as you stated at the end — they're building a 5G modem, have problems with Qualcomm, Intel quit the biz but holds significant IP and may have made progress on certain things that can accelerate development, etc. I don't know what you mean with regard to Primesense and Authentic — those technologies were means to an end in the exact same way. If your point is that they're not *just* going to make a 5G modem and stop there, then "duh".

Stating the obvious. Thanks.

Intels CPU chips are also slowly falling behind. Which makes me wonder if Apple is ready to acquire that business too.

Common sense?
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Cellular equipped Macs. Those are going to be great. Nearly everyone who uses an Always Connected PC or cellular iPad swears by being, well, always connected. Integrating this into all Macbooks will heavily drive up the added value for each on. Might even be able to supercharge the new Find My ecosystem, though I don't think that Apple will do that. Not until the modems are power efficient enough to compete with Bluetooth for device tracking. 

All in all, very exciting to see what Apple will do with this acquisition beyond simply slapping another Apple-made part into the iPhone in lieu of a non-Apple-made part.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 62

Common sense?
    How is it common sense that Apple would buy out Intel's CPU division, which is like 60% revenue of a company with a $233B market cap? Especially when all signs have been pointing to their own silicon development?
    MacPromuthuk_vanalingamelijahgwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 33 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple has been making more and more of their own chips. It started with Apple's A4 processor. They'\re now doing their own GPU, I believe Battery chips, The T1, and W1, etc. The modem is a big part of a smartphone. That is something else Apple wants full control of. They can custom build the chips to their own specs. Not some general modem that works for anything and everything. Apple may have their own idea's on the area's to best focus on and in the end, end up with a much better modem for themselves that ONLY they can use. A modem not found on any other phone but iPhones.

To just get away from Qualcomm is a huge plus. Tired of being raped by them. Because the iPhones are higher end phones, Apple is charged MORE that most Android phones made that are sold for a lot less. They're charging by the device price being sold, not their tech on the chip.

It's a smart move. Maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade, that new iPhone will have Apple's own modem in it. I upgrade every 4 years. So I got the iPhone XS last year, 2018, so that means whatever the phone is called in 2022, that will be the iPhone I get. I upgrade my phones every 4 years. I had a iPhone 6 and a iPhone 4, and before that dumb phones which I upgraded every 4 years also. It's worked out pretty good for me. Though I have to say, I think this INTEL modem sucks! It's weak in area's I connected better on my iPhone 6. If there's a really good reason to upgrade in 2-3 years, maybe I will. Only time will tell.
    edited July 2019 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 62
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I'd say this is bad news for Qualcomm. Intel wasn't a competitive threat, but Qualcomm could claim they were when anti-trust regulators came snooping around. 

Now, these Intel assets will become a genuine competitive threat, but only for iPhones -- Qualcomm will be perceived (rightly so) as a monopolist in the Android space (well, at least in markets where IP laws are enforced, aka not China), and they will face stronger antitrust scrutiny. 

Ha! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 62
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

Common sense?
    How is it common sense that Apple would buy out Intel's CPU division, which is like 60% revenue of a company with a $233B market cap? Especially when all signs have been pointing to their own silicon development?
    They don’t need to buy the whole CPU division, they may just license some x86 if Intel somewhat continuously fails to deliver. That last deal shows their business alliance goes well beyond pop-culture memes and urban legends.
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 62

Common sense?

It was just an idea based on events. No need to get riled up.

I was not aware that their market cap was that huge but as I said, if they keep delivering too late they can't stay valuable forever. Any company can drop in value with stagnation. But with that big of a market cap it will take more time than I thought.

Of course anything can happen and Intel can began to deliver again.

"Especially when all signs have been pointing to their own silicon development?"

Isn't this what they were doing with modems? Exactly why I thought in the future Intel(or at least their CPU patents) could be a buy.

Cellular equipped Macs. Those are going to be great. Nearly everyone who uses an Always Connected PC or cellular iPad swears by being, well, always connected. Integrating this into all Macbooks will heavily drive up the added value for each on. Might even be able to supercharge the new Find My ecosystem, though I don't think that Apple will do that. Not until the modems are power efficient enough to compete with Bluetooth for device tracking. 

All in all, very exciting to see what Apple will do with this acquisition beyond simply slapping another Apple-made part into the iPhone in lieu of a non-Apple-made part.

Exactly! Someone thinking outside the box. I didn't even think of Macs.

Like I said earlier Apple could provide a service that connects all you iCloud devices online including Macs.

Imagine your Apple TV, Glasses, Macs, Car, iPad all connected to the fastest network in the world seamlessly and communicating. Like we said, I doubt Apple will just slap the modem into iPhones and call it a day. There's more coming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 62

Common sense?
    They don’t need to buy the whole CPU division, they may just license some x86 if Intel somewhat continuously fails to deliver. That last deal shows their business alliance goes well beyond pop-culture memes and urban legends.
    Well, that's something else entirely than what I was responding to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 62

Common sense?

I was not aware that their market cap was that huge but as I said, if they keep delivering too late they can't stay valuable forever. Any company can drop in value with stagnation. But with that big of a market cap it will take more time than I thought.

So who then in this fantasy scenario would be making CPUs for the entire worldwide PC/server market? Keep in mind AMD licenses x86 from Intel.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 62

Common sense?

So who then in this fantasy scenario would be making CPUs for the entire worldwide PC/server market? Keep in mind AMD licenses x86 from Intel.

Already explained. Who would have guessed just 4 years ago Apple would acquire this business? Anything can happen in 5-10 years.

Do you think IF Apple releases ARM Macs some of Intels patents/expertise won't overlap? You got me on the market cap comment, I didn't realize it was so huge. I was thinking 20B and would tank if a competitor arose.

Again I ask what patents are really worth when anyone can steal your ideas nowadays. Apple on the other hand plays by the rules.

Edit: Oops misread your comment. I think Intel can as a separate developer/manufacturing entity.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 40 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Good bye, Qualcomm
    watto_cobra